Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 442889 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Haken v. Virus (now July 24th)
« Reply #4900 on: August 01, 2020, 01:04:42 PM »
Has anyone else gotten their CD from Burning Shed yet? I just got mine in today (even though it shipped a day AFTER MPG's Cover Anthology, which I haven't received yet....hope it's still on its way).....and well, something peculiar has occurred.

I got the signed postcard that came with the CD, and there are only five band signatures on it. I can easily make out Richard, Ray, and Conner, but the other two, I'm not sure, but they look like Charlie's and Ross's signatures.

When I got Affinity, I got a signed postcard with that one, and it has all six members' signatures on it, so I'm not sure what happened here, why Diego wasn't able to sign the postcards... curiouser and curiouser...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4901 on: August 01, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
Yeah someone else noticed the same thing with theirs and posted it on Reddit a week ago or so: https://www.reddit.com/r/Haken/comments/hx4f5t/just_received_my_copy_of_virus_from_burning_shed/

It's got to the point now where it'd be weirder if Diego isn't leaving/hasn't left than if he is/has.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4902 on: August 01, 2020, 01:20:59 PM »
Doesn't Diego live in Mexico? If so, that can easily be explained by Covid making it kinda pointless to send stuff over to Mexico just for him to sign it and send it back to the UK or wherever Burning Shed are based. And he probably couldn't, or didn't want to, fly to the UK in the midst of a global pandemic just for something like that.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4903 on: August 01, 2020, 01:32:33 PM »
Doesn't Diego live in Mexico? If so, that can easily be explained by Covid making it kinda pointless to send stuff over to Mexico just for him to sign it and send it back to the UK or wherever Burning Shed are based. And he probably couldn't, or didn't want to, fly to the UK in the midst of a global pandemic just for something like that.

That makes the most sense, though I wonder why Burning Shed (which is located in the UK) wouldn't at least put an asterisk on it and say the postcards wouldn't have Diego's signature on it, just to inform fans who might have been expecting the whole band to sign the cards.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4904 on: August 01, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
Actually, it's all a trick. Diego is kicking everyone else out of Haken.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4905 on: August 01, 2020, 04:55:57 PM »

That makes the most sense, though I wonder why Burning Shed (which is located in the UK) wouldn't at least put an asterisk on it and say the postcards wouldn't have Diego's signature on it, just to inform fans who might have been expecting the whole band to sign the cards.

-Marc.

If this is the reason for the delay, so fans can get what they paid for with all Band members signatures, I don't see why they couldn't do what you just said. Send an email telling fans due to recent events, Diego will unfortunately not be signing the pre-order packages.

He will be the most sought out member after shows, once they begin again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #4906 on: August 01, 2020, 05:05:22 PM »
Thomas MacLean's departure was announced roughly one month after the release of The Mountain. If the rumours are true, I expect an announcement in a similar timeframe.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4907 on: August 01, 2020, 05:09:25 PM »
Thomas MacLean's departure was announced roughly one month after the release of The Mountain. If the rumours are true, I expect an announcement in a similar timeframe.

In that situation, they needed to make the announcement before the shows started. In this situation, there’s not necessarily that element of time pressure because who knows when any live shows will happen.

But I do wish they would say something. It’s possible they have a replacement lined up and don’t want to make an announcement until after the legalities are taken care of. That is **IF** any of this speculation has any merit
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4908 on: August 01, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »
Actually, it's all a trick. Diego is kicking everyone else out of Haken.

Plot twist: Diego is the Cockroach King.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4909 on: August 02, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »
Honestly I think Virus is slowly becoming my second favorite Haken album (after The Mountain).

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4910 on: August 02, 2020, 04:54:04 PM »
Honestly I think Virus is slowly becoming my second favorite Haken album (after The Mountain).
This is the correct opinion. :biggrin:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4911 on: August 02, 2020, 06:49:11 PM »

Honestly, I think it's rising with every listen.  I mentioned initially I didn't think it would be a top album, but then later said it was better than Vector.  It might be better than Affinity after a few more listens.  I love the callbacks to older works that I didn't immediately pick up and the melodies that I am now loving.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4912 on: August 03, 2020, 12:08:37 AM »
I still don't know where to put the album in my rankings. The Mountain is still #1, but then it's pretty much up in the air how the rest of them place.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #4913 on: August 03, 2020, 01:14:02 AM »
After spending a week and a half with the album, it ended up at the bottom of my list, unfortunately. It is fairly consistent and solid, but not a single song truly blew me away. When I put the best songs on previous albums against this album's highlights, it underwhelms me quite a bit.

Maybe it will turn out to be a grower over the next months, though.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4914 on: August 03, 2020, 03:00:14 AM »

In that situation, they needed to make the announcement before the shows started. In this situation, there’s not necessarily that element of time pressure because who knows when any live shows will happen.

But I do wish they would say something. It’s possible they have a replacement lined up and don’t want to make an announcement until after the legalities are taken care of. That is **IF** any of this speculation has any merit

Not really, because Thomas McLean was there for all the Mountain shows I saw. I’m fairly sure either his departure announcement came a lot later (way more than a month after the release, I can’t remember) or they did it early because it was a mutual decison and they needed the time to find a replacement.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4915 on: August 03, 2020, 03:08:41 AM »
The Mountain came out in June and the announcement of Tom leaving was in September, so it was 3 months. And he did play a few more shows after that, so the announcement was before he actually left, which was in October.

I be am boner inducing.

Online BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4916 on: August 03, 2020, 03:26:10 AM »
I believe The Mountain got released on 2 September 2013

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4917 on: August 03, 2020, 03:27:39 AM »
I believe The Mountain got released on 2 September 2013
Crap, you're right - it was announced in June, came out in September. So yeah Tom's departure was announced really quickly then. Forgot all about that.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

« Reply #4918 on: August 03, 2020, 03:44:19 AM »
I guess The Mountain was released to you in June, being an insider ;)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4919 on: August 03, 2020, 03:46:10 AM »
:lol Fair point, my timescales when it comes to Haken are somewhat confused.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4920 on: August 03, 2020, 05:40:42 AM »
I am 100% in love with Messiah Complex and first now when I stopped spamming the album over and over do I realize how much I hate when an obvious single track (that isn't even that long) is split into tracks. This is horrible in any normal playlist.

Offline me7

« Reply #4921 on: August 03, 2020, 07:18:36 AM »
Psst, I can hook you up with some freeware software, that allows you to edit it together as a single track :coolio

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4922 on: August 03, 2020, 07:27:23 AM »
Messiah Complex isn't a single track, and I maintain works best as 5 separate tracks.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4923 on: August 03, 2020, 07:50:43 AM »
Looks like Haken are on the Download 2021 bill, should know more about Deigo then  :lol

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4924 on: August 03, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
Psst, I can hook you up with some freeware software, that allows you to edit it together as a single track :coolio

If only Spotify allowed me to utilize that. I do use my own library from time to time but it's getting less often.

Messiah Complex isn't a single track, and I maintain works best as 5 separate tracks.

I don't know. I can see how it's individual tracks logically but I can't see me listening to any of them individually  ;D SDOIT works in this way since every piece (except Overture maybe) are long enough and doesn't need to flow to the next piece to work. Here I would say they need each other to work. Every song is so unsatisfying if they just start and end without the other piece.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4925 on: August 03, 2020, 08:05:47 AM »
Oh actually that brings me to HDtracks. Any difference with the album version there? Is it worth it?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4926 on: August 03, 2020, 08:06:00 AM »
I can see how it's individual tracks logically but I can't see me listening to any of them individually  ;D SDOIT works in this way since every piece (except Overture maybe) are long enough and doesn't need to flow to the next piece to work. Here I would say they need each other to work. Every song is so unsatisfying if they just start and end without the other piece.

I agree with this.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4927 on: August 03, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »

If only Spotify allowed me to utilize that. I do use my own library from time to time but it's getting less often.
You can add local files to Spotify, but only for listening on that device, so you couldn't sync it up to listen elsewhere.

I don't know. I can see how it's individual tracks logically but I can't see me listening to any of them individually  ;D SDOIT works in this way since every piece (except Overture maybe) are long enough and doesn't need to flow to the next piece to work. Here I would say they need each other to work. Every song is so unsatisfying if they just start and end without the other piece.
I mean, I rarely listen to any songs individually anyway as I'm an album listener. I do occasionally just have a craving to check out an individual song, and indeed with Messiah Complex for example I've listened to A Glutton for Punishment & Marigold a couple of times without the other movements.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

« Reply #4928 on: August 03, 2020, 08:58:22 AM »
I love how they handle guitar solos nowadays, sparsely but precise. There are just four of them on the album and they all rule.

Usually I listen to albums start to finish, but I jumped a few times to Ectobius Rex to digest that epic Peteucci solo. So I'm in the pro-split camp on this one.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4929 on: August 03, 2020, 09:36:39 AM »
Usually I listen to albums start to finish, but I jumped a few times to Ectobius Rex to digest that epic Peteucci solo. So I'm in the pro-split camp on this one.

Oh, yeah? :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4930 on: August 03, 2020, 09:42:24 AM »
You can hear Petrucci in some of Haken’s lead. Sounds like a Richard Henshall solo, but he was obviously influenced by Petrucci indeed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4931 on: August 03, 2020, 09:52:11 AM »
Yeah that's one of Hen's, although it is more Petrucci-esque in style than the jazzier and/or more tapping approaches he often takes with his leads.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4932 on: August 03, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
The ‘jazz’-ish / tapping thing is of the later years though. Definitely a development of an own style, and great to witness.
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4933 on: August 03, 2020, 12:06:54 PM »
This is the correct opinion. :biggrin:

Close.

Mountain, Aquarius, and then Virus.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #4934 on: August 03, 2020, 12:26:21 PM »
When Haken does start back touring will they tour with Devon or be the headline with one or two other bands?  I saw them in a small venue(exit-inn) in Nashville last year and was hoping they get to upgrade the next time around.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.