Author Topic: Rob Halford Kicks Phone out of Fan's Hands  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Rob Halford Kicks Phone out of Fan's Hands
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2019, 07:43:51 AM »
He's used one for a while, at least since he re-joined Priest.  Some songs he handles just fine and others he needs it.  I don't mind it, though it's obvious when he is reading the lyrics.  I'd rather have that then a singer embarassingly forget the words on stage.

Sure, but is it that hard to remember? Like that's his job.  If you said he's got some memory issues or something than I'd understand.

Maybe it is harder for him to remember certain songs.  Judas Rising seems to be one of those - he used a prompter on the Rising in the East DVD from 2005 and it's obvious on that song.  I haven't read KK's book, but I did see something that he was irritated by Rob's reliance on a teleprompter over the years.  He's not the only singer to use one.

I've softened my stance on singers that use them.  Sure, it's obvious and a let down, but I'd rather see that then have them forget the words on stage.  It is what it is...and if Rob needs to handle fan interference on his own because he can't see the lyrics when he needs to, so be it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2019, 07:59:27 AM »
He's not the only singer to use one.

I've seen it once before, Tom from Evergrey in his first show with Redemption used it for the older material.  I thought it sucked he couldn't put in the effort to learn a handful of songs for the show, but there was a reason, he was new to the band.  I haven't heard of long time singers of bands doing it though, but I'm sure there are others.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
Dunno why teleprompters are bad. No one gets mad at Jordan (or literally any classical musician) having the sheet music in front of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2019, 08:09:37 AM »
I'm pretty sure there's some context behind it as Rob says, I mean there's over 1000 people filming him every night so why on earth would he just suddenly smack someones phone out without a reason? So if there's a reason that's what I call rock n roll.  :metal and it was a good kick!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 08:09:55 AM »
If you're the real Metal God, you shouldn't have to refer to yourself as such. That's why Bruce Dickinson has never done it.  :biggrin:

It's funny, Katt.  I'm a big Priest fan.  First concert ever, to this day I regularly listen to the 70's albums (Stained Class, Sin After Sin mainly) and the early 80's records (Point of Entry through Defenders) and while I kind of think that KK and Glenn are... well, let's say, have an attitude, I'm a big fan of Rob.  I think Bruce is the best metal frontman of all time, but PURE VOICE, I think Rob is the best singer in metal (better than Tater, because of his tone, even if Tate has a more technically impressive voice).

Having said that, Priest was always a second-tier band for me, because there was always that whiff of cartoon.  I've written about this before, but between the "Mettle God" (because that's how he pronounces it, with his Birmingham accent) and some of the nonsense with KK/Glenn (listing every solo, etc.) and management, it always came across as more of an act than some of the other bands.    Still love the music, don't get me wrong, but I get the sense of "business" with Priest more than I do with other bands like Sabbath and Maiden.     (And I know you can point to "business things" with those bands, but it's different, and I'm more than willing to unpack that, but won't unless asked, because of space). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2019, 08:11:28 AM »
Dunno why teleprompters are bad. No one gets mad at Jordan (or literally any classical musician) having the sheet music in front of them.

He's not the frontman who looks into the crowd or engages with it, and when he does like using the keytar he doesnt bring his ipad with him, plus he has crazy gadgets that probably need the timing.  I think he has real reasons, that's what I am wondering what the real reason is.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2019, 08:12:15 AM »
To be fair, there's a school of thought amongst classical musicians that you should perform without having the music in front of you if you're a solo performer or doing a concerto, not so much if you're sitting in a full orchestra. Anecdotal evidence, sure, but when I was in college working on my piano degree, it was very much frowned upon to perform at a recital or other concert with the music in front of you because it indicated you hadn't fully memorized the piece, and from that point you can master the music without worrying about forgetting notes. In Jordan's case I think his parts are way more complicated than a vocalist carrying one melodic line, but I bet Jordan can play all those songs in his sleep anyway, so I dunno.

But that's very different from Halford's position, I don't think it's bad per se, but more than anything I'm just curious why he'd need one after decades of singing in the band.

@Stads: I get the same impression, I understand what you're saying. One of the reasons I want to see Maiden live is that electric 'have fun and enjoy some fucking metal' energy they exude, especially Bruce.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2019, 08:18:23 AM »

He's not the frontman who looks into the crowd or engages with it, and when he does like using the keytar he doesnt bring his ipad with him, plus he has crazy gadgets that probably need the timing.  I think he has real reasons, that's what I am wondering what the real reason is.

I assume the real reason is that he can't remember all the lyrics. Like a lot of humans. Especially ones his age. Again, dunno why it's a big deal. Not like he's staring at it the whole show.

I remember Axl always had one even back in the UYI days and was still a fantastic front man. They were there if necessary but weren't used all the time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2019, 08:20:09 AM »
Teleprompter:   There's a photo in the Reunion Live CD package that shows Ozzy standing on stage in front of a teleprompter. 

I'm of two minds.  I sang in a band and I had a lot of trouble remembering lyrics.   I didn't need a teleprompter, but for certain songs, it helped to have the first word of every verse.   I know all the words to "Yesterday" by the Beatles, but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you the order of the verses.  How James LaBrie does what he does just floors me on a continual basis.   There are other singers as well:  Neal Morse is one.   The guys from the Dead were impressive in that way as well.

Someone who needs a teleprompter:
https://youtu.be/pB8tyjN5of0

(By the way, the comments are a treasure trove if you have the time and the wherewithall.  My favorite?  "Something's wrong with the audio... lyrics keep dropping out!")

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2019, 08:23:03 AM »

I assume the real reason is that he can't remember all the lyrics. Like a lot of humans. Especially ones his age. Again, dunno why it's a big deal. Not like he's staring at it the whole show.

I remember Axl always had one even back in the UYI days and was still a fantastic front man. They were there if necessary but weren't used all the time.

It's not a big deal and no one said that it was, just asking out of curiosity since I haven't really seen this myself (or noticed it if it was the case).  Although I'm not a fan of a singer of a band (for how many years?) not knowing the lyrics.  It feels lazy but yea, if his memory is shot it makes sense and I'd rather him keep at it with the teleprompter than going with someone else. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2019, 08:24:56 AM »
To be fair, there's a school of thought amongst classical musicians that you should perform without having the music in front of you if you're a solo performer or doing a concerto, not so much if you're sitting in a full orchestra. Anecdotal evidence, sure, but when I was in college working on my piano degree, it was very much frowned upon to perform at a recital or other concert with the music in front of you because it indicated you hadn't fully memorized the piece, and from that point you can master the music without worrying about forgetting notes. In Jordan's case I think his parts are way more complicated than a vocalist carrying one melodic line, but I bet Jordan can play all those songs in his sleep anyway, so I dunno.

But that's very different from Halford's position, I don't think it's bad per se, but more than anything I'm just curious why he'd need one after decades of singing in the band.

@Stads: I get the same impression, I understand what you're saying. One of the reasons I want to see Maiden live is that electric 'have fun and enjoy some fucking metal' energy they exude, especially Bruce.

Have you not seen Maiden?    You must go.  Ask Cram, we saw him in Brooklyn on the last tour (the last night of the tour).   He LITERALLY left everything on the stage (he threw all his clothes into the crowd during the last song).  But he's a literal dynamo for the entire set, and yet never missed a cue, never flubbed a lyric, never hid behind the amp line...  I'm sort of on my victory lap of concerts now, seeing bands I haven't seen or big bands in smaller venues, but Maiden is the one band still on the "go see them every tour no matter what shitty arena or shed they're playing in" list.

Offline Adami

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 08:26:52 AM »
Well, not everyone has an incredible memory. It's sort of like the difference between screen and stage acting.

You can be a Daniel Day Lewis level actor, but that doesn't mean you can memorize 90 minutes of dialogue. Nor does remembering 90 minutes of dialogue demonstrate your skills as an actor, you know? Similarly, not memorizing 90 minutes (or longer) of lyrics doesn't make you a bad singer or a lazy one. I haven't seen Judas Priest live and I am not a huge fan of their music, but I assume their shows don't have long instrumental sections and so forth to even things out a bit. I assume the time he's singing is much higher (in a given length show) than even someone like LaBrie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »

Have you not seen Maiden?    You must go.  Ask Cram, we saw him in Brooklyn on the last tour (the last night of the tour).   He LITERALLY left everything on the stage (he threw all his clothes into the crowd during the last song).  But he's a literal dynamo for the entire set, and yet never missed a cue, never flubbed a lyric, never hid behind the amp line...  I'm sort of on my victory lap of concerts now, seeing bands I haven't seen or big bands in smaller venues, but Maiden is the one band still on the "go see them every tour no matter what shitty arena or shed they're playing in" list.

You coming back for round two this summer?  I have an extra ticket for night two, first row behind the pit (I have pit tickets for night 1) that no ones claimed yet so I'll be putting it up for sale soon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2019, 08:42:27 AM »
Unfortunately, no, but not for lack of desire or the company.  I'm flying to New Orleans the morning of the 26th for a few days, coming back... I think that Thursday.    I think the first show is the 26th and the added show is the 27th.   

I'm going to try to catch them in Hartford in August (I think that's the 6th).   Believe me, I would SOOOO much rather see them in Brooklyn than at the ampitheater in Hartford (I'm surprised they're actually playing there to be honest).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »
Like I said I don't think it's a big deal I just find it curious one would need a teleprompter after decades of singing the same songs, that's all. *shrug*

No, I've never seen Maiden. I don't like massive audiences at concerts so that's one reason but also the ticket prices sting, and I don't like being so far away from the band that I need a big screen to watch. I've been to a few of those and it's not as fun as I'd like; Motley Crue put on one hell of a show but I had lawn seats and they looked like ants. If I ever have a few hundred bucks to blow the next time they come through.... they're one of the last bands on my 'bucket list' of bands to see (them and Guns N' Roses, and uh... well that might be it honestly)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2019, 08:49:33 AM »
Yea, it's not the same seeing IM from the bleachers vs in the pit and their pit prices are really expensive, especially in Brooklyn.  Like $150 after fees

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »
A teleprompter can tell you a lot of things, not just lyrics. When to come in. How long a solo is. At what point to start the "sing along with me" shtick. JLB had specific lines printed on his paper setlist, presumably letting him know when various things happen, and if I know my DTF he was defended to the ends of the Earth for it. My recollection is that Rudess's sheet music isn't because he needs to know what to play, but rather to give him cues as to when everything happens, which makes a helluva lot of sense to me. My hunch is that somebody like Rob probably uses it to keep track of where he is in the song rather than needing to see all of the words.

Ian Gillan has a great story about using a lyric book during the Born Again tour and having it buried in the CO2 fog.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Pappy

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2019, 09:45:04 AM »
Like I said I don't think it's a big deal I just find it curious one would need a teleprompter after decades of singing the same songs, that's all. *shrug*

I would assume he isn't using it for Breaking the Law or Living after Midnight. But this tour has a few never before played songs and very very rarely played songs in the set so I could see him needing a teleprompter for them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2019, 09:50:10 AM »
And look, we all have skills.   Because he was born - and presumably nutured - one of the greatest voices in rock and roll history doesn't mean he was gifted with a spectacular memory, and even if he was, we all have "blind spots".    I can look at a VIN number on a car and remember it, to the point that when I get home I can do a car fax or call my insurance company and recite the VIN number verbatim.   I've already said, I know the verses to Yesterday but I constantly blank on their order (I used to sing that to my daughter at bed time). 

But here's interesting information:   If you watch the Costa Mesa video (where Rob infamously stepped in for Dio on the final show of their tour where they were on the bill with Ozzy on his first farewell tour) there's a spot - I can't remember the song - where Rob steps up to begin the verse, and Tony has to literally grab his sleeve and pull him back because he was a couple bars early.   So, it's not at all unreasonable to think that maybe his confidence and his performance needs that.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2019, 09:53:37 AM »
Yea, I agree with the "where was security" You got to think even if Rob didn't say anything himself, that someone else (maybe a crew member or definitely security at the barrier) would step in to resolve someone being significantly distractive to the performers.

Ugh, he refers to himself as The Metal God.

Exactly what I thought

and yea, wtf is that about  :lol

He's only done it for 30+ years....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2019, 10:15:47 AM »
meh, I've already never been a big fan of their music, calling yourself the metal god while singing off a teleprompter seems to be just odd to me.  I always respected Rob and JP as a whole for the metal world, but this just makes me think I wouldn't give them any money (not the kicking incident, that's the part I like the most here, add me to the group who would gladly let a "metal god" kick my phone).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2019, 10:36:37 AM »
I think it's quite possible that Rob Halford is generally a nice guy but that he was still wrong in this situation.  Kicking someone's phone, which probably costs at least $200, isn't cool.  Even if that person was interfering by using their flash - it's still not cool.  His statement didn't really indicate that there was "more to the story" either.  It was in his face, which can be blinding, but imo you just don't do that. 

As for the teleprompter - I guess I'd prefer someone not use one, but if they have to and can still deliver a good performance without it looking uncomfortable, then I don't really care.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2019, 10:41:04 AM »
He could've also potentially injured that guy in the face pretty badly if that kick was placed just right. I once saw the lead singer of Korpiklaani dropkick a half-empty can of beer and he misjudged the trajectory - it went flying straight into the face of a lady in the front row. Thankfully she was okay.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »

I'm surprised at the Teleprompter reaction as well.

My view is, I'm fine with Rob kicking that fans phone. He had good reason too. That's also your risk as a fan if you're dumb enough to enforce your way past the barrier. I'd rather had Rob do that instead of stopping the song which eats up set time and may lead to a song being dropped due to that asshole.

The fan should now be more wiser and learn to respect the barrier.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »
He could've also potentially injured that guy in the face pretty badly if that kick was placed just right. I once saw the lead singer of Korpiklaani dropkick a half-empty can of beer and he misjudged the trajectory - it went flying straight into the face of a lady in the front row. Thankfully she was okay.
For some reason, though, the visual of that made me laugh, in a "Ridiculousness" or "AFV" kind of way.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2019, 11:08:11 AM »
meh, I've already never been a big fan of their music, calling yourself the metal god while singing off a teleprompter seems to be just odd to me.  I always respected Rob and JP as a whole for the metal world, but this just makes me think I wouldn't give them any money (not the kicking incident, that's the part I like the most here, add me to the group who would gladly let a "metal god" kick my phone).

Sort of tangential, but Eddie Trunk has been pushing Priest for the RnRHoF as the next big metal act to get in, and I disagree for this reason.  It should be Maiden, because they're bigger, and while Priest has done it longer, they've got a more "act" or "staged" vibe than Maiden ever did.   Priest would never, ever in a million BILLION years release something like "Mission From 'Arry", not because they don't have a sense of humor, but because it exposes too much.    I know the two bands are friends and have been for a long time, but I bet you get a few stouts in him and Bruce would be the first to shake his head and say "I love and respect Rob, but the "Mettle God" thing...  I don't know about that!"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2019, 11:20:10 AM »
Yea, I agree with the "where was security" You got to think even if Rob didn't say anything himself, that someone else (maybe a crew member or definitely security at the barrier) would step in to resolve someone being significantly distractive to the performers.

Exactly what I thought

It's very egotistical. If you're given a nickname like that, you should be more humble. Unless it's more in jest. If he's playing along, whatever. Still kinda cringey.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »
Funny thing about this whole teleprompter discussion.  Bruce had made a comment about it in the past according to this article from Ultimate-Guitar.  Of course, we all assume that Halford don't need a teleprompter for the lyrics for Breaking The Law for reasons already discussed, but for something else like the timing of the song, but I just like how Bruce made his thoughts about it especially if you read it in his voice.

"We still don't have an Autocue. Yay! I never realised that people were using Autocues. What the f--k is that all about? People pay good money and you can't even remember the sodding words. The daftest one I ever saw was [Judas Priest's] 'Breaking the Law.' It's on the f--king Autocue. 'Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law' - guess what? - 'breaking the law.' It's ludicrous."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/wtf/bruce_dickinson_slams_judas_priest_for_using_an_autocue.html

Here was Halford's response to that.

"What we British say is it was just a storm in a teacup. I love Bruce. I love Bruce. He's a great friend of mine. And he's very outspoken."

"[He's a] great frontman, a great singer from a great band," Rob added (via Blabbermouth). "And, you know, these things are said in many ways, and I'm sure he didn't mean it in any other way than Bruce sometimes goes off in one of his rants. You know, it's just the way it goes. But, yes, storm in a teacup. Storm in a metal teacup."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/rob_halford_reacts_to_bruce_dickinsons_priest_diss_its_just_the_way_it_goes.html
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:29:25 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »
 :lol thats great

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »
Got to admit, that's pretty funny:  "Guess what?  Breaking the law!"    Haha. 

But that also goes to Rob's good nature. He's just not that guy, and I love him for that.   Not everything has to be a fight.

I make fun of it, but I think the "Metal God" thing is just a way to connect, and a way to "shorthand" the message.   Priest has long talked about the role of carrying the flag for metal, and they - moreso than Maiden, by a long shot, but kind of on par with Ronnie Dio who did the same thing - kind of instilled that in their music a little bit.   Hell, they have an album "DEFENDER'S OF THE FAITH".  "Faith" doesn't mean Judaism for f***'s sake.   I would be stunned if Rob has a shrine to himself in his study. :)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »
The fans started calling him the Metal God and it stuck.  He's very humble, yet protective, about it.  It's really not a big deal....the guy is one of the legendary singers in this genre and is very deserving of the title.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2019, 11:52:27 AM »
Strange timing; I've just read a rumor that Priest & Maiden will embark on a USA tour next year. Hm....

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2019, 12:01:15 PM »
Strange timing; I've just read a rumor that Priest & Maiden will embark on a USA tour next year. Hm....

I don't think it's really a big rumor as it is Ian Hill wants these bands to tour together before it is too late. 

https://loudwire.com/ian-hill-judas-priest-iron-maiden-tour/

I presume if this tour does take off and if they play in the Banc of California Stadium for the Los Angeles show, the seat I got for this year's Maiden show (which costs $70.00 and is in the bleachers in the far back of the stadium) would cost more if Priest was touring with them.  Which means I would pass on the show, unless Maiden gets their usual 100-110 minutes of set time.  I have not much desire to see Priest.  Nothing against them.  I just have no emotional investment for Priest like I do with Maiden.  I passed on a Groupon deal for a bleacher seat for like $30.00 last year with them and Deep Purple.  Probably was a nice night out for the oldest guards of metal music, but I don't think I enjoy it like I would an Iron Maiden show (new album tour or history tour).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:06:27 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2019, 12:06:41 PM »
I don't know if it would, Priest aren't much bigger than Alice Cooper these days (and not as big as Ghost) and I would think Priest would play the same role, a 45 minute good opener and prices would be relatively the same (probably more expensive as they are every year but not that much more than your typical yearly bump IMO).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »

Exactly what I thought

It's very egotistical. If you're given a nickname like that, you should be more humble. Unless it's more in jest. If he's playing along, whatever. Still kinda cringey.

I won't disagree that it's a little cringy, but it's a character he plays and, for the most part, fans eat it up.

I make fun of it, but I think the "Metal God" thing is just a way to connect, and a way to "shorthand" the message.   Priest has long talked about the role of carrying the flag for metal, and they - moreso than Maiden, by a long shot, but kind of on par with Ronnie Dio who did the same thing - kind of instilled that in their music a little bit.   Hell, they have an album "DEFENDER'S OF THE FAITH".  "Faith" doesn't mean Judaism for f***'s sake.   I would be stunned if Rob has a shrine to himself in his study. :)

Nailed it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung