Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 171787 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2100 on: September 01, 2022, 08:02:01 AM »
It's amazing/sad how little interest I have in anything related to Battlefield these days. I just don't care anymore.

Battlefield used to be the king of FPS games, not in terms of sales but content and quality.

All of those games just feel like a grind to me now. They feel like traps to make people constantly play. I don't like it.

I'm sort of in that mode with Battlefront now. I like the game, but I've accomplished all the low-hanging fruit with trophies, and now I'm just playing "Blast" over and over again, getting my ass handed to me by 12-year-olds just to get a handful of experience points each battle.  I'm still not sure, though, if I'm playing modded competition though; it still seems weird sometimes that it looks like people are shooting with shields (in the normal game if you have a shield it disables your weaponry) and I have the same problem as I did with Call Of Duty; it looks like I empty a clip into them and they stand there and two quick shots and I'm dead.  Battlefront shows the health of the person that killed you and more often than not that entire clip barely dents them; it's not like they got one more good shot in and got me.  I've felt like I've put five or six shots in and they are still at 100 as I die.  A normal game for me is 4, 5 kills and 10, 12 deaths.  A good game is 7, 8 kills and 10,15 deaths, and a bad night is 2, 3 kills and 17, 18 deaths.   

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2101 on: September 01, 2022, 08:04:55 AM »
One thing I have tried to be a lot better with in the last couple of years is stopping playing a game once I reach the point of diminishing returns. Given how little time I get to spend playing games relative to my 20s, I think its much more enjoyable to start on something fresh rather than continuing for the sake of the completionist part of me.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2102 on: September 01, 2022, 08:06:45 AM »
One thing I have tried to be a lot better with in the last couple of years is stopping playing a game once I reach the point of diminishing returns. Given how little time I get to spend playing games relative to my 20s, I think its much more enjoyable to start on something fresh rather than continuing for the sake of the completionist part of me.

it's a work in progress.  :)

I did buy Prey and I have Deus Ex Mankind Divided, so I feel like I do have quality gameplay ahead of me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2103 on: September 01, 2022, 08:16:44 AM »
It's amazing/sad how little interest I have in anything related to Battlefield these days. I just don't care anymore.

Battlefield used to be the king of FPS games, not in terms of sales but content and quality.

All of those games just feel like a grind to me now. They feel like traps to make people constantly play. I don't like it.

There's a plus/minus to these live service games.  You are spot on that they want you to constantly play and they reward you for doing so.  Whether that be having the "meta" guns and attachments in COD or just by unlocking the battle pass contents.  These games are designed to make you play and keep playing.  The positive is you get an ever evolving game with constant flow of content.  It's just very hard to be competitive if you aren't constantly playing.  In some ways, I'm a bit intimidated to pick COD back up after a couple months of not playing (and I don't plan on playing again until MW2) because I'd be rusty and also I won't have any of the new meta guns available so I'd be at a disadvantage for awhile until I grinded a bit.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2104 on: September 01, 2022, 08:27:35 AM »

it's a work in progress.  :)

I did buy Prey and I have Deus Ex Mankind Divided, so I feel like I do have quality gameplay ahead of me.

I'm having good fun with the former right now. The latter I never got around to but its on the list.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2105 on: September 02, 2022, 07:56:23 AM »
Resumed my Elden Ring playthrough last night. I'm really glad that I put it down for however long I did (I think it was a month or two). I feel recharged and ready to take it on. I'll probably go back and forth between that and TLOU1 over the next few weeks.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2106 on: September 08, 2022, 11:56:05 AM »
Finished TLOU Pt.2 with a platinum trophy.  Wow!  I forgot how long and how good that game truly is.  What a ride!  Oh and BTW, I played the PS4 version because there is no free upgrade to PS5.  Gotta pay full price just like the Pt.1 remake.  Oh well, will probably wait for the price drops on both of those.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2107 on: September 08, 2022, 09:10:46 PM »
Finished TLOU Pt.2 with a platinum trophy.  Wow!  I forgot how long and how good that game truly is.  What a ride!  Oh and BTW, I played the PS4 version because there is no free upgrade to PS5.  Gotta pay full price just like the Pt.1 remake.  Oh well, will probably wait for the price drops on both of those.

there is no PS5 version of TLOU 2
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 11:42:37 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2108 on: September 09, 2022, 10:30:01 AM »
I had the week off, so I blasted through TLOU1 remake. It's honestly super impressive. They've enhanced the visuals to where it's one of the best-looking PlayStation games on the market, and the gameplay improvements are appreciated despite being relatively minor. I understand the hesitation around the $70 price point (it feels wrong to me too) but this is an overall excellent release. I'm really happy that it exists and there's an even better way to play such a great game. I'm now revisiting some levels with cheats enabled to grab the collectibles I missed, which is a ton of fun. I originally beat the game on Survivor, which was a good experience, but it's also fun to just turn Joel into Rambo and rocket through levels.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2109 on: September 09, 2022, 11:07:31 AM »

It's an update patch to run 60 FPS on PS5.

I had the week off, so I blasted through TLOU1 remake. It's honestly super impressive. They've enhanced the visuals to where it's one of the best-looking PlayStation games on the market, and the gameplay improvements are appreciated despite being relatively minor. I understand the hesitation around the $70 price point (it feels wrong to me too) but this is an overall excellent release. I'm really happy that it exists and there's an even better way to play such a great game. I'm now revisiting some levels with cheats enabled to grab the collectibles I missed, which is a ton of fun. I originally beat the game on Survivor, which was a good experience, but it's also fun to just turn Joel into Rambo and rocket through levels.

I'm doing a play through right now in Survivor mode.  So far, so good.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2110 on: September 09, 2022, 02:04:22 PM »

I know but the 60 fps update is free, it’s still the same PS4 app. unless I misunderstood which is def possible, lol    :tup

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2111 on: September 10, 2022, 11:18:13 AM »

I know but the 60 fps update is free, it’s still the same PS4 app. unless I misunderstood which is def possible, lol    :tup

I’m probably the confused one.  Maybe ErHaO can shed some light on it.  He seems to be a TLOU expert.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2112 on: September 10, 2022, 04:35:18 PM »
Finished Prey a couple of days ago. Extremely solid immersive sim, and definitely feels like a worthy successor to the Shock-like games.

Picked up Ori and the Blind Forest, and Jedi Fallen Order on the cheap. Going to see how these fare.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2113 on: September 14, 2022, 08:29:41 AM »
Working my way through TLOU Pt.1 on survivor difficulty.  Wow, some of the gun battles really take some strategizing for more of a stealth approach.  Just not enough ammo to cap everyone.  :corn

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2114 on: September 14, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »
Finished Prey a couple of days ago. Extremely solid immersive sim, and definitely feels like a worthy successor to the Shock-like games.

Picked up Ori and the Blind Forest, and Jedi Fallen Order on the cheap. Going to see how these fare.

So, fallen order is basically a Star Wars Souls-lite, and I can definitely Jam with it.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2115 on: September 14, 2022, 09:42:08 AM »
SW:FO is another game I started briefly and have yet to return to it.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2116 on: September 14, 2022, 12:13:39 PM »
So excited we have a new release date (May 2023) for Breath of the Wild 2! I have to put Breath of the Wild as the top Zelda game I've ever played.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2117 on: September 14, 2022, 12:29:28 PM »
So excited we have a new release date (May 2023) for Breath of the Wild 2! I have to put Breath of the Wild as the top Zelda game I've ever played.

Those are on the Switch right?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2118 on: September 14, 2022, 12:31:15 PM »

Those are on the Switch right?

Yes.

I havent gone back to BOTW in like a month or so now, but I'll be playing it again real soon for my business trip next two weeks which I'm looking forward to diving back in.  Maybe I'll finish just in time for BOTW2

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2119 on: September 14, 2022, 12:37:01 PM »
Cool!  Been thinking about getting a Switch OLED.  Haven't played any Zelda games since SNES days.  Been ages.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2120 on: September 14, 2022, 12:39:56 PM »
Cool!  Been thinking about getting a Switch OLED.  Haven't played any Zelda games since SNES days.  Been ages.
OH wow, so you missed out on Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Twilight Princess. Etc. I'd say getting the OLED Switch is well worth it. I just got one about 6 months ago and love it.

Ocarina of Time will always be my favorite, but Breath of the Wild is a close second.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2121 on: September 14, 2022, 12:48:05 PM »
Yeah, gotta love the RPG's.  FF series is my fav.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2122 on: September 15, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »
Call of Duty has a big event today with all the top streamers playing the new COD, they played multiplayer earlier and now playing Warzone 2.  Pretty cool.  Looks like Warzone 2 is more like Blackout which is cool because that was a great BR game IMO.  No more loadouts so that's great too for people like myself who would rather play with what you got than grind to unlock the best guns to grab in a load out.  Game looks like every other COD but I think these updates are going to be a big W from what I am seeing today.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2123 on: September 15, 2022, 08:51:31 PM »
I don't know if I want BotW2. Zelda has been a favorite franchise of mine since the NES. Going all the way back to that console, every subsequent Zelda game has been different from the previous one. And I think that played to its advantage, even if the next game wasn't as good or well received as the previous one. Majora's Mask is the only one that could be considered a true follow-up, but while it looks and plays the same as Ocarina, it has a totally different feel to it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2124 on: September 16, 2022, 06:45:16 AM »
I don't know if I want BotW2. Zelda has been a favorite franchise of mine since the NES. Going all the way back to that console, every subsequent Zelda game has been different from the previous one. And I think that played to its advantage, even if the next game wasn't as good or well received as the previous one. Majora's Mask is the only one that could be considered a true follow-up, but while it looks and plays the same as Ocarina, it has a totally different feel to it.
From the trailer it looks like it may take mechanics from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword for BotW2. I enjoyed both of those, so I'm def excited.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2125 on: September 16, 2022, 07:10:13 AM »
I just hope they rework weapon degradation for the sequel.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: September 16, 2022, 08:01:46 AM »

I hope so too

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2127 on: September 19, 2022, 05:38:04 AM »
So.. Rockstar didn't have the best weekend, huh?   

That might be the craziest leak in the history of gaming. I watched maybe 35 or 40 of the leaked videos on Streamable. I've read that the footage is from 2019. I bet it looks absolutely ridiculous in current form.

If the source code has actually been stolen (for GTA-V as well), that's a whole different can of worms for the company.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2128 on: September 19, 2022, 06:41:46 AM »

I hope so too
I didn't really have an issue with the degradation. Whats the beef with it? I want to be able to overcome climbing during rain. Some meal or outfit boost would be nice. I hate having to just wait it out.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2129 on: September 19, 2022, 07:50:56 AM »
Yeah, I always ended up with more weapons than I could reasonably use and would have to drop some.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2130 on: September 19, 2022, 07:54:51 AM »
So.. Rockstar didn't have the best weekend, huh?   

That might be the craziest leak in the history of gaming. I watched maybe 35 or 40 of the leaked videos on Streamable. I've read that the footage is from 2019. I bet it looks absolutely ridiculous in current form.

If the source code has actually been stolen (for GTA-V as well), that's a whole different can of worms for the company.

I know there were leaks, didn't realize it was entire footage that got leaked. I thought it was just a few screenshots.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2131 on: September 19, 2022, 11:05:12 AM »
I think the count is 90 videos now. I'm pretty bummed for the team, must be gutting to see all that work out there.

Also with how gaming culture is if something is in the videos that isn't in the final game the gaming community will flip it's shit.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2132 on: September 19, 2022, 12:19:33 PM »
Yea it's such a ridicoulus thing that people actually legit complain about the quality of leaked stuff. People are so narrow minded they can't grasp the stages of game development.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: September 19, 2022, 02:59:10 PM »
I have no idea why people would complain. The one video I saw in the fast food joint looked great, let alone it being old alpha footage.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2134 on: September 22, 2022, 08:56:23 AM »
Finished TLOU Pt.1 on survivor difficulty. :eek  Do I dare try "grounded"?