Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 166723 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1820 on: April 30, 2024, 07:20:31 AM »
Love it like it or hate it, one thing Gilmour has done pretty well is dividing the "Floyd" from the "solo".  You can listen to The Division Bell and see the threads to the previous Floyd work, even if it's not exactly like "Animals".  I think for his last couple solo records, you'd be hard pressed to see the Floyd in them; they really are David's vision, for better or worse.   For ME, "On An Island" is the best of that lot.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1821 on: April 30, 2024, 07:21:15 AM »
On An Island is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1822 on: April 30, 2024, 07:23:30 AM »

Agreed–elevated by the immeasurable contributions of David Crosby and Graham Nash.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: April 30, 2024, 02:52:28 PM »
Love it like it or hate it, one thing Gilmour has done pretty well is dividing the "Floyd" from the "solo".  You can listen to The Division Bell and see the threads to the previous Floyd work, even if it's not exactly like "Animals".  I think for his last couple solo records, you'd be hard pressed to see the Floyd in them; they really are David's vision, for better or worse.   For ME, "On An Island" is the best of that lot.

Not always :lol. See the almost copy paste guitar solo from Raise My Rent off DGs solo record and Pink Floyd's What Do You Want From Me

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1824 on: May 01, 2024, 10:46:48 AM »

+1

One of my favourite albums of all time.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1825 on: May 01, 2024, 03:30:15 PM »
Saw an interview that he plans on touring this album and said that no one wants to re-visit 70's era Floyd on the tour. He said maybe Astronomy Domine would get played and then he would most likely focus on 80's/90's Floyd instead.

That's rather disappointing.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1826 on: May 01, 2024, 09:45:06 PM »
"no one" meaning no one he is touring with, or no one who might buy a ticket? Unless I am off, it seems like he has played only 4-5 songs from 70s Floyd on his recent tours, so this doesn't sound completely out of bounds. Of course not playing Comfortably Numb would be like.... dang it's late and I can't even think of a comparable analogy.

He's played Astronomy on tour (with post-RW Floyd) so that isn't new. And that's been part of Nick Mason's SoS set list as well.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: May 01, 2024, 10:09:39 PM »
I'm surprised that he's going on tour at all. Didn't think that'll happen again.

If he plays anywhere I could reasonably travel to, I'll consider going. Probably the last chance to see him live.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1828 on: May 02, 2024, 05:16:53 AM »
I am shocked that he plans to tour honestly but if he does I'm going to see him, I don't care if I have to take a loan out to see him.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: May 02, 2024, 05:25:13 AM »
I remember being quite surprised that he played Fat Old Sun a few years back (On An Island tour?). It's on the Gdansk live release.

I didn't think anyone from PF liked that album, they've been qute dismissive of it over the years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: May 02, 2024, 06:57:55 AM »
I love that song and love his extended solo. The one on the Remeber That Night DVD is phenomenal.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1831 on: May 02, 2024, 07:13:45 AM »
That performance of Fat Old Sun from Gdansk is so fucking amazing
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1832 on: May 02, 2024, 08:24:42 AM »
That performance of Fat Old Sun from Gdansk is so fucking amazing

That whole concert is a gem–one of my favorite live videos ever.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1833 on: May 02, 2024, 08:48:41 AM »
"no one" meaning no one he is touring with, or no one who might buy a ticket? Unless I am off, it seems like he has played only 4-5 songs from 70s Floyd on his recent tours, so this doesn't sound completely out of bounds. Of course not playing Comfortably Numb would be like.... dang it's late and I can't even think of a comparable analogy.

He's played Astronomy on tour (with post-RW Floyd) so that isn't new. And that's been part of Nick Mason's SoS set list as well.

He was talking about his touring band. He mentioned he revamped the band and there was total agreement that 70's Floyd was really not an interest to play.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/david-gilmour-shares-plans-to-tour-for-first-time-in-eight-years-3752370
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1834 on: May 02, 2024, 09:11:57 AM »
That whole concert is a gem–one of my favorite live videos ever.

Agreed.

I have not seen Gilmour solo, it's a bucket list item for me, really hope it comes to the US.

And I'm fine with whatever Floyd he wants to play, there has been plenty of the 70s/80s done to death be everyone. And Division Bell is a top 3 Floyd album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1835 on: May 02, 2024, 09:18:36 AM »
If I'm seeing him live, I know going in that I'm seeing HIM, not Floyd.  If he wants to play any Floyd, great, and if he wants to play zero Floyd, great.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1836 on: May 02, 2024, 07:44:32 PM »
Gilmour also spoke about the amendments he made to his touring band, reasoning: “It was all too robotic, and some people would have been better off in a Pink Floyd tribute band. So I thought we’d get people who are genuinely creative and give them a little more space.

This is curious. I always thought DG ran a fairly loose ship, for someone so established. Guy Pratt and back-up singers are all he mentioned, so otherwise he's planning on working with a clean slate?

I mean, I think ‘High Hopes’ is as good as anything we ever did at any time.”

I am glad he feels that way. TDB is hit or miss with me, with more misses than hits. But High Hopes is indeed as good as anything PF ever released, and should be a fixture on all his performances.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1837 on: May 03, 2024, 06:41:41 PM »
England tour dates announced. I have little if any desire to go to concerts at this stage in my life, but I have told my wife that should David Gilmour be performing anywhere near me, I will be going regardless of any circumstances or potential scheduling conflicts.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1838 on: May 08, 2024, 06:37:34 AM »
England tour dates announced. I have little if any desire to go to concerts at this stage in my life, but I have told my wife that should David Gilmour be performing anywhere near me, I will be going regardless of any circumstances or potential scheduling conflicts.

I could be wrong, but those Royal Albert Hall dates are said to be the ONLY UK dates. That is unless he is doing a second go-around in the UK later.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1839 on: May 10, 2024, 06:22:53 AM »
I was in the queue to hopefully score a pair of David Gilmour tickets for this October at the Royal Albert Hall. Fat chance! I was #87xx when I signed in at 10 am, and in the end, there was nothing left; not even those expensive (over £1000 each) ones are all gone! Oh well...  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020