Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 213793 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #490 on: May 15, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »
Be absolutely was.  But how he's handled himself in the media since makes me enjoy those moments.

He's been a complete ass. I get it. He probably has a right to be upset, but to whine every time he's on TV, C'mon man!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #491 on: May 15, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
He's also quoting folklore as gospel.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cable

« Reply #492 on: May 15, 2017, 08:36:01 PM »
A running back in Mike Martz system has every right to feel cheated. The problem with this situation is that the running back's anger is mis-placed. It should be directed at his own coach, instead.

Marshall Faulk was never more productive than when he played in Mike Martz's offense.

When Martz was only the OC, sure. That team was amazing. After he became the HC it was almost like he forgot how to call run plays. I understand that running the ball wasn't going to be the focus of that team under most circumstances, but the running game wasn't even a threat under most of his tenure.

*Disclosure; I have never lived on the east coast. I started following NE in 95-96, when they were 6-10. I had two Marshall Faulk jerseys, one for each team he played for.*

I think Faulk is a top 5 RB, his numbers in 99-01 are astounding. And the surrounding years are HoF worthy too most likely. He lives in the past, and as you said Powerslave, Martz shares a big part of fault. Man was delusional thinking he can overcome turnovers. That being said, it is a team game. The team that Marshall hates ran into the same problem that his team did, twice. If Marshall was given the ball 40 times to run, I'm sure NE would have continued pummeling him.

-Dork time, and I just did the numbers. 17 for 76, 4 for 4. 10 carries of 3 yards or less, one for 12 and 15 (longest). His ratio of rush attempt to reception was higher in the SB than during the season (3.13 to one). He had 24.5 per game touches in the season, 21 in the SB.

I doubt 3-4 more touches would have been the game.
---

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #493 on: May 15, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »
He's also quoting folklore as gospel.

Hey, don't knock it, you can get elected president by doing that :neverusethis:
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: May 15, 2017, 08:59:14 PM »
 :lol

How dare you lump him with...

Oh, wait a minute...   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #495 on: May 15, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »
:yawn:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #496 on: May 15, 2017, 10:08:09 PM »
A running back in Mike Martz system has every right to feel cheated. The problem with this situation is that the running back's anger is mis-placed. It should be directed at his own coach, instead.

Marshall Faulk was never more productive than when he played in Mike Martz's offense.

When Martz was only the OC, sure. That team was amazing. After he became the HC it was almost like he forgot how to call run plays. I understand that running the ball wasn't going to be the focus of that team under most circumstances, but the running game wasn't even a threat under most of his tenure.

That is simply not true.  Martz became the head coach in 2000 and Faulk was a beast of epic proportions in '00 and '01.  In fact, he was MVP of the league in 2000, Martz's first year as the head coach! 

And I enjoy his tears every time Faulk cries.

He was a great player, but I can understand why you folks in New England would feel that way.

Patriots fans hate anyone who dares speak out against their beloved team. I mean, they hate Tomlinson for no reason whatsoever, and LT2 was one of the classier players in the NFL in the 00s.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #497 on: May 15, 2017, 10:42:36 PM »

That is simply not true.  Martz became the head coach in 2000 and Faulk was a beast of epic proportions in '00 and '01.  In fact, he was MVP of the league in 2000, Martz's first year as the head coach! 

And I enjoy his tears every time Faulk cries.

He was a great player, but I can understand why you folks in New England would feel that way.

Patriots fans hate anyone who dares speak out against their beloved team. I mean, they hate Tomlinson for no reason whatsoever, and LT2 was one of the classier players in the NFL in the 00s.

I think the hate for Tomlinson probably comes from his reaction after that playoff game where he went on a rant about New England players disrespecting the Chargers. That's only a guess on my part. Seeing as how he ended up playing for the Jets later in his career probably doesn't help his cause, either.

About Martz, yes I'm talking a little bit out of my ass, but from a certain point of view there's some truth to it. I do know that Jon Kitna (when he was the OC of the Lions), and Jay Cutler (when he was the OC for the Bears) got absolutely beat to death. Partly due to opposing defenses pinning their ears back, and cranking up the pass rush. Supposedly there's some NFL Films footage of Cutler losing his shit during a game because Martz kept sending him on deep drops, and they weren't running the ball ect. ect... I remember reading some stuff on it years ago, but I can't remember any specifics. Then there's the fact that Kurt Warner ended up looking like a lost cause a few years after Martz took over the Rams. It took everything that the Steelers had, and James Harrison making one of the most remarkable plays in SB history to barely squeak by KW in that game well after the Rams gave up on him.

I'm not a Mike Martz fan  :lol
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: May 16, 2017, 04:36:17 AM »
Kev, I can admire his play but hate him for how he handles himself about the team I follow.  That's not hard to understand.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #499 on: May 16, 2017, 06:21:52 AM »

Exactly.  I have been consistent all along that deflating footballs is like doing 70 in a 55, but while there is no way to prove Brady knew it, common sense tells us that he did.  Saying a QB doesn't know if a football he touches on every play is different is like the equipment guy putting bigger, illegal pads on a hockey goalie and then saying, "The goalie didn't know!"  Of course he would know.  Just like any QB would know.

Except you're not talking about handing a guitar player a set of drumsticks.   "Common sense" (which, of course, we all know there is no such thing) says that it's somewhere firmly in that "gray zone".   Brady throwing a football likely said something along the lines of "hey, ball douche, toss me that ball.  I like it better. it's not as "blown up"."    Fast forward to Championship Game, and the team is in the locker room and Belichick is telling his team "The difference is in the DETAILS!  We need every person in this room, from Brady down to the ball douche to be doing EVERY SINGLE THING THEY CAN to win this game!  Execution!   Focus!   Details!"    Fast forward to ball douche preparing the balls and... you can fill in the rest.   Things don't happen like they do on NCIS, where there is a neat little trail for Abbie Sciuto to suss out with the latest Infrared Refractory Fingerprint Oscillator. 

Forget about "right" or "wrong"; the NFL said they broke the rules, they were punished, so be it.  I don't say this to argue that the punishment was wrong or too harsh, but just as a practical matter, I honestly don't think Brady DID know the details, since I don't for a second believe that there were actually details to be known. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #500 on: May 16, 2017, 07:07:54 AM »
Man, I used to love Marshall Faulk, he was an awesome RB.

Offline PB1

« Reply #501 on: May 16, 2017, 09:46:55 AM »
The guy's nickname was The Deflator, for fucks sake. Brady absolutely knew.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: May 16, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »

He was known as "The Deflator" for being able to get footballs to within 0.25 PSI of the minimum of 12.5 PSI.   

Is that true? I don't know, and neither do you.  I had a guy on my softball team that was named "The Hammer".  He really wasn't a "hammer".  I knew a guy in college who was nicknamed "Dog", but here's the funny thing:  he wasn't really a dog, in any sense of the word.  Not four-legged, not sexually, not hygiene.   Go figure, huh?   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: May 16, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
But for fucks sake Stadler!

The actions of the league during the investigation as well as the way they handled the the 3 allegations for the Giants this past year should show you what a farce it all was.

Your real issue is you're tired of their dominance which I get because i did the same thing with Dallas ect...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #504 on: May 16, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
But for fucks sake Stadler!

The actions of the league during the investigation as well as the way they handled the the 3 allegations for the Giants this past year should show you what a farce it all was.

Your real issue is you're tired of their dominance which I get because i did the same thing with Dallas ect...

Joe, I think you're misreading that. Stadler has been defending Brady.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: May 16, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »
No, the first line was a joke to Stadler because we both responded to PB1's post saying "For fucks sake". :lol

The rest was for PB1.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #506 on: May 16, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
Oh for fuck's sake kingshmegland!  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: May 16, 2017, 01:41:13 PM »
 :lol

Offline PB1

« Reply #508 on: May 16, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »

He was known as "The Deflator" for being able to get footballs to within 0.25 PSI of the minimum of 12.5 PSI.   

Is that true? I don't know, and neither do you.  I had a guy on my softball team that was named "The Hammer".  He really wasn't a "hammer".  I knew a guy in college who was nicknamed "Dog", but here's the funny thing:  he wasn't really a dog, in any sense of the word.  Not four-legged, not sexually, not hygiene.   Go figure, huh?   

thanks for that completely irrelevant personal anecdote. it doesn't change a thing.

Yes, the patriots are a great organization. Yes, Belichick and Brady are hall of fame players. Yes, The Patriots, including Brady and Belichick have cheated for years. Brady absolutely was involved in deflating footballs to gain an edge over his opponents.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #509 on: May 16, 2017, 03:50:32 PM »
  Brady absolutely was involved in deflating footballs to gain an edge over his opponents.

You can't seriously be offended by that can you? To gain an edge? If you don't think that every QB in the league has a personal football masseuse, you're crazy.

You can be put off by the Pats' smugness over the whole thing, but if you're upset at the fact that Brady had a couple of football "preparers", I think you're being naοve about what goes on in the league.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: May 16, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »
Might as well take every trophy away from every team that won then.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #511 on: May 16, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »

I'm not a Mike Martz fan  :lol

I'm not either.  His total disregard for timeouts was just crazy (how many times did the Rams run out of timeouts in the 3rd quarter?), and his style was one the league figured out somewhat quickly, but for three glorious years, the offense he ran was the greatest any of us had ever seen.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: May 17, 2017, 07:12:17 AM »
Brady absolutely was involved in deflating footballs to gain an edge over his opponents.

Simple:  Prove it.   You're so sure, prove it.   

Here's the thing that most naysayers don't get:  this isn't like "rape" or "murder", where if you can prove sex or find a body, you've got a crime.   And if you can prove "planning", you've got conspiracy.   Depending on the timing, depending on the outcome, deflating the balls to 12.6 PSI is NOT illegal.  Deflating the balls to 12.4 PSI IS illegal.   There are a 100 things besides "deflating" that could move those balls from 12.6 to 12.4, and none of them are a "crime".   Brady telling the "Deflator" (it is my understanding he gives happy endings in the locker room, thus the nickname) to "make those balls like I like 'em!" is not a crime itself, and is not indicative of a crime.   People who are not celebrities want to impress celebrities.  This would not be the first time - not in a long shot (have you read "Hammer of the Gods", about Led Zeppelin?  Do you think Richard Cole would have done half of what he did if it wasn't for the pleasure of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and/or John Bonham?) - that someone took direction and went overboard to "please their boss".   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #513 on: May 17, 2017, 09:54:51 AM »
Christ, even I'm tired of debating this shit now. People have made up their minds and emotionally entrenched themselves. I maintain that the balls weren't even deflated, per the Wells Report, but nobody seems to care, so life goes on.

In other news, Blount is off to Phili. I'm pretty cool with this. I'm happy for him to get a shot somewhere and NE gets a compensatory pick for him. He could be a good fit for Phili's offense. However, my money would be on another Pittsburgh type adventure. Either way it seems like a win for all.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #515 on: May 17, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
Speaking of Brady and the Patriots...
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/tom-brady-suffer-concussion-last-year-gisele-says-132941059.html

Jerry Jones: Laurel, get Little Roger on the phone.
Roger Goodel: Yes sir, Mr. Jones. I'm already on top of it.
Roger Goodel: Melinda, get Ted Wells on the phone please.
Ted Wells: Sure, Roger. One number six, coming up.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: May 17, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »
Yep EB.

If the refs don't see it and the player hides it from the team there is nothing anyone can do.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: May 17, 2017, 10:29:53 AM »
I don't really see it as a provable actionable offense based just on what Giselle says, but then again, we know that Goodell doesn't seem to need any of that and has a hard on for the Pats so I wouldn't rule out a fine or something.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: May 17, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »
If the concussion protocol wasn't followed, then something needs to happen, or no one is going to take it seriously.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #519 on: May 17, 2017, 10:43:58 AM »
It's already kind of a joke. Who was it that got knocked the fuck out 18 months go and remained in the game to take a game losing sack? Kev would know. In any case, I'm not sure there's any protocol problem here. If nobody knew he might have gotten his bell rung then I'm not sure where any problem would arise from a rules standpoint.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: May 17, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
Cam Newton got crushed last year against Denver.  I think some players will hide it when it's mild. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: May 17, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »
It's already kind of a joke. Who was it that got knocked the fuck out 18 months go and remained in the game to take a game losing sack? Kev would know. In any case, I'm not sure there's any protocol problem here. If nobody knew he might have gotten his bell rung then I'm not sure where any problem would arise from a rules standpoint.

Case Keenum @ Baltimore in 2015 comes to mind.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #522 on: May 17, 2017, 11:03:09 AM »

Case Keenum @ Baltimore in 2015 comes to mind.
Yup, that's the one. That dude finished the game from Henrietta. Kind had that Trevor Berbick thing going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=204GsqfRlKc
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #523 on: May 17, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
Brady telling the "Deflator" (it is my understanding he gives happy endings in the locker room, thus the nickname) to "make those balls like I like 'em!"

:rollin

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #524 on: May 18, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »
The Steelers just cut Ladarius Green for a failed physical. Not a hugely surprising move, but they didn't address the position in the draft. Jesse James is a capable TE, but I'm not sold on him being a full time starter.