Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 190248 times)

Offline Shooters1221

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #735 on: February 25, 2019, 02:05:32 AM »
What I actually wonder is if his mention in Octavarium is a sincere tribute, or the guy has just a generic enough name (actually, name - surname combo) that it was an opportunity not to be missed trying to tie up all the "stream of consciousness" that makes up Full Circle  ;D

Yeah, I always went with the idea that they needed a puzzle piece and his name worked, no" tribute" type thing.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #736 on: February 25, 2019, 02:05:59 AM »
Just curious in the song S2N after the instrumental, did anyone else hear an Owen Wilson "Wow"?

Yeah I heard that on the first listen but I didn't know it was Owen Wilson. A few hours ago I saw "Petrucci Confirms Owen Wilson Cameo" but I didn't click on it.

Edit: All right just looked it up again and it said Petrucci WON'T confirm Owen Wilson Cameo". I've never seen a movie with Wilson in it. How did you know it was him?

Because it is a running joke in his movies, where he almost always has a scene where he says WOW.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/the-legend-of-owen-wilsons-wow-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn5Tattkj_E

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #737 on: February 25, 2019, 02:08:45 AM »
Not sure what you're talking about jayvee3, that IS a positive review from Adami.

I love you, TAC.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kocak

« Reply #738 on: February 25, 2019, 02:54:41 AM »
I have a question: Who yells out the "Yeaah, baby!!" right at the very beginning of Viper King?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #739 on: February 25, 2019, 03:01:18 AM »
So the guy who profits from milking the adoration of MP fanboys is at it again.

https://youtu.be/nGohd3DYb-g

Wow, was that painful to listen to.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #740 on: February 25, 2019, 04:24:40 AM »
I have a question: Who yells out the "Yeaah, baby!!" right at the very beginning of Viper King?

I think it may be the first recorded instance of Mangini vocals in Dream Theater!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: February 25, 2019, 04:43:21 AM »
My money's on JM  ;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline adamack

« Reply #742 on: February 25, 2019, 06:44:09 AM »
Great observation. Similarly, take the arrangement of a song like Breaking All Illusions. On the first listen, I thought that the "Live in the moment, breathe in a new beginning" part was the chorus. And what an amazing part by the way.

But then, the song goes into that awesome heavy "verse B" section ("Emerald thoughts..."), only to lead into the REAL chorus ("Searching out, reaching in"....) which is just phenomenal, and my favorite chorus of theirs over the last 4 albums.

So basically, you have:

1. The instrumental intro
2. A soft verse
3. A detached pre-chorus which leads into...
4. A heavy second verse which is totally different from the first (A DT staple, but it really stands out here because EVERYTHING is totally different), which finally leads into...
5. The true chorus
6. An amazing instrumental section, leading back into...
7. The final chorus, and finally....
9. A brand new post-chorus part ("Embrace the days"...) which beautifully closes out this amazing song. Similar to the "And at last the time has come" part

The real magic is that detached pre-chorus (for lack of a better term. Maybe Chorus A?), the totally fresh second verse, and the outro section.  As you mentioned, not every song has to have such a formula. But this kind of varied arrangement is a main reason that I still listen to an album like ADToE to this day, and a reason I fear D/T will not be in rotation for years to come.

I really do not want to bring any negativity, because I am extremely happy that people are loving this album and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I'm not a big fan of FII, but whenever someone says it's one of their favorite DT albums it makes me really happy.

Also, there are indeed some intricate arrangements on DT12. But since the choruses are weaker (IMO), it really limits that sense of climax you'd get form Breaking All Illusions and Bridges In The Sky.

The structure of Barstool Warrior

1. Rush-like instrumental intro with the instruments entering one by one
2. The lead guitar line
3. Verse 1
4. Chorus
5. Verse 2, of a different tone from verse 1 (actually, it's the same as the instrumental intro)
6. Chorus, but now in double time
7. Lead guitar line, making us think this is the guitar solo
8. Piano break
9. The real guitar solo
10. The chorus but not really the chorus, reflecting the shift in the tone from the guitar solo
11. A new vocal melody (No one can save you...)
12. And yet another variation playing on the cadence of the original chorus but with a different more hopeful tone, hinting at a climax
13. Climax: Now I see where I belong

The way I see it, it's still a complex arrangement, just shorter.

Right, yeah in my last couple of sentences I acknowledged that there were some complex arrangements on D/T,  but to me the weaker choruses make these songs less appealing to me personally.

With BAI, every single last part of the song is just incredible, and I was hoping there would be a couple songs like that. I guess I’m just holding everything to such a high standard that is BAI.

I do love Pale Blue Dot more and more though.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #743 on: February 25, 2019, 07:04:39 AM »
BAI is a perfect song. I won't make that a benchmark as everything would be bound to disappoint.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #744 on: February 25, 2019, 07:19:47 AM »

Without clicking the link or reading the comments let me guess...

Wow. Much better than Mangini!
Bring back Portnoy
Mindless fills over a song is much better than well orchestrated parts. :)

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #745 on: February 25, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »
PBD gives me a huge Symphony X vibe at parts; very reminiscent of The Odyssey.

Offline rab7

« Reply #746 on: February 25, 2019, 07:33:24 AM »
PBD gives me a huge Symphony X vibe at parts; very reminiscent of The Odyssey.

I remember bosk said that PBD was the best Symphony X song ever.

After listening, I agree 100%

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #747 on: February 25, 2019, 07:46:07 AM »

Not so bad as FITL  :lol  :lol

That cover was the epitome of the disaster on the drums.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #748 on: February 25, 2019, 08:01:44 AM »
Just curious in the song S2N after the instrumental, did anyone else hear an Owen Wilson "Wow"?

Yeah I heard that on the first listen but I didn't know it was Owen Wilson. A few hours ago I saw "Petrucci Confirms Owen Wilson Cameo" but I didn't click on it.

Edit: All right just looked it up again and it said Petrucci WON'T confirm Owen Wilson Cameo". I've never seen a movie with Wilson in it. How did you know it was him?

Because it is a running joke in his movies, where he almost always has a scene where he says WOW.

Does someone know which one of these 102 "wow"s was sampled on S2N?

Or did they get an original from Owen Wilson?

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #749 on: February 25, 2019, 08:06:23 AM »

Does someone know which one of these 102 "wow"s was sampled on S2N?

Or did they get an original from Owen Wilson?

Isn't it the one from Marley And Me (#47) in that clip?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #750 on: February 25, 2019, 08:13:11 AM »
Check out @dreamtheaternet’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1100047780205056000?s=09

Speaking of "wow"...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #751 on: February 25, 2019, 08:17:19 AM »
I remember bosk said that PBD was the best Symphony X song ever.

After listening, I agree 100%

Ahh looks like I'm a bit late here! Haha that's great.

Offline genome

« Reply #752 on: February 25, 2019, 08:30:15 AM »
I actually get a big Scar Symmetry vibe from Pale Blue Dot.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #753 on: February 25, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »

I find it cringy when people refer to those covers as “the Portnoy way”. Maybe some of us do not hold Portnoy as high as we once used to but he’a a damn fine orchestrator on the drums. He certainly knew when to not overplay and not play a 16th note fill every 2 bars or so. This guy is basically showing off chops for the sake of MP Warrior likes, I feel.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #754 on: February 25, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
Haha...My previous post I had said Room 137 reminds me of Just Let Me Breathe. Well, I didn't have a way to hear the album at the time and wanted to post before i forget. Listened to the album again, its S2N that has that JLMB groove.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #755 on: February 25, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »

These people sure love their fills.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #756 on: February 25, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »

I find it cringy when people refer to those covers as “the Portnoy way”. Maybe some of us do not hold Portnoy as high as we once used to but he’a a damn fine orchestrator on the drums. He certainly knew when to not overplay and not play a 16th note fill every 2 bars or so. This guy is basically showing off chops for the sake of MP Warrior likes, I feel.

Agreed, the comments manage to insult Portnoy and Mangini at the same time.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #757 on: February 25, 2019, 09:15:29 AM »

And this only makes the situation worse.

People who love MP so much, but are unable to perceive a poorly made imitation.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #758 on: February 25, 2019, 09:24:42 AM »
Haha...My previous post I had said Room 137 reminds me of Just Let Me Breathe. Well, I didn't have a way to hear the album at the time and wanted to post before i forget. Listened to the album again, its S2N that has that JLMB groove.
S2N reminds me of a few Rush songs, especially the riffing. Three that come to mind are Headlong Flight, Main Monkey Business,  and By-Tor and the Snowdog at the "Wow" section.
 Even the Beatles sounding parts of Room 137 has a Headlong Flight sound as well, the part where it says "I have stoked the fire on the big steel wheel" section.
 This is all a good thing though!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #759 on: February 25, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »
S2N reminds me of a few Rush songs, especially the riffing. Three that come to mind are Headlong Flight, Main Monkey Business,  and By-Tor and the Snowdog at the "Wow" section.
 Even the Beatles sounding parts of Room 137 has a Headlong Flight sound as well, the part where it says "I have stoked the fire on the big steel wheel" section.

Yeah I enjoyed the By-Tor part. What reminds me of JLMB though is the verses and the groove/feel of that part. It would be neat to hear JLMB before S2N.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #760 on: February 25, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »
So now it’s official for me, the Mangini albums are DT’s best 4-album stretch. If FII had never been released, obviously it would be I&W-SDoIT, but . . .

If I had to pick one era of the band, I would say that the JP/JM era really showcases an unparalleled consistency.

The first verse of Barstool Warrior reminds me of:

"Brace yourself my brother
I have breaking news"

Totally.  That and Beautiful Agony.

Without clicking the link or reading the comments let me guess...

Wow. Much better than Mangini!
Bring back Portnoy
Mindless fills over a song is much better than well orchestrated parts. :)

I don't really get the constant criticism of the guy.  He likes posting his covers, they are usually well done, and he doesn't seem to take shots at anybody that I've seen.  Not sure what the issue is that some seem to have with him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #761 on: February 25, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »

What's sad to me is that this guy sets his drums up exactly like MP and has the same body language, same drumming posture, same body language, long hair, beard, etc. as MP. It's way over the top and creepy. Like being over obsessed with MP.

I'm a drummer and MP was an influence for me back in the 90's. But I never wanted to be a replica of him or any other drummer I consider an influence.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: February 25, 2019, 10:03:28 AM »
Not sure why anyone cares, you either enjoy or not.  I thought the link was going to be someone bashing the album or something based on what people here were commenting, it's just someone playing the drums. 

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #763 on: February 25, 2019, 10:10:44 AM »
I admit Pale Blue Dot's first impression was pretty bad for me. It grows fastly. I still think outro is the weakest part.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #764 on: February 25, 2019, 10:26:04 AM »
I'm happy to say that some of PBT has been in my head today.   It continues to grow on me... I just don't like the part that sounds like systematic chaos,  i think its the chorus.     Has an ITPOE vibe and I don't like that song very much.

The beginning of PBT is sweet though! and the vibe of the song of kind of a scary space vibe is great.  I think the song could have been better buts it becoming a solid track for me and not the huge eyesore I originally thought it was.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #765 on: February 25, 2019, 10:28:43 AM »
Album is aging well for me. Pale Blue Dot hasn't clicked for me and for Room 137 just doesn't cut it. I appreciate the different sound and arrangements that DT was going with this one but it's just not clicking.

I love the rest of the album..absolutely love it.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #766 on: February 25, 2019, 10:33:07 AM »
I just loved that they turned the bass up and changed the sound.  This albums has its own vibe which is great... regardless of what we think of the songs.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #767 on: February 25, 2019, 10:43:34 AM »
Many listen-through in, the album is aging much better than Astonishing did. It's remarkably easy to listen, despite the complexity of the music.

On a secondary not, today I received my box set, and I'd like to remark on the quality of the videos, especially At Wit's End, Out of Reach and most significantly Pale Blue Dot. A definite step up from previous DT animated video (think Forsaken), but in my opinion also on the more traditional band-driven videos such as On The Backs of Angels and The Enemy Inside.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline rab7

« Reply #768 on: February 25, 2019, 10:47:52 AM »
I admit Pale Blue Dot's first impression was pretty bad for me. It grows fastly. I still think outro is the weakest part.

Absolutely agree here. As the "true" album closer, this is probably the most underwhelming outro among the rest of the discography. I was pretty disappointed on my first listen, and I was very relieved that Viper King followed immediately, because it very quickly washed away that feeling.

After many many listens, I still feel that it's not as good as other outros, but the solo in a vacuum is pretty solid. And the rest of the song has really really grown on me as well. I find myself randomly blurting out "GOD CREATOR" during the day.

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #769 on: February 25, 2019, 10:54:10 AM »

I also get a bit of Double Agent vibe in S2N.

Frank