Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 190226 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #595 on: February 23, 2019, 03:38:40 PM »

I’m with emtee on this one Kev. I think this album sounds great. I’ve listened to it in three different environments now on three different delivery systems and it sounds awesome to me.

Damn it, Gary! :facepalm: :lol

JK, I hear ya.  Even though there are times I wish it sounded better, I don't dislike the sound of it per se, if that makes sense. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #596 on: February 23, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »
Man, I am effing obsessed with Bar Stool Warrior. I think it's one of DT's best songs in their entire discography.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #597 on: February 23, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »
Man, I am effing obsessed with Bar Stool Warrior. I think it's one of DT's best songs in their entire discography.
It's pretty awesome! I like it more than At Wits End.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #598 on: February 23, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »
I'm soooooo pissed off.

I put off the preorder long enough....that the deluxe edition was sold out by the time I got around to it. 

So I ordered the regular version from Amazon.....................................who isn't shipping it til March 1st.   >:( >:( >:( >:( :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

EDIT - speaking of which.   Did anyone buy an extra that they are willing to part with?

Not pissed. but slightly annoyed.  Ordered from Amazon  because I was too lazy to drive an hour to one of the few independent records stores left in this area.  Amazon apparently has decided not to carry the 4-disc version and farmed it out to a third party. Lesson learned.

Offline TL

« Reply #599 on: February 23, 2019, 04:42:02 PM »
Weighing in on the sound quality;

It does sound a bit muddy in places to me, and there are moments where I find myself thinking, "This part is really good. I wish it was clearer".
That said, for the most part I find the mix/master to be fine. Certainly much better than the self titled.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #600 on: February 23, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »
Have one general listen under my belt. Easily the best album from this era, musically and sonically. I should have a good focused listen tomorrow. Fall Into The Light is the track that really grabbed me on the first run though.

Also, it's amazing what the drums can sound like when they actually let Mike set up the mics on his own kit. I saw a quote from him somewhere where this was the first time he actually was able to participate as a full member in the songwriting and such. He mentioned that he was even able to mic his own drums for the first time. Crazy, they waited 4 albums to let him be him. His drums sound awesome on this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #601 on: February 23, 2019, 04:46:29 PM »
I always get mine from the local record store, 30 mile round trip. The owner ordered me a copy without me having to ask. It arrived on time. I'll never go through Amazon unless I'm on a safari down in South America.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #602 on: February 23, 2019, 04:52:44 PM »
I always get mine from the local record store, 30 mile round trip. The owner ordered me a copy without me having to ask. It arrived on time. I'll never go through Amazon unless I'm on a safari down in South America.

Usually do that myself, (70 mile round trip for me) but I got lazy this time. Didn't want to chance that they didn't have the deluxe edition and buy the single CD in a weak moment. Lesson learned.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #603 on: February 23, 2019, 04:57:26 PM »
Alright, after multiple listens, this album cracked top 5 for me, and I think that’s where it will stay.

1) SFAM
2) SDOIT
3) Awake
4) I&W
5) D/T

Bartstool Warrior is starting to grow on me (still my least favorite of the album). Out of Reach is pretty good. Paralyzed is pretty solid. I love the rest of the songs.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: February 23, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »
I always get mine from the local record store, 30 mile round trip.

Usually do that myself, (70 mile round trip for me) but I got lazy this time.

Dang! Your definition of laziness is way different than mine! If my wife was on fire, I'd bitch and moan about driving that far for a fire extinguisher.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #605 on: February 23, 2019, 05:48:57 PM »

I can't say I'm surprised this album turned out so well. These guys aren't stupid, and they knew 'The Astonishing" was very polarizing, so they were compelled to make up for it.

The bonus track is probably the most surprising track on the album for me. Rhythmically, it sounds like something Extreme would have done, then the swinging groove of the chorus reminds me of "Radar Love".  I have to say, James sounds very odd on this track through the verses, though.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: February 23, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
It's pretty awesome! I like it more than At Wits End.

Agreed. Fuckin brings the feels  :blush
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #607 on: February 23, 2019, 06:04:00 PM »
The only thing that bothers me about this album is Out of Reach. Not in a bad way - I think it is simply gorgeous. But if it had one more repeat of that incredible chorus towards the end, it would take it to the next level. What is there in this track though, is simply stunning...

Offline LTE777

« Reply #608 on: February 23, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
At Wits End:

Does anyone get a WDADU vibe from 2:07 - 2:34  &  FII 2:47 - 3:04? This is one of the best songs they have ever written IMO but everyone will have their own favourites.

Can anyone else hear the weird tapping at 5:57 to 6:02 (turn it up and you will hear it, sounds like a hollow tapping)???? I thought it was originally the click-track coming through JP's pickups when he was recording his solo but when I listened to the instrumental version its not there so I think maybe JLBs reverb/echo on vocal overdubs have picked up something weird? I cant hear it on the spotify or youtube version buts there on the cd, dvd, and bluray versions but not in the instrumental so I think it may be part of the vocal echo or the way its mixed? 

Its driving me crazy so can someone please explain/clear this up this for me!!!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: February 23, 2019, 06:56:50 PM »
I don't know about that but where did you find the instrumental version? A Japanese import?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #610 on: February 23, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »
I don't know about that but where did you find the instrumental version? A Japanese import?

Limited Edition Deluxe Art Book (CD+Bonus Track, Instrumental CD + DVD + BD with the high def tracks and Videos for all songs)

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #611 on: February 23, 2019, 07:01:58 PM »
At Wits End:

Does anyone get a WDADU vibe from 2:07 - 2:34  &  FII 2:47 - 3:04? This is one of the best songs they have ever written IMO but everyone will have their own favourites.

Can anyone else hear the weird tapping at 5:57 to 6:02 (turn it up and you will hear it, sounds like a hollow tapping)???? I thought it was originally the click-track coming through JP's pickups when he was recording his solo but when I listened to the instrumental version its not there so I think maybe JLBs reverb/echo on vocal overdubs have picked up something weird? I cant hear it on the spotify or youtube version buts there on the cd, dvd, and bluray versions but not in the instrumental so I think it may be part of the vocal echo or the way its mixed? 

Can you give more details? What is the frequency? Which kind of tapping does it sound like? The only beats I hear appear to be from the drums.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #612 on: February 23, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
At Wits End:

Can you give more details? What is the frequency? Which kind of tapping does it sound like? The only beats I hear appear to be from the drums.

Not sure about the frequency but when James says "warped inside never ending tide.....") there is about 2 beats then are about 6-8 taps or knocks that sound like a click track reverb (maybe James's click track?) that start at 5:57 and finish at 6:02.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #613 on: February 23, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »
I always get mine from the local record store, 30 mile round trip.

Usually do that myself, (70 mile round trip for me) but I got lazy this time.

Dang! Your definition of laziness is way different than mine! If my wife was on fire, I'd bitch and moan about driving that far for a fire extinguisher.

:lol :lol :lol

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #614 on: February 23, 2019, 07:15:47 PM »
OK, this could open a can of worms, but, does any else hear a "beep" (reminds me of a defibrillator) during 4:09 in Barstool Warrior, in the left channel?

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #615 on: February 23, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
OK, this could open a can of worms, but, does any else hear a "beep" (reminds me of a defibrillator) during 4:09 in Barstool Warrior, in the left channel?

Nope.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #616 on: February 23, 2019, 07:20:10 PM »
At Wits End:

Not sure about the frequency but when James says "warped inside never ending tide.....") there is about 2 beats then are about 6-8 taps or knocks that sound like a click track reverb (maybe James's click track?) that start at 5:57 and finish at 6:02.

Is it on the instrumental version?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #617 on: February 23, 2019, 07:49:02 PM »
It's been nice to read everyone's opinions here, and I have to say, it seems pretty positive for most. I think DT definitely hit this one out of the park. I've really been enjoying this album a lot, and I think I might like it more than DT12. I think we all know why The Astonishing failed to capture the fans' attention world-wide - the acronym did not have "DT" in the title (we've got ADTOE, DT12, and now D/T).

All joking aside, this album has some TASTY instrumental performances across the board, and it's nice to hear JMX come out and shine, especially in S2N (which would make a killer show-opener). Vocally speaking, there are some good moments here and there, but it's all still taking time to sink in, but I've caught myself humming the chorus to UA here and there (though it was the first single, so that probably helps it).

BW, AWE and PBD are definite stand-out tracks, and I would love to see them play all three live. I have a feeling, however, that only about half of the album will get played live on this leg of the tour. I remember reading that the band was considering rotating setlists again, so they may swap a few new songs on A/B nights like Rush has done in the past. I could see BW and S2N swapping spots as they are similar lengths. Same with AWE and PBD.

As fun as "Viper King" is, I'm not sure if it'll get played, at least at first, but it IS a great track, and I like it's placement as a bonus track, though it definitely could fit in the middle of the album and still feel at home.

And lastly, the one (new) song I hadn't mentioned yet, "Out Of Reach", is probably one of the band's shortest, but it's got a lot of power, and that guitar solo in the first half is magical. This is a really great ballad, and I'd love to see them pull this one out live this year (since they typically only play new ballads on that album's tour, and rarely bring them back unless they're for an anniversary).

Overall, this is a great return to form for the band as a whole, and I hope the numbers for the live shows prove just how strong this album is and that fans will come out in droves to see them play the new material in addition to SFAM!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #618 on: February 23, 2019, 08:06:55 PM »
To me, the band returned to form on ADTOE and haven’t looked back.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #619 on: February 23, 2019, 08:11:38 PM »
^ This
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #620 on: February 23, 2019, 08:29:42 PM »

I just checked. Yes, I heard it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #621 on: February 23, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »
I said I was gonna wait for an official streaming but I then I said Fuck It and bought the album yesterday. The only song I heard before was Untethered Angels and I only watched that video twice. Nothing really jumped out at me first and it sounded like Ruddess was kind of underutilized (he sounds almost Myungish in the mix at times) but the songs are steadily growing on Herrick.

It's NEW Dream Theater songs so there's always an high excitement level for me to hear LaBrie singing on new stuff. We'll see how it goes.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline LTE777

« Reply #622 on: February 23, 2019, 08:42:09 PM »
At Wits End:

Is it on the instrumental version?

No definitely not on the instrumental version that's why I ruled out click track through pickups.  I'm surprised no one else can hear it, I showed my wife who didn't hear it but after a few listens she did.  I cant hear it through spotify but thats probably because of the poor sample rate.  I beleive the instrumental CD was remixed which leads me to believe its a processing effect through JLBs vocals.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #623 on: February 23, 2019, 08:42:59 PM »
My apologies if this has already been talked about or a stupid question, but is the man in Barstool Warrior the woman's abuser or are they two unrelated people?
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: February 23, 2019, 08:53:26 PM »
My apologies if this has already been talked about or a stupid question, but is the man in Barstool Warrior the woman's abuser or are they two unrelated people?

Funny I came to post about this!
JP said in his Loudwire interview that there's two different stories/people, a "drunk townie" and a lady in an abusive relationship, for the first and second verses respectively. I initially thought the woman was the man's wife or something, suffering from his way of life.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #625 on: February 23, 2019, 09:27:47 PM »
The lightbulb went on for Room 137.  That riff is sick and Mangini's drumming is incredible.  :metal :metal

Offline adamack

« Reply #626 on: February 23, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
The lightbulb went on for Room 137.  That riff is sick and Mangini's drumming is incredible.  :metal :metal

Lucky! I don't even think I have a socket to hold a lightbulb for that song.

But I've been keeping it in rotation because damnit, I want to like it!

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #627 on: February 23, 2019, 09:57:55 PM »
This album is doubly exciting personally since it's not just a new release, it's the first new DT release since I became a fan three years ago with the song "Octavarium". I pre-ordered the digipak edition with the bonus track from Wal-Mart and have been listening to it every available chance since yesterday. My thoughts so far:

1. Fall Into The Light is on par with Breaking All Illusions
2. Untethered Angel sounds like it's from DT12.
3. The entire album is Mangini's best drum work to date.
4. The "Wow" in S2N is this the first spoken word sample since ADTOE unless I'm forgetting one.

YMMV.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: February 23, 2019, 10:34:43 PM »
1. Fall Into The Light is on par with Breaking All Illusions
2. Untethered Angel sounds like it's from DT12.
3. The entire album is Mangini's best drum work to date.
4. The "Wow" in S2N is this the first spoken word sample since ADTOE unless I'm forgetting one.

In a survey format  :D :
1. Strongly Disagree.
2. Disagree.
3. Strongly Agree.
4. Agree.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #629 on: February 23, 2019, 10:56:41 PM »
So, I now have a CD-length playlist called DreaMM Theater of Post-Portnoy DT songs. :lol

2 ADTOE + 1 DT + 3 TA + 3 D/T songs.

What are the tracks?

BITS
TGOM
R137
AWE
Chosen
S2n
ONW
BAI
IT

I've also been toying around with D/T and this sequence works better for my taste

PBD
Paralyzed
FitL
UA
R137
BW
S2n
Out of Reach
AWE
VK