Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 104281 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #490 on: October 04, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »
So if Shogun was their AJFA and In Waves their Black Album - it looks like Vengeance Falls is shaping up to be their Death Magnetic.

Decent but nowhere near their best. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: October 04, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »
So if Shogun was their AJFA and In Waves their Black Album - it looks like Vengeance Falls is shaping up to be their Death Magnetic.

Um, I have never heard of those comparisons, and personally wouldn't support them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #492 on: October 04, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »
Listening for a 2nd time. I'm warming up to a few more tracks such as the title track and Incineration: The Broken World (the bass solo in the latter is awesome).

I'll bump it up to a 7/10. It's good but far from great. I'll also take back what I said about them not having ideas. I think there are some good ideas, at least 1 per song, but I found my attention drifting on most of the songs and I couldn't find many memorable parts.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: October 05, 2013, 07:12:51 AM »

Um, I have never heard of those comparisons, and personally wouldn't support them.

That's how I see them.

Shogun was long songs and technical. In Waves was simpler, shorter songs and their heaviest production so far. . .

So far Vengeance Falls sounds like a throw back to their Ascendancy / Crusade days, decent enough songs but with poor production.

Offline adace

« Reply #494 on: October 07, 2013, 11:56:18 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: October 07, 2013, 11:56:52 AM »
Ninja'd :lol

I'm gonna listen to it after i've finished listening to The Paradigm Shift.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: October 07, 2013, 12:12:11 PM »
Thoughts To Follow :
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:50:18 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: October 07, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »
Vengeance Falls chorus is almost identical to Brave This Storm.

On : " To Believe" now and pretty much all the songs sound identical .  :(

Not impressed.

NP : At The End Of This War.

Does every song on this album have the same chorus ???

I am not feeling this album *at ALL*.

Every chorus is *identical*.

It's always - root - bVI - bVII - root. and the occasional V chord.

Loads of the vocal melodies are really lame and sound like that thing you do when you've written a song and are trying out lyrics. Matt sounds

like he hasn't spent much time on the vocals. Every song sounds really similar and there is fuck all on this album anywhere near as good as In

Waves. What a massive let down .

Incineration is the closest thing to a decent song so far. . . Did he call it Incineration because he run out of things to put after Inception ? :lol

" It's only getting worse ! " - you 're not wrong Matt  :facepalm:

" The End Is Nigh ! " - That's a Plus !

I don't think i enjoyed a single moment of that album !  :sadpanda:

Is nobody else going to comment on the suckage of this album ?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:20:04 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: October 08, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
Is nobody else going to comment on the suckage of this album ?

Relax.  I won't pick my copy up until the weekend.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #499 on: October 08, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »
Listening now.  What I really like so far about this album is
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #500 on: October 08, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
 :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: October 08, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
:clap:

I listened again today. The album is so bland. Nothing sticks out. It all sounds the same.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #502 on: October 08, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
You know, actually, I kind of like it.  Nothing in particular stands out, but I like the overall sound of it (once I got past the first song and had my subconscious stop telling me it was a new Metallica song). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: October 08, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »
This is a massive step down from In Waves.

My friend and I agree that this is better than Crusade but worse than everything else.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: October 09, 2013, 04:14:33 AM »
Crusade isn't really that bad.  I throw it on from time to time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: October 09, 2013, 07:53:48 AM »
Crusade isn't really that bad.  I throw it on from time to time.

Oh and we also all agree that Vengeance Falls is better than hail To The King.

I may listen to VF every now and again on Spotify - but In Waves just blew me away. The production, the songs, the music.

It's all just *great* to me. VF sounds like it was written and recorded really quickly.

Offline Cable

« Reply #506 on: October 11, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »
Based on the last replies, I may have to go pick up IW at some point; I didn't think it was held in such high regard.

This sucks that VF is another subpar effort. I don't know why this band loses track sometimes, or tries to go a different style. To me, using David Drainman and the impact he had on the music reminds me of Crusade. Why they even need that dude to help them produce in such a hands on way is also beyond me. When the hell did he become some authority on thrash influenced metal?
---

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: October 13, 2013, 05:01:25 AM »
Okay, picked the special edition up this weekend and have just gotten home and listened to it for the first time.

I must say, Trivium is one of my favourite bands and I have been following them since Ascendancy.  Every one of their albums has impressed me and I find them one of the best and most creative metal bands of the new millenium.

To sum up my feelings about this album, it's not too bad.  It's not fantastic, but it's pretty decent.  But, it's sad for me to say that Vengeance Falls is by far the most uninspired and uncreative the band have been to date.  The first thing that I realise is that the production we have heard on the tracks released before the album is what we hear on the cd.  The sound is absolute shit, and the guitars sound like the have been recorded in a bedroom.  I think I've recorded basic guitar that sounds better than this.

The songs themselves are pretty enjoyable but the strength of the album wanders as the album goes on.  It does sound like this whole thing has been rushed and just thrown together.  There's nothing really that stands out of the cd, just all the tracks sound very similar and are simply just decent enough. 

The one thing that I like about the album is that it's Trivium doing something different again.  That's what I like about them, they never repeat themselves and this proves it here, that's why I'm pretty open to it.  Saying that, I think Drainmen needs to fuck off and stick to Disturbed.  Hopefully with the band going back to a more Crusade style, they will realise it didn't really work that well and come back with something as epic as Shogun.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: October 13, 2013, 07:49:31 AM »
I'm thinking they rushed it out too. There is nothing on here anywhere near as good as "Chaos Reigns" or "In Waves" or even "All Those Yesterdays".

That super-low vocal Matt does on the final track just sounds like he's doing it as a joke or he wants to be Corey Taylor.

I wouldn't be shocked if they started their next album really quickly and did a stylistic 180.

In future - I can imagine them saying things to the effect of " Oh - Draiman and Trivium had different visions at the time. . blah blah blah " instead of

coming out and saying that they're disappointed.

But hey - they'll probably tour the arse off it and keep Matt in sushi and vegetables for some time !

And yeah - sonically the album is dreadful. even more disappointing since In Waves sounded so good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: October 14, 2013, 03:46:18 AM »
Been spinning this in the car today and I'm warming to it.  It doesn't have the knockout moments that are always found withins Trivium's albums, but the whole thing is actually quite solid and consistent.  Once you accept this for what it is, it's pretty enjoyable.  The bonus tracks are better than a lot of the album tracks and are really the only tracks that have an older Trivium feel, which is interesting.  They could have been leftovers from In Waves IMO.

It's probably Triviums weakest, but that still means it's a good album to me.  Still can't get over the production and I think you are right Koto, I have a feeling they will return to the studio a lot quicker than normal to rectify this.  I do like it, but in terms of effort, it's at the bottom of the list.  It feels lazy, but yet I can enjoy it.  I guess I just love this band and am a bit of a fan boy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: October 14, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
It's not *dreadful* by any means. It's technically a good album but coming after the last two albums. Being good doesn't really cut it.

That bit in Strife where the whole band comes in at the start and the guitars harmonise - it's almost impossible to make out the notes since there is so much

fuzz and white noise going on :(

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »
I'm not even willing to say it's a good album. There's not really a memorable moment at all, there's also just a lot I don't like about it.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #512 on: October 14, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »
I don't think it's a bad album but it's just feels like a little... cold idk. I do get the feeling that it was rushed as well.

Call me crazy but some of the vocal deliveries really sound like David Draiman. I can't think of exact moments but there are times where the band sounded like Disturbed but just more technical.

I like how the band tries different things on every album and it always felt like there was this goal that they wanted to achieve in the end. To me Shogun felt like their "And Justice For All" and In Waves was kind of like their "black album".

With this one I can't really figure out what exactly they were trying to accomplish. It just doesn't sound that exciting.

This is not a bad album and I'll come back to it to see if something really grabs me. It's just a little sad because we all know they are capable of delivering a lot more.     

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #513 on: October 14, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
2013: The year of when all of my old-favorite bands (A7X, Trivium, DT) released incredibly sub-par albums (except for Alter Bridge.)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: October 14, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »

I like how the band tries different things on every album and it always felt like there was this goal that they wanted to achieve in the end. To me Shogun felt like their "And Justice For All" and In Waves was kind of like their "black album".

:clap: THANK YOU. Glad i'm not the only one.

If anything - they skipped all the controversial albums and went straight to Death Magnetic.

Vengeance Falls is very clippy - has really sub-par songs on and harks back to their best work.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: October 14, 2013, 11:42:32 AM »
2013: The year of when all of my old-favorite bands (A7X, Trivium, DT) released incredibly sub-par albums (except for Alter Bridge.)

i agree with you apart from DT - DT has received almost unanimous praise. Something that cannot be said for Vengeance falls or Hail To The King

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: October 14, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »
I think that every Trivium album is fulfilling and you always feel satisfied from what the band deliver, but VF just feels like you've had the meal, but it's gone too quick and you are looking for more and you're still hungry.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #517 on: October 14, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »
Aside from a few solos here and there, this album is a stinker. Strife is just awful, Matt's vocals grate.
Not even going to listen to the rest of the album, frankly I have better stuff to listen to.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: October 14, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »
After in Waves it was a first day purchase.

Now, i'll just listen to the album on Spotify & watch the Vengeance falls documentary they're uploading episodically on Youtube.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: October 14, 2013, 06:19:04 PM »
I gotta say, I like In Waves a lot, but IMO I think it's a bit overrated.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: October 14, 2013, 07:18:46 PM »
No chance.

i listened to it again today. And it still kicks so much arse. Shogun is quite thin sounding and has really awkward transitions.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: October 14, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »
I'd put Shogun and Ascendancy so far ahead of In Waves it's not funny.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: October 14, 2013, 07:41:32 PM »
 :( :sadpanda:

I just can't get into Shogun. I've tried.

As long as we both agree that In Waves is at least better than Ember To Inferno, Crusade and Vengeance Falls ?

:hifive:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: October 14, 2013, 08:11:19 PM »

I just can't get into Shogun. I've tried.

As long as we both agree that In Waves is at least better than Ember To Inferno, Crusade and Vengeance Falls ?

:hifive:

Hmmm.....I don't know.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: October 15, 2013, 02:30:12 AM »