Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 644973 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7560 on: May 21, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »
I must've listened to the track The Night King a million times already since they released it right after the 'The Long Night' episode aired.

I still think that Light of the Seven is the best music of the entire series, but The Night King comes in second. Brilliant piece, it really gave the sense of "the world is about to end" when those scenes were playing out.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7561 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:58 AM »
I ran to iTunes last night and immediately bought the two songs that ended the show, The Last of the Starks and A Song of Ice and Fire. Amazing stuff. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online faizoff

« Reply #7562 on: May 21, 2019, 09:38:52 AM »
I must've listened to the track The Night King a million times already since they released it right after the 'The Long Night' episode aired.

I still think that Light of the Seven is the best music of the entire series, but The Night King comes in second. Brilliant piece, it really gave the sense of "the world is about to end" when those scenes were playing out.

Light of the Seven will always be my favorite track of the entire series as well and you are right The Night King comes second for me as well. I must've watched the last 10 mins of that scene like 50 times.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7563 on: May 21, 2019, 09:43:42 AM »
I'm going to do a full rewatch of the season soon and I have a feeling I will be very pleased with all of it apart from the 'rushing' aspect.

my wife is a teacher...so she gets summers off. She has a trip planned with her and the boys coming up. I'm planning on a full season 8 one sitting binge when they're out of the house  :lol   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7564 on: May 21, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »
I ran to iTunes last night and immediately bought the two songs that ended the show, The Last of the Starks and A Song of Ice and Fire. Amazing stuff. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I started getting goosebumps when the music evolved into a version of the main theme at the end - that was just so epic. 

One thing you can't complain about is the music in this series.  It is completely phenomenal and I'm glad that they created the GOT live concert with Ramin conducting an orchestra, so they can feature it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7565 on: May 21, 2019, 12:01:46 PM »
I thought the ending was solid. It's too bad I was aware of predictions and speculations, so Jon killing Dany didn't come off as a shock. The iron throne burning down and Bran becoming a king of a completely new regime, however, was surprising and very cool. Tyrion was the highlight of the episode for me. It's great that my favorite character stayed alive up to the very end of the series, as well as Sam and Arya.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7566 on: May 21, 2019, 12:12:05 PM »
Oh, and what's "West of Westeros"?
Westereros.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7567 on: May 21, 2019, 12:16:12 PM »
Anyone else see/read where there's a bit of internet chatter for them to make a show that follows Arya on her journey? I'd just rather leave it as is.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7568 on: May 21, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
Anyone else see/read where there's a bit of internet chatter for them to make a show that follows Arya on her journey? I'd just rather leave it as is.

I'm with you there. I don't want to see any "post-GoT" shows or books. Prequels, I'm only really interested in watching Robert's Rebellion, too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7569 on: May 21, 2019, 12:30:03 PM »

I didn't see this but thought the show left many stories in a way they could lead to sequals following certain characters.  I don't really need it or care for it necessarily though.

Oh, and what's "West of Westeros"?
Westereros.

Well if we assume their world is round and fully discovered, then it would be Essos.  I think it's highly possible Essos is just on the other side but the maps we see in the books don't really make that 100% a fact there is isn't more.

Maps like this one dont show an end point on the far east

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7570 on: May 21, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
I really briefly threw a couple maps of Planeteros into a map-to-globe generator... and then I realized that doesn't work because it just connects both ends, so who knows how much space is between the two coasts. Then again, GRRM has said the planet Westeros is on is a massive planet, so there could very well be an uncharted land way out there... fun to think about  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7571 on: May 21, 2019, 12:38:40 PM »
I'm only really interested in watching Robert's Rebellion

While I'm curious/excited/anxious to see the Prequels.....I'd LOVE to see a Robert's Rebellion Series. Honestly, I think they could make it one solid 10-12 Episode Stand Alone Season. You don't need a massive pre-story or build up....and we know what happens afterwards.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7572 on: May 21, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »

While I'm curious/excited/anxious to see the Prequels.....I'd LOVE to see a Robert's Rebellion Series. Honestly, I think they could make it one solid 10-12 Episode Stand Alone Season. You don't need a massive pre-story or build up....and we know what happens afterwards.

This. I really wish HBO (as well as other networks/media companies) would focus more on miniseries, especially in this age of streaming and not needing to hook people for long periods of time with cliff hangers and gimmicks. Band of Brothers is one of the greatest (IMO) things ever filmed. John Adams is way up there as well.   

How cool would it be to get a series of GOT stories that were all kind of independent of each other? No long and draw out stuff, just, like you said, 10-12 episode windows into different parts of the world through all different points in time. I think it'd be great.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7573 on: May 21, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »
Just watched the finale for the second time.  Like someone earlier mentioned, it's a different view knowing the twists.  I honestly think after the second viewing I even felt more satisfied with the outcome.  When I think back to other big show finale's ie... The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Lost, etc..  I think this finale for me is the best by FAR with regards to closure and satisfaction.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7574 on: May 21, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »

This. I really wish HBO (as well as other networks/media companies) would focus more on miniseries, especially in this age of streaming and not needing to hook people for long periods of time with cliff hangers and gimmicks. Band of Brothers is one of the greatest (IMO) things ever filmed. John Adams is way up there as well.

Band of Brothers is freaking incredible. In fact, it may be high time for a re-watch.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7575 on: May 21, 2019, 12:50:08 PM »

Chernobyl is a mini series too?  I've heard good things and maybe should watch.  But yea, I don't know if I really need to see Robert's Rebellion unless it's focus is not on R+L=J which we already know.  If they did a mini series and added some nice touches that would change your perspective on the story we already know, then maybe it could be good.  I kind of like the idea of a Long Night prequal series too.  Something in the universe but vastly different and maybe could shed light on things we already know about the world.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7576 on: May 21, 2019, 12:58:18 PM »
R+L=J didn't even amount to shit other than acting as apparently one of 2 catalysts for Dany snapping.  :facepalm:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7577 on: May 21, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »

I'm with you there. I don't want to see any "post-GoT" shows or books. Prequels, I'm only really interested in watching Robert's Rebellion, too.

I'd only be interested in revisiting the world after a lot of time has passed, perhaps staged mainly in a land Arya discovered, or in Essos. Current intrigue but with discussions about what happened during the rise of the Mad Queen, talking about how the Grand Maester and others at the time changed the way leaders were decided and how that had changed things in the intermittent time. Not a direct sequel, but just nods to how these events led to the current world.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7578 on: May 21, 2019, 01:06:30 PM »
Random question (from someone who never read any of the books):

How does the reception of this season impact the two (I think that's right) remaining planned books in the series?  Will Martin write to make the books consistent with what happened in the show?  Will the fan base's general dissatisfaction with the last season negatively (or positively) impact sales?  What will the reaction be if the books are wildly inconsistent with what happened in the show?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7579 on: May 21, 2019, 01:17:20 PM »

How does the reception of this season impact the two (I think that's right) remaining planned books in the series?  Will Martin write to make the books consistent with what happened in the show?  Will the fan base's general dissatisfaction with the last season negatively (or positively) impact sales?  What will the reaction be if the books are wildly inconsistent with what happened in the show?

The books are fully separate at this point.  My understanding is he gave the end points and some specific details (such as Hodor's death or Shireen's death) along the way for each character to Benioff & Weiss so they could finish the series.  But the path from A to B wasn't necessarily given, so the show fleshed out the story in their way.

I'd guess that the book series ends in a similar manner, but the characters may take a different path to get there.  Given the constant bashing that this show has received over the last few weeks, I'd imagine that fans will be happy to get the "official" version of the story from GRRM and it would be received better, even if it were similar in plot.

I'd be surprised if the books ever get finished before he eventually passes.  His blog just referenced 5-10 potential television series in development, some set in Westeros, some fully separate.  His heart just seems to be elsewhere right now.  And I can understand that if he gave the TV show enough details to complete the story as he generally intended.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7580 on: May 21, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »

The books are fully separate at this point.  My understanding is he gave the end points and some specific details (such as Hodor's death or Shireen's death) along the way for each character to Benioff & Weiss so they could finish the series.  But the path from A to B wasn't necessarily given, so the show fleshed out the story in their way.

I'd guess that the series ends in a similar manner, but the characters may take a different path to get there.  Given the constant bashing that this show has received over the last few weeks, I'd imagine that fans will be happy to get the "official" version of the story from GRRM and it would be received better.

Keep in mind that the final two books could be ghost written by an illiterate 5-year old wildly scribbling over 3000 pages and a subset of people would still swear to their death that the books were better.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7581 on: May 21, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »
We all wished there would have been 8-10 episodes the past two years (except for those who complain about dialogue and slow movement).

We all wished for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We all wished for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My wife and I ....well, we wished for another season or three.  Let's face it, other than a few shows such as 'Wired' and 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul' .....there aren't that many around that grab a person.

Game of Thrones grabbed us. 

'Long Live The North!'
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7582 on: May 21, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
Grapp -- I think he'll wrap Winds of Winter pretty soon. I think A Dream of Spring may not make it. He admitted to not having even starting that one, which is, unsurprising, but still ridiculous. My guess is, he'll outline it once WoW is done, and from there, we cross our fingers and hope he does eventually get it done. He had so much success late in life, he's trying to capitalize and take advantage of everything brought to him. I can't blame him, honestly. But I know if it were me, I'd want to wrap it up quickly, so I could go on and enjoy all those other opportunities, without the prospect of writing looming over my head.

As for other stories, I am undecided. I have Fire & Blood and haven't started it yet. It's on my list. But generally, I'm not big on prequels. I would actually like to continue following Arya, Jon, and even Tyrion from his perspective. It seems those characters could continue to make compelling TV on their own, as the primary characters.

And for those that mentioned Chernobyl -- watch it. The third episode aired on Monday, but I haven't watched it yet. The Mrs. and I watch them on Friday nights, so we've only watched the first two. Compelling, dark, haunting. Totally worth the watch.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7583 on: May 21, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »
R+L=J didn't even amount to shit other than acting as apparently one of 2 catalysts for Dany snapping.  :facepalm:

Yeah, really. Varys wrote letters, who received them? ah, who cares, there's no more time.

Jon could have really revealed himself to everyone - if Varys maybe hadn't already done the job for him - and he could have claimed the throne.... only to dissolve the monarchy as it was and fucking off to the Wall to live among the nature and the free folk. Then it would have been up to the others to decide what to do with the rest. Ok, it's not your typical hero story and all of that, but Jon was passive for basically half the series, if not more.

What has Jon done that he really wanted, beside going to the Night's Watch without understanding really how piss poor it was?

He got captured by the Wildlings.... he was forced from the Halfhand to be a secret agent.
He gets back... elected Lord Commander without running for it.
He got killed... revived because Davos pressed for it.
He freed Winterfelll... got acclaimed King in the North.
He kills Dany... gets incarcerated and his sister as a kind of plea has him sent to the Wall.

Couldn't the TRUE HEIR TO THE IRON THRONE get to decide at least something, anything about him?

I know the idea of Jon letting everyone know his origins isn't perfect.... but hey, if the bar is "Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet" and "Arya essentially jumps out of nowhere", I can suggest my own alternate endings without having to properly justify them  :P ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7584 on: May 21, 2019, 03:23:08 PM »
Yeah, Jon being a Targaryen should have amounted to so much more that just Drogon not burning him after killing Daenerys. As R+L=J is one of the biggest fan theories out there, I wonder how big of a role it will play in the books.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7585 on: May 21, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »
Yeah, Jon being a Targaryen should have amounted to so much more that just Drogon not burning him after killing Daenerys. As R+L=J is one of the biggest fan theories out there, I wonder how big of a role it will play in the books.

Well, spoiler alert.....

There's someone else in the book claiming to be Aegon so it's definitely going to be a bigger issue in the books.

As for the show, yea it kind of sucks it didn't become terribly meaningful, but it did play a role in the trust between Jon and Dany.  Kind of actually ended their relationship.  Makes you think if he wasn't a targ, if she would have still burned down Kings Landing.  It just never amounted to anything for Jon or the realm though, and I think maybe the lords all wanted it that way but they didn't make that clear.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7586 on: May 21, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Martin said that none of the prequel/spinoffs had anything to do with Robert's Rebellion.  We pretty much already know everything about that already, so I'm not sure what would be the point, really.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7587 on: May 21, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »

Well, spoiler alert.....

There's someone else in the book claiming to be Aegon so it's definitely going to be a bigger issue in the books.

As for the show, yea it kind of sucks it didn't become terribly meaningful, but it did play a role in the trust between Jon and Dany.  Kind of actually ended their relationship.  Makes you think if he wasn't a targ, if she would have still burned down Kings Landing.  It just never amounted to anything for Jon or the realm though, and I think maybe the lords all wanted it that way but they didn't make that clear.

I know, I have read the books (before ever watching this show as well).

As for the 'democracy scene' with the remaining 'lords' of Westeros though.. Who decided who would be sitting there and who wouldn't? Why are there 3(!) Starks, yet only one (if at all) from other houses? What did Gendry and Davos (low-born people who worked their way up) think of Sam's actual plea for democracy? Why was Jon being a Targaryen suddenly not important to anyone there?

So many more questions I won't ever bother to ask :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7588 on: May 21, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »
Season 8's soundtrack is amazing, I dare say I like it better than Season 6 which is my favorite. But maybe it's too early, gotta see how it ages.
There's a version of Rain of Castamere with Serj Tankian on vocals that is just amazing!
But there's a track called A Song of Ice & Fire that is pretty much a rehash of The Children from season 4 soundtrack, he completely shatter fortressed that one. 
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7589 on: May 21, 2019, 06:45:06 PM »
Re-watching, and I had to rewind a few times on the brief shot of Drogon getting up out of the snow. Just frikking killer.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7590 on: May 21, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »
Lol Aaron Rodgers who had a cameo in episode 5 goes on a rant of not liking the finale
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26796340
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7591 on: May 21, 2019, 07:52:56 PM »
Lol Aaron Rodgers who had a cameo in episode 5 goes on a rant of not liking the finale

Ugh. He probably signed the petition. Just cuz you have the pulpit doesn’t mean you need to speak.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7592 on: May 21, 2019, 07:55:57 PM »
As if Aaron Rodgers knows how to finish...

Online faizoff

« Reply #7593 on: May 21, 2019, 07:58:39 PM »

Ugh. He probably signed the petition. Just cuz you have the pulpit doesn’t mean you need to speak.
He was specifically asked by a reporter what he thought of the ending though, so I guess he chose to answer it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7594 on: May 21, 2019, 08:00:38 PM »

He was specifically asked by a reporter what he thought of the ending though, so I guess he chose to answer it.

I know...but he could have easily taken the high road....thanked them for allowing him to be an extra and not fed this ridiculous lynching of the show