Author Topic: 425’s Second Roulette v. Keep your hands upon the wheel  (Read 97178 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. The Talk About Your Favorite Epics Thread
« Reply #1330 on: October 10, 2018, 05:38:36 PM »
*snip
Every single song on this list I love, with the exception of Freebird (which isn't a terrible song). Why was it so hard for me to find stuff for you to like in your roulette?  :facepalm:

I wish I knew too!   :huh:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1331 on: October 10, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »
I'm not fond of epics these days, so haven't found many new ones to love, but these are oldies:

• DT - Six Degrees
  • Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn Pt. I, II
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Storm, Sleep, East Hastings
  • Liquid Tension Experiment - Freedom of Speech, Paradigm Shift
  • Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella, city in the lake
  • Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize, Voyage 34
  • DJ  Shadow - Stem / Long Stem
  • Bohren & der Club of Gore - Dead End Angels, Nightwolf
  • Boris - Feedbacker
  • Riverside - Hybrid Times
  • Sigur Rós - Untitled 7, 8, Ára bátur, Svefn-g-englar
  • Haken - Falling Back to Earth, Pareidolia
  • David Bowie - Blackstar
  • Steven Wilson - Raider II
  • Gazpacho  - Dreams of Stone
  • Nils Frahm - For / Peter / Toilet Brushes / More
New ones:
  • Sleep - Dopesmoker
  • Nine Inch Nails - The Background World
  • Mike Oldfield - Return to Ommadawn Pt I, II, Amarok
  • Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul
  • Obscure Sphinx - In the Presence of Goddess
  • Indukti - And Who's the God Now?
  • Fishmans - Long Season

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1332 on: October 10, 2018, 11:15:10 PM »
alright alright, here's somewhat of a top 10 (one song per artist). I might have forgotten stuff and I didn't bother trying to rank my choices.

Spock's Beard - The Light
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
The Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini
Transatlantic - Duel With the Devil
King Crimson - Starless
Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Haken - Celestial Elixir
Riverside - Hybrid Times
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Flaming Row - A Place to Revive Your Soul
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: October 11, 2018, 05:40:01 AM »
Ok, +15 top 10 in no particular order

DT - Illumination Theory
Frost* - Milliontown
Genesis - Supper's Ready
Haken - Crystallized
IQ - Without Walls
Karmakanic - Send a Message from the Heart
Moon Safari - A Kid Called Panic (less than 15 but couldn't leave it out)
Papir - IIII.III
Pink Floyd - Dogs
Transatlantic - Duel With the Devil
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline 425

« Reply #1334 on: October 11, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »
DT - Illumination Theory

You know, Illumination Theory is one that has been steadily climbing the ranks for me. I would not rate it far below Octavarium at this point.

Personally, I tend toward the 15+ view as well, though there are a number of 10-15 minute songs that have epic features. It just feels like if we're talking about songs that go well beyond the length of an ordinary song, 15 minutes draws a brighter, clearer line.

I listed a top 5 a little bit earlier, but now I'll expand that to a rough top 10.

1. Dream Theater - Octavarium
2. Transatlantic - All of the Above
3. Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
4. Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
5. Yes - Close to the Edge
6. Haken - Celestial Elixir
7. Dream Theater - Illumination Theory
8. Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope
9. Dream Theater - In the Presence of Enemies
10. The Neal Morse Band - Alive Again

I also really enjoyed Drawing the Lines of Mortal Existence when I got it in my first roulette, but I haven't taken the time to revisit it in a long time.

Neal Morse - The Conflict is one I've been getting into recently, but don't know where I'd rank it yet.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: October 11, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
I also really enjoyed Drawing the Lines of Mortal Existence when I got it in my first roulette, but I haven't taken the time to revisit it in a long time.

You should. I have a blast whenever I play that one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #1336 on: October 11, 2018, 10:33:03 PM »
I will! I think the main reason I didn't is that you sent it to me via MP3, and that kind of stuck the idea in my head that the only way to legally access it in the future would be to buy the CD. Now I see that it is on Spotify, so that's not so much of an obstacle.

One snippet for today:

The "kitchen sink" mentality adds considerably on this one, giving some needed diversity to what might otherwise feel too same-y over the duration of such a long track.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1337 on: October 12, 2018, 01:05:06 AM »
i really do hope i manage to squeeze by into the EP round because i'm just really excited about my EP :B

Offline 425

« Reply #1338 on: October 14, 2018, 12:17:13 AM »
i really do hope i manage to squeeze by into the EP round because i'm just really excited about my EP :B

Statistically, you have a 2/3 chance of doing so! But a 100% chance of me listening to your EP at some point.

Since I missed yesterday, have two snippets tonight.

The calmer sections are the highlights here. Plus, this song has a cohesive feel and my favorite vocal performance of the round.

Significant portions of this song are right up my alley, but there is one part that is definitely not my thing. I'm not saying it's bad; I think it's actually pretty well-done. But even when done well, it's a direction I would vastly prefer a musician not to go.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: October 14, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
The calmer sections are the highlights here. Plus, this song has a cohesive feel and my favorite vocal performance of the round.

That could be me writing about Milliontown :laugh: The vocal performance is great throughout and the calmer sections are the best.

Offline 425

« Reply #1340 on: October 14, 2018, 09:47:03 PM »
I can neither confirm nor deny that that snippet is about Milliontown...  ;)

(I do feel a bit of added pressure on evaluating that one due to its status as probably the biggest DTF fave of the roulette so far!)

Today's snippet (this is the 5th one for those counting; once I've done all nine I'll post them all in the same post):

This song spends a lot of time on an emotional tone that I am usually not a very big fan of. But I am finding it somewhat more appealing here than I usually do. Three listens in and it's still tough to say where this one will end up.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:53:03 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: October 16, 2018, 01:56:21 PM »
We need another snippet

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1342 on: October 16, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »
Results when :neverusethis:

Offline 425

« Reply #1343 on: October 16, 2018, 04:48:19 PM »
The individual snippets didn't seem to be getting much traction, so I decided to go ahead and post the whole raft of them in one go. This post will start with the five that I already did, and then include the four that I had not yet posted.

The artist was not really on my radar, but on my very first listen I am very impressed with this epic. It just has a really good feeling to it, both big and personal, with great work on both guitars and keyboards.

The "kitchen sink" mentality adds considerably on this one, giving some needed diversity to what might otherwise feel too same-y over the duration of such a long track.

Significant portions of this song are right up my alley, but there is one part that is definitely not my thing. I'm not saying it's bad; I think it's actually pretty well-done. But even when done well, it's a direction I would vastly prefer a musician not to go.

This song spends a lot of time on an emotional tone that I am usually not a very big fan of. But I am finding it somewhat more appealing here than I usually do. Three listens in and it's still tough to say where this one will end up.

Aspects of this are pretty strong, but there's more repetition than I would prefer, which makes it feel a bit less epic.

Although the style here isn't too far outside of a particular box, it really feels like this song has a strong personality all its own. That plus some really impressive instrumentation make it one of my favorite of the round.

This one feels compact, but dense. I do feel like there's a lot going on here that I might not fully pick up until I've heard it 7 or 8 times.

I'm impressed by the sheer skill of this one, but thus far I'm having a hard time identifying a clear throughline that takes this epic from point A to point B and so on. Finding such a line is an important part of enjoying an epic for me (and I do not enjoy very much epics that don't have a line), so the score for this one could depend on my ability to identify one.

As for "results when," I've listened to all the epics three times, and will start working on writeups tonight. So I would say that they might be done tomorrow night, or it might take another day and take me until Thursday night (all U.S. Eastern Time). The goal is to have them ready for tomorrow, but I don't want to make a promise I'm not sure if I can keep.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1344 on: October 16, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »
Hmm. I may have pushed the Cheesy Limits after all!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline 425

« Reply #1345 on: October 16, 2018, 08:52:30 PM »
Doing an epic round is very hard because the round takes significantly longer to complete even just listening to the songs the same number of times as in a normal round, and this number of times isn't realistically enough to do these longer compositions justice.

I just did the writeup to a song that I was predicting would score around a 7.5, and while I was listening to it and writing, it clicked hard and I wound up writing in a markedly higher score at the end of a writeup that was at least half about the things I didn't like about it.

All this to say that the scores here will be like if I was scoring how much I like a person after talking to them for a grand total of 30 minutes. I sort of know what I think of them ish, but I need more time with all of them (and will be taking more time down the road with most if not all of the epics here).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1346 on: October 17, 2018, 02:04:51 AM »
Aspects of this are pretty strong, but there's more repetition than I would prefer, which makes it feel a bit less epic.

Although the style here isn't too far outside of a particular box, it really feels like this song has a strong personality all its own. That plus some really impressive instrumentation make it one of my favorite of the round.

This one feels compact, but dense. I do feel like there's a lot going on here that I might not fully pick up until I've heard it 7 or 8 times.

Probably one of these

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1347 on: October 17, 2018, 04:44:26 AM »
I just did the writeup to a song that I was predicting would score around a 7.5, and while I was listening to it and writing, it clicked hard and I wound up writing in a markedly higher score at the end of a writeup that was at least half about the things I didn't like about it.

I hear ya dude - this exact thing happened a couple of times during my last roulette.  I remember specifically Evermind and Shmegland being the beneficiaries of that one listen about 5 or 6 times in where the song 'clicked', and their ranking jumped more than a couple of spots.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1348 on: October 17, 2018, 05:38:38 AM »
Please, 425, listen to my song until it clicks. No hurry.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1349 on: October 18, 2018, 02:24:40 PM »
I need to be shamed
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline 425

« Reply #1350 on: October 18, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »

I hear ya dude - this exact thing happened a couple of times during my last roulette.  I remember specifically Evermind and Shmegland being the beneficiaries of that one listen about 5 or 6 times in where the song 'clicked', and their ranking jumped more than a couple of spots.

Yes, this has happened to me twice now, too! The two beneficiaries remain nameless for now...

Oh, and :soon:
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1351 on: October 18, 2018, 08:38:40 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1352 on: October 18, 2018, 08:41:06 PM »
 :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline 425

« Reply #1353 on: October 18, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
Imagine how Parama would have reacted if I posted the writeups with the identities of who sent the two Flaming Row songs switched, as I almost did until I caught myself.

I literally went two weeks thinking that the songs were sent by the opposite people from who actually sent them.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1354 on: October 18, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »
i would've corrected you and then admonished you for not giving me the lowest score of the round

Offline 425

« Reply #1355 on: October 18, 2018, 10:01:42 PM »
Parama: 3/10. Almost gave this to Evermind but good news it's really yours.

Here are the writeups, over which I have long labored and which I have kept you waiting for far too long. Not much is needed by means of introduction except a brief explanation of a term that I just personally use when talking about epics.

I sometimes will talk in these writeups about a “line.” Whether the song has a line, whether I was able to find the line, what the line was, etc. By a “line,” I basically just mean whether there is a sensible progression of the song from one phase to another, such that it feels like it makes musical sense for all these phases to be together in one song, and such that the song itself feels like a whole despite having a number of different sections. This, to me, is one important feature that separates an enjoyable and integrated epic from a sort of disjointed mishmash of discrete pieces (The Fountain of Lamneth) or an undifferentiated mass of instrumentation with no apparent logic tracing its progression from any one part to any other part (Three Minute Warning).

It’s also worth noting that two songs can both have a line, and one can have a line I like better than the other. For example, I think Octavarium has the best line of any DT epic. SDOIT certainly also has a line, but I feel like there’s somewhat less of a logic to it, and less opportunity for emotionally compelling content, than it is on Octavarium’s.

The term “line” now explained, here are the writeups:

Kattelox: Rhapsody of Fire - The Mystic Prophecy of the Demonknight

Snippet: Significant portions of this song are right up my alley, but there is one part that is definitely not my thing. I'm not saying it's bad; I think it's actually pretty well-done. But even when done well, it's a direction I would vastly prefer a musician not to go.

Hmm. I may have pushed the Cheesy Limits after all!

Yeah, you may have.

Look, as I said to lead off the snippet, there is some stuff that I really like here. Chiefly, the symphonic elements, which are quite nice. They seem to be orchestrated pretty deliberately, with layers and thought that go beyond just “let’s put some epic strings here and a chorus there.” They also make the song feel really big, which is something that I think I’ve established pretty clearly so far is something I like.

Now as for the rest. There are other good aspects here. There some very memorable vocal melodies, particularly the main chorus, which is given a very epic sound by the presence of the chorus. I am also a fan of the folk elements that weave in and out here.

As to the not so good. First, as a relatively minor point, I don’t really think there’s a whole lot going on as far as the guitar riffs are concerned. They are serviceable, but it’d be nice to hear a bit more from that end of things. Not a huge objection on its own, but worth mentioning in passing.

But the main objection I have here, as the above indicates, is the cheesy element here.

Now, to be clear, I don’t really define cheesiness in the same way as other people do. I disagree that anything that goes for an epic sound or strings or features medieval-themed lyrics is cheesy. I really like a lot of things that seek out the grandiose, many of them things that are popularly considered cheesy but that I don’t consider cheesy.

As an example, Nightwish is one of my favorite bands. I think they have a few cheesy moments, but by and large they are not cheesy.

What I call cheesy is material that emphasizes a story or ideas that are rather trite, but played as though it is significant. And that, unfortunately, is something that I think is going on here.

Now, granted, I don’t know the full storyline here. But what I’m getting from the lyrics is a story that jumps out as pretty trite. Which is how most medieval European fantasy feels to me, to be honest, and without going on a tangent I will note that this is something that I am unlikely to enjoy in a book and unlikely to enjoy in song lyrics, and I will emphasize my lack of interest in this type of story by saying that I don’t even like Lord of the Rings (though I would not call it cheesy).

Now, a song could get away with having lyrics about this, maybe, if it managed to sneak them mostly past my notice. As it happened, this round, I looked up the lyrics to all the songs, and so I would have discovered some lines that I find pretty bad. But this song does the exact opposite of sneaking it past my notice. It features several extended voiceover sections that go out of their way to really emphasize the story.

In general, I do not like a voiceover, and voiceover is the element that I refer to above in the snippet. If it’s both well-done and brief, it’s okay. I think it works in SFAM well enough. Here, it is well-acted. I mean, Christopher Lee is undoubtedly a very good actor. But it is lengthy, not brief. And it is not well-written. I could go along with it for the first few lines, but once we got to the line “By all the gods of my Nordic lands / We are at the gates of death,” I could not any longer. This and a number of the following lines are just cheesy writing, in my opinion, about a story that strikes me as cheesy.

Since I’ve dedicated several paragraphs to emphasizing what I do not like about the lyrics and voiceovers, I’ll briefly emphasize again: Musically, I like much of this song! The symphonic features are very good, the vocals are pretty good, the melodies are good and memorable, the folk elements are an appreciated touch.

So what I’m looking at here is a song that I like a lot of, but that has a portion that’s like 20-25% of the total runtime that really turns me off in a big way. As difficult to score as it gets.

Score: 7 out of 10

Indiscipline: Chris Squire - Safe (Canon Song)

Snippet: Aspects of this are pretty strong, but there's more repetition than I would prefer, which makes it feel a bit less epic.

First of all, I’m really struck by how Yes-y this song sounds. I guess it goes to show how important Squire was in the Yes songwriting process! Even his vocal approach is pretty similar to Jon Anderson’s here. Honestly, this song could easily be a bonus Yes song from the CTTE-Relayer era.

True to this being a Squire solo track, the instrumental highlight here is the bass, and there is a lot of the excellent work I expect from him, but combined with some great keyboard sections, as well.

The first half is a pretty nice prog rock song. Nothing crazy, but a number of nice melodies and a lot of skilled playing. I particularly like the main melody, especially when it is played with the brass patch.

…Apparently Squire liked the main melody too, though, because he proceeds to work with it for most of the second half of the song. Which is kind of where I start to lose some interest here. As I said, it’s a good melody for sure! If they were going to pick a melody to work with for 7 minutes, this would be the one to pick! But honestly, it doesn’t make for an experience that I personally love. I like an epic to have some variety and really work through a number of distinct musical sections. And this one does not do that as much as I feel it could. I understand and appreciate some of the work with layering and going for a more classical approach, and I will give this one further listens in the future, but it is not really something that does it for me as much as a number of other songs.

I like all of the distinct parts of the song. I like the style. I just wish it had a little more variety to it.

Score: 7 out of 10

Evermind: Flaming Row - Mirage - A Portrayal of Figures, Pt. I

Snippet: The "kitchen sink" mentality adds considerably on this one, giving some needed diversity to what might otherwise feel too same-y over the duration of such a long track.

As the snippet suggests, the diversity is what makes this epic particularly memorable. Much of the runtime consists of a long slab of prog metal with vocal counterpoints. These sections are all pretty good, and the singers are definitely talented. But there is a certain amount of repetition of the riffs and melodies that makes those sections feel a little bit like standard length songs pulled out and lengthened.

Luckily, this song has the fantastic instrumental breaks featuring jazz and folk influences. These are things that I love when they are well-integrated into prog metal, and they really work wonders here to make this song feel a bit more expansive.

What this song has going for it is cohesion. All the parts are definitely tied together very strongly. There’s also a bit of build-up (though not as much as I prefer). particularly toward the end, and the aforementioned hint of diversity.

However, I still don’t find this to be among my favorite epics of the round because there is somewhat of a lack of diversity, I feel, among the vocal sections. All of them are good, but all of them are basically at the same tempo and of the same style. With a song this long, I’d just kind of like a part that slows down or a part that speeds up, a part that gets markedly heavier or markedly softer, something to differentiate the various vocal sections from one another. I would also really like to feel a sense of progression. A feeling like the song starts in one place and goes a lot of very different places, something that gives it a really strong line. And those are just not something that is present here. So, while I like this one, it does not compare with my favorites of the round.

Score: 7.5 out of 10

Parama: Flaming Row - In Appearance - A Portrayal of Figures, Pt. II

Snippet: This one feels compact, but dense. I do feel like there's a lot going on here that I might not fully pick up until I've heard it 7 or 8 times.

So, first, to get it out of the way, yes, this was my preferred of the two Flaming Row epics. Sorry, Evermind! The first part, I felt, didn’t have a ton of progression. It kind of threw out a lot of mid-paced metal sections with similar-ish vocal melodies, with a few different aspects in on the instrumental sections. All without that strong of a line. I didn’t really feel the song moved anywhere.

This one does have a markedly stronger line. And a big part of that is the lengthy piano intro, where the vocal melodies really give a sense of anticipation and buildup—something that always adds a lot to an epic.

This continues, though not quite as strongly, through the metal sections that follow. These sections have the advantage of some fairly interesting guitar work, though they also have the disadvantage of some vocal melodies that don’t really inspire me that much. There are also a couple of lines where the combination of the melody and the lyric just really don’t feel right to me at all: the lines that go something like “Is she dead or alive” and “I’m afraid to touch her skin.” Didn’t work for me. But there is some other stuff that does.

The middle metal section is definitely the weakest part, for me, as some of that was a bit hit-or-miss. The last 7 or so minutes of the song return to the strength of the opening piano section. There’s a focus back on the vocals and the emotion in the voices, and on building tension over time. And this section eventually reaches a pretty good climactic finale—actually probably the best finale of the round, which is worth something, as I really do enjoy a good finale!

In comparison between the two Flaming Row songs, I would say that Part I has the stronger metal sections, and has the folk/jazz influences going for it, while Part II has a stronger line and the climax going for it. It’s a relatively close call, but Part II does win out by a hair.

This could be in the top echelons if that early-middle metal section was better, and I wish that it was. But as is, it’s still a good experience.

Score: 8 out of 10

Elite: Beardfish - And the Stone Said: “If I Could Speak”

Snippet: Although the style here isn't too far outside of a particular box, it really feels like this song has a strong personality all its own. That plus some really impressive instrumentation make it one of my favorite of the round.

As the snippet indicates, this is a song that is very comfortably within the classic prog rock style. But it’s a song that handles that style really well and brings a lot of its own personality to bear. For example, the melodies that are introduced in the first three minutes are all played with a traditional prog rock sound, but there’s something about their structure that makes them obviously not Yes or Genesis clones. The same goes for the vocal stylings. There’s just a little quirk there that makes this clearly a Beardfish song.

Beyond the question of how distinctive these parts are, the important thing is that they are good. Some nice, almost folky-sounding vocal melodies and just lots of interesting material played on the keyboards, especially. This is a song that mixes together a number of quite enjoyable sections.

The big downside is that the line is not as compelling as it could have been. There is a small climax, but there really isn’t too much in the way of a journey, with build-ups, cool-downs, different musical elements coming in and out. The overall result is that we have a 15-minute song that has a number of good parts and certainly never gets boring, but that doesn’t really end up feeling like much of an epic. Just kind of an extended song. A good extended song, to be fair, but just that.

Score: 8 out of 10
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:16:00 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #1356 on: October 18, 2018, 10:06:29 PM »
ShadowNinja 2.0: Frost* - Milliontown

Snippet: This song spends a lot of time on an emotional tone that I am usually not a very big fan of. But I am finding it somewhat more appealing here than I usually do. Three listens in and it's still tough to say where this one will end up.

So, first things first: Nekov guessed that the snippet about the best vocal performance of the round might belong to this song, because that’s how he would describe it.

I disagree. In my opinion, the vocals here are solid, but nothing more. I don’t really like the style of singing where the singer goes for a sort of “numb” sound as shows up at times on this song, and I don’t really like the use of vocal effects, like I hear a bit of here. This style of singing does work better here than it usually does for me, in part because the actual melodies themselves are very well-written. So it’s a solid performance, but not transcendent

Instrumentally, the highlight here is obviously the keyboard work, which IS superlative. There is a nice, lush keyboard sound, and a lot of very good melodies and solos. And they cohere into a pretty good composition. I enjoy listening to each part individually, and I do think they come together into a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Now, as for the point made in the snippet. I do think this song goes for a bleak tone at many points over its duration, particularly on the vocal sections. Lyrically, it is definitely a very bleak song. There’s almost a contrast between the vocal sections and the instrumental sections, in that the mood is noticeably bleaker on the former. There are times when the instrumentation feels uplifted or even triumphant, sandwiched in between two melancholy vocal sections (the prime example being the instrumental section between the “The Chosen Few” and “Two Underground” vocal parts).

What this incongruity actually does is make the bleaker elements more palatable to me, because they appear only in moderation and as limited vocal portions of a mostly-instrumental song. The result is that I don’t get the overall feeling from Milliontown that I get from an epic like Anesthetzie (Porcupine Tree). There is not a sense of abject hopelessness, but a sense of spots of bleakness surrounded by a world in which things can be better. As a result, the bleakness (fortunately) does not kill this DTF favorite for me. The song leaves room for me to enjoy the bleak sections, since they are only parts and not the whole, and it enables me to especially enjoy the fantastic instrumentals.

And somehow, the whole thing manages to feel perfectly coherent, with a clear musical line.

This is a very good epic that I will definitely devote more time to. Instrumentally, it is just so skillfully done as to overcome my qualms about the vocal sections. Really, though I spent more time on my qualms, I want to emphasize how great the instrumentals of this are. There’s just tons of the melody and virtuosity that I enjoy in a prog epic. The keyboards in particular are fantastic.

Score: 8.5 out of 10

Lethean: Mystery - Another Day

Snippet: The calmer sections are the highlights here. Plus, this song has a cohesive feel and my favorite vocal performance of the round.

Yes, this is definitely the top vocal performance of the round. The singer can hit both the right notes and the right emotional resonances. This is apparent right off the bat in the calm opening section, on which the singer immediately has a chance to shine.

This epic really does have something of an unusual structure. It begins with the sort of section one might more likely hear at the end of a long track like this one, or as a standalone piece. Only after the relatively sedate but emotional opening segment does the song veer into heavier riffing and progressive instrumentation.

This middle section is a little bit hit-and-miss, but only a little bit. There is some stuff in the early part of the section that doesn’t do a whole lot for me, but there are several parts that are quite good, particularly the “The stars will rise” vocal parts.

The finale is probably the song’s strongest part. It echoes the introduction in an inventive way and then provides a pretty strong concluding instrumental and vocal section.

To be honest, this is one of the songs I had the hardest time evaluating this time. I think there are a lot of really good parts, and there’s a strong sense of cohesion, especially since the very strong and memorable beginning and ending parts echo one another. But the middle section is still a bit structurally confusing to me and is hard to track in terms of the line. That said, the strength of the finale is enough to put it well into the top echelon of songs. It is a really good section. I can only hope that future listens help me make more sense of the center and take away my remaining reservations.

Score: 8.5 out of 10

Nekov: Eric Gillette - Lost

Snippet: The artist was not really on my radar, but on my very first listen I am very impressed with this epic. It just has a really good feeling to it, both big and personal, with great work on both guitars and keyboards.

Yeah, as the snippet says. I knew about Eric Gillette from his role in The Neal Morse Band, of course, but he really wasn’t someone I knew about beyond his contributions to that project. I didn’t even know he had a solo album where he played all the instruments that has a big prog epic on it!

This epic just feels really nice to me. It’s really robust. There is an affinity with Neal Morse’s style, but the song has its own personality and doesn’t feel like imitation Morse. And the instrumentation is really strong. As the snippet says, the guitars and keyboards both feel like they play a big role in it, and really complement one another. The instrumental section in the middle of the song where the two instruments trade solos is fantastic.

Gillette’s vocals are pretty good, too, especially for this style of song. His vocal style and the lyrics here make this song feel personal and give it a bit of an emotional touch. There is also a really great line here that tracks what seems like a personal experience, and culminates a nice finale.

Stylistically, compositionally, this is exactly the type of epic I like, and it is one that is quite well done by an impressive solo artist.

Score: 9 out of 10

romdrums: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus (Live)

Snippet: I'm impressed by the sheer skill of this one, but thus far I'm having a hard time identifying a clear throughline that takes this epic from point A to point B and so on. Finding such a line is an important part of enjoying an epic for me (and I do not enjoy very much epics that don't have a line), so the score for this one could depend on my ability to identify one.

So, the snippet sets up the question that this writeup will have to answer and that will determine the score on this one.

I really enjoy a lot of the instrumental sections here. Keith Emerson’s keyboard playing is spectacular, and some of the solos that he pulls off live are just insane, especially in that final section (which I gather is maybe the part that’s extended in the live version?). Some of the sounds he uses do feel a little bit dated, but the vast majority of the playing here is just so good that I don’t really mind too much that there’s 30 seconds of laser guns sounds.

The vocals are clearly not intended to be the focus here, which is fine, and they are generally serviceable. I’m not sure how much I like the melodies in the “Mass” section—I really am undecided how I feel about those, which do make a strong impression.

As the snippet says, the issue is, whether there is a line, which is important for me in an epic. And on the final analysis, after four full listens, I definitely am able to pick up on a line of sorts taking me from one phase to the next. I’m beginning to track some of the themes as well, which helps out a lot. Which means that I’m recognizing this song as an articulated song, one with a lot of great sections, instead of just a lot of skilled sections that don’t really add up that well.

The skill on display here, particularly in the final instrumental section, make this a very enjoyable experience for me. Speaking of that final section, which does elevate this song a solid half point over what it would otherwise have scored, you mentioned specifically the drum and bass groove in your PM, and I think you were right to do so. Because this groove is really tight and actually contributes just as much to the section, IMO, as Emerson’s flights of keyboard wizardry. That groove gives this section, which has a strong vein of instrumental wackiness, the feeling of a true climax.

Really, upon finally identifying this song’s line, I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I imagined that I would. Truly one of the best of the round.

Score: 9 out of 10

Standings:
Indiscipline: 50.5
Evermind: 50
Lethean: 50
romdrums: 49.5
ShadowNinja 2.0: 49
Kattelox: 48.5
Nekov: 48.5
Parama: 48
Elite: 47.5

Okay, it's time for the penultimate push. Six of you will survive into the EP round and compete for the title of roulette champion. Three of you will not. And with only a 3 point separation between #1 and #9, it's anybody's game. Any one of you could win the roulette. And any one of you could be sending your last song right now.

This second-to-last round is an open round. And since this is the part of the roulette where I start to get a modest amount of new-music fatigue (don't worry, I'll be alright for the EP round), I would recommend trying to really wow me here. Make me pay attention to your song. But above all, send the best song for me that you have. Because you may need it, even if you're right up at the top.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1357 on: October 18, 2018, 10:07:59 PM »
not at the bottom of the round  :metal

don't think it'll be good enough to save me from the impending cut though since i only outscored people who are already above me and everyone i'm really competing with here matched or outscored me  :lol though there's only a 0.5 gap between me and not getting cut...

i may just go with the song i'm super incredibly into atm, i think you'd like it anyways
plus it taps into similar vibes as two bands on your favorite artists list so it's not a longshot by any means
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:17:20 PM by Parama »

Offline 425

Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. The Comeback Kid (Epic Round Results!)
« Reply #1358 on: October 18, 2018, 10:17:01 PM »
I'd rather go down on a song I love than on a failed attempt to guess what the person would like. But that's just me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1359 on: October 18, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »
Woohoo. :) That's a really nice song from Mystery, and according to jingle, it's not even their best.  I look forward to checking out some of their other albums myself.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1360 on: October 18, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »
yeah it's got <insert mystery genre> vibes here like two of the bands on your banned list, so i both think you'll like it and also absolutely adore it

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: October 18, 2018, 10:27:23 PM »
I mean, I don't know. I think Part 1 is way better than Part 2. That's tastes for you. At least the gap between two songs is only half a point.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1362 on: October 18, 2018, 10:39:33 PM »
part 2 has more feels

Offline 425

« Reply #1363 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:58 PM »
Honestly, neither part clicked as well with me as their reputation led me to expect. And I just didn't fall in love with the style of the metal parts on those two songs? So Part II gained an advantage just from having a greater percentage of non-metal parts, which I definitely preferred to the metal parts on both. Plus it being more dynamic and having more of a build-up type structure helped. And yeah, Part II definitely had more emotional resonance as well.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1364 on: October 19, 2018, 03:52:25 AM »
Fair assessment, that was the risk I was talking about. Glad it didn't cost me (too) much.

Gotta stick with the oldies for this decisive round, for better or worse.