Author Topic: 425’s Second Roulette v. Keep your hands upon the wheel  (Read 97175 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. The Comeback Kid (Results :soon:)
« Reply #245 on: August 29, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »
There are like 10 snippets that may apply to my song. I just hope I make it to the EP round to be honest.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. The Comeback Kid (Round 1 Hangmanen!)
« Reply #246 on: August 29, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »
Results definitely coming tonight. I wrote half the writeups yesterday and will finish the other half today.

Anybody want to make any guesses? You know the songs. You have the snippets. Some of you probably know the judge pretty well by this point...

I don't, since I think I started really posting after you went on hiatus.  I get the sense you don't like harsh vocals, but I don't have much of that to send anyway.  Though I do have a little more now thanks to my roulette. 

I don't have a good guess, but do wonder if perhaps mine is the one with lyrics you didn't like.  All I can say about that is that I gave them my own meaning, because I love the song too much to let anything turn me away from it, including the lyricist. ;)

Offline 425

« Reply #247 on: August 29, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
There are like 10 snippets that may apply to my song. I just hope I make it to the EP round to be honest.

Oh, that reminds me! Here's the new plan for eliminations:

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm going to carry 18 participants for two more rounds (so through the third round). There re two reasons for this: 1) I have particular tastes and I'll meh stuff for reasons that everyone else might think are dumb. So I want to give people a bit of a chance to recover if I give them a bad score; and three rounds seems to be the minimum to allow for that. And, 2) I like getting a lot of music.

However, once we've gotten the baseline three rounds down, eliminations are going to come down at a pretty steady clip until we get down to a slim 6 participants for the EP round. Here's the plan:

After Round 3, the bottom 3 participants will be eliminated, leaving 15.
After Round 4, the bottom 3 participants will be eliminated, leaving 12.
After Round 5, the bottom 3 participants will be eliminated, leaving 9.
After Round 7, the bottom 3 participants will be eliminated, leaving 6.

I am also going to readjust the order of the themes, so that there will only be 9 participants left when I do the epic round. I might also kill the first live round, and make it so that the first three rounds are all open.

Oh, and another thing I said in the OP that I'm now going back on: I am going to make use of half-points, after all. With this many songs it would be a bit boring if I said "oh here's 5 songs and they're all an 8."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: August 29, 2018, 01:29:59 PM »
Wow, that elimination system is pretty aggressive. And if we are allowed to vote, I'm totally OK with you eliminating one live round. I don't listen to live stuff so those are going to be super hard  :lol

Regarding the snippets, as some guys have said I can see at least 6 that could match my song and they are all pretty similar.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline 425

« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »
I'm always looking for feedback. It sounded to me like the live round thing was something some people found frustrating. I like live music, so I'd like to have one, but we can stick to just the one.

As to the elimination system: I know it's quite steep. I honestly just don't know quite how else to handle it. We have 18 contestants now, but I can't review 18 epics in a week, much less 18 EPs. Plus, what I found in that v1, where I had 10 people and I had no eliminations, was that people who are toward the back of the pack get kind of dejected toward the end of the roulette, when they have no chance of winning.

Let me know. If there's a popular outcry to the effect that everyone wants more people in to the bitter end, even though they might still be playing when they're realistically eliminated, even though that might mean that something like the EP round takes longer than a standard period of time, I'm not averse to changing my mind.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2018, 01:46:08 PM »
I like that you welcome feedback. My honest feedback will be: do whatever you feel will be better for your roulette. You are running it, you have to take the time to listen to everything, do writeups and score. I just mention that the elimination is steep because it is the first time I've seen it done that way but if that's what works for you then us participants will have to bring our A game to try and avoid getting thrown out the door.
And writing that last line I did have a thought. Since you are eliminating people that way you should think of some sort of tie-breaker in case the scores at the bottom are close together. If the bottom 4 scores happen to be  25, 25, 26 and 26 what do you do?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »
I agree with killing the live rounds  ;D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
I agree with killing the live rounds  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
I'm always looking for feedback. It sounded to me like the live round thing was something some people found frustrating. I like live music, so I'd like to have one, but we can stick to just the one.

I had a Live Round in my first roulette. My thinking was that back in the day, if I wanted to start with a band, I tended to go for their live album. I've always felt that it's a good way to start.

But it was met with some unexpected resistance. Big time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »
Question about the live round....does it have to be from a official live release by the band, or can it be a live YT video? The latter would give us a shit ton more leeway.

And I'm cool with keeping a live theme for the 3rd round, I got something I'm itching to send in a roulette.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:35:53 PM by lonestar »

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2018, 02:54:05 PM »
I’d be in for a live round. Nice challenge to come up with something good. You have weeks to find something before that round even starts.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lethean

« Reply #256 on: August 29, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »
I'm fine with a live round too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
Kill the live round with fire.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #258 on: August 29, 2018, 03:00:16 PM »
I’d be in for a live round. Nice challenge to come up with something good. You have weeks to find something before that round even starts.

All my submissions are found approximately 10 seconds before I send them.

Offline 425

« Reply #259 on: August 29, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
I like that you welcome feedback. My honest feedback will be: do whatever you feel will be better for your roulette. You are running it, you have to take the time to listen to everything, do writeups and score. I just mention that the elimination is steep because it is the first time I've seen it done that way but if that's what works for you then us participants will have to bring our A game to try and avoid getting thrown out the door.
And writing that last line I did have a thought. Since you are eliminating people that way you should think of some sort of tie-breaker in case the scores at the bottom are close together. If the bottom 4 scores happen to be  25, 25, 26 and 26 what do you do?

I appreciate the input. I think I will probably end up sticking with that progression (I agree it is almost unprecedented, but I think an 18-participant roulette is almost unprecedented, too), but I'm still open to additional comments.

As for ties... One obvious option for resolving a tie is to keep in the person who had the best scoring song. In other words, if one person had two 6s and a 9, and the other had a 6, a 7 and an 8, then the second person would be eliminated. The other option I can see would be sudden death: each person involved in the tie would submit a song, I would listen to each song, say, 2 times, and the least favorite song would go out. I'm leaning toward the sudden death option because it sounds more fun. But again, I'm open to suggestions.

I had a Live Round in my first roulette. My thinking was that back in the day, if I wanted to start with a band, I tended to go for their live album. I've always felt that it's a good way to start.

But it was met with some unexpected resistance. Big time.

Yeah, I am much the same way. I love live releases, and definitely did not expect this much backlash (I guess it's that Iron Maiden pedigree ;D). So, I am not going to kill the live round. But I am going to go from the original plan of having two live rounds down to one.

Question about the live round....does it have to be from a official live release by the band, or can it be a live YT video? The latter would give us a shit ton more leeway.

This is a very good question. I think it's totally fine if it's a live YouTube video so long as the quality is decent. If it's an audience recording done on somebody's cheap cell phone where I can barely hear the music, then I don't want that. But if it's a good recording, I'm happy to take it whether or not there's a Blu-Ray/2CD set available for purchase.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »

All my submissions are found approximately 10 seconds before I send them.

Five for me. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #261 on: August 29, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »
How about a Results Round?

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: August 29, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
Everyone sends in a number instead of a song and the numbers get randomized among all the other players & then given out as scores

Offline 425

« Reply #263 on: August 29, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »
You would send a 1 and then either get a 10 or your 1 right back. Nothing else could possibly make sense.

Results are in the making. I'm still Roadrunner Records though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
:king:

:kingshmeg:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
425, this is your roulette and you make the rules as you see fit. We will welcome every decision and judgement with utter respect and intimate appreciation.

Naturally, if you don't like my song you don't have a soul.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2018, 05:09:19 PM »
425, this is your roulette and you make the rules as you see fit. We will welcome every decision and judgement with utter respect and intimate appreciation.
Naturally, if you don't like my song you don't have a soul.

So you have High Hopes?  :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »
I'm Lost for Words and a bit Marooned, but a good writeup would be A Great Day for Freedom.
What Do You Want from Me?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2018, 05:12:18 PM »
 :lol

I'm jacked to see the scores.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2018, 06:28:06 PM »
I think a good solution could be to offer two themes for that round: either a live recording, or another theme you choose, like growl-only :neverusethis:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »
How about Live Growls?

;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »
you have to submit a death metal cover of your entry that you made yourself

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2018, 07:03:13 PM »

I have one that's Tom Sawyer.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2018, 08:40:04 PM »

I have one that's Tom Sawyer.

Wow, aren't you a modern day warrior?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »
My stride isn't so mean anymore. 

Offline 425

« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
I'm literally getting submissions for Round 2 already. That's how I can tell that I'm being too slow with results. :lol

I only have three more songs to do. It'll be another 20 or so minutes.

If someone actually has a growled cover of Tom Sawyer, that would be kind of wild.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2018, 08:55:44 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Offline 425

Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. The Comeback Kid (Results!)
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »
A Note about Scoring:

I have done several things to adjust my scoring mechanism since the roulette championship and my v1 roulette. So the most important thing I want to ask is for people to please not take these scores and put them up against the scores I've done in the past and try to make a 1-to-1 comparison. I don't think I've ever scored a song less than 6/10 before. This time I have given a single 5.5. That does not mean that this song is my least favorite song I have ever received in a roulette. It is not. It's just that I'm trying to be meaner, partly to get a bigger spread between the higher and lower scores, and partly to bring these scores more in line with the reality of my thoughts about each song, and to adjust a little bit for what I'm calling "roulette goggles"—where I like something more in the context of a roulette than outside that context.

To give you a rough idea of what each score means, here's a little chart:
10 = An instant favorite.
9 = A song that I really like, which has something special that I particularly enjoy.
8 = A song that I like quite a bit and have no objections to.
7 = A song that I definitely like, but just doesn't get me as enthused as others. Might have something minor that is off-putting.
6 = A song where I like more about it than I don't, but there may be something I don't like so well that I can't really ignore.
5 = A song that I feel neutral about.
4 = A song where I dislike more than I like, but still close to neutral.
1-3 = Varying shades of genuine dislike.

Also, ultimately, these scores come down to me trying to put a number to my personal feeling about the song (and, as a new important thing I think about: how much it makes me want to hear more from the artist). I struggle with a lot of these, and ultimately just try to do the best that I can.

Train of Naught: Little Tybee - More Like Jason

Snippet: I don't dislike this, but the only part that really feels substantial to me is the instrumental section near the end.

I don’t know how exactly I would describe this song, except to call it something like “airy prog.” The instrumentation is definitely proggy, and almost all the music and singing is in a pretty high register.

I’m not familiar with a lot in this specific style, but for anything that’s very cheery and floaty like this, the issue for me is not whether it’s going to be pleasant or unpleasant. The question is whether there’s substance that is going to make me remember and want to return to it.

And here, unfortunately, there is not… for most of the song. There are a couple of decent melodies, but nothing that really strikes me as all that memorable until the last minute or so, when there is an instrumental section. This section finally starts exploring the lower register a bit more, and heads in the direction of rocking rather than floating. I do like this section. But right when I feel like the song is about to get a lot better, it ends!

There’s nothing bad here, and there’s one section I enjoy, but this song did not have enough going for it, either.

Score: 5.5 out of 10

Sacul: múm - Green Grass of Tunnel

Snippet: This song is pleasant, but I'm not sure yet if it's the sort of thing to leave a significant impression.

This is another song that I am not quite sure how to describe, but the gist is that it is a quiet, quasi-electronic piece with soft, airy vocals.

This one does have a good instrumental hook, which is definitely memorable. And it seems to be a well-written song, and maybe one that I would return to on certain occasions. I wouldn’t even hesitate to call it a very pretty piece.

However, I must say that since my first roulette, this is the type of music that has most fallen out of favor with me. Yeah, it’s pleasant, and it sets something of an interesting vibe, but it just doesn’t have much more going on that I am interested in (I get that there are things going on with the layering of the electronics, but that’s not something that strongly interests me).

Score: 6 out of 10

Aefenwelg: The Mars Volta - Son et lumiere/Inertiatic ESP

Snippet: I'm not really a fan of the lyrics on this one, so it's a question of how much they detract from some pretty enjoyable instrumentation.

I’ve heard a lot about The Mars Volta, but I don’t think I had ever listened to one of their songs. My first reaction was one of surprise—I don’t know what I had expected, but it wasn’t anything as melodic or dynamic as this. The vocal melodies are quite good, especially on the first verse, and chorus riff is memorable.

Now, as for what I didn’t like: For one thing, I did not particularly enjoy the quiet part at the end, from the last verse to the end of the song. There were some elements of dissonance introduced there that I wasn’t keen on.

But my far more significant complaint was indicated in my snippet: the lyrics. I do not like lyrics that talk about morbid and disgusting things. I don’t care if there’s some artistic effect they are meant to achieve—they just make me feel gross. And that’s how the lyrics of this song make me feel.

The music here is mostly good, and would probably be worthy of at least a 7. But one of the tests I’m using in scoring this roulette is how likely I am to come back to this song, and whether the song makes me want to hear more from this artist. The dissonant stuff and the lyrics push this one down by that standard.

Kattelox: Sonata Arctica - My Dream’s but a Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare

Snippet: Importantly, this song avoids sounding generic, which is criticism I have of a lot of stylistically similar music.

This song is probably the one this round that I spend the most time going back and forth on. I really did like the style of this one, and (as the snippet indicates) appreciated that it avoided sounding like generic power metal. My first impression was quite positive, and even though there was a lot of stuff going on in this one that I couldn’t quite hold together on the first go, I was optimistic that on future listens it would settle in.

Unfortunately, it never really got to that point. This song still does feel pretty disjointed to me. There are good sections and good moments, like the opening part, the early verses and the choral element on the line “for a nightmare.” As I said, I really like the style, and I think the singer is quite good. But the song as a whole doesn’t really work for me.

Nekov: Karmakanic - Alex in Paradise

Snippet: I like how this song has a lot of substance in the instrumentation despite feeling a little bit "airy."

This song is an interesting prog rock piece that was pretty enjoyable. As the snippet indicates, what I really found interesting here is that the overall sound of the music is pretty light, happy and airy. But unlike a lot of songs that have that sort of feel, this one has a lot of underlying complexity in the instrumentation. It’s one of those prog songs that seems simple, but that apparent simplicity is deceptive, because there are layers.

In particular, I would note that I really enjoyed the prominent role of the bass on this song. I found the work there quite good, and a nice compliment to the soaring vocals.

It is partly the vocals, however, that hold this song back from a higher score. I think the lead vocalist is decent—nothing special, but capable. The backing vocals, however, are a little bit annoying, particularly on the chorus, where they are somewhat distorted (“repres-en-ta-tive”).

The other thing that keeps me from awarding a higher score is simply the fact that the emotional tone of this track is not one that particularly appeals to me. This sort of uncomplicated, relaxed positivity just does not interest me as much as a lot of other emotional tones. That’s not to say I’m anti-happy-songs, quite the opposite… just that the note this one hits does not strike a particularly strong chord with me.

Score: 6.5 out of 10

TAC: Kælling - Cognition

Snippet: This song really wanders a lot of places, and there's a lot of good stuff, but I'm not hearing much that stands out as more than just good.

This is an interesting prog metal piece from what looks like a pretty new band. The song, as the snippet says, wanders through a number of sequences, many of which have some pretty good melodies and proggy instrumentation. The closest comparison I have is Haken—some of the way they play with time signatures is Haken-esque, and there is a multi-layered vocal part that is a bit reminiscent of recent Haken—but these guys are definitely their own thing. Importantly, I really like the vocals on this track. The melodies are well-written, and the singer is quite good. There are a few growls, which are well-used and well-placed.

The thing that keeps me from scoring it any higher is indicated by the snippet. I think this song is good, but there is nothing that stands out to me as a great moment or section, and even after listening to this song several times, there are few parts that stay in my memory and push me to want to go back to it.

Score: 7 out of 10

Parama: Amy Shark - Drive You Mad

Snippet: This sounds a lot like [an artist I really like], but it doesn't really reach their level.

So, first things first, the artist described in brackets is obviously Lorde, which is probably obvious to you upon seeing that this is your snippet and might even have been part of the reason you chose this song.

Well, I do enjoy the spare electronic instrumentation on this track. And I do enjoy the female vocalist who does a nice job of exploring the lower registers. Like many pop songs, the chorus is the main attraction here, and it is indeed a good one. The verses are solid as well.

Like a lot of the songs in this score range, there isn’t really anything negative I have to say. This is a good song that will encourage me to check out more of her music. It’s just that the ones that outrank this have something more that pushes them into the higher scores.

Score: 7.5 out of 10

lonestar: Ostura - The Room

Snippet: There is a surprising diversity of good parts in this one, but I'm a bit uncertain how it coheres into a whole.

As the snippet indicates, this is a song that has a lot going on, especially for being less than 5 minutes long. This song is primarily metal, but has symphonic elements, a piano section, a guitar solo and multiple vocalists. For my first several listens, I had a hard time seeing how all these pieces come together into something coherent.

After allowing it to settle in a bit, however, I am starting to enjoy this song pretty well. I think the female vocalist, in particular, has a very nice voice, and her section is quite pretty. The chorus feels nice and big, and provides a bit of a hook to draw the listener into this multifaceted piece.

In the final analysis, I enjoy this one, and have no real reservations. It has gotten me interested in checking out more from this artist. The higher songs just have something extra that interests me a bit more.

Score: 7.5 out of 10

OpenYourEyes311: James LaBrie - Agony

Snippet: I like the vocals, but I'm still trying to get into the riffs, which feel like they lack a bit in color.

Believe it or not, despite having been a fan of Dream Theater for almost 6 years, this is the first time I have ever heard a James LaBrie solo song. I guess I was worried that, like a lot of solo projects, his music would be a fairly generic effort, or a clone of the namesake’s primary band.

Here, I was quite pleasantly surprised. The music on this song is a lot heavier and faster than I was expected, but the riffs, I eventually concluded, are actually deceptively melodic. It’s not the most exciting riffing I’ve ever heard, but it is no bland chugging. And, instrumentally speaking, I am impressed by the guitar solos at around the midpoint of the song.

Vocally, I am, perhaps unsurprisingly, a fan of James LaBrie. While I love his work on soaring, progressive material in Dream Theater, I think this song actually plays better to a lot of James’s core strengths as of the last decade than a lot of the DT material released during that time. He seems to run effortlessly through these fast-paced yet memorable vocal melodies, and the little bit of edge that he uses recently fits perfectly. And, hey, he sounds great doing counterpoint with the growler on the first verse.

I’m now certainly interested in checking out this album, and sorry I never gave poor James a chance before on his solo stuff. Definitely a good song.

Score: 8 out of 10
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
Stadler: Queen - The Prophet’s Song

Snippet: The vocal part about halfway through goes really far away from what I expected, and it's something I wouldn't have expected to work... but it somehow does.

Like a lot of people, Queen is one of those bands where I knew the hits, but had not really taken the opportunity to dive deeper. I obviously knew from Bohemian Rhapsody that they are capable of producing some varied and progressive material, but I was never sure if that was a one-off.

It was not a one-off. This is a pretty epic song that brings together a lot of different elements into an enjoyable whole. The first half of the song includes some nice buildup and a great performance from the great Freddie Mercury. He is obviously one of the great rock vocalists, and a lot of his deliveries here are great, and he has some nice lines to work with. I especially like “Deceive you not the fires of hell will take you / Should death await you.”

At the halfway mark, the song goes for something completely different: an a capella section that is close to two minutes long. As the snippet says, at first, I wasn’t sure if it worked—but I wound up coming to like it quite a bit. It somehow manages to keep all the momentum from the heavy rock that came before and feed into the section after—while going through a number of different a capella sequences.

Serious credit for this song going for something outside of the box and making it really work. This one has convinced me to give Queen a closer look.

Puppies_On_Acid: Marillion - Neverland

Snippet: I enjoy this song a lot. But I do feel like there's so much to digest that I couldn't fully get it all in the context of a roulette round.

My experience with Marillion is positive, but it is limited to having received Sugar Mice in my v1 and enjoyed it. This was, of course, a song from a much later era of Marillion, but it was no less enjoyable experience—and one that showed me that this band is capable of a long, proggier composition.

The instrumentation here just works for me. It’s skillful without being overplayed, the guitar tones are nice, and there’s a nice diversity in instrumentation (acoustic and electric guitar, piano, keyboard and some nice prominent bass). The vocals are pretty nice, too. The singer hits all the emotional notes, and his voice fits with the music.

My one regret with this one is that, as the snippet suggests, there is so much here that I don’t think I was able to take all of it in. I think this is the potential downside of sending a long, multifaceted song. I don’t think you’ll be unhappy with this score, just as I am certainly not unhappy with this song but I can see it growing more down the road as I give it more time and more listens.

Even though this is long, and it’s one of those songs that feels as long as it is, it does not feel at any point unjustified. It really sprawls out and works with the full 12 minutes to achieve a really nice effect. I guessed it was the last song on the album before I even looked up, and I’m sure it’s great in that capacity. This has definitely motivated me to more fully investigate Marillion.

Lethean: Threshold - Light and Space

Snippet: I don’t know why I have never heard of this band. This seems right up my alley.

Somehow, this band, which has apparently been around for a while, did completely miss my attention over the years. Which is unfortunate because I really do like their style. There is a nice combination of heavy riffs and soaring vocals that makes the whole song feel quite powerful.

The heavy-verse-soft-chorus dynamic might be on its way toward cliche status by now, but I really enjoy it when it is done well, which it is here. The verses and choruses both have some really nice melodies, especially the first one in the verses “As you look on…” The singer does a good job of working back and forth between those heavy and soft parts, as well.

The one thing I feel is missing is that the third repetition of the verse-chorus pair feels very similar to the first two, and it would be nice to have something to give it a bit of a different feel. But that’s a relatively minor quibble. This is definitely a band I’ll have to check into further.

kingshmegland: Echolyn - The End is Beautiful

Snippet: I like a lot of what's going on here, but I do find the song a bit repetitive.

Another song from a band that has been a while and stylistically seems quite up my alley, but somehow missed my notice until now. And one I am quite glad to have finally heard.

This song was very much a grower for me. At first, I must admit, I rated it toward the bottom of the set of songs here, which is when I wrote the snippet. But after letting it settle in for a few more listens, I no longer feel it is repetitive, and have found a lot more here to enjoy.

Like a lot of prog songs, this track plays with some loud and soft dynamics. What I like here is that the band feels maybe even more comfortable in the quiet, subtle sections than in the louder, heavier sections. There’s no need here to play a million miles a minute; the playing is instead subtle and careful.

And as for that repetition? I now see it as the climax that the song has been slowly building to, piece by piece. Those “how do IIIIIIII?” parts aren’t loud and bombastic, but they are nonetheless the ideal climax for this one. This is a song that really snuck up and surprised me, and an artist that I am going to have to look into.

Score: 8.5 out of 10

ShadowNinja 2.0: Frightened Rabbit - Die Like a Rich Boy (Acoustic)

Snippet: This isn't a style of music I usually listen to, but I'm definitely having a genuine emotional response to this.

I was a little bit worried when I saw that you had send me a solo acoustic song, because that’s a style I don’t normally listen to, and where I find a lot of things okay, but nothing special.

I shouldn’t have doubted you. When have you ever let me down?

This is a really, really nice song. The instrumentation is incredibly simple, but it serves well as the background to an excellent vocal performance. The melodies are just great, and his voice is so filled with emotion that I have been genuinely touched on a couple of my listens. The subtle reverb is a really nice touch that makes this one man performance feel so big at the right times, while still retaining the intimate feel that these songs tend to have.

This is a wonderful song. I can only hope that the band has other songs of this caliber, even though I know that this is an acoustic version.

Score: 9 out of 10

Elite: Caligula’s Horse - Marigold

Snippet: This song already feels comfortable and familiar to me, and only on the second listen.

I had heard good things about this band, and was happy to find that they did not disappoint at all.

This is a song that, I don’t know, just mixed and matches some great heavy riffs and vocal melodies, a lot of them on quieter sections, in a very pleasing way. The riffs are, themselves, catchy, which is a good sign in and of itself. And there are just so many catchy vocal melodies here. The “Give me heresy” part of the chorus in particular is fantastic. Add on top of this a great guitar solo, and the result is a really enjoyable song that instantly makes me want to see more of what these guys have to offer.

romdrums: 22 - Staying Embodied

Snippet: I didn't know what to expect at all going into this one, but this is one of the songs this round that most strongly caught me the first time through.

As the snippet will tell you, I really did not know at all what to expect from this song, going in. But yes, this one caught me right away and remained one of my favorite songs all the way through the round.

For the benefits of others: This song is a really good little piece of prog rock. It’s not really guitar heavy, but there’s a lot of interesting bass stuff. And the vocals are really fantastic. The chorus is absolutely fantastic. The singer nails it and just makes you want to sing along. He’s especially impressive when he reaches for the high notes on the final chorus.

Overall, this song is one of those that is deceptively simple. It seems on the surface like there’s not a lot going on, but there are a lot of layers. This one also has that great chorus and really good performances from the singer and bassist. One that I am an instant fan of, and that makes me want to see what else this band has in store.

Evermind: While Heaven Wept - Vessel

Snippet: I'm really loving how big this song feels. Definitely one of my favorites so far.

I don’t really know what doom metal is, and it doesn’t sound like something I’m interested in, but I am definitely interested in whatever these guys are doing here.

What they are doing here, I would say, is piling up these huge-sounding melodic riffs, and layering over them a series of great clean vocal lines, including a huge, anthemic chorus.

I really have no other way to say it: This song just feels massive.

One thing that really sells this one for me, on top of just the fact that I love the vocals and the instrumentation: The lyrics clearly refer to sailing, and the album art depicts a small ship on a massive, rough sea. And the music reflects this. Especially on the verses, there is a rising and falling sound that is reminiscent of the motion of a rough sea. And then there are these moments of confident smoothness, like the chorus, and the bridge. Those remind me of a confident sailor commanding the waves.

I am a fan of the sea. I am a fan of songs about the sea. I would be a fan of this song even if it was not about the sea. A great submission.

Indiscipline: Pink Floyd - High Hopes

Snippet: This is one of those songs where you just feel like it's something great right from the start.

I am, of course, familiar with Pink Floyd. They are only partially banned. And for artists where this is the case, I will include a short explanation in the writeup.

I am familiar primarily with their most well-known period, especially The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall. The Dark Side of the Moon lives up to its reputation for me. I really like that one. Wish You Were Here and The Wall both have things I really like and things I really don’t. I’ve listened to Animals and Meddle once a piece, and neither did much for me on the single listen (but are not banned). I have long suspected that much of what I don’t like is Roger Waters’ contribution, whereas I am more of a fan of David Gilmour’s side of things—though not entirely, since I did find Waters’ song It’s a Miracle quite good musically.

I am not, as I have suggested already, a fan of music that gives off the sense that the world is a depressing or malicious place. I do get this sense from a lot of Waters-era Floyd.

This is something else entirely.

This song is wonderfully positive. And just wonderful. It is, as my snippet says, a song that just insists upon its greatness right from the stop. It immediately announces itself with authority and just does not stop until it has had its say. This is an absolutely inspired work. The instrumentation begins by just providing a few small but memorable melodies to underscore Gilmour’s vocals. But there are true instrumental highlights. There is a fantastic peak about halfway through the song. And Gilmour’s solo is, as one would only expect, fantastic. I love how he lets those silences sit between the notes at the right moments.

As for those vocals: I have always like Gilmour best of the Floyd vocalists, and I think he has done well on the solo songs of his that I have heard. This is definitely my favorite of his vocal performances. The lyrics are great, and this is one of those ones where the way the singer delivers the words just enhances their power and meaning. Gilmour makes the line “Leaving the myriad small creatures trying to tie us to the ground / To a life consumed by slow decay” work in the way another singer might not have.

I am a big, big fan of this song. I hope you can keep up this success, because it’s hard to start a roulette much better than this.

Score: 10 out of 10

Standings:
Indiscipline: 10
Evermind: 9
romdrums: 9
Elite: 9
ShadowNinja 2.0: 9
kingshmegland: 8.5
Lethean: 8
Puppies_On_Acid: 8
Stadler: 8
OpenYourEyes311: 8
lonestar: 7.5
Parama: 7.5
TAC: 7
Nekov: 6.5
Kattelox: 6
Aefenwelg: 6
Sacul: 6
Train of Naught: 5.5
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. The Comeback Kid (R1 Results Now!)
« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2018, 09:34:22 PM »
Nice!! Glad you liked the song!!  I'll work on a new song tomorrow.   I have a few ideas.