Poll

What album do you like better?

The Whirlwind by Transatlantic
The Similitude of a Dream by Neal Morse Band

Voting closes: August 25, 2029, 01:27:29 PM

Author Topic: The Whirlwind vs The Similitude of a Dream  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Whirlwind vs The Similitude of a Dream
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2023, 07:17:04 AM »
I prefer Similitude. The Whirlwind is good, but I prefer the remaining Transatlantic albums. However, Similitude might be the best prog album Neal did in the last decade.

You might want to change that sentence, you never know when Eric's wife might be watching :rollin
:lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2023, 07:51:46 AM »
Whirlwind gets my vote, but it's very close. I HAD tHA, Whirlwind, and Similitude 1-2-3 when Kev did the Neal Morse countdown
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2023, 09:43:45 AM »
The Whirlwind.  The "Rose Colored Glasses..." part makes me cry every single time.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2023, 11:12:11 AM »
Wow, the vote has totally changed. I believe Eric's wife is in full campaign mode.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2023, 11:49:34 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2023, 12:05:44 PM »
I've heard Similitude before but never The Whirlwind. Listening to the live version now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2023, 01:11:40 PM »
Wow, the vote has totally changed. I believe Eric's wife is in full campaign mode.
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2023, 04:34:09 PM »
So.....after a spin of both of these today.....both Live versions....not only is my vote still strongly in the Similitude camp.....it's not nearly as close as I first had thought. The live version of SOAD blows the Live version of The Whirlwind out of the water. By a long shot. Every aspect of SOAD is superior in that Live format. Vocals, musicianship....energy.....The Whirlwind is good and was fun....but the performance of SOAD takes the prize.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline HOF

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2023, 05:01:42 PM »
I don’t get the impression that TA are a particularly strong live band from the bits I’ve seen/heard. Live versions are kind of an odd way to judge an album though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2023, 05:27:55 PM »
I don’t get the impression that TA are a particularly strong live band from the bits I’ve seen/heard. Live versions are kind of an odd way to judge an album though.

That's a negative sir.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2023, 05:44:09 PM »
So.....after a spin of both of these today.....both Live versions....not only is my vote still strongly in the Similitude camp.....it's not nearly as close as I first had thought. The live version of SOAD blows the Live version of The Whirlwind out of the water. By a long shot. Every aspect of SOAD is superior in that Live format. Vocals, musicianship....energy.....The Whirlwind is good and was fun....but the performance of SOAD takes the prize.

I think it is much closer than you do now, but I still like your conclusion.  :tup :tup

That's a negative sir.

Yep, I only saw TA twice (back to back nights!), but they were tremendous both nights.  I do agree with HOF that live versions are usually not the best way to judge/compare studio albums, however.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2023, 06:01:24 PM »
Yeah, I agree that (1) they are fantastic live, and (2) live renditions are not the best ways to judge/compare studio albums.  And from what I recall (it's been awhile since I listened), I think TA suffers more than NMB for transfer of studio material to live, in my opinion.  Maybe not in person when you are there soaking it all in.  But listening to a CD or watching a DVD, there's no comparison.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline HOF

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2023, 09:11:47 PM »
Yeah, I’m sure it’s different when you’re there in person. Just saying the live recordings I’ve seen and heard don’t live up to the studio versions.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2023, 02:29:35 AM »
I think both live versions of The Whirlwind are fantastic personally, filled with substantially more emotion than on the studio recording. Neal has this incredible way of performing like it's the first time he's ever emotionally considered the lyrics and him consistently fighting back tears on Rose Coloured Glasses will always give it those versions an edge.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2023, 10:15:32 AM »
Yeah, I agree that (1) they are fantastic live, and (2) live renditions are not the best ways to judge/compare studio albums.  And from what I recall (it's been awhile since I listened), I think TA suffers more than NMB for transfer of studio material to live, in my opinion.  Maybe not in person when you are there soaking it all in.  But listening to a CD or watching a DVD, there's no comparison.

I used the Live to compare because....all things being equal...sonically, both studio albums are incredible to listen to.

TNMB in my opinion just 'brings it' more Live than the TA lineup did/does. The improv and deviation from studio that TA implemented in their live renditions just wasn't as compelling to me as the live rendition of SOAD. I think Eric is the gamechanger there. Roine is certainly talented and he's no slouch but his demeanor and laid back style just can't compete with the zest that Eric brings to the Live renditions. Not to mention he (Roine) deviates way too much whereas Eric nails everything he does and it's enhanced in that live section.

It's splitting hairs because they're both awesome live concerts....but....the point of the thread is to choose and for me SOAD is superior in every aspect, studio or live.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2023, 10:17:12 AM »
I’m not a huge fan of System Of A Down, but hey, to each their own.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2023, 10:22:57 AM »

I used the Live to compare because....all things being equal...sonically, both studio albums are incredible to listen to.

TNMB in my opinion just 'brings it' more Live than the TA lineup did/does. The improv and deviation from studio that TA implemented in their live renditions just wasn't as compelling to me as the live rendition of SOAD. I think Eric is the gamechanger there. Roine is certainly talented and he's no slouch but his demeanor and laid back style just can't compete with the zest that Eric brings to the Live renditions. Not to mention he (Roine) deviates way too much whereas Eric nails everything he does and it's enhanced in that live section.

It's splitting hairs because they're both awesome live concerts....but....the point of the thread is to choose and for me SOAD is superior in every aspect, studio or live.

I don't disagree with 90% of your post.  And +1 for Roine, both in terms of A+ talent level AND a demeanor that makes it feel like he is phoning it in live.  But as to the bolded, no, the point of the thread is the best album, not the best live performance.  Kiss your wife and kids goodbye, because the poll police will be knocking at your door shortly.

I’m not a huge fan of System Of A Down, but hey, to each their own.

I get the almost irresistible urge to pluck the low hanging fruit, but sometimes you just need to let it rot on the vine.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2023, 10:44:50 AM »
Couldn’t help it, I never realized till now they had the same initials.  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2023, 10:51:06 AM »
It's funny because he chose to abbreviate The Neal Morse Band as TNMB, even though they are usually just abbreviated as NMB (both on actual albums and on social media), but left out the "T" in TSOAD for its "The".

But yeah, I prefer The Whirlwind to System Of A Down too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2023, 11:52:37 AM »
It's funny because he chose to abbreviate The Neal Morse Band as TNMB, even though they are usually just abbreviated as NMB (both on actual albums and on social media), but left out the "T" in TSOAD for its "The".

I don't know why I do the things I do. Sometimes you just gotta randomly abbreviate AND leave out letters when you do so....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2023, 01:13:27 PM »

See, this is why you should have gone to Morsefest with us last year.  The tune you would be singing might be a bit different.  :coolio :coolio

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2023, 02:39:57 PM »

I don't know why I do the things I do. Sometimes you just gotta randomly abbreviate AND leave out letters when you do so....

You're good, I just thought it was funny after the SOAD joke was made.  :lol I've just also rarely seen people abbreviate it as TNMB when it's usually accepted as just NMB - it's like ELP without the "and" or "&" because ELAP just looks and sounds weird when said aloud.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2023, 02:12:27 PM »
Late to the party but I just voted Similitude.  Both are incredible 5 star albums for me, but i find myself coming back to Similitude far more frequently in recent years.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2023, 08:48:15 AM »
Finally listened to The Whirlwind for the first time and voted Similitude. Form the limited NM material I've heard I always thought I&D was his best but given the choices Similitude is better.