Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 513452 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1750 on: September 28, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if MP is also a bit annoyed by the forums' easy acceptance of it and that (at least here) the majority sees it as a positive development.

rumborak

Of course you wouldn't be surprised, he has stated it directly.

Has he? I mean, I know that his Twitter posts have somewhat alluded to the easy acceptance issue, but I haven't heard anything about him complaining that people see this as a positive development.

rumborak

I find that really annoying btw.  He's complaining because DT fans aren't broken up enough about him leaving?  Sheesh.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1751 on: September 28, 2010, 08:21:18 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if MP is also a bit annoyed by the forums' easy acceptance of it and that (at least here) the majority sees it as a positive development.

rumborak

Of course you wouldn't be surprised, he has stated it directly.

Has he? I mean, I know that his Twitter posts have somewhat alluded to the easy acceptance issue, but I haven't heard anything about him complaining that people see this as a positive development.

rumborak

I find that really annoying btw.  He's complaining because DT fans aren't broken up enough about him leaving?  Sheesh.

I don't see how people fail to see this is a natural human reaction. If you pour your heart and soul into something for 25 years and then people don't care when you leave and are even somewhat excited about it of course you're going to be upset, it's only human. I know it's a poor analogy but if you left DTF and tomorrow we threw a party to celebrate I think you'd be hurt too.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1752 on: September 28, 2010, 08:27:45 AM »
Changes are part of life.  You deal with them, you move on.

Regardless of whose "fault" it is and the circumstances that brought it about, he is obviously taking it pretty hard, and expects his fans to also be crushed by this.  Many are, but it seems he's bummed that so many have already moved on, and so quickly.  But most of us don't live or die because of some band, or their drummer.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1753 on: September 28, 2010, 09:27:13 AM »
Mike shouldn't take it personally. The fact is, a faction of fans feel isolated by Dream Theater's most recent output. They naturally blame Mike, because he's one that goes out of his way the most to represent Dream Theater to the fans. Now Mike's leaving. Of course they're going to be excited about it.

I love Mike, and don't feel isolated by the last two records. But I've been trying to be optimisitc. I can see how the band might benefit from a fresh perspective.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1754 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
I don't see how people fail to see this is a natural human reaction. If you pour your heart and soul into something for 25 years and then people don't care when you leave and are even somewhat excited about it of course you're going to be upset, it's only human. I know it's a poor analogy but if you left DTF and tomorrow we threw a party to celebrate I think you'd be hurt too.

But how long did he expect this grief period to last? It's been three weeks and for most people the news has come and they've chosen to embrace it however they wanted and have accepted it. He didn't die or anything and there are four other capable members of the band. From what I'm gathering many people's interest in seeing what the band can release now that they're pretty much forced to prove they can handle themselves without a founding member is greater than any sadness they have had or might still have for Mike leaving.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1755 on: September 28, 2010, 11:06:15 AM »
Haven't seen anyone post this, yet... JOHN MYUNG on MP leaving.

Everybody is still a little shocked over Mike Portnoy's decision to leave the band. What are your thoughts? Did you see this coming? Do you wish some sort of compromise could have been worked out?

"I can't say I saw it coming. And of course, nobody likes conflict. Dream Theater works best as a creative unit, and it's not going to be easy to find a replacement and have somebody we can really bond with.

"I'd say the general band vibe is positive. We're looking for the right guy, and I'm sure we'll find that person."

More so than any other member, you're bound to be impacted by a new drummer - after all, the rhythm section is the bedrock of a group. Are you excited to play with somebody new?

"I'd say we're all impacted, because we all interact with the rhythms. So this isn't going to affect me more than anybody else, really. Creatively, the Dream Theater process has always been extremely collaborative - there's always been plenty of input from everybody - so when working with somebody new, we're going to have to look for those common ground points that we have. A new member will be influential, no doubt. Hopefully, new directions will open up. I think it can be cool."

It has been suggested that Mike may change his mind in a year or so, that he might want to rejoin. If so, would you welcome him back with open arms, or do you see this as a necessary, clean break?

"Anything is possible. But right now, the band is focused on finding a new member to get in the studio with. We want to make a great record that we're happy with and have a great next tour. That's what we do, and that's what we're looking at."

Full interview here... https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/john-myung-on-being-named-greatest-bassist-of-all-time-this-is-very-heavy-280465

"There's always been plenty of input from everybody." There should really be more interviews with JM. He's a satisfied man. Loves his job.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1756 on: September 28, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »
Hopefully JM will do more interviews in the future. It's nice to read his thoughts!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1757 on: September 28, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »
Wow, thanks for that, Rob! Always great to hear what JM has to say, especially about this whole situation.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1758 on: September 28, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »
I really enjoyed reading that interview, and it shows what a down-to-earth guy JM actually is. Also, I find it very nice that he still loves listening to his early influences and seeing them in concert.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1759 on: September 28, 2010, 11:13:31 AM »
I would be extremely weary thinking about joining DT, only for Mike to realise he has made a terrible mistake (which is definitely the case) to then be allowed back into the band. Extremely weary.

I think it's awesome how DT have decided to move on against Mike's wishes. But whether or not they can remain as a unit without him is yet to be determined.

One thing is for sure. I don't have to listen to his growls anymore. That can only be a positive thing.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1760 on: September 28, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
I give that interview 4 thumbs up :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1761 on: September 28, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »

But how long did he expect this grief period to last? It's been three weeks and for most people the news has come and they've chosen to embrace it however they wanted and have accepted it. He didn't die or anything and there are four other capable members of the band. From what I'm gathering many people's interest in seeing what the band can release now that they're pretty much forced to prove they can handle themselves without a founding member is greater than any sadness they have had or might still have for Mike leaving.

You also have to consider that most fans are DT fans first and foremost, as opposed to being a Portnoy fan first, so most didn't want to see the band take the hiatus that Portnoy was wanting the band to take. 

In other words, had Portnoy left for a different reason, one that didn't include him wanting to take a break, the reaction from a lot of fans might have been different, but given the way it went down, a lot of fans are simply like, "It sucks that he is gone, but we want new music from the band ASAP, so bring on the new drummer and let's get it on!"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1762 on: September 28, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »
I would be extremely weary thinking about joining DT, only for Mike to realise he has made a terrible mistake (which is definitely the case) to then be allowed back into the band. Extremely weary.

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but "weary" doesn't mean what you probably think it means.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1763 on: September 28, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
Wow, cool to hear JMX's thoughts.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1764 on: September 28, 2010, 12:44:19 PM »

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but "weary" doesn't mean what you probably think it means.

I think he means "inconceivable".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1765 on: September 28, 2010, 12:49:23 PM »
:lol

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1766 on: September 28, 2010, 12:54:26 PM »

I think he means "inconceivable".

rumborak

[ignoring reference]I think he means "wary."[/ignoring reference]

(I know we'd probably all already figured that out. I just felt like it might've needed saying. Then again maybe I should just stop being such a hectoring busybody.)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1767 on: September 28, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »

:lol  I'm guessing he means "wary" but I'm more concerned that he believes that Mike has definitely made a "terrible mistake".

Ninja'd by robwebster, but whatever

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1768 on: September 28, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »
Rob, thanks for the link.
I think that man needs to write some lyrics. Maybe JR can write some music and James can sing JM's answers!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1769 on: September 28, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »
"Music is about life; it's about putting your living into your music. So first, one must live."

I think I'm in love.  But damn, Asians are so ugly.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #1770 on: September 28, 2010, 01:14:18 PM »
Wow, cool to hear JMX's thoughts.
I give that interview 4 thumbs up :tup :tup :tup :tup
JM is a humble man. Great interview!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1771 on: September 28, 2010, 01:49:53 PM »
"Music is about life; it's about putting your living into your music. So first, one must live."

He already wrote a song about learning to live

:neverusethis: :splodetard: :neverusethis: :splodetard: :neverusethis: :splodetard:

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1772 on: September 28, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »
Wow, JMX surely knows what to talk when he does an interview. :tup

Also in replacement of Mike's growls, DT will now have Auto-tuned Petrucci to do the backing vocals :P

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1773 on: September 28, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »
But damn, Asians are so ugly.

uncalled for, mr orbert.
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1774 on: September 28, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »
But damn, Asians are so ugly.

uncalled for, mr orbert.

You know Orbert is Asian, right? :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1775 on: September 28, 2010, 02:55:10 PM »
jfk's voice: nevertheless. :)
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1776 on: September 28, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about all the new folks around here, especially since MP's big announcement.

I suppose it's offensive either way.  Originally I had something like "I love JM and want to have his babies, but he's so ugly" but that's so cliché.  So is joke racism, though.  I suck.   :P

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #1777 on: September 28, 2010, 05:49:03 PM »
So far, the other guys have been very positive about MP's departure, sort of. They're all sad but express optimism at the same time. True feelings or just good PR?
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: September 28, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »
Mike's latest tweet is a prime example of why he's sucked at handling his departure around the fans.

Basically, paraphasing here, he posts a link to a video and says "ignore the fuckwad comments."

If he hadn't failed at linking properly, guess what I would have looked at first?

I know Mike's always described himself as a control freak, but he's gotta understand the internet can't be controlled.

Offline TL

« Reply #1779 on: September 28, 2010, 06:22:12 PM »
You also have to consider that most fans are DT fans first and foremost, as opposed to being a Portnoy fan first
This. Obviously it's sad to see him go, but we're DT fans. Obviously we're glad that our favorite band is going to keep going, and we're going to look for the silver lining. It would have been true with pretty much any major change to the band.
The overly negative comments are uncalled for, but someone really needs to tell him that calling internet trolls 'fuckwits' isn't really the best way to get them to stop.

On another note, that's a great interview with JMX. Always interesting to get his perspective.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1780 on: September 28, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
Awesome interview.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1781 on: September 28, 2010, 07:21:27 PM »

:lol  I'm guessing he means "wary" but I'm more concerned that he believes that Mike has definitely made a "terrible mistake".

Yes, wary. I was very tired before lol!

As for his terrible mistake, well, how can you deny that being a DT fan? He has left a very well respected band, in their later years, after 10 albums and 25 years........to join Avenged Sevenfold. Sure, we can debate whether that is the exact scenario all day long. But that's how it looks. And that's where he finds himself now. That's how the average DT fan will see it.

Even if I wasn't a DT fan, I would call that a mistake.

I mean, let's be serious, he has completely destroyed what credibility he once had by upsetting the fans like this. People have every right to be upset, confused, angry. Mike should learn to deal with these things. Would I call him a sellout? Nah, I don't think so. He's a human being who has made a decision. And in my honest opinion - it's the wrong one. He will feel the gravity of his decision soon enough. Mark my words on that. That's if he's not feeling it right now, which some of his recent comments might illustrate.

If DT's 11th album is simply mindblowing - there might be some bad blood and bitter comments being formed. And I hope this isn't the case. Because I do think Mike has a massive ago.

I personally don't hold any grudges. DT can and will be better off without Portnoy. So it's win-win as far as i'm concerned.

But i'd like to hear why you, yourself, have quoted me on this and obviously see things different. I can't get my head around a fellow DT fan thinking he's not made a mistake. So i'd love ot hear your opinion.

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1782 on: September 28, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »
:splodetard: I HATE THAT SMILEY lol.

I always stare at it for 30 seconds and wait for it to explode before scrolling down.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1783 on: September 28, 2010, 08:32:09 PM »
I was reading Lifting Shadows today. The chapter about Train of Thought first paragaph of the chapter. It talks about how the band wanted to take a break, but they needed to keep a steady income. Anyone else read that in the book and just find it interesting concerning what's happened now. Not necessarily money concerns though, just the band wanting to take a break.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1784 on: September 28, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
I was reading Lifting Shadows today. The chapter about Train of Thought first paragaph of the chapter. It talks about how the band wanted to take a break, but they needed to keep a steady income. Anyone else read that in the book and just find it interesting concerning what's happened now. Not necessarily money concerns though, just the band wanting to take a break.

I don't have the book... at what point did they want to take a break? After the World Tourbulence tour? Because it seems they only took 4 months off before heading into the studio to start writing TOT. If that was the case, it seems like they'll be doing the same thing again, if not a bit longer (well, end of July to the middle of January - a little over 5 months - seems about average to me between the end of a tour and the start of new recording sessions).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!