Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705267 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Queensryche
« Reply #875 on: January 10, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »
The duet with his daughter brought a tear to my eye when I first heard it- in a good way, not a Dedicated To chaos way! I really felt it, got the message it was meant to portray, and that's not something that happens to me often.

I agree.  However, although I understand what they were going for, they could have and should have gotten a better child vocalist.  After the initial novelty wore off, rather than having the powerful emotional impact the song should have, I am simply distracted by how bad Emily's (and Geoff's, for that matter) vocals are.

i've not listened to it enough for that to happen I guess, and I found the fact that Emily's voice wasn't "professional"  made the impact more real. And Geoff has screwed his voice, and for that I lost alot of respect for him.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #876 on: January 11, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
Eh, that song with his daughter was horrible. It was completely contrived. It wasn't believable at all to me. Particularly seeing them do it live.

i also think a child singer (who is a real singer) should have sang the part. Honestly, the contrived part of that tune was that tate was trying to get Silent Lucidity pt. 2 to my ears.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #877 on: March 18, 2012, 10:48:20 PM »
Since we're on a bit of a nostalgia trip, I was watching this the other day and I literally felt pain in my heart that this is lost forever. The music, the performance, the atmosphere... what happened to these guys and how is beyond me.

Please do not post song links from illegitimate sources.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #878 on: March 19, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »
I don't even remember what was posted.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #879 on: March 19, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
I don't even remember what was posted.

That's alright, it was originally missed but recently reported, just know in the future to link from official band and labels.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ruba

« Reply #880 on: March 20, 2012, 01:59:49 AM »
np. Promised Land.

Awesome! Great!

How come album containing this great song (and a few others) have sold over million copies? And this is prog rock. Differs so much of what's popular these days.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #881 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
np. Promised Land.

Awesome! Great!

How come album containing this great song (and a few others) have sold over million copies? And this is prog rock. Differs so much of what's popular these days.

??? ???

If you are asking how an album like this sold over a million copies (your wording is rather confusing), I think it probably did well sales-wise because of Empire, which was hugely popular and had a handful of very successful mainstream rock hits.  Promised Land is all kinds of awesome, but while loved by the hardcore fanbase, it didn't connect with the casual fan nearly as well as the two previous albums.  I probably put myself in the middle of those two categories; I was never a major hardcore fan, but I was way more than a casual fan.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #882 on: March 21, 2012, 04:17:47 AM »
Yes, Empire was popular, but it is much easier album. But the sales of Promised Land (and DT charting #1 twice in Finland) keeps me having some trust for good music occasionally hitting the mainstream.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #883 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »
Rising West discussion has been moved to this thread:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=32528.0
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Queensryche - Geoff Tate is out; Todd La Torre is in (p. 26)
« Reply #884 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »
I used the band index thread to find the QR thread, and this is the one that came up.  Seems old, but I couldn't find the newer thread using the search function for some reason.  Anyway, Ray Alder from Fates Warning recently commented on QR's Brazil Incident:

Link: https://www.bravewords.com/news/211107

BraveWords: Before, you mentioned the tour Fates Warning did with Queensr˙che and Dream Theater. Could you see trouble brewing between Geoff Tate and the other members of Queensr˙che?

Ray Alder: "I didn't really see it coming; we played with them in Sao Paulo, when the whole thing went down. It was crazy, it was really insane. I mean, literally, there was security on stage and the promoters were freaking out. And everything went on that night and then the band left. I was hanging out with Geoff later, and we went to a bar. It was just the funniest thing - Geoff and I sat there…and talked about scotch. We didn't talk about what the hell just happened! It was the weirdest thing, I don't know why it came up. But no, I did not see that coming. But I think Queensr˙che is Queensr˙che - it's not Geoff Tate. Unfortunately, it just didn't work out, and they went their own ways. I like the new Queensr˙che album."
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: October 29, 2013, 05:15:23 AM »
It's an absolute fucking disgrace.  :facepalm:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #888 on: October 29, 2013, 05:22:28 AM »
:trainwreck:

There's 3 minutes of my life I won't get back.

Was that Billy Gibbons on rhythm guitar?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #889 on: October 29, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #890 on: October 29, 2013, 08:24:08 AM »
:trainwreck:

There's 3 minutes of my life I won't get back.

Was that Billy Gibbons on rhythm guitar?

Please, that's an insult to Billy Gibbons! :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Polarbear

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #892 on: October 29, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »
 :|

So, uh... court case concludes next month, eh? From what I recall?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: October 29, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »
Court case got pushed back to January.  This performance is just tripe.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #894 on: October 29, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFYD3JmKk6M&feature=player_embedded

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Wow.  It is still unbelievable what an awful singer Tate has allowed himself to become.  And he is clearly totally clueless about that fact.

Offline jsem

« Reply #895 on: October 29, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

That performance is horrendous.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #896 on: October 29, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »
Court case got pushed back to January.  This performance is just tripe.

Nooooooooo! D:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: October 29, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
I still think myself, Jammindude, LaichDT, and any other Seattle members should have a meetup at the courthouse when this case finally happens.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #898 on: October 29, 2013, 11:31:51 AM »
It's time like these that I'm grateful James is very mindful of his voice, takes care of it, and practices/exercises regularly. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: October 29, 2013, 12:00:32 PM »
It's time like these that I'm grateful James is very mindful of his voice, takes care of it, and practices/exercises regularly.

I couldn't agree more!   :tup
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: October 30, 2013, 04:38:26 AM »
I seriously can't get over the backing vocals.  Check I Don't Believe in Love if you haven't already.

Also, Glen Drover is still a smart man.  But if he were in teh band, he would have made this band somewhat listenable, and would have at least played the songs correctly.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #901 on: October 30, 2013, 05:13:17 AM »

Oh good grief. You'd think the Queensryche Cabaret was the lowest moment in their career, but seeing this amateur hour lot masquerading as Queensryche is possibly worse.

Tate sounds in pain any time he goes past middle-C and has forgotten how to sing softly without producing the sound entirely from his nasal cavaty. The keyboard player is just cheerleading (that intro to Best I Can - just lol), the second guitarist actually conspires to make Kelly Gray's hamfisted guitar playing not seem all that bad, Rudy Sarzo seems to be trapped in 1985 and manages to make a mess of the intro to Jet City Woman, the backing vocals downright hurt (and what's with the inability to pronounce "I" in the chorus of Lucidity???!?) and there's so many fuck-ups you'd have to assume they've never played together before.

Abysmal.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: October 30, 2013, 05:28:20 AM »

Oh good grief. You'd think the Queensryche Cabaret was the lowest moment in their career, but seeing this amateur hour lot masquerading as Queensryche is possibly worse.

Tate sounds in pain any time he goes past middle-C and has forgotten how to sing softly without producing the sound entirely from his nasal cavaty. The keyboard player is just cheerleading (that intro to Best I Can - just lol), the second guitarist actually conspires to make Kelly Gray's hamfisted guitar playing not seem all that bad, Rudy Sarzo seems to be trapped in 1985 and manages to make a mess of the intro to Jet City Woman, the backing vocals downright hurt (and what's with the inability to pronounce "I" in the chorus of Lucidity???!?) and there's so many fuck-ups you'd have to assume they've never played together before.

Abysmal.

The most shocking part of everything you mention is that it reveals you watched/listened to more than 3 minutes of this.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #903 on: October 30, 2013, 06:30:38 AM »
I still think myself, Jammindude, LaichDT, and any other Seattle members should have a meetup at the courthouse when this case finally happens.

It might be interesting.  I'm sure it would be packed to the gills.   Depending on the day and how early I could get there....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #904 on: October 30, 2013, 06:32:28 AM »
Aren't these guys fairly reputable musicians? If I was asked to be in a band that is ripping off another bands name I would say no. It's not like Tate was wronged in anyway, he was no longer meeting the rest of the bands standards and was let go. Now he's intentionally trying to cause shit by using the same name. Also I think keeping the name Queensryche is the only way he can cling to any sort of fame.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: October 30, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »
Aren't these guys fairly reputable musicians? If I was asked to be in a band that is ripping off another bands name I would say no. It's not like Tate was wronged in anyway, he was no longer meeting the rest of the bands standards and was let go. Now he's intentionally trying to cause shit by using the same name. Also I think keeping the name Queensryche is the only way he can cling to any sort of fame.

Exactly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #906 on: October 30, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
I seriously can't get over the backing vocals.  Check I Don't Believe in Love if you haven't already.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

That seriously might be the worst thing I've ever heard.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: October 30, 2013, 07:20:22 AM »

Time stamp please.  I'm not going to subject myself to listening this.  I'll do it for the lol's though.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: October 30, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »
Man, the Geoff Tate band sounds like a high school band with one of the member's mid-life crises dad on vocals.