Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 193789 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!
« Reply #3185 on: July 16, 2023, 06:34:32 PM »
I actually debated putting this in the Funny Thread, but I've joined a gym, and I start tomorrow!  :lol

Nice work Tim! Best of luck on your health journey

Thanks Gary.

If I'm not on DTF tomorrow night, It's because I'll be in the hospital. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3186 on: July 16, 2023, 07:36:30 PM »
 :rollin
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3187 on: July 17, 2023, 07:51:34 PM »
I'm alive!!!

So I spent an hour tonight at the gym. Basically did 3x15 of one exercise for each group of muscles. Nothing too heavy but no gimmies either. I really wanted to orient myself on some of the machines and the lay of the room.

I'm tied up the next two days, but I'll be back at it on Thursday with a targeted attack.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3188 on: July 17, 2023, 08:28:54 PM »
I'm alive!!!

So I spent an hour tonight at the gym. Basically did 3x15 of one exercise for each group of muscles. Nothing too heavy but no gimmies either. I really wanted to orient myself on some of the machines and the lay of the room.

I'm tied up the next two days, but I'll be back at it on Thursday with a targeted attack.

Was wondering if you made it through.  :lol

Nice start.  15 reps is a great starting point to ensure you don't go too heavy too quickly but still get some nice stimulation.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3189 on: July 17, 2023, 08:34:48 PM »
Tim, you should hold off on weights and watch Synchronized Swimming with Martin Short and Harry Shearer, swimming might be a better start for you lol.  It's classic (Spinal Tap related)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 11:58:02 PM by jjrock88 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: July 18, 2023, 05:06:06 AM »
 :lol

Tim in some dick togs.  Need a picture of that.

I can help with the swimming side if things too!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3191 on: July 18, 2023, 06:05:34 AM »
You definitely don't need a picture of that!

Tim, you should hold off on weights and watch Synchronized Swimming with Martin Short and Harry Shearer, swimming might be a better start for you lol.  It's classic (Spinal Tap related)
I believe I saw the original broadcast on SNL of that.

My wife was trying to get me into the water aerobics class.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3192 on: July 19, 2023, 04:35:57 AM »
You definitely don't need a picture of that!

I believe I saw the original broadcast on SNL of that.

My wife was trying to get me into the water aerobics class.

:rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3193 on: July 19, 2023, 10:28:34 AM »
Down to 285.  Just bee walking.  I'm going to talk to my doctor about light weights.  With my 2 hiatal hernias, I need to find out if I can.  No surgery for another 12 months the doc is hoping.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3194 on: July 19, 2023, 10:58:53 AM »
Amazing, Joe. Simply amazing. Very proud of - and happy for - you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3195 on: July 19, 2023, 11:09:11 AM »
I'm alive!!!

:tup Waiting for the Thursday update tomorrow! (or whenever it's Thursday for you)

Down to 285.  Just bee walking.  I'm going to talk to my doctor about light weights.  With my 2 hiatal hernias, I need to find out if I can.  No surgery for another 12 months the doc is hoping.

:metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3196 on: July 19, 2023, 02:35:13 PM »

Incredible stuff mate.  Really well done.  Hopefully you can start the weight training.  It will do more wonders for you again.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3197 on: July 19, 2023, 02:36:16 PM »

Excellent work Joe!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3198 on: July 19, 2023, 02:37:49 PM »
I'm alive!!!

:tup Waiting for the Thursday update tomorrow! (or whenever it's Thursday for you)

If we don't see him, he's probably getting grounded and not allowed on DTF by his wife for chatting up the water aerobics ladies!  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3199 on: July 19, 2023, 03:06:00 PM »
Ha!

We are going to the local YMCA, so there are some girls there as a few "gym dudes", but honestly, it's a bunch of regular folk.

I know I said I was tied up yesterday and today, but today is all set, so after I make my son dinner, I'll be hitting the gym!!!!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3200 on: July 19, 2023, 03:07:24 PM »
Question for the weight lifters here - I have a home gym and use adjustable dumbbells.  They are great for the most part except for some exercises that jump up in 5 pound increments per hand can be way too much for me all at once.  I'm looking at those clip on weights that can stair step me up in 2 lb increments instead.  Anyone ever try these?

A set of 4 decent ones is about $100 on Amazon which doesn't break the bank but I'd sure hate to pay for them and find out they suck ass.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3201 on: July 19, 2023, 04:14:19 PM »
Ha!

We are going to the local YMCA, so there are some girls there as a few "gym dudes", but honestly, it's a bunch of regular folk.

I know I said I was tied up yesterday and today, but today is all set, so after I make my son dinner, I'll be hitting the gym!!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3202 on: July 19, 2023, 04:15:14 PM »
Question for the weight lifters here - I have a home gym and use adjustable dumbbells.  They are great for the most part except for some exercises that jump up in 5 pound increments per hand can be way too much for me all at once.  I'm looking at those clip on weights that can stair step me up in 2 lb increments instead.  Anyone ever try these?

A set of 4 decent ones is about $100 on Amazon which doesn't break the bank but I'd sure hate to pay for them and find out they suck ass.

Never used them so can't comment.  Can you go instore somewhere and check them out first?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3203 on: July 19, 2023, 04:26:28 PM »

Never used them so can't comment.  Can you go instore somewhere and check them out first?

Go....into.....a.....store?   :huh:

LoL - yeah, I should do that.  I just wondered if anyone had experience with them. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3204 on: July 19, 2023, 06:22:20 PM »
You still have those over there right?  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3205 on: July 19, 2023, 08:07:50 PM »
You still have those over there right?  :lol

I’m not sure, honestly
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3206 on: July 19, 2023, 10:21:16 PM »

I use bowflex adjustables. They're a touch long,  but you get used to it. They go by 2.5 lbs increments from 5-25, then up by 5 from there. Sometimes i wish there were a 27.5, but beyond that 5lbs is always fine

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3207 on: August 05, 2023, 10:06:57 PM »
Long time no visit to this thread.

Have held steady around 260lbs for quite awhile now. Have just not had the motivation especially on dieting, which is always the key for me.

A little while back had a kick in the ass (specifics of which will be for another thread at some point), but it has finally led to some results, which is huge in hopefully keeping me in check going forward.

On July 24 I weighed in at 261.3. It's been steadily downhill since then and August 5 I weighed in at 253.1.

Exercise helps for sure, every day I'm either doing some work outside, playing hockey, I started playing volleyball again, and even started using my home workout equipment again.

But the crux for me is always dieting. Today I had a bowl of cereal, a cupcake, and my single portion of the usual Hello Fresh for dinner. Honest to god it's likely the least I've had to eat in a day since I lost 70lbs 10+ years ago. Some days are better than others, but every time I think I might want to eat I make sure I just engage myself in some other activity or workout and that's been working great.

Tomorrow will be a big test, my usual Sunday evening ritual is getting high and playing Overwatch with friends. Not sure yet if I'm going to cut out getting high or if I try to climb that massive mountain of NOT losing my self control when I do get high.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3208 on: August 06, 2023, 04:26:40 AM »
That post certainly took a turn I was not expecting.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3209 on: August 06, 2023, 04:41:11 AM »
I got on the stationary bike yesterday.  According to my heart-rate monitor app, it's the first time I've worked out in 53 weeks.   :blush

Weighed in this morning and I'm pleasantly surprised to be under 190lbs.  I wasn't going to be surprised if I was north of 200, but amazingly I've managed my diet well enough to have lost a bout 8lbs in the past 6 months (as I was on the verge of tipping over 200).

I figure if I watch a video of Goggins every morning, that'll get my ass in gear.   :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3210 on: August 06, 2023, 05:19:14 AM »

It is kinda true though, when I get a board game weekend with friends and we're getting drunk a bit it's difficult to not overeat.

Chad - :metal Sounds good, you've got to keep at it.

I'll post my thoughts on my half-marathon race later when I'm less dead. Didn't get my goal, but now there's nowhere to go but up, and it was an interesting experience for sure.

Pic after the race

Participation/finisher medal
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:35:48 AM by Evermind »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3211 on: August 06, 2023, 06:18:28 AM »

I know, right. :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3212 on: August 06, 2023, 09:11:27 AM »
I'll post my thoughts on my half-marathon race later when I'm less dead.

Rambling below as I'm still tired and impressed with the sheer scope of the event.

Man, official races are weird. While I know it's meant to be fun and enjoyable (and it was), all the months I was training for this, the 6th of August was like a looming deadline, or a exam day - and as the day approached, I grew progressively more nervous. It didn't help that since I started training in earnest in March, the work also got more and more intense and peaked in June/July to the point I was sleeping 5-6 hours a day and my thoughts were either about work, or about the upcoming race. :lol

When this last week rolled in, I knew I probably wouldn't reach my goal—in fact, I was in a far better form ~2 months ago I think. But I thought even if I couldn't do 5:40/km, I could safely do 6:00/km, as that was no problem at all during my training runs. But there was this last week at work, then I travelled on Saturday and ended up tossing and turning all night, too nervous to sleep.

I officially ended up with 6:21/km and 2:13:46. :lol

My race plan was to ease into 5:30-5:40 pace after the first 5km and that went alright, but the sun showed up during the second kilometer and over the next 10k the weather grew progressively hotter and humid as the race route pretty much follows along the biggest river in the city. The 11k-16k was going to be a particularly vicious part and I knew it, but by that point I was losing steam and at ~14.5km my brain went "hey dude, you've been abusing us for the past six months so how about we just walk for a few minutes" and I couldn't find any counter-argument. lol

After that I knew I wasn't getting anywhere near good time so I went extra slow and easy to save face and smile during the last 1-1.5km, and to be honest I'm not sure if I could've went any faster without stopping anyway. I was thrilled to cross the finish line anyway, that feeling alone was worth it.

What was great:
- I've never ran in such crowds before. I think there were at least 6k people participating. The feeling of running in the crowd of people who share that particular hobby with you is amazing.
- There was a lot of support along the route, lots of people cheering us up, putting up funny signs (there was a guy with a sign "run faster, the prosecco is cooling in the fridge" and later there was a guy with a sign "hurry up! the prosecco is getting warm" which gave me a good laugh), lots of kids putting their hands for you to high five (side five? how's it called when the hand is to the side instead of up?). I was tired at the end but I tried to make sure I've got all kids who wanted to side five. :lol
- The volunteers were amazing
- I'd like to believe I've gained some experience from this but that remains to be seen :)
- The medal is pretty

What wasn't great:
- My performance :lol
- 25°C and humidity

My next (and I think final) race for this season is another half-marathon in my city in two weeks. I don't think I'll be able to improve much in terms of running, but now that I'm on vacation, I'll just try to approach it well-rested, get enough sleep, and start even slower. While my goal to run a 21.1k in less (fewer?) than two hours remains, I think for now I'll settle on running the full distance without walking/stopping. I think I may start even slower and aim for 6:06/km during the first 10k with the pacemakers depending on how I feel. Unfortunately, this race is also in August and it also follows the biggest river in our city.

Still, that was quite something.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3213 on: August 06, 2023, 09:27:27 AM »
I've never been in good enough shape for a marathon. Good for you man.

I have been jogging in place this week, before work. Upwards of 10 minutes since I am so out of shape. I am trying to set a weekly goal of a dumbbell circuit 2 times a week and jogging in place a 2-3 times a week. Even if it isn't much, it's starting somewhere.

In addition, I am trying to get my portions and when I eat under control. Once I feel that is in a good spot, I will focus on calories.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3214 on: August 06, 2023, 05:12:41 PM »
I got on the stationary bike yesterday.  According to my heart-rate monitor app, it's the first time I've worked out in 53 weeks.   :blush

Weighed in this morning and I'm pleasantly surprised to be under 190lbs.  I wasn't going to be surprised if I was north of 200, but amazingly I've managed my diet well enough to have lost a bout 8lbs in the past 6 months (as I was on the verge of tipping over 200).

I figure if I watch a video of Goggins every morning, that'll get my ass in gear.   :lol

Absolutely, guy is a fucking beast.

Every time I watch one of his videos I instantly think to myself, "Why the fuck aren't I out there running right now!"  Thought that last night even though I had done 15km that morning haha!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3215 on: August 06, 2023, 05:28:06 PM »
I'll post my thoughts on my half-marathon race later when I'm less dead.

Rambling below as I'm still tired and impressed with the sheer scope of the event.

Man, official races are weird. While I know it's meant to be fun and enjoyable (and it was), all the months I was training for this, the 6th of August was like a looming deadline, or a exam day - and as the day approached, I grew progressively more nervous. It didn't help that since I started training in earnest in March, the work also got more and more intense and peaked in June/July to the point I was sleeping 5-6 hours a day and my thoughts were either about work, or about the upcoming race. :lol

When this last week rolled in, I knew I probably wouldn't reach my goal—in fact, I was in a far better form ~2 months ago I think. But I thought even if I couldn't do 5:40/km, I could safely do 6:00/km, as that was no problem at all during my training runs. But there was this last week at work, then I travelled on Saturday and ended up tossing and turning all night, too nervous to sleep.

I officially ended up with 6:21/km and 2:13:46. :lol

My race plan was to ease into 5:30-5:40 pace after the first 5km and that went alright, but the sun showed up during the second kilometer and over the next 10k the weather grew progressively hotter and humid as the race route pretty much follows along the biggest river in the city. The 11k-16k was going to be a particularly vicious part and I knew it, but by that point I was losing steam and at ~14.5km my brain went "hey dude, you've been abusing us for the past six months so how about we just walk for a few minutes" and I couldn't find any counter-argument. lol

After that I knew I wasn't getting anywhere near good time so I went extra slow and easy to save face and smile during the last 1-1.5km, and to be honest I'm not sure if I could've went any faster without stopping anyway. I was thrilled to cross the finish line anyway, that feeling alone was worth it.

What was great:
- I've never ran in such crowds before. I think there were at least 6k people participating. The feeling of running in the crowd of people who share that particular hobby with you is amazing.
- There was a lot of support along the route, lots of people cheering us up, putting up funny signs (there was a guy with a sign "run faster, the prosecco is cooling in the fridge" and later there was a guy with a sign "hurry up! the prosecco is getting warm" which gave me a good laugh), lots of kids putting their hands for you to high five (side five? how's it called when the hand is to the side instead of up?). I was tired at the end but I tried to make sure I've got all kids who wanted to side five. :lol
- The volunteers were amazing
- I'd like to believe I've gained some experience from this but that remains to be seen :)
- The medal is pretty

What wasn't great:
- My performance :lol
- 25°C and humidity

My next (and I think final) race for this season is another half-marathon in my city in two weeks. I don't think I'll be able to improve much in terms of running, but now that I'm on vacation, I'll just try to approach it well-rested, get enough sleep, and start even slower. While my goal to run a 21.1k in less (fewer?) than two hours remains, I think for now I'll settle on running the full distance without walking/stopping. I think I may start even slower and aim for 6:06/km during the first 10k with the pacemakers depending on how I feel. Unfortunately, this race is also in August and it also follows the biggest river in our city.

Still, that was quite something.

Nice read Ruslan.  Looking at your times, I don't think you started all that slow at all.  I'm not sure if you're whole training program is logged in your Strava runs but I was going to suggest some more longer distance runs but you've done a few 15km's over time.  I found the 21km distance got easier the more I pushed between a 15-20km distance or even a bit over.  I need to start pushing to 20-25km but these days a 15km doesn't nearly feel as long as it used to.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3216 on: August 06, 2023, 05:47:42 PM »
That was indeed a nice read Ruslan. Good luck in in 2 weeks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3218 on: August 06, 2023, 05:59:16 PM »
Participation/finisher medal

Who designed this, MC Escher?

Wait....why isn't your ass in the gym?  Hope you're still going.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3219 on: August 06, 2023, 06:16:24 PM »
Wait....why isn't your ass in the gym?  Hope you're still going.

Yup.

Tomorrow starts my 4th week. I've been going Mon-Thurs for an hour. Been doing some free weights, but the machines give me more stability. I can't believe how much strength I've lost in the last ten years. I also have an impingement in my right shoulder that makes stability even more of a challenge.

I saw a doctor on Thursday and she said to add some cardio, so on Friday morning while my wife was in a zumba class, I did the treadmill. (It was her birthday and we both took the day off).

Not an earth shattering pace or distance, but I worked up a sweat for over an hour. Plus, I basically watched an entire Theocracy concert on youtube right on the treadmill's screen..

So I'll be adding some treadmill to my visits this week.