Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 193791 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. liftin' and losin'
« Reply #2135 on: December 30, 2020, 08:19:06 PM »
Much shorter skies, right Schecter?  I saw something like this on Shark Tank a couple months back.

Yeah, they're probably about 15cm shorter than my classic XC. It's basically an ice skating motion but on skis. Full body, too, because i very much take full advantage of my upper body strength. If I'm going to be penalized for my weight, I'm sure as hell going to make the muscles do their share of the work

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2136 on: December 30, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »
I've also been keeping busy these holidays. I'm off work until January, so I've been XC skiing almost daily.

I just swapped out my classic XC skis for some skate skis this week. Super fun, but definitely a tough workout. I punched out 17km today for my first 'skate', and i can already tell I'll be in a world of hurt tomorrow

That sounds like a lot for whatever 'skae skies' are.
It's comparable to running distances and pacing. Skate skis will take me at a clip of about 4:50/km, whereas classic is more around 6min/km for the same effort. Less impact on the body though, so the legs feel way better after 15km of xc in any discipline vs. 15k running. Today felt like the closest thing to running I've experienced since i had to quit running. T'was nice  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2137 on: December 30, 2020, 08:26:52 PM »
My legs hurt just reading this thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: December 30, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »
I've also been keeping busy these holidays. I'm off work until January, so I've been XC skiing almost daily.

I just swapped out my classic XC skis for some skate skis this week. Super fun, but definitely a tough workout. I punched out 17km today for my first 'skate', and i can already tell I'll be in a world of hurt tomorrow

That sounds like a lot for whatever 'skae skies' are.
It's comparable to running distances and pacing. Skate skis will take me at a clip of about 4:50/km, whereas classic is more around 6min/km for the same effort. Less impact on the body though, so the legs feel way better after 15km of xc in any discipline vs. 15k running. Today felt like the closest thing to running I've experienced since i had to quit running. T'was nice  ;D

Why did you quit running mate?  Injury?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2139 on: December 30, 2020, 08:41:40 PM »
My legs hurt just reading this thread.

:lol I'm surprised to even see you in here mate!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2140 on: December 30, 2020, 08:43:22 PM »
If you blink you'll miss me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: December 30, 2020, 09:08:03 PM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: December 30, 2020, 09:19:10 PM »
Tim just randomly shows up in every DTF thread

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2143 on: December 30, 2020, 09:23:36 PM »
Kade, i had to quit running due to injury. Osteoarthritis of the hips. And the plural is not a typo. I was told to cut out all high impact activities (bye bye ball hockey and racing) or face full go replacement surgery at 40

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: December 30, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »
Kade, i had to quit running due to injury. Osteoarthritis of the hips. And the plural is not a typo. I was told to cut out all high impact activities (bye bye ball hockey and racing) or face full go replacement surgery at 40

Dude, with what I'm feeling in my left hip and leg currently, this scares the shit out of me.  By 40 too, that's scary bro.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: December 31, 2020, 01:01:25 AM »
Man, these 2,5 weeks with Covid didn't do any favours to my running. Just went for a 8 km run, first run after I got better (and am allowed to leave my home :lol ) and it was absolutely brutal. Hopefully I'll do better next year.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: December 31, 2020, 05:02:56 AM »
The scenery you have over there mate is breathtaking.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2147 on: December 31, 2020, 05:12:35 AM »
Man, these 2,5 weeks with Covid didn't do any favours to my running. Just went for a 8 km run, first run after I got better (and am allowed to leave my home :lol ) and it was absolutely brutal. Hopefully I'll do better next year.

Damn bro... hopefully it's just because of being 'off' for those 2.5 weeks, and not anything that's going to be a lingering issue as a result of COVID.

Yesterday, I did a couple of 'sore-in-6' routines (bi's and tri's) that Jeff Cavalier/Athlean-X published on YouTube.  6-minute sequence on a single body part that he guarantees will leave you sore.  I've done them before - they're nice routines that are quick.  And his guarantee is accurate.

Gonna do shoulders and chest later today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2148 on: December 31, 2020, 07:17:03 AM »
Chad: not gonna lie, this has crossed my mind as well. I was so out of breath after 4 km, I finished the run on a sheer willpower. Really hope it's just rust after sitting on my ass for 17 days.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2149 on: December 31, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »

Dang man...that's a bummer. I think I must have gotten lucky then. While I've only ran once since I had my bout with Covid.....I've played (4) hockey games. My cardio seems to have recovered pretty well. The larger issue was my legs getting back under me. Now, when I run I'm not a fast paced runner. Road runs I'm around a 9:00-9:30 mile whereas my trail runs are more 10:15-10:30....so, it's not like it's a tough pace to keep cardio wise.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2150 on: December 31, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »
I have three sons....two of which are 13 and 14 years old. They're relatively active but they're at the age where I was when I first started 'lifting' weights. And by that I mean just messing around in gym class with the weights. I wasn't really all that in to it. But, I want to get these guys going with some more physical exercise so we decided to get a small home gym for them for christmas. They have a younger brother, 10, as well that I might look in to what type of workouts are reasonable for someone his age to do. I'm largely a runner and I play hockey.....but I turn 45 next month and was thinking that I should start working out my body in other areas. So, I'll get this thing put together (it's in pieces in our basement right now) and look to develop a workout plan for me and the boys to get accustomed to.

This is what we bought. It was $500....very simple but I'm hoping effective. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2151 on: December 31, 2020, 11:42:28 AM »

Dang man...that's a bummer. I think I must have gotten lucky then. While I've only ran once since I had my bout with Covid.....I've played (4) hockey games. My cardio seems to have recovered pretty well. The larger issue was my legs getting back under me. Now, when I run I'm not a fast paced runner. Road runs I'm around a 9:00-9:30 mile whereas my trail runs are more 10:15-10:30....so, it's not like it's a tough pace to keep cardio wise.

I'm glad you guys are better but Evermind - keep a close eye on things and if you don't improve, you may want to go to the doctor and get a full checkup (if you haven't already done this.

Where exercise is concerned, let me introduce you to Shelly Dose. If you're not used to HIIT exercise then this will kick your ass! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I_haW_2YHc

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2152 on: December 31, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »
Chad: not gonna lie, this has crossed my mind as well. I was so out of breath after 4 km, I finished the run on a sheer willpower. Really hope it's just rust after sitting on my ass for 17 days.

Hmm....17 days between runs is a decent rest mate.  Hopefully it was just a few cobwebs you were getting rid of.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2153 on: December 31, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »

I'm glad you guys are better but Evermind - keep a close eye on things and if you don't improve, you may want to go to the doctor and get a full checkup (if you haven't already done this.

Where exercise is concerned, let me introduce you to Shelly Dose. If you're not used to HIIT exercise then this will kick your ass! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I_haW_2YHc

Copy / paste error - this was the Dogs of 2020 vid I posted in the Dog Thread.   :lol

@ Gary... Good on ya.  That looks like a pretty complete (yet basic/simple) starter system.  Should do the trick.  Do you have any free weights?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2154 on: December 31, 2020, 01:46:53 PM »
Doh!  :facepalm:

Shelly Dose - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEPGujn0-dA

She's a bad ass!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: December 31, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »
Chad. Only free weights I have are dumbbells of varying weights. But I thought like you mentioned, this is a pretty basic starter machine for the kiddos and it’s something I can use as well to kind of get back into it and working muscles I haven’t used in a bit.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2156 on: December 31, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »

She's a bad ass!

Never heard of Tabata.  Nice routine.  Not sure you could really call that 'interval' training though, I didn't see them resting much on that 20s/10s split.  I can do spurts of that, but not 32 minutes of it.  That's cray cray.

Chad. Only free weights I have are dumbbells of varying weights. But I thought like you mentioned, this is a pretty basic starter machine for the kiddos and it’s something I can use as well to kind of get back into it and working muscles I haven’t used in a bit.

Absolutely!  Just make sure you teach the proper form from the outset, and don't kill them too much at the start.  I'm not sure how much 10-14 year olds will appreciate DOMS!  :lol

Me on the other hand, looking forward to it... just did the Sore-in-6 for Legs, Chest, and Shoulders.  I ought to be tingling tomorrow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: December 31, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »

I wouldn't be too worried mate.  I just went for a run this morning.  It's been 3 days since I ran because I'm having problems with my leg/hip.  Now I did 5km at 5:18 per km average pace but I'm wiped.  Regardless of my leg I couldn't believe how gassed I was.  Just do what you can do.  I think 17 days is definitely a long time and some backwards steps would be expected I feel.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2158 on: December 31, 2020, 04:33:50 PM »

She's a bad ass!

Never heard of Tabata.  Nice routine.  Not sure you could really call that 'interval' training though, I didn't see them resting much on that 20s/10s split.  I can do spurts of that, but not 32 minutes of it.  That's cray cray.

The point of Tabata is to do HIIT for so many seconds and then a lower intensity movement. The point is to not stop moving. Everybody's workout routine and goals are different. I need to lose a few pounds and these workouts are perfect for my needs. Just wanted to share.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: December 31, 2020, 05:49:34 PM »

I wouldn't be too worried mate.  I just went for a run this morning.  It's been 3 days since I ran because I'm having problems with my leg/hip.  Now I did 5km at 5:18 per km average pace but I'm wiped.  Regardless of my leg I couldn't believe how gassed I was.  Just do what you can do.  I think 17 days is definitely a long time and some backwards steps would be expected I feel.

Followed this run up with a 3km swim.  Good start to the year.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: January 01, 2021, 06:44:22 AM »

She's a bad ass!

The point of Tabata is to do HIIT for so many seconds and then a lower intensity movement. The point is to not stop moving. Everybody's workout routine and goals are different. I need to lose a few pounds and these workouts are perfect for my needs. Just wanted to share.

Ditto.  Despite doing 2/day workouts 4-5 days a week this month, the scale still tells me I added 4lbs this month.  My 49-year old body like to hoard the calories from alcohol and sweets, that's for sure, because there is 0% chance I had a 450 daily calorie surplus with all the working out I did.  Oh well, time to start paying stricter attention to my nutrition.  I've got 11 months and 19 days to drop 5% body fat to reach my goal of 10% BF before my 50th.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2161 on: January 01, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »
So to the point of processed foods and understanding what your buying at the store along with their effects on the body, check out these two Youtube channels:

Flavcity - Bobby Parrish - he focuses on the chemical ingredients listed on the packaging and tells you what's good and what's bad.

Thomas Delauer - his specialty is on the science of these chemicals and their effects on metabolism, inflammation, hormones and a host of other things.

Good stuff!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: January 01, 2021, 10:01:26 AM »
So to the point of processed foods and understanding what your buying at the store along with their effects on the body, check out these two Youtube channels:

Flavcity - Bobby Parrish - he focuses on the chemical ingredients listed on the packaging and tells you what's good and what's bad.

Thomas Delauer - his specialty is on the science of these chemicals and their effects on metabolism, inflammation, hormones and a host of other things.

Good stuff!

Noted!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2163 on: January 03, 2021, 09:48:28 PM »
5km run yesterday at a flat 5:00 average per km.  I don't know how marathon runners and ultra marathon runners do it, my legs are fucked and I haven't been doing all that much in terms of distances.  Things get so tight I get up with a noticeable limp until I stretch out. 

I had a thought lately of maybe spending the year training and doing an ironman or something like that, to test myself, but I just don't see how my body would get to that level.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: January 04, 2021, 05:58:14 AM »
Started Insanity over the weekend.  Gotta get disciplined on my diet, and shed some of this BF that simply won't go away.  Gonna do fasted steady-state in the mornings on the bike 4-5 days a week, and Insanity + 15-20 minutes of bike or treadmill as my cooldown.  Perhaps throw in the occasional lifting routine to try and hold on to the gains I made over the last 6 months.

Running .... I just don't even bother.  Took the dog for a 90 minute walk yesterday with mrs.jingle, and had to wear my knee brace cuz it was feeling a little wonky.  Then my knees had a dull ache all day long.  Ain't no fucking way my joints could take the impact of running.  Can't even do it at home if I wanted, cuz their is ductwork is right above the treadmill, and it's just low enough that I bang my head against it while running.  Walking is ok, but not running.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: January 04, 2021, 08:21:42 AM »
Good luck to you with Insanity Chad. I’ve done that all the way through three times and after the last time I swore ‘never again’. Although I did order ‘Insanity Max’ but haven’t done the whole cycle. I just do a couple of the workouts here and there. The original Insanity is just a kick in the nuts to your joints.

I played a ton of ice hockey this weekend. Played two hours Friday night then last night in our league I played in all three time slots, 7:45, 9:00 and 10:15. I always hang around after I’m done with my game to see if players are needed and last night it was light in each time slot so ended up playing three games.

Pretty sore this morning.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2166 on: January 04, 2021, 08:49:51 AM »
Good luck to you with Insanity Chad. I’ve done that all the way through three times and after the last time I swore ‘never again’. Although I did order ‘Insanity Max’ but haven’t done the whole cycle. I just do a couple of the workouts here and there. The original Insanity is just a kick in the nuts to your joints.

I don't think I ever finished a full 60 days in the past (I've had the program for many years - probably a year or two after it was first made).  Month 1 isn't so bad; month 2 is a bitch.  Over the last 6 months, I've done a bunch of the month 1 routines as an individual HIIT workout, and found them to be very achievable ("easy" certainly isn't the right word, but they didn't completely kick my ass).  I'm optimistic I'll be able to power my way thru February.

I've got really good flooring now (1" foam tiles throughout the room, plus yoga mats), so I'm not terribly worried about my joints (knock on wood).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: January 04, 2021, 08:52:48 AM »

I don't think I ever finished a full 60 days in the past (I've had the program for many years - probably a year or two after it was first made).  Month 1 isn't so bad; month 2 is a bitch.  Over the last 6 months, I've done a bunch of the month 1 routines as an individual HIIT workout, and found them to be very achievable ("easy" certainly isn't the right word, but they didn't completely kick my ass).  I'm optimistic I'll be able to power my way thru February.

I've got really good flooring now (1" foam tiles throughout the room, plus yoga mats), so I'm not terribly worried about my joints (knock on wood).

I'm tinkering with the notion to do the full Insanity Max program. The idea behind it is that it's only 30 minutes....but you're supposed to go full bore the whole time and see how long it takes you in each routine to 'max out' and have to take a break....with the goal of improving your max out time as you progress.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2168 on: January 04, 2021, 09:33:03 AM »
Any Billy Blanks fans here?? I still have a few of his DVDs but lost one of the bands. I think his workouts rock and are a nice change-up!  :metal

I found these bands and they look like they may be a good replacement so I ordered them yesterday.

https://www.sportsridge.com/products/resistance-bands-home-workout-fitness-exercise-pull-up-workout-tubes-for-billy-s-bootcamp

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: January 04, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
Damn!  $35 for one band!   :omg:  You could get a whole set for less.