Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 431402 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #315 on: August 23, 2011, 06:44:13 AM »
I have some problems with Generations (mostly to do with the Nexus, which I agree creates too many plot-holes to count) but I thought it had terrific performances from all 3 leads (Shatner, Stewart, McDowell) and it was beautifully filmed in my opinion. The original premise of ST was never about showy sci-fi action and SE but was about humanistic stories set against the backdrop of space. In that regard, I think Generations is successful when you consider the emotions and experiences the characters went through (Kirk: death-life-death; Picard losing his nephew and willingly giving up "heaven").

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #316 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:38 AM »
Yes, I thought TNG really missed a McCoy character (apart from Pulaski maybe) for a humanistic angle.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #317 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:15 AM »
I thought Dr. Crusher was an interesting angle, at first.  The idea that she and Capt. Picard had a history had some potential, and obviously the idea was to not make it exactly like the Kirk-McCoy dynamic.  But it quickly became lame and boring.  Dr. Pulaski was a step in the right direction, overall a more interesting character, and I wish she'd stuck around.

I seem to recall that Gates McFadden (Crusher) had an issue with one of the producers or something, so she left the series.  After some investigation and fan outcry, the offending party was canned and she came back.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #318 on: August 23, 2011, 09:54:07 AM »
Crusher wasn't the most interesting character, but I hated Pulaski so much. She should have just stuck to being a blind telepath.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #319 on: August 23, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »
What didn't you like about Dr. Pulaski?  She definitely came across as more abrasive and bitchy, especially after all the warm empathy of Dr. Crusher (which I thought was part of what made her so boring), but that was obviously the idea.  They went a different direction with it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #320 on: August 23, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »
What didn't you like about Dr. Pulaski?  She definitely came across as more abrasive and bitchy, especially after all the warm empathy of Dr. Crusher (which I thought was part of what made her so boring), but that was obviously the idea.  They went a different direction with it.

Well it's been a while since I've seen most of season 2 (although I've seen a couple recently), but I just found she took too much joy in being a bitch for the sake of it, without having enough of a relationship with the characters to get away with it. I think that was one of the big differences to me between Pulaski and McCoy, who they were obviously trying to emulate.

I agree that Crusher's kindness made her a bit boring and perhaps pointless, but she was inoffensive enough, so I never had a problem with her.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #321 on: August 23, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »
The Pulaski/Data dynamic made her a huge improvement over Crusher. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2011, 11:02:29 AM »
Yeah, I can see how Dr. Pulaski's no-nonsense bedside manner wouldn't work for a lot of people.  It didn't work for me at first, either.  Good point about how she hadn't really "earned" it -- I can imagine most patients leaving sick bay thinking "Damn, the new doctor's a real bitch."

But I liked her dynamic with Data, as El Barto pointed out.  He had to earn her respect, and he did.  (The question of whether or not he should have had to earn it in the first place is another matter.)  I specifically remember the issue of how his name is pronounced.

And she did the Klingon Tea Ceremony with Worf.  Yeah, it's poison; let's do it.  She was a ballsy lady.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »
I have some problems with Generations (mostly to do with the Nexus, which I agree creates too many plot-holes to count) but I thought it had terrific performances from all 3 leads (Shatner, Stewart, McDowell) and it was beautifully filmed in my opinion. The original premise of ST was never about showy sci-fi action and SE but was about humanistic stories set against the backdrop of space. In that regard, I think Generations is successful when you consider the emotions and experiences the characters went through (Kirk: death-life-death; Picard losing his nephew and willingly giving up "heaven").

:heart Generations. I just love how it "feels". The gorgeous music and the visuals and the epic scale of it all.

The nexus was awesome. i actually wished Soran got to stay in the Nexus as he only wanted to get back there.  :-[

I imagined when Kirk and Picard came back to Veridian III, it was an alternate version and Soran was still in the nexus.

Of course you could argue that Picard and Kirk are still in the nexus and it just showed Picard what he wanted to see :P

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »
I liked Pulaski, brought some much needed spice to the cast, even if the character initially comes off as a McCoy copy. Wish they had stayed with her actually.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2011, 11:44:51 PM »
Did they explain in one episdoe why she'd left. ISTR Wesley narrating it?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2011, 12:18:56 AM »
Did they explain in one episdoe why she'd left. ISTR Wesley narrating it?

Crusher? She left to teach.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #327 on: August 24, 2011, 03:11:17 AM »
No - Pulaski

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2011, 08:00:44 AM »
Dr. Crusher left the Enterprise to take a position at Star Fleet Medical.  When the behind-the-scenes crap was settled and Gates McFadden decided to come back, they retconned and mentioned that Dr. Crusher's sabbatical (or temporary assignment or whatever they called it) was ending and she was coming back.  They didn't address it specifically, but the idea was that she used her seniority and clout to get her position back, bumping Dr. Pulaski.  This basically echoed what happened behind the scenes.  Gates McFadden came back so they bumped Diana Muldaur.  It was a little easier to do because Diana Muldaur was never added to the regular cast; despite being in the entire season, she was always a "special guest star".

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
According to Memory-Alpha,  it was Muldaur's decision to remain a special guest.  No explanation why.  Maybe she figured all along that this was how it would play out.

In retrospect,  like most people I thought at the time that I didn't like her and preferred Crusher.  Looking back,  I actually liked Pulaski a lot and would have been keen to see Crusher blown out of an airlock. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #330 on: August 24, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
Special guest star is a way to advertise oneself as available for other jobs.  David Ogden Stiers kept that status on The Dead Zone, despite being one of the main characters, for that reason.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #331 on: August 24, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
According to Memory-Alpha,  it was Muldaur's decision to remain a special guest.  No explanation why.  Maybe she figured all along that this was how it would play out.

In retrospect,  like most people I thought at the time that I didn't like her and preferred Crusher.  Looking back,  I actually liked Pulaski a lot and would have been keen to see Crusher blown out of an airlock. 

Better yet, Wesley blown out of an airlock. Seriously, who else couldn't stand him?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: August 24, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »

Better yet, Wesley blown out of an airlock. Seriously, who else couldn't stand him?

I hated Wesley. Picard should have booted his ass off the Enterprise.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #333 on: August 24, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »
The idea of Wesley Crusher probably looked good on paper, at least to some.  It's the future, there's this whiz kid genius on board, the son of an officer and personal friend of the captain.  The problem was the casting.  Wil Wheaton did not have the demeanor to project a likeable geek.  He just came across as a spoiled kid you want to slap multiple times.  I've seen shows where the geek (and there can be only one) is great, everybody likes him, or at least respects him, and I've seen shows where you just want to thrash him soundly.  Wesley falls into the second category.  On the show itself, everybody liked him, which added to the confusion, because almost no fans did.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #334 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:25 PM »
I don't suppose my issue was with Wheaton, and to be fair he was put into a damned awkward situation.  What I disliked was that the Enterprise was some floating cross section of society, with all the families and children on-board.  That's not the Star Trek I want to watch on television.  Quite a stupid concept, frankly, and once they set that as a premise,  it made for 7 seasons of oft-shitty TV.  Wesley was pretty much the embodiment of that problem.  There's a joke that Kirk would have thrown him off the ship,  but in reality,  Kirk would have tossed his mother off the ship the moment McCoy filled out the crewman knocked up form. 
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #335 on: August 24, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
I don't suppose my issue was with Wheaton, and to be fair he was put into a damned awkward situation.  What I disliked was that the Enterprise was some floating cross section of society, with all the families and children on-board.  That's not the Star Trek I want to watch on television.  Quite a stupid concept, frankly, and once they set that as a premise,  it made for 7 seasons of oft-shitty TV.  Wesley was pretty much the embodiment of that problem.  There's a joke that Kirk would have thrown him off the ship,  but in reality,  Kirk would have tossed his mother off the ship the moment McCoy filled out the crewman knocked up form. 

I thought it added a new dynamic to the show. When it was all Starfleet on board, then the captain could see them as dying honorable deaths if worse came to worse. But when there's families on board, then Picard has to be extra considerate about what he does. It just makes every decision he makes more difficult.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #336 on: August 24, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »

I thought it added a new dynamic to the show. When it was all Starfleet on board, then the captain could see them as dying honorable deaths if worse came to worse. But when there's families on board, then Picard has to be extra considerate about what he does. It just makes every decision he makes more difficult.

I don't think Kirk was ever less concerned for the welfare of his crew than Picard was of his.  Furthermore,  Picard would occasionally grow a pair and put all 87,000 of them at extreme risk.  Hell,  he was willing to blow them all up himself on occasion. 
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #337 on: August 24, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
Perhaps, but it's easier for a soldier to demand the lives of other soldiers than it is to demand the lives of civilians.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #338 on: August 24, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
Fuck 'em.  I'm pretty sure they knew the risks. 

Furthermore,  I'd be willing to bet that compartmentalization is pretty high on the list of desirable characteristics for a starship captain.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #339 on: August 24, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
So many times I want to post a thought, and realize it would be much easier to just quote Barto.

Online Adami

« Reply #340 on: August 24, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
Bart, it really just seems that you dislike the entire premise of TNG.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #341 on: August 24, 2011, 03:40:49 PM »
I rather like the premise.  It's the details I can't stand. 

Every season had a handful of good episodes, but for every Sins of the Father, there were four [insert pedantic Troi epsiode]'s.  Most of the crew sucked ass, and all of them, save Data, were fairly meaningless.  Yet easily half of the episodes are centered around one of these silly people. 
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #342 on: August 24, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »
I rather like the premise.  It's the details I can't stand. 

Every season had a handful of good episodes, but for every Sins of the Father, there were four [insert pedantic Troi epsiode]'s.  Most of the crew sucked ass, and all of them, save Data, were fairly meaningless.  Yet easily half of the episodes are centered around one of these silly people. 

Fair enough, I agree that Data rocked, but I guess different strokes and all of that stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #343 on: August 24, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »

He was alright in a few later episodes when he only showed every now and then, but the boy wonder of the early seasons was awful.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #344 on: August 25, 2011, 12:48:19 PM »
Just to say there's a Survivor for ST:TNG https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=26784.0

Re.Wesley - the later episodes I thought were great like the final mission he went on with Picard. Also when he came back from the academy - and when he left the academy. The second one I mentioned - didn't he fall in love with some young lady in the story who later in real life became quite famous?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #345 on: August 25, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
Yeah, Ashley Judd was a guest star in an early episode, and she and Wesley get along very well.  It's hard to summarize what happened to their relationship without giving away a really awesome scene, so let's just say there was a serious, um, physical incompatibility.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #346 on: August 25, 2011, 02:36:26 PM »
What are you talking about?

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #347 on: August 25, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
Yeah, Ashley Judd was a guest star in an early episode, and she and Wesley get along very well.  It's hard to summarize what happened to their relationship without giving away a really awesome scene, so let's just say there was a serious, um, physical incompatibility.

I don't recall that one. I do recall Ashley Judd being hot though.  :biggrin:

Online Adami

« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »

I don't recall that one.

I do.  What an awful episode.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #349 on: August 25, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
What are you talking about?

Wasn't she the one who had a guardian who turned into a beast to protect her, then Ashley herself turned into a beast?