Author Topic: Welcome To BuddyhunterKart! (Roulette v6) - ROUND 1 RESULTS + ROUND 2 ITEMS  (Read 2792 times)

Evermind (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
1st Roulette: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39608.0
2nd Roulette: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43933.0
3rd Roulette: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=48099.0
4th Roulette: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53991
5th Roulette: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56071

---RESULTS SHORTCUTS---

Round 1

---INTRO---

Welcome to BuddyhunterKart! I hope you’re not too sick of gimmick roulettes by now, because we’re going to be doing something a bit crazy by combining two of the greatest games of the modern era: song roulettes, and Mario Kart. What does that mean? Why would I do such a thing? To answer the former question, the rules are actually pretty normal for a song roulette. You submit a single song each round, I rank them based on how much I enjoy them, and you get points accordingly. Hangman and first impressions will still be here, but you won’t get any advantages from them. What sets this roulette apart is the same thing that sets Mario Kart apart from other plain old racing games: items. You’ll get one randomly-chosen item per round, and you can use them in various ways to give yourself an advantage or screw your competitors over… ideally. There’s always the possibility that things won’t go as planned, and while there is some light strategy involved in using your items in an intelligent way, you’ll never be sure which one you’ll get! You’ll need good driving skills (meaning sending good songs) to win above all else, but you’ll also need luck on your side if you want to cross the finish line first, and that’s by design, baby! Let’s get into the finer details…

---PARTICIPANTS---

There will be exactly 12 participants, no more, no less. Since spots are limited, I’m giving priority to two groups of people:

1) If I’ve won one of your roulettes before, you get a free spot, should you choose to take it. Yeah, I’m totally kissing ass here, but these are also players I particularly want in my roulettes because I feel like they’ll send me lots of stuff I’ll like.
     - Sacul
     - Ariich
     - Metro
2) If you’ve never played in any of my roulettes before, you get priority over those who have. Fresh blood for the blood god.

Final Participants
1. Metro
2. Ariich
3. Sacul
4. LithoJazzoSphere
5. lonestar
6. ReaperKK
7. twosuitsluke
8. Crow
9. King Puppies and the Acid Guppies
10. King Postwhore
11. TAC
12. Elite

---CURRENT STANDINGS---

1: King Puppies and the Acid Guppies - 15
2: King Postwhore - 14
3: Crow - 13
4: LithoJazzoSphere -12
5: lonestar -11
6: twosuitsluke - 10
7: Metro - 9
8: ReaperKK - 8
9: Sacul - 7
10: Ariich - 6
11: TAC - 5
12: Elite - 4

---RULES---

- There will be 8 rounds, with light themes. There’s no bonuses for matching the theme particularly well, but if you aggressively ignore it, I’ll ask you to send something else.
- Players will submit one song per round. Spotify links are preferred, and if it’s not on Spotify, send me a .mp3 file or YouTube link.
- The standard length limit for songs is 12:00 or lower.
- Each player can choose one round to send a longer song, up to 24:00 or lower. This is completely optional, and you don’t ever need to send a song that long if you don’t want to. If you do want to send a song longer than twelve minutes, you can do so once, in any round you choose.
- If there’s multiple tracks that form a cohesive piece (i.e. a song split into two parts), they can be submitted together as a single song. There’s no scientific rules here, so I might ask you to re-send if I listen to them and feel like they aren’t cohesive enough.
- Songs are scored with a ranking system. Every song in the given round is ranked from best to worst (objectively), and points are awarded based on their placements. The 1st place song gets 15 points, and the last place song gets 4 points, with 1 point increments between each ranking.
- Submitted artists will be banned for the remainder of the roulette if I enjoy them or find them interesting enough. Any artist that is submitted multiple times will automatically get banned.
- After every round, each player gets a random item. Alongside your song submission, you must inform me (via a private message) if you intend to use the item or not. With certain items, you must specify more information, such as which player you intend to target (see the “Items” section below for more info). You can also choose to keep the item, which means you will retain the item into the next round, and will not be given a new one. No items will be present in the very first round.
- As the sole developer of BuddyhunterKart, I reserve the right to drop balance patches in the middle of the game to tweak the properties or distribution of items if they’re getting too out-of-control. If this happens, patch notes will be provided.

---ROUND STRUCTURE---

If the rules are a bit confusing to you, here’s a breakdown of how each round will go. All you as a player are required to do is to submit your song, then once you receive your item, you inform me how you’re going to use it.

Round 1
1. Everyone submits their songs.
2. Hangman / First Impressions
3. Song results are posted, and points are awarded based on the rankings of the songs. Standings are updated.

Round 2 and Onward
1. Everyone is given an item, chosen at random based on their current standings. These items are public for everyone to see.
2. Everyone must submit their song, and privately message me their item action for the round, choosing to either use the item, or keep them it for the next round.
3. Hangman / First Impressions
4. Comparisons: You'll get to see how your song for this round ranks against all the previous songs you've sent.
5. Song results are posted, and points are awarded based on the rankings of the songs. Standings are updated.
6. Shortly after the song results, the item results are revealed, with points being gained and lowered in a massive storm of chaos. Don’t worry about order of operations here too much; for most items it’s irrelevant, and when it does it’s detailed in the “Items” section below. Standings are updated again, and we proceed to the next round.

---ROUND THEMES---

Round 1: Starting Line
Submit a song that would work well as an album or setlist opener.

Round 2: Hazardous Section
Submit a heavier or more intense song to match the chaos that will begin this round.

Round 3: Straightaway
No theme - submit any kind of song.

Round 4: Boost Section
Submit a song with a lot of energy or a faster tempo.

Round 5: Underwater Section
Submit a slower or more atmospheric song.

Round 6: Straightaway
No theme - submit any kind of song.

Round 7: Glider Section
Submit a song that feels like you’re flying.

Round 8: Finish Line
Submit a song that would work well as an album or setlist closer.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 09:01:00 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Welcome To BuddyhunterKart! (Roulette v6) - LIMITED SIGNUPS
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 07:07:43 PM »
---ITEMS---

This section details the mechanics for each of the items you can get at the start of a round. Each of its use actions are listed and explained, but remember for every item you can also choose to keep it for the next round. If you’re feeling confident, you may be able to smuggle more powerful items closer to the front of the race, where they’ll be even more useful.

Red Shell

The iconic red shell. When thrown, this will home in on a specific player of your choosing and hit them, causing them to lose points if they’re not protected. However, you can only throw at players a certain range ahead of you in the standings. Alternatively, you can use the shell defensively to shield you from attacks from other shells.

Actions
THROW: You must choose a player that is currently ahead of you in the standings, up to three spots. For example, if you’re in 10th place, you can choose between the players in 9th, 8th, and 7th to target. You will then throw the shell at that player, who is then guaranteed to be hit by the shell and lose 0.75 points, unless they use an item to protect themselves. If you are in 1st place, you cannot choose this action.

PROTECT: The shell will shield you from a single Green or Red Shell for this round and negate any points lost from them, if they would have otherwise hit you. This will only work once, so if you get hit by multiple shells, any shells after the first one will still deduct points. Does NOT protect you from any other items.

Green Shell

This works similarly to the Red Shell, but lacks the homing properties, so it’s less reliable. Any player you throw this at has a chance of being hit, but it may also miss. If the shell misses, it may hit somebody else, or even bounce back and hit you, if you’re unlucky!

Actions
THROW: You must choose a player that is ahead of you in the standings, up to three spots. For example, if you’re in 10th place, you can choose between the players in 9th, 8th, and 7th to target. You will then throw the shell at that player, who then has a 50% chance of being hit by the shell and losing 0.75 points, unless they are protected. If the shell misses the player (being blocked does not count), it then has a 50% chance of hitting the player ahead of the player you targeted, if there is one. If it misses again, there’s one last 50% chance it will bounce back and hit you, causing you to lose 0.75 points. If there was no player ahead of the one you targeted to possibly hit, this chance is lowered to 25%. Either way, there’s a 12.5% chance of your own Green Shell hitting you. If you are in 1st place, you cannot choose this action.

PROTECT: The shell will shield you from a single Green or Red Shell for this round and negate any points lost from them, if they would have otherwise hit you. This will only work once, so if you get hit by multiple shells, any shells after the first one will still deduct points. Does NOT protect you from any other items.

Triple Green Shell

It’s like a Green Shell, but there’s three of them! Madness! When you use this item, it’s as if you’re using a regular Green Shell three different times; you can choose to throw all three, defend with all three, or mix and match. If you throw multiple times, you can choose to target different players with each shell, or target the same player multiple times to increase your chances of hitting them.

Actions
THROW: See “Green Shell” above.

PROTECT: See “Green Shell” above.

Banana

Not the most useful item, but it does provide some protection against incoming shells that would have otherwise caused you to lose points.

Actions
PROTECT: The banana will shield you from a single Green or Red Shell for this round and negate any points lost from them, if they would have otherwise hit you. This will only work once, so if you get hit by multiple shells, any shells after the first one will still deduct points. Does NOT protect you from any other items.

Star

Using this item will give you full invincibility for this round, protecting you from all items and preventing you from losing any points from them.

Actions
PROTECT: Gain full invincibility for this round and negate any point losses from items.

Bob-omb

This can be thrown at a player ahead of you similarly to a Green Shell or Red Shell, and after song results are posted, it will detonate and damage both the targeted player and the players ahead and behind them in the standings. Be careful, because that could include you, too! If the risk outweighs the reward too much for you, you can also choose to defuse the bob-omb and get rid of it.

Actions
THROW: You must choose a player that is ahead of you in the standings, up to three spots. For example, if you’re in 10th place, you can choose between the players in 9th, 8th, and 7th to target. After the song results for the round have been posted and the standings have been updated from the song rankings, the bob-omb will explode and remove 0.75 points from the targeted player, the player ahead of them, AND the player behind them. This means that if you are next to the player you targeted in the standings after song results are posted, you will also be caught in the explosion and lose points! The explosion can only be blocked if the player is invincible. If you are in 1st place, you cannot choose this action.

DEFUSE:
The bob-omb will be discarded without removing any points from anyone.

Coin

When used, this gives you a flat 0.2 points to your total score. That’s all it does.

Actions
USE: Get 0.2 points.

Mushroom

When used, this gives you a flat 1 point to your total score. Speed ahead and get a bit closer to the front!

Actions
USE: Get 1 point.

Triple Mushroom

Three mushrooms! This gives you a flat 3 points to your total score when used. Use it to catch up if you’ve fallen behind!

Actions
USE: Get 3 points.

Lightning

This will summon bolts of lighting to strike every player who’s ahead of you in the standings, causing them to lose points!

Actions
USE: Any players ahead of you in the standings after the song results will lose 1 point, unless they are invincible.

Bullet Bill

Transform into a speeding bullet and shoot ahead in the standings! This will give you a lot of points, with the amount varying depending on how far behind you are. This also makes you invincible for the current round!

Actions
USE: This will take the point difference between you and the player four standings ahead of you after the song results and give you that amount of points. For example, if you’re in 12th place with 10 points and the player in 8th place has 17 points, you will get 7 points. If you somehow manage to smuggle this item into the top 5, you’ll be awarded the points difference between you and the player in first place. You will also gain full invincibility for this round and negate any point losses from items.

Boo

This sneaky spirit will steal another player’s item for you! To make things even sneakier, this will appear as a different item to all other players when items are revealed for the round, but you’ll be informed that you got it via a private message from me. You must then tell me which player you want to steal an item from, which you can then immediately use or keep.

Actions
USE: You must choose a player that is ahead of you in the standings, up to three spots. For example, if you’re in 10th place, you can choose between the players in 9th, 8th, and 7th to target. You will then steal that player’s item. When you tell me which player you want to steal from, you must also tell me if you intend to use that item this round, or keep it for later. The player you steal an item from will be left without an item for the current round.

Blue Shell

You know it, you hate it, it’s the pinnacle of game design, it’s the motherfucking Blue Shell. When thrown, this weapon of mass destruction will advance towards the player in first place, and once it reaches them, it will detonate in a massive explosion that can only be blocked by invincibility. Any players between first place and the player who used the item have a chance to be hit, too!

Actions
THROW: The player will release the shell and target the player in first place, regardless of how far ahead they are. This will be the player in first place after all other point calculations have taken place (both from songs AND other items), not the player who’s in first place prior to results. The player in first place will lose 2 points unless they are invincible. Every player between 1st place and the player who used the Blue Shell has a 50% chance of being hit for 0.5 points, unless they are invincible. Note that it is technically possible for you to hit yourself when using this item, in which case you would be the only one to lose points from it!

---ITEM DISTRIBUTIONS---

If you’ve played Mario Kart before, you know that the further behind in the race you are, the higher your chances of getting more powerful items are, and it’s no different here. Knowing the exact numbers won't give you any real advantage, and this OP is too much of an info dump already, so I'm not going to include them here. But if you're curious, you can view the percentages in this document, plus some additional information about how many times certain items can be awarded per round.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 08:37:13 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 07:07:59 PM »
---TASTES---

If I could offer one piece of advice, it’s that whatever you send, make sure it has an actual hook to it. I’m very big on melody, possibly as a result of growing up on classic video game soundtracks where having a good melody was all you really could do. That said, I think my definition of “melody” differs from many people. You certainly shouldn’t just send me pop music or melodic death metal, both of which are examples of genres I like some stuff from but I’m not big on as a whole. RIFFS ARE MELODIES. If something has a cool or sticky enough rhythmic component, that can easily make up for simplistic note choices in my book. Take the outro to Pantera’s Domination, as an example. It’s literally just a single note, but the rhythm is powerful enough that I immediately connect with it and remember it. One of my favorite bands is Gojira, and that’s almost exclusively due to how awesome their riffs are. If I can’t hum it, make sure I can at least Beavis & Butthead / Strong Bad mouth guitar to it. I like big dumb Drop D riffs.

I’m also a big fan of atmosphere in music - stuff with evocative soundscapes and moods that conjure up strong mental imagery. Again though, this stuff needs to be paired with actual melodies. If a song is entirely textural or resembles a sound collage more than an actual song, I probably won’t connect with it much.

Over the past few years I’ve really gotten into electronic music. I would say around 50% of the albums I end up purchasing these days are electronic to some extent. I’m beating a dead horse here, but again, if you send some, make sure it’s got some memorable melodies or rhythms to it. The biggest pitfall of electronic music tends to be structural for me - I don’t like songs that are too formless or repetitive when they don’t do enough to justify it. I really like when artists incorporate rock and electronic elements together, and one of the reasons why is that it usually results in more structured songs.

I can definitely handle extreme music, short of literal Noise (sorry Sacul). If you’ve been itching to send some brutal shit that most people on here wouldn’t be able to stomach, feel free to give it a shot.

And now, here’s my feelings on some specific genres:
  • Progressive Metal: I’m actually still into this genre a lot - most of the DTF classics still hold up to my current-day standards, and my two favorite artists are still Devin Townsend and Dream Theater. The biggest issue you’d have to contend with when sending this genre would be that I’m pretty sure I’ve already heard most of the important bands in it that I actually like. There’s certainly a chance you could send some awesome stuff that I’ve missed, but there’s also a high possibility you send something I find too generic or from a band that I’ve checked out before and failed to really grab me. And if I had to complain a bit, I’m not a fan of a lot of the super-modern sounding prog metal bands that have cropped up since TesseracT released Altered State and have seemingly no ideas other than ripping off that specific album for all eternity. Progressive metal should sound like the band is actually having fun, not be some monochrome, overly-serious, mid-tempo affair with no real energy or punchiness. I do love Periphery though - wish that was the djent band everyone wanted to rip off instead.
  • Progressive Rock: Pretty much all the same points as above, minus the complaining about TesseracT ripoffs. I’m also not that into most of the classic 70s prog rock bands other than Pink Floyd, so stuff that throws back to that sound too much doesn’t usually interest me - I prefer stuff that sounds more modern, like Porcupine Tree or Anathema. I still don’t really know what Neo Prog is but I don’t think I like it. I thought Phideux and Pure Reason Revolution were Neo Prog, and I really like some of their stuff, but it turns out they’re not. Womp womp.
  • Black Metal: Black metal is like salt. It’s basically impalatable on its own, but adding a bit of it to something else almost always makes it better. I like how it gives a bit of an edge or atmosphere to styles of metal that may be lacking in either. Bands like Agalloch, Ihshan, and Thy Catafalque are all very close to black metal while not always being fully entrenched within it, and that seems to be the sweet spot for me, as those are some of my favorite bands.
  • Death Metal / Thrash Metal: Not my favorites, but they can definitely work. The riffs better be fucking good, though.
  • Alternative Metal: If it’s simultaneously heavy and catchy, hell yeah. See the last sentence in the first paragraph of this section.
  • Power Metal: Individual songs have done well before, but I don’t think I’ve enjoyed a single strictly Power Metal album all the way through. Feel free to try to change that. Or don’t.
  • Shoegaze: I don’t really like the super hazy / textural My Bloody Valentine sound, but if the songs have actual hooks (see: Greet Death, Parannoul, Della Zyr), this can do REALLY well.
  • Post-Rock / Post-Metal: There’s definitely the chance I’ll find it too boring, but when this hits, it HITS. For Post-Rock, make sure the atmosphere and sounds are actually interesting, rather than just stock reverb-drenched tremolo guitars and nothing else. For Post-Metal, having vocals will almost certainly improve your chances of me connecting with it.
  • Synthpop: If the production is interesting enough or the atmosphere is super evocative, I’ll probably enjoy it. Otherwise it’ll be fighting an uphill battle.
  • Synthwave: I like the darker, gritter stuff like Perturbator or Carpenter Brut. The more glossy, pristine 80s worship isn’t as interesting to me.
  • Industrial: I love the aesthetic, so it’ll come down to whether I like the actual song or not.
  • Classic Rock: Doesn’t usually do well. If it’s a super famous song, I’ve probably already heard it. If it’s a deep cut, I’m probably just too young and stupid to connect with it.
  • Singer-Songwriter: Avoid like the plague. If your song could be described as “white guy with an acoustic guitar” it’s probably going to end up in the bottom three of the round.
  • Folk: If it’s super atmospheric (see Agalloch’s The White EP) then go for it. If it treads too close to singer-songwriter territory though… see above.
  • Electronic Or Rock Music With Video Game Music Aesthetics: Yes.

---BANLIST---

Any album I have rated or cataloged on my RateYourMusic is banned.

Any song that has been previously submitted in any of my roulettes is banned. I created a spreadsheet here that catalogs all of these songs, and I’ve even included links to the results for each one in case you were curious how they did at the time. Please check this sheet before submitting songs so I don’t get five people trying to send me The Light And Shade Of Things by Fates Warning again.

All of the artists listed below are fully banned, even if you find something I’ve never heard before.

Fully Banned

abriction
An Abstract Illusion
Afro Celt Sound System
Agalloch
Alcest
Anamanaguchi
Anathema
Archspire
Ayreon
Babymetal
Baroness
The Beatles
Between The Buried And Me
Blackfield
Blanck Mass
The Caretaker
Carpenter Brut
Casualties Of Cool
Cave In
Celldweller
Chapel Of Disease
Chroma Key
Clown Core
The Comet Is Coming
Converge
Cult Of Luna
Cynic
Daughters
David Maxim Micic
Deafheaven
death’s dynamic shroud
Deftones
Della Zyr
Destiny Potato / Sordid Pink
Destrage
Dethklok
Devin Townsend
Dir En Grey
Dream Theater
Elder
Fishmans
Gallowbraid
Ghost
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Gojira
Gorillaz
Greet Death
Guilt Machine
Haken
Have A Nice Life
HEALTH
Horrendous
IAMTHEKIDYOUKNOWWHATIMEAN
Ibaraki
Ihlo
Ihsahn
Infected Mushroom
Insomnium
In The Presence Of Wolves
Iron Maiden
Jinjer
Justice
Katatonia
Kauan
King Crimson
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
Kostnatění
Kvelertak
Leprous
Liquid Tension Experiment
Machine Girl
Mad Lollypop
Mastodon
maudlin of the Well
Meshuggah
Metallica
M.O.O.N.
Moonsorrow
Mutoid Man
Ne Obliviscaris
Nevermore
Nightwish
Nine Inch Nails
Obscure Sphinx
The Ocean
Oceansize
OK Goodnight
Opeth
OSI
Panchiko
Panopticon
Parannoul
Pendulum
Periphery
Perturbator
Phideaux
Pink Floyd
Poppy
Porcupine Tree
Protest The Hero
Psychedelic Porn Crumpets
Pure Reason Revolution
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Respire
Riverside
Rivers Of Nihil
Rush
Russian Circles
Sabrepulse
Shining
Sigur Rós
SikTh
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Steven Wilson
Storm Corrosion
Strapping Young Lad
Sungazer
System Of A Down
TesseracT
Thank You Scientist
Thy Catafalque
Tool
TURQUOISEDEATH
Type O Negative
Ulver
Unexpect
Vektor
VOLA
White Ward
Wilderun
Year Of The Goat

Banned During Roulette

Anciients
Animals As Leaders
Coheed And Cambria
dredg
Hudson Mohawke
Twelve Foot Ninja
Volkor X
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 08:14:05 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 07:18:56 PM »
What's Mario Kart?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 07:21:18 PM »
What's Mario Kart?

Are you fucking kidding me?

I'm in throwing a red shell at Tim.

BTW, I'm Joshi in this Roulette.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 07:22:35 PM »
What's Mario Kart?

Mario Kart is a series of kart racing games and a spin-off Mario franchise developed and published by Nintendo. Players compete in go-kart races while using various power-up items. It features characters and courses mostly from the Mario series as well as other gaming franchises such as The Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Excitebike, and Splatoon.

The series was launched in 1992 with Super Mario Kart on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), to critical and commercial success. The Mario Kart series totals fourteen games, with six on home consoles, three on handheld consoles, four arcade games co-developed with Namco, and one for mobile phones. The latest game in the series, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, was released on the Nintendo Switch in October 2020. Over 178.19 million copies in the series have been sold worldwide.

In the Mario Kart series, players compete in go-kart races, controlling one of a selection of characters, mainly from the Mario franchise. Up to twelve characters can compete in each race (varying per game). Players can perform driving techniques during the race such as rocket starts, slipstreaming, drifting, and mini-turbos.

Gameplay is enhanced by power-up items obtained by driving into item boxes laid out on the course. These power-ups vary across games in the series, but generally include Mushrooms to give players a speed boost, Red and Green Shells to be thrown at opponents, Banana Peels, and hazards such as Fake Item Boxes. The game selects an item based on the player's current position in the race, utilising a mechanism known as rubber banding. For example, players lagging far behind may receive more powerful items such as Bullet Bills, which give the player invincibility while auto-piloting them forward at great speed, while the leader of a race may only receive small defensive items, such as Shells or Bananas. This gameplay mechanism allows other racers a realistic chance to catch up to the leading racer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 07:25:25 PM »
I know what Mario Kart is! ;D

I played in one roulette and was eliminated early.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 07:26:59 PM »
I know what Mario Kart is! ;D

I played in one roulette and was eliminated early.  :lol

No eliminations this time. I think you should join so you and King can keep the thread active by insulting each other.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 07:29:14 PM »
I'm all about insulting Tim.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 07:30:04 PM »
No eliminations this time. I think you should join so you and King can keep the thread active by insulting each other.

He sucks. And blows. I'm in if you'd like. I'll send better stuff than last time. And better then Kingshmegland too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2024, 07:51:38 PM »
How can you trust a guy who doesn't know Calvin & Hobbs?

A personal inside joke from texting. Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2024, 07:57:27 PM »

I've sent. WTF are you waiting for?

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2024, 08:22:03 PM »
I've sent. WTF are you waiting for?

Received, thank you! Just as a reminder though, you and King aren't locked in yet because you've played in one of my roulettes before, so you might get bumped out of the 12 spots if enough newcomers want to join.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2024, 08:59:37 PM »
Don't mind me fellas, just parking in my reserved parking space.

Fuck it I'm in. Never done one of these before, so let's see how badly I do.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2024, 09:27:15 PM »
 :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 09:39:09 PM »
/in, i ain't reading any of that yet tho

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 09:58:36 PM »
/in, i ain't reading any of that yet tho

:biggrin: Thankfully all the items shit isn't even relevant until round 2.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 10:13:22 PM »
Too late to read all the text at the moment, but I can't imagine not being up for it. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2024, 10:16:44 PM »
I'll take a spot if available

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2024, 01:26:33 AM »
This seems fun! I suck at Mario Kart and lately my roulette successes are difficult to find, so this is a match made in heaven!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2024, 03:12:30 AM »
Received, thank you! Just as a reminder though, you and King aren't locked in yet because you've played in one of my roulettes before, so you might get bumped out of the 12 spots if enough newcomers want to join.

I’m eliminated already? :lol

No problem. I just wanted to get something out before just in case.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2024, 04:06:18 AM »
Not read any of the rules or themes yet but confirming that obviously I'm in!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2024, 05:43:56 AM »
I'll watch on the sidelines for this one. :corn
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2024, 06:18:39 AM »
I'm down if you got space! I still play MarioKart 64 to this day so I'm all about it.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2024, 07:05:46 AM »
Litho, Lonestar, Ariich, and Reaper are locked in! Elite goes on the tentative list.

Two more sign-ups until we start hitting the cap. Sacul still has a free spot if he wants to play.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2024, 10:54:59 AM »
Hell yeah I'm def in :metal

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2024, 11:39:52 AM »
Any thought to having the TAC wildcard rule? 

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2024, 11:50:55 AM »
Any thought to having the TAC wildcard rule?

Never done it before. I think it'd work less well for me because I'm slow and I often don't really know how I feel about a song until I've heard it at least a few times. :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2024, 12:02:41 PM »
Well, TAC says he can usually tell right away, but there's nothing keeping you from doing further listens.  On one of mine wolfking says he had to listen a number of times to decide.  I have one song in particular that I could see scoring anywhere from a 1 to a 10 depending upon how it strikes someone, so I wouldn't want it as a primary entry. 

I'm contemplating going down a purely (or maybe just mostly) electronic route, but might bail on that strategy if the first few bomb. 

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2024, 12:14:47 PM »
I have one song in particular that I could see scoring anywhere from a 1 to a 10 depending upon how it strikes someone, so I wouldn't want it as a primary entry.

Well, you never know! Give my Tastes section a once-over, look through my RYM, see if you think it's worth the risk. With the ranking-based scores and items, it's a lot easier to recover from a single dud in this roulette if you do consistently well afterwards.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2024, 12:46:35 PM »
If you want classic rock that you've heard before (but didn't know it was "that band") or male singer-songwriters, I'm in. :)

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2024, 12:50:14 PM »
If you want classic rock that you've heard before (but didn't know it was "that band") or male singer-songwriters, I'm in. :)

Classic Rock: Doesn’t usually do well. If it’s a super famous song, I’ve probably already heard it. If it’s a deep cut, I’m probably just too young and stupid to connect with it.
Singer-Songwriter: Avoid like the plague. If your song could be described as “white guy with an acoustic guitar” it’s probably going to end up in the bottom three of the round.

I mean, it's your call. :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2024, 12:57:34 PM »
It's almost like you wrote the OP intentionally to exclude Stadler.  :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2024, 01:00:03 PM »
It's almost like you wrote the OP intentionally to exclude Stadler.  :lol

What, is he a well-known Mario Kart hater or something? :neverusethis: