Author Topic: In Defense of James LaBrie: A Manifesto  (Read 8239 times)

Offline crystalstars17

Re: In Defense of James LaBrie: A Manifesto
« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2024, 04:27:01 AM »
But I wouldn’t be adverse to bringing in someone who was different. Someone who had their own style, but was perfectly capable of performing old material with his own spin. 

But ONLY if they also kept James!!! Why not have two singers, like Helloween. The one who can step in gracefully and sing old songs in his own style, AND the original!

This way James could get much-needed breaks, and we wouldn't lose anything, but gain a second great singer who has his own style and is NOT just a mimic.

I think this is the only way I would accept a "new" singer in DT.

Offline DAYAFTERDAY

• Apocalyptic - James Labrie!
« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2024, 11:23:46 AM »
It worked pretty great with Devin doing the hard bits in TSCO last tour. Ultimately I’m happy with James as long as he’s at least as good as 2019/2020. The 22/23 shows there was definitely something really wrong beyond the usual struggles with the higher sections. But I’m hoping it was just a blip.

If they ever got a new singer it would feel like a DT cover band. I know queensryche with Todd is popular around here judging from the QR thread but for me they just aren’t queensryche anymore without Geoff. The same goes for DT, JLB is too unique to be replaced.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2024, 11:34:28 AM »
But ONLY if they also kept James!!! Why not have two singers, like Helloween. The one who can step in gracefully and sing old songs in his own style, AND the original!

Because in Helloween the two singers are the classic one, and the guy that carried the band for 20 years after the classic guy was fired.

Bringing another singer now would be basically saying "our singer can't cut it anymore so we need a younger one to help out".

True, some bands did hire a backup singer - usually it's Michele Luppi - but it's that, a backup singer, and I believe he plays keyboards in Whitesnake as well, off the top of my head I can't remember any other band that brought along a younger singer 'cause the oldest one has difficulties with performing a whole set.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2024, 11:55:43 AM »
Bringing another singer now would be basically saying "our singer can't cut it anymore so we need a younger one to help out".

I was never the one who said he'd have to be "younger".

I meant two equally capable, equally seasoned singers. Nothing else would work.

Online DTwwbwMP

« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2024, 01:08:51 PM »
I just want a quality singer who won't change the DT sound BUT CAN ACTUALLY SING THE SONGS PROPERLY ON STAGE! Why hold on to someone that obviously can't hack it anymore? I'd love for JLB to prove me wrong, but I just don't think he can do it any longer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2024, 01:14:38 PM »
I just want a quality singer who won't change the DT sound BUT CAN ACTUALLY SING THE SONGS PROPERLY ON STAGE! Why hold on to someone that obviously can't hack it anymore? I'd love for JLB to prove me wrong, but I just don't think he can do it any longer.

So, then they become Journey?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2024, 01:20:52 PM »

I think we should wait to hear what happens on DT16 tour before concluding anyone is done, but in answer to your question: friendship and loyalty. If there is no meaningful improvement next time then, I think we'll have to concede your point.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2024, 01:41:28 PM »
I think we should wait to hear what happens on DT16 tour before concluding anyone is done, but in answer to your question: friendship and loyalty. If there is no meaningful improvement next time then, I think we'll have to concede your point.
Right. I mean, he surely had a bad run to finish out the View tour, but he's been known to rebound.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2024, 01:48:22 PM »

For the love of all that is ethical, I pray we never see that day. 😔

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2024, 03:32:01 PM »
Have you seen the Big Chungus video? Evidence he must be running nearly ten or more kilos a day

Well you would know better than Scotty after all.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2024, 03:53:48 PM »
Well you would know better than Scotty after all.

thank you
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2024, 03:54:25 PM »
I can't remember any other band that brought along a younger singer 'cause the oldest one has difficulties with performing a whole set.

Mr.Big had help for Eric this current tour: https://youtu.be/tSvzhT65mHY?t=51

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2024, 03:55:27 PM »
Mr.Big had help for Eric this current tour: https://youtu.be/tSvzhT65mHY?t=51

Right, that's Michele Luppi, who does the same thing for Whitesnake. It's embarrassing for a band to have to do this.

« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2024, 03:56:35 PM »
it's definitely embarrassing which is why DT will never stoop to the level and do it. Our guys are better
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2024, 04:08:22 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2024, 04:20:38 PM »
Have you seen the Big Chungus video? Evidence he must be running nearly ten or more kilos a day

I run around 10 kilos a day too!  Would love to go for a run with James.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2024, 04:31:23 PM »
James isn’t running 6+ miles a day - cmon  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2024, 05:43:16 PM »
Great post, Dark Lialink. The only thing I would say is that while I agree his timbre is unique and special and one of the draws of him, don't let it cloud the understanding of how hard JLB works to keep his voice good. Timbre isn't really something you have any control over, it's just naturally how you sound, but his energy, his stage banter, and the accuracy of his singing night after night, song after song, come from his dedication to his craft and his desire to keep himself in good shape. I remember on the bonus DVD for the Chaos in Motion DVD he mentioned running 5 kilos on the treadmill every day. I bet he's kept that up and is even in more shape now, if he was doing 5 kilos in 2009, imagine how much the man must run before the show each night in 2024?? Probably 15 kilos or more. Such dedication to his body and to us, the fans.

You obviously don't run but if James is running 15kms before each show, then it's no wonder why he is sounding the way he is these days.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:04:16 AM by wolfking »

Offline Rob24

« Reply #193 on: April 29, 2024, 02:20:54 AM »
Day 647736644 of you guys still not noticing that Hovering Sojourn is a troll, and crystalstars is an insufferable toddler.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2024, 05:13:20 AM »
that Hovering Sojourn is a troll, and crystalstars is an insufferable toddler.

Oh go look in the mirror.

Offline Animal

« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2024, 06:21:48 AM »
Day 647736644 of you guys still not noticing that Hovering Sojourn is a troll, and crystalstars is an insufferable toddler.

No need for that kind of a smartboy pose. Everyone here is fully equipped to make their mind on other posters and read/skip or engage/not engage with their posts accordingly. As easy as that. An example to help you understand this concept: I usually don't engage with HoJo's posts, as I don't see them generating a kind of discussion to which I can contribute in any meaningful way. But I do read them - I find quite a few of them amusing. If I didn't, I would just skip them.

« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2024, 06:52:00 AM »
You obviously don't run but if James is running 15kms before each show, then it's no wonder why he is sounding the way he is these days.

You're right, I don't run. I thought there were more kilos in a mile too :lol After double checking the conversion rate you're right lmaoo
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2024, 09:09:36 AM »
God, I hope not
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2024, 09:10:39 AM »
No need for that kind of a smartboy pose.

Oh his antics are nothing new. He posts nothing at all for several months and then comes back with a useless quip like this. He's simply a troll.

The one-week bans are obviously not working in this case, mods... 🙄

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2024, 09:22:15 AM »
Please stop.  This is your warning.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2024, 09:35:59 AM »
Right, that's Michele Luppi, who does the same thing for Whitesnake. It's embarrassing for a band to have to do this.

See, I don’t see this as being that bad. If the singer is struggling, I would much rather have someone that helps with difficult parts. It’s that, listen to them struggle through it, using backing tracks or replace the lead singer. I think having a helper is the best of those options.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2024, 09:58:49 AM »

I would like to know why somebody with an account that was pretty much dormant for over a decade suddenly feels the compulsion to log on to insult users he doesn't like.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2024, 10:03:45 AM »
I would like to know why somebody with an account that was pretty much dormant for over a decade suddenly feels the compulsion to log on to insult users he doesn't like.

I think he just hates James, and his compulsion is to mindlessly insult his defenders.

Surely it's time for him to go and find a better use for his time.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2024, 02:07:58 PM »
See, I don’t see this as being that bad. If the singer is struggling, I would much rather have someone that helps with difficult parts. It’s that, listen to them struggle through it, using backing tracks or replace the lead singer. I think having a helper is the best of those options.
I beg to differ on that. None of the options you've listed work, IMO (never been a fan of touring musicians to augment a band's sound, nor backing tracks). Best for the band to be more selective in the songs played, to down tune them, and to alter the vocal melodies to something that the vocalist can do, as well as for the vocalist to seek out help to figure out their weaknesses so that they can be addressed.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2024, 02:28:15 PM »
I beg to differ on that. None of the options you've listed work, IMO (never been a fan of touring musicians to augment a band's sound, nor backing tracks). Best for the band to be more selective in the songs played, to down tune them, and to alter the vocal melodies to something that the vocalist can do, as well as for the vocalist to seek out help to figure out their weaknesses so that they can be addressed.

Right. There's no reason that James can't find a pocket for each song in which to operate, unless he truly is toast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2024, 05:01:16 PM »
You're right, I don't run. I thought there were more kilos in a mile too :lol After double checking the conversion rate you're right lmaoo

1 mile equates to 1.6 kms.

« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2024, 05:03:37 PM »
1 mile equates to 1.6 kms.

yeah i had it backwards lol maybe he's only running a few kilos a day..
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2024, 05:16:29 PM »
I run zero miles per day, which somehow equates to zero kgms.

« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2024, 06:36:48 PM »
I run zero miles per day, which somehow equates to zero kgms.

:metal
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2024, 07:04:05 PM »
Hopefully JLB makes a big comeback later this year and we can all put the issue and the thread to bed.