Author Topic: The Haken thread v. Restoration  (Read 414265 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Haken thread v. The Mountain
« Reply #1820 on: September 05, 2013, 03:31:14 AM »
Yeah, releasing Atlas Stone first was logical. Pareidolia maybe a bit less so, but I only think that because it's one of my favourites on the album so like 12% of me just wishes I haden't had that spoiled. But with the video and all it makes much sense too.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1821 on: September 05, 2013, 03:35:16 AM »
In Memoriam is a great song; my idea to pre-release it alone is because of its length (4 min track). I should have mentioned that I disagree with the early releases of BOTH Atlas Stone and Pareidolia because of their lengths (i.e. total 18.22 min which is approx. 30% of the album length !!) I believe you will agree that listening to 30% of an album prior to its release will surely affect its listening experience as a whole.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1822 on: September 05, 2013, 04:14:44 AM »
Interesting point, I hadn't thought of it in terms of the proportion of the album that it covered. But I listened to those two songs quite a lot, and it hasn't spoiled my enjoyment of the album in any way. My first couple of listens were to the whole album, then I did a few listens either skipping those two songs or just picking out individual songs to listen to and focus on, which got me familiar with the rest of the songs. Since then I've been listening to the album in full again and it doesn't feel like I know those two songs much better than the rest.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1823 on: September 05, 2013, 04:23:39 AM »
Don't wanna be that guy but if you see a track by that length and you value not being spoiled then don't listen to it and wait for the album. It dosen't matter what song they will release someone will always find something to nag about.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Liampie

« Reply #1824 on: September 05, 2013, 05:21:41 AM »
Ariich, could you please add a poll to this topic (2 or 3 votes per user, changing votes allowed)? I'd like to see which songs are the general favourites, since everyone is posting their personal list now.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: September 05, 2013, 05:25:10 AM »
Yeah, that would be interesting.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1826 on: September 05, 2013, 07:24:07 AM »
You mean from the Mountain or just any Haken songs?

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1827 on: September 05, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »
Don't wanna be that guy but if you see a track by that length and you value not being spoiled then don't listen to it and wait for the album. It dosen't matter what song they will release someone will always find something to nag about.

I guess you failed "not being that guy" by your post above.
You fascinated me by your way to debate and argue the "singles release" issue: "don't listen to it and wait for the album"  :tup

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #1828 on: September 05, 2013, 08:14:29 AM »
Saying that Haken has made ANY album-even Aquarius, which I love-that is better than the murderer's row of albums that were mentioned in this thread from other prog bands might be the single biggest bit of hyperbole I've read since the Terrrorizer review that said an album by death metal band Mithras was the greatest album produced in the history of music from the UK.  :lol Seriously, guys, lighten up a bit. Even Haken would find that notion silly.

I agree that Haken would probably find the notion silly, but that's just because those are probably their influences and it would feel weird for an artist to look at his own creation and say: Yeah, that's better than all those things that inspired me, I'm a freaking genius.
But I don't think this means that we, the people who have listened to The Mountain and those other albums, need to share those opinions. I am willing to say that those classics were, when they were released, a much bigger deal than The Mountain is now. But I think people often confuse historical importance with how good the actual listening experience is. So I would say those albums are more historically important (revolutionary, even) and pretty good in their own right, but, for me, The Mountain is better than them.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #1829 on: September 05, 2013, 08:18:17 AM »
In Memoriam is a great song; my idea to pre-release it alone is because of its length (4 min track). I should have mentioned that I disagree with the early releases of BOTH Atlas Stone and Pareidolia because of their lengths (i.e. total 18.22 min which is approx. 30% of the album length !!) I believe you will agree that listening to 30% of an album prior to its release will surely affect its listening experience as a whole.

I admit it felt weird at the beginning, but by now I've listened to the entire album so many times that it no longer feels so. It's similar to when DT released those snippets for ADToE and afterwards I would always be like "Wow, that's when the snippet used to end!", but now I never even notice. So in the long run I'm really glad I could listen to those tracks before, especially given that there were so many great songs left on the album.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1830 on: September 05, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »

I guess you failed "not being that guy" by your post above.
You fascinated me by your way to debate and argue the "singles release" issue: "don't listen to it and wait for the album"  :tup
Wait, what?  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1831 on: September 05, 2013, 05:01:33 PM »
If I had to choose two different singles from the album, they would be In Memoriam and Falling Back to Earth. Or Cockroach King, just for the sh*tstorm the fans would have  :rollin
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1832 on: September 05, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »
I couldn't be happier with the release of Pareidolia as a single.
I will always remember that day... Dream Theater released the first single of their upcoming album and I ended up not-caring all that much for it because Haken stole the show with that masterpiece.

...and dat Sirtaki section :metal

EDIT: I know, I know... it's not really Sirtaki but I think we should call it "Sirtaki section" nonetheless because the name sounds awesome.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1833 on: September 05, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
I couldn't be happier with the release of Pareidolia as a single.
I will always remember that day... Dream Theater released the first single of their upcoming album and I ended up not-caring all that much for it because Haken stole the show with that masterpiece.

...and dat Sirtaki section :metal

EDIT: I know, I know... it's not really Sirtaki but I think we should call it "Sirtaki section" nonetheless because the name sounds awesome.

Which section specifically does that refer to?

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1834 on: September 05, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »
The section when the Greek string instrument is playing. There aren't that many sections in the song that you can joke to be called "Sirtaki" ;)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1835 on: September 05, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »
Been listening to Aquarius and Visions.  Hopefully, The Mountain is just as good or better.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1836 on: September 05, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
'tis, sir, 'tis.

also sweet stuff: my album review was featured on Sputnik! yay for Haken exposure.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1837 on: September 06, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »
'tis, sir, 'tis.

also sweet stuff: my album review was featured on Sputnik! yay for Haken exposure.

It is a great review, so it's well deserved.

Oh and this album is quite AWESOME, if anyone is on the fence.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1838 on: September 06, 2013, 02:13:52 AM »
That's great Adam, getting featured with your first review is of course brilliant, plus it's more exposure for the band which I'm sure they'll be grateful for!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1839 on: September 06, 2013, 02:47:25 AM »
You truly gave them album what it deserves in beautiful words  :hefdaddy

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1840 on: September 06, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »
SHEESH guys thanks haha. I appreciate it. This album is easily my favorite of the year so far, and I thought it would be hard to top The National's newest album.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1841 on: September 07, 2013, 03:08:12 AM »
Just waiting for the lyrics to show up online so I can sing along properly and not just sing 80% of the words and the rest in pure jibberish.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1842 on: September 07, 2013, 03:13:58 AM »
Just waiting for the lyrics to show up online so I can sing along properly and not just sing 80% of the words and the rest in pure jibberish.

Or you could buy the album and read with the album booklet. The artwork is really nice as well :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: September 07, 2013, 03:14:37 AM »
Some of us hasn't gotten the album yet, so I'm listening through Spotify.

Let me know if you find the lyrics online.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1844 on: September 07, 2013, 03:18:38 AM »

Or you could buy the album and read with the album booklet. The artwork is really nice as well :)

I definetely will! But for now it's what Zydar said for me.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1845 on: September 07, 2013, 11:11:35 AM »
I agree that Haken would probably find the notion silly, but that's just because those are probably their influences and it would feel weird for an artist to look at his own creation and say: Yeah, that's better than all those things that inspired me, I'm a freaking genius.
But I don't think this means that we, the people who have listened to The Mountain and those other albums, need to share those opinions. I am willing to say that those classics were, when they were released, a much bigger deal than The Mountain is now. But I think people often confuse historical importance with how good the actual listening experience is. So I would say those albums are more historically important (revolutionary, even) and pretty good in their own right, but, for me, The Mountain is better than them.

Well, my beef with most (not all, just the majority) modern prog bands is that i think that their music already has been "done better in the past".
Picking some best prog albums from 2010's like the ones Steven Wilson and Haken released, i enjoy them but, for me, these older albums are in a total another level of enjoyment (for example, i listen to some canterbury albums and i don't think anything comes close today).
But, just my opinion; it's all great and enjoyable music in the end 
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1846 on: September 07, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
lol dude, I guess that's cool and all that you enjoy older music more but you cannot say it was "done better in the past"... that's just ridiculous and trite

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1847 on: September 07, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »
lol dude, I guess that's cool and all that you enjoy older music more but you cannot say it was "done better in the past"... that's just ridiculous and trite
In fairness, he does make it clear in that post that it's all just his opinion.

His earlier post, less so.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1848 on: September 07, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »
Alright, let's get back to ranking. I've gotten to love every single track A LOT, so ranking is difficult. Here goes:

1. Pareidolia
2. Because It's There
3. Atlas Stone
4. Falling Back to Earth
5. Cockroach King
6. In Memoriam
7. Somebody
8. As Death Embraces
9. The Path
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1849 on: September 07, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »

Apparently music is like the opposite of sports. Athletes get better and better over the years with improved techniques that continue to push world records, but musicians just rehash and copy and dwindle as time goes on, or something like that.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1850 on: September 07, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »

Apparently music is like the opposite of sports. Athletes get better and better over the years with improved techniques that continue to push world records, but musicians just rehash and copy and dwindle as time goes on, or something like that.

And i can't blame the musicians... You are born into a world where people already have done so many great works in art, music, cinema, television... It's very hard to not copy a formula that already exists.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1851 on: September 07, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
I'm a bit sad about the low placements of Somebody.. It's either #1 or #2 for me.

But you do make it clear that you love all the tracks so I guess some will have to take the lower places.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1852 on: September 07, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »
And i can't blame the musicians... You are born into a world where people already have done so many great works in art, music, cinema, television... It's very hard to not copy a formula that already exists.

Agreed, we live in a time that it's increasingly difficult to create anything original. Everything is inspired or transformed from what came before, but I still think we can evaluate the work of each artist on its own merits and find people today that are on the level or exceeding the greats in the past.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: September 07, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »
I guess I'll try ranking:

1. Pareidolia
2. Atlas Stone
3. Somebody
4. Falling Back to Earth
5. In Memoriam
6. Cockroach King
7. As Death Embraces
8. Path
9. Because It's There

I love every song, though.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1854 on: September 07, 2013, 07:21:55 PM »
The only song that hasn't completely clicked with me it As Death Embraces, for whatever reason.