Author Topic: The Haken thread v. Restoration  (Read 414270 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Haken thread v. The Mountain
« Reply #1575 on: August 26, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »
Cockroach King is so fun! :lol

I liken it to The Count of Tuscany. If you just accept and enjoy the lyrics it will always make you happy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1576 on: August 26, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »
The music is also very quirky.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1577 on: August 26, 2013, 12:40:40 PM »

I liken it to The Count of Tuscany. If you just accept and enjoy the lyrics it will always make you happy.
I don't see how the lyrics are in any way similar. I mean, I love TCOT but the lyrics are incredibly literal, which is not at all the case with CK.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1578 on: August 26, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »
Unfortunately I've not been able to actually read the full lyrics of CK yet, but I just get the same non super serious vibe. May be off, as I've often said I never really pay too much attention to lyrics.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline krands85

« Reply #1579 on: August 26, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
Imho,this isn't as good as the previous two. BUT,It's almost as good as Aquarius.
That's how I see it at the moment, but after only 2 listens. And the second listen was a big improvement over the first.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1580 on: August 26, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »
I'm properly obsessed with In Memoriam at the moment.

TEARING DOWN THE WALLS OF ETERNITY

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1581 on: August 26, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »

Holy shit, then it must be good. Can't wait for the album!!!

Offline adace

« Reply #1582 on: August 26, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »
Awesome album :metal Not sure it's as good as Visions, but it's pretty close.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1583 on: August 26, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »
Going to be hard to beat this as album of the year in my book. OUTSTANDING album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1584 on: August 26, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »
Pretty good album. Not sure how I would rank it yet.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1585 on: August 27, 2013, 12:59:43 AM »
Why is Amazon telling me it is being released on Sept 17?!?!?!? Thought it was out next week. Maybe the US is just later.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #1586 on: August 27, 2013, 01:11:13 AM »
I thought Haken's music was already pretty eccentric, but this album...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1587 on: August 27, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »
First impression (and *first listen*, keep that in mind) opinions:

- The Path: Beautiful opening
- Atlas Stone: heard it before, fantastic song
- Cockroach King: undoubtedly the worst Haken song ever
- In Memoriam: Pretty nice and heavy
- Because It's There: about the most 'beautiful' and 'sincere' thing Haken has done, but not especially good
- Falling Back to Earth: pretty cool, nothing special. A couple of nice heavy riffs and the 'chorus' is good, but I feel the whole song goes on for too long.
- As Death Embraces: forget what I said about Because It's There. Apart from it not being good, that goes for this track. This is pretty fantastic.
- Pareidolia: easily the best track on the album, possible top 5 Haken song. This is what I want from them!
- Somebody: pretty nice closer to the album. Nothing extraordinarily special, but I liked the vocal things the band did here

- The Path Unbeaten: I think I like this better than The Path, but I'm not entirely sure. It's definitely beautiful
- Nobody: Haken does acoustic guitars? I think I like the arrangement better than on 'Somebody', but it misses the vocal stuff. Nice track

Overall: I'm pretty disappointed actually. I *loved* both Visions and Aquarius, but this album here didn't floor me at all on first listen. It has some very good tracks, but also some very mediocre ones. I can't stress enough that these are my feelings based SOLELY on the first listen. In time they might change, I'll see how it feels when they likely play all of it live next Tuesday. Looking forward to that regardless, seeing Haken is always nice.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: August 27, 2013, 07:10:11 AM »
So, my 2 cents about The Mountain:

The album is quite good in many aspects. As some of you have said, the maturity in their music is very evident and they seem to be more comfortable in experimenting with new things, specially with all the Jazz elements they incorporated. Ross is at his best here, I have absolutely no complaints about his performance, same for the rest of the band.

On the downside, on some aspects I feel they went a bit far in either the technical aspect or the experimentation. I love prog, it's my favorite musical genre but when it's overdone it doesn't sound right and breaks the smooth flow in a song which happens in some songs here.

After doing the listen I'm a bit amazed that they chose the best two songs (IMO) to release before the album. I would assume a band would release something that's more on the average on an album to promote it so that when people listen to it they find something even better but then again, my opinion.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: August 27, 2013, 07:24:51 AM »

:|
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1590 on: August 27, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »

My reaction wavers between this and pure rage.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:32 AM »
Interesting interview with Charlie Griffiths:

https://www.ghostcultmag.com/a-towering-experience-an-interview-with-haken/

I didn't know they all work day jobs still.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1592 on: August 27, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
It's sad they can't make a living from their music and tour full-time. I'd love to see them live.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1593 on: August 27, 2013, 08:25:15 AM »

That really shouldn't be news. Basically any band that isn't playing theaters somewhat regularly is not going to make enough money to be supported primarily by the music they write nowadays. Even Symphony X, a band that tours clubs in the US regularly and successfully has to find other income outside of the tours.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1594 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:47 AM »
After more listens, I can say that this is better than Visions, but still cannot touch the absolute masterpiece that was Aquarius.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: August 27, 2013, 08:30:43 AM »

That really shouldn't be news. Basically any band that isn't playing theaters somewhat regularly is not going to make enough money to be supported primarily by the music they write nowadays. Even Symphony X, a band that tours clubs in the US regularly and successfully has to find other income outside of the tours.

Yeah I know. I guess I'm just stuck in the mindset of the 60s and 70s where bands usually could live off their music and ditch the day jobs. It's a totally different game today.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1596 on: August 27, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »
Rich and Diego, definitely give the album more listens. It's a more intense album than their first two, and so needs time to sink in and grow.

I'm sure they released those two songs early because they are the most safe and "Haken-y" songs on the album, arguably anyway. Where they've pushed the boundaries of what they are doing across much of the album. I disagree that those two are the best anyway.

My reaction wavers between this and pure rage.
Yep, CK is awesome.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1597 on: August 27, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »

To me this song seemed like this is what Gentle Giant would sound like if they were a heavy metal band.  I don't dislike Gentle Giant, but I don't listen to them a lot either.  It will be interesting to see how much I like this song as time goes on.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1598 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:26 AM »
Right, here I am after my second listen, this time in the car, instead of at home. I enjoyed it a lot more than on the first listen, but I still didn't really 'get', nor really 'like' Cockroach King. Though I understand your rage if you do like the song; see it in perspective. Haken hasn't made ANY bad songs at all, so basically saying a song is the 'worst' means next to nothing. It's not bad, certainly, but it's way too early for me to rage over it and still, after only two listens, by far the weak point of the album, for me.

Hope that clears some up. Oh, and I'm still the huge Haken fan I was 2-3 years ago, so I had my hopes up high for this album. All I can say, so far, is we got the best in advance, as Atlas Stone and Pareidolia really are the best two tracks.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1599 on: August 27, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »
Cockroach King, oh boy.

Kind of feels like they threw all their quirkiness at one song at once, and there are parts I absolutely love and parts that make me go "please don't do this again."  :rollin

I'll give Haken credit for moving away from the comfort zone of being what they were on their first two albums, which was, and bear in mind I like them, kind of prog metal by numbers, albeit exceptionally well done prog metal. Just part of me thinks they're better at being prog metal by numbers than they are at being quirky and out there.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: August 27, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
Rich and Diego, definitely give the album more listens.

Listened to it at least 5 times yesterday, but as you say, some albums take time to grow

And I will agree with Elite here, CK is the weakest song Haken has done.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1601 on: August 27, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
Closest thing to what I think of the album is probably what Elite said after his first listen. This album is a very solid album, but not at all as good as either Visions or Aquarius.

My biggest wish is that they'd just do something expected for once. Just when you think that an awesome melody is coming because of the feel of the music, they almost always throws in those weird chords or just go full "weird" and experimental. I do like that and think it's an awesome side of Haken but maybe they shouldn't do it all the time. For me, Haken is at their best when they're being epic, symphonic and melodically beautiful and I feel like there's less of that on this album.

My thoughts on the tracks so far:
The Path - Pretty good. Much better after you've become familiar with the theme.
Atlas Stone - Also good, a bit twitchy, no real "flow" which drags it down a little.
Cockroach King - Well.. It's better after a few listens, once you've gotten used to all the strange things. This song is esentially an expansion on my least favorite parts of the other Haken songs.
In Memoriam - If listened to from start to finish, this is the best song so far.
Because It's There - Beautiful, this one I love. Someone described this and In Memoriam as Haken's best short songs and I think I agree with that.
Falling Back to Earth - Started of excellent, then took a questionable turn when the verses started. Chorus is good, when the calm section started I had high hopes for it, but then of course they just went weird with it. It's still really cool though.
As Death Embraces - Not really feeling this yet. I expect I need to listen to it more. It is absolutely not bad, just not feeling it yet.
Pareidolia - Haven't decided if this or the next track is the best on the album.
Somebody - Great one. I wish they fleshed out the "still I'm yearning..." part a bit more because that is awesome, and maybe skipped the "I wish I could have been somebody" thing, but other than that it's awesome.

The Path Unbeaten - Nice.
Nobody - Also nice.

A bit to much of a Beardfish/Karmakanic vibe over this album that puts it below their other two, but still very good.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1602 on: August 27, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »
I really disagree, I think Falling Back to Earth, Somebody, The Path, and Because It's There are the true standouts of the album. Because It's There is just absolutely beautiful, I think.

Also-- I think Cockroach King is really, really fun, and it's nice to hear something somewhat goofy since most of the album is fairly serious.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1603 on: August 27, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »
My biggest wish is that they'd just do something expected for once. Just when you think that an awesome melody is coming because of the feel of the music, they almost always throws in those weird chords or just go full "weird" and experimental.

I don't think I've heard anyone say this before, but I completely agree. I feel like Haken often sacrifices very strong melodies for the sake of being proggy and wacky. It can be cool, but it is often very annoying.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1604 on: August 27, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
I agree; sometimes it just feels like they're quirky and out there when they should just let something groove for a bit.

I like the album, but it's easily the least of their three to date.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1605 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »
I agree with Elite. Cockroach King is Haken's worst song.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1606 on: August 27, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »
I have to say, I'm truly shocked at people's reaction to Cockroach King.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: August 27, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »
I'm impressed that people are so quick to make judgments after so short time. I personally need a lot of time to let the music sink in and really get a grasp of it all.

I would make a terrible reviewer, handing in my review like two months after release date :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1608 on: August 27, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
I'm impressed that people are so quick to make judgments after so short time. I personally need a lot of time to let the music sink in and really get a grasp of it all.

I would make a terrible reviewer, handing in my review like two months after release date :lol

No, you would make a great reviewer, just a late one!

I often start writing my reviews after a listen or two, but then there is a constant revision process for those parts over the next half dozen-ten listens or so.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1609 on: August 27, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »
I have to say, I'm truly shocked at people's reaction to Cockroach King.
Same here. It's quite quirky, but Haken have loads of quirky stuff in their music. I think it's a great song!

Anyone else getting a BTBAM vibe from Falling Back To Earth? Not so much in the verses and choruses, but especially the instrumental and then most of the second half of the song.

I be am boner inducing.