Author Topic: The Haken thread v. Restoration  (Read 414236 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken (New album "Visions" due in October)
« Reply #490 on: October 27, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »
Hm. Comparing this with Aquarius-- it's got higher highs, imo, as well as better lyrics. On the down-site, the instrumental sections tend to wander a bit and the album is a lot less consistent (especially during the song cycle in the middle). I'd say they're about equal.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #491 on: October 27, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »
I absolutely love Deathless. Definitely one of their best songs.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #492 on: October 27, 2011, 07:21:32 PM »
What do people think of Haken vs. Dream Theater?

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #493 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
I like ADTOE more than Visions but they're both awesome and top 10 albums for the year.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: October 27, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »
Well, I've heard 11 DT albums and only 2 by Haken. If they can keep it up they could easily be a greater band than DT. I want to see what they can come up with after these two masterpieces they have created.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline yesrushdt

« Reply #495 on: October 27, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »
Album of the year for sure.

I'm in total agreement.  As amazing as ADTOE and many other albums have been this year, Visions just seems to be that much better in every way. 

Production has definitely improved since Aquarius (without sounding OVER-produced like so many modern albums) as has the songwriting.  Wish they would have included a bit more of the symphonic/ambient type passages (like they had on Aquarius), but that's a small complaint.  I appreciate the fact that they were going for something different (heavier overall) this time around.  Fits well with the concept.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #496 on: October 27, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
My copy just came in the mail.  This album kicks ass!  :metal

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #497 on: October 27, 2011, 10:47:07 PM »
After my first listen I think this album is probably better than Aquarius.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #498 on: October 28, 2011, 07:17:07 AM »
Finally just got around to ordering this one. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: October 29, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »
What do people think of Haken vs. Dream Theater?
Haken's material blows current Dream Theater out of the water.

I prefer Aquarius to Visions. Visions is a little more consistent, perhaps, but the highs are just not as impressive.

Offline jsem

« Reply #500 on: October 29, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »
I prefer Aquarius to Visions. Visions is a little more consistent, perhaps, but the highs are just not as impressive.
After three listens, this is my opinion. I don't see it changing all that much.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #501 on: October 30, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »
Gave this a re-listen recently, and I agree with the consensus: Aquarius has the higher highs, Visions is more consistent. Aquarius was occasionally a little scattershot (and I still wince at the death metal vocals) but Visions in terms of songwriting is more consistent and focused. And oh, that title track.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #502 on: October 30, 2011, 01:24:52 PM »
Visions > Aquarius > A Dramatic Turn of Events

That's what I think about Haken vs. Dream Theater. I'm probably one of the biggest Haken fanboys in the world, having listened to Aquarius TONS of times. I only received Visions last monday and I can say I've spun it at least 10 times in my CD player already. I can't say that of ADTOE or BC&SL. Visions blew me away, from first listen on. While Aquarius was a VERY impressive album and AOTY for 2010 for me, I think the band outdid themselves with Visions. The lyrics are better, the songwriting has matured a lot, the album flows better and the music is, imho, absolutely fantastic. This is one band to look out for. Having seen them live twice already (as many times as I've seen DT), I can gladly say this band is worth going to and their music is awesome to be enjoyed in a live setting.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #503 on: October 30, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
Visions blew me away, from first listen on. While Aquarius was a VERY impressive album and AOTY for 2010 for me, I think the band outdid themselves with Visions. The lyrics are better, the songwriting has matured a lot, the album flows better and the music is, imho, absolutely fantastic.
Completely agreed with this, I really love Visions.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #504 on: October 30, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
I like Visions better than Aquarius, actually. The album feels so cohesive and just makes me actually want to listen to it in full, with all concentration on the music.

And I'm still also convinced Deathless is the best them. Such an amazing song.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #505 on: October 31, 2011, 01:21:03 AM »
After all these glowing reviews I decided to buy the album from Amazon.
Hmm, can't say I'm with you guys on this. I find the band still has the same issues they had with Aquarius (which I had heard a long time ago), that is, prog by numbers. They got the key solos, the 7-string guitar, the choir patches, the lyrics about alternate realities, conspiracies etc., but in all that I find there's very little song. To say it somewhat acrimoniously, to me it's the music they play in venues before the band comes on.
Oh well. They got my money, so I hope they'll put out another album after this one. Maybe I'll appreciate that one more. I'll probably also give it another whirl or two on the plane to Australia.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #506 on: October 31, 2011, 02:37:09 AM »
Rumbo, do give the album a good few listens before finalising judgement. The last two tracks are particularly excellent!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #507 on: October 31, 2011, 03:05:24 AM »
I will, aarich. One thing is finalized though; they need to find a lyrics writer. Good god, their lyrics are one long chain of clichees :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #508 on: October 31, 2011, 04:30:57 AM »
Yeah they have the occasional great line but a lot of the lyrics are pretty standard prog fare. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: October 31, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »
After all these glowing reviews I decided to buy the album from Amazon.
Hmm, can't say I'm with you guys on this. I find the band still has the same issues they had with Aquarius (which I had heard a long time ago), that is, prog by numbers. They got the key solos, the 7-string guitar, the choir patches, the lyrics about alternate realities, conspiracies etc., but in all that I find there's very little song. To say it somewhat acrimoniously, to me it's the music they play in venues before the band comes on.
Oh well. They got my money, so I hope they'll put out another album after this one. Maybe I'll appreciate that one more. I'll probably also give it another whirl or two on the plane to Australia.

rumborak

hmm, that was kind of what I thought about their first one and I had hoped they'd mature a bit with this one.  I'll reserve judgement, though, until I actually hear it.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #510 on: October 31, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »
Well, I've heard 11 DT albums and only 2 by Haken. If they can keep it up they could easily be a greater band than DT. I want to see what they can come up with after these two masterpieces they have created.
Yeah I think it is a bit hard to compare the two at this point.  I'm not "worshiping" Haken's music the way I might have DTs music when I&W and Awake were released.  But Haken does give me that excitement of seeing a band earlier in their career and seeing what they'll create from here on out like DT 19 years ago.   Then again music isn't the only thing I'm passionate about these days, so that is probably part of it too.

In any case I really like Visions.  I've been listening to it almost non-stop over the last week.  I think it is a solid album.  I don't really mind the lyrics like others do. 

My only real complaint is the album almost has too many x/8 time signatures.   Don't get me wrong, I do love 6/8, 7/8, whatever, but so few of the songs have anything that is in 4/4.  It just feels a little odd to me.  The more I've dug into the album, the less of an issue it has become, but it was definitely something I felt from the first few listens.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #511 on: November 01, 2011, 08:57:26 AM »
I think it's a little premature to compare the two bands, especially since the very existence of bands like Haken wouldn't be possible if Dream Theater hadn't ever been around. I personally prefer ADTOE to Visions myself (neither are my progressive metal CDs of the year, to be honest, since that's a pier six brawl between Symphony X and Arch/Matheos.) The thing about Haken is that they execute progressive metal incredibly well, but they're hardly, for lack of a better word, innovative. They're resolutely a progressive metal band. I don't mean to insult Haken, because they're INCREDIBLE, but I understand why people can call them prog by numbers. They sort of ARE, they just do it exceptionally well.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jsem

« Reply #512 on: November 01, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Visions and ADTOE are at about the same level for me.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #513 on: November 01, 2011, 09:57:08 AM »
They're resolutely a progressive metal band. I don't mean to insult Haken, because they're INCREDIBLE, but I understand why people can call them prog by numbers. They sort of ARE, they just do it exceptionally well.

I disagree, they they the first prog metal band I can listen to consistently outside of Dream Theater. Redemption are a distant, distant third, and nothing else is anywhere near close.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: November 01, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
I've now heard the album twice and I think it's definitely a step in the right direction on all fronts.  They've improved everything.  Production values are better than the first one, the songs are better, the instrumentation is better.  I really like it!  The first album showed potential, but I thought it maybe lacked a bit of focus.  This one really flows nicely.

Lyrically, it seems fine to me.  This one's definitely going to get a lot of spins.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: November 01, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
Yeah, I like the lyrics as well. Ross may *occasionally* stink it up as a singer (usually just live), but he also writes all the lyrics and vocal melodies (according to the booklet of Aquarius, anyway), which are for the most part exceptional. And, c'mon, Aquarius was about a mermaid, which definitely isn't standard prog-metal fare  :biggrin: The concept of Visions is a bit more cliche, but not totally. I can see how the references to alternate realities, dreaming, and so-on seem generic, but once you start putting the story together I think you'll see that it really does offer some surprises that make for great twists.

If you didn't like Aquarius, though, I can't imagine you liking Visions. Rumby, I think you're looking for the wrong things from this band. People like them specifically because of the reasons you seem not to. They *are* as :traditional prog-metal" as it gets, especially Visions (Aquarius was more diverse), but people like them because they perceive them as a band "getting the genre right" in a sea of lame DT-copy bands. That's what it was for me, anyway. People who've drifted from the genre completely aren't going to like it, I don't think.

FWIW, I still recommend Aquarius over this. Both are good, but after listening to this for a solid week I feel like parts of it drag and the thrills have worn-off. Flash-back into Aquarius, and I felt like I was still discovering the band's secrets a month in.

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #516 on: November 08, 2011, 07:27:37 AM »
Wanna see a music video I did for the whole 22min "Visions" epic ?  ;)

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pAtQZHExZ4

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: November 08, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »
That was pretty cool. What inspired you to make this?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #518 on: November 08, 2011, 10:53:41 AM »
Thanks !
Well I kept seeing "images" in my head while listening to this track, especially the last 3 minutes..
And then I thought..."would be pretty cool to have a music video for the whole thing !"
Plus a music video for a 20min prog epic to my knowledge hasn't been done often so...I gave it a try ;)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #519 on: November 08, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »
How much of that footage was original and how much of it was nabbed from existing films, etc? It's really cool either way, I'm just curious.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #520 on: November 08, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »
The only original thing is the "I bet you don't remember me" part ( which basically is...my mouth )
Everything else is from movies !

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #521 on: November 08, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
Ah ok, makes sense :lol Still, nicely edited.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #522 on: November 08, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
Nice video!  :tup

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #523 on: November 09, 2011, 11:41:05 AM »
I came across the video via the band's facebook page, and thought it was really good work. Good choices+splicing!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #524 on: November 09, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »
This album does nothing for me. Granted, it took Aquarius a year to click, and when it did, it did hard. But nothing on Visions is really all that memorable to me. I've listened to the title track about five times already, and that "I bet you don't, remember me" section is too wacky for me to take the rest of the song's beauty in.

Come back to me in a year, I'll probably love it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.