Author Topic: Official Yes Top 50 Countdown Thread! - #20-18 Revealed!  (Read 5504 times)

Offline jammindude

List sent
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

17 lists in.

Coming down to the wire.

If there are any lingerers, you've got about 12 hours until Sunday morning when I get up and moving - probably around 10 a.m. Pacific time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

Alrighty...17 lists.  A bit disappointing, but ok.  Some preliminary statistics:

- 134 songs received at least one point.

- Song #50 received 140 points; song #51 received 129 points.

- The top 50 features songs from 15 albums.

- There are three ties in the top 50, including one in the top 10.

- 59 songs received zero points.  I'll probably reveal those after the first 25 are revealed (or thereabouts).

- I'm going to try and set the reveals so that I finish on Friday, May 24, which means I'll have a handful of 3-song days.

Shit gets real tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 09:35:24 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I wanted to submit a list, but life has been crazy for the last couple months. Didn't have time to sit down and make a list. :(
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

I think the most shocking stat is that the top 15 are from 15 different albums.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

I'm absolutely stunned by that fact. That means only one song from Close to the edge made it into the top fifteen.  :omg:

Offline Animal

I was also stunned until I realized that it is much more likely that Paul simply made a typo (typing 15 instead of 50) than it being actually true. But if it is indeed true, then count me shocked as well.

I mean, for example, CTTE making top 15 and "And You and I" not alone would seem highly improbable. But for that statement to be true, this would also mean that only one song from classics-packed albums like Fragile, TYA or GFTO made the Top 15. Plus, the fact that many lists are likely to ignore 90s and later Yes production completely and focus on 1970s heavily. All these combined add up to a probability so low that even the proposition that Mirror in the Sky is gonna be the most commercially and artistically successful Yes album ever almost seems more likely.

Offline Animal

That's what I'm here for, exploring new music, rediscovering old music, and the discussion.  I don't hate countdowns, roulettes, rankings, whatever; I just think that they are largely a waste of time if they don't lead to any discussion.  I don't care if 78% of people like this song; I want to know why.  The solo?  The lyrics?  The arrangement?  What am I missing?  Sometimes I can't put my finger on why I don't like a song, but it may be that I've missed something important, or misunderstood what it's about, and I want to know what that is.  Conversely, if there's a song or album that I really like, I want to share why that is, for anyone who cares to listen.

But this is exactly what countdowns typically lead to - new discussion. Ranking songs may seem a bit odd, since it's impossible to truly rank intangibles. But the discussion that is sparked up as the songs are revealed does exactly what you mentioned in the highlighted part.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I'm with you Animal; the "list" part is sort of secondary; it's the cost of admission for what I think is going to be an excellent discussion about why people like certain songs/albums.   I know that Yes is one of my favorite bands, and yet I always wondered why Close To The Edge got such regard; I mean, it's a great record, no doubt, but I think I had it at number four on my album list.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
But this is exactly what countdowns typically lead to - new discussion. Ranking songs may seem a bit odd, since it's impossible to truly rank intangibles. But the discussion that is sparked up as the songs are revealed does exactly what you mentioned in the highlighted part.

Sometimes.  But half the posts around here seem to just be people giving the top ten songs or albums, and nothing else.  I've joined countdown threads and tried to spark discussion as results were revealed, and usually nothing happened.  The next batch of results came out.  The most common comments seemed to be "Oh, that's surprising.  I had it higher" or "Oh, that's surprising. I had it lower."  I'm hoping for more this time.

Offline romdrums

I think that, due to the nature of Yes's music, that we will see more discussion than what you mentioned above, Orbert. Yes has made some of the most essential music of all time, in my opinion, and have also made some truly god-awful garbage. One man's trash is another man's treasure, so I'm really interested to see who puts Circus of Heaven or Arriving UFO in their top 50 while leaving out something like Heart of the Sunrise or The Gates of Delirium. Seeing Stadler's album breakdown, I'm really curious to know why he put all 6 songs of Drama in his top 50, but only 2 of 3 from Close to the Edge!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Well, as I said, I'm hoping for more discussion this time.  Yes is my favorite band, but after so many years I feel like I've said everything I have to say about them and started repeating myself a long time ago, so I'm more curious about what others have to say.

Offline DTA

I think that, due to the nature of Yes's music, that we will see more discussion than what you mentioned above, Orbert. Yes has made some of the most essential music of all time, in my opinion, and have also made some truly god-awful garbage. One man's trash is another man's treasure, so I'm really interested to see who puts Circus of Heaven or Arriving UFO in their top 50 while leaving out something like Heart of the Sunrise or The Gates of Delirium. Seeing Stadler's album breakdown, I'm really curious to know why he put all 6 songs of Drama in his top 50, but only 2 of 3 from Close to the Edge!

I can't speak for others, but for myself, I never judge an artists' catalog based on what their perceived "classic" albums are, rather than which ones emotionally connect with me more. The Yes Album is highly regarded, but I can honestly say I've had more personal connection to songs on say, Union or Big Generator, than TYA, yet I know at least 3-4 TYA songs will probably be within the top 20 of this list and those Union songs will be nowhere. That's what frustrates me about these rankings, but also what excites me about them - when a random song from Magnification or The Ladder makes it past a song regarded as a classic. I'm looking forward to seeing what obscure songs make it past the obvious choices.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
That's me.  In fact, more often than not, I DON'T like the "classics".   Deep Purple?  For me, Fireball is a MUCH better record that the "classic", Machine Head.  I take Fragile every day over Close To The Edge, and it's honestly not a close call.

Offline pg1067

I was also stunned until I realized that it is much more likely that Paul simply made a typo (typing 15 instead of 50) than it being actually true. But if it is indeed true, then count me shocked as well.

Yes (literally).  You are correct (and I'll fix that post).  That's what I get for posting at the end of a long weekend while I was paying attention to three different things.

Anyhoo...

How about a 3-fer to get the ball rolling?!

50 Future Times/Rejoice (Tormato – 1)

Appeared on 8 of 17 entries
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 17 (DTwwbwMP)

This is a nice opening number on the nearly universally criticized Tormato.  Not sure it really works as an album opener – especially since it appears to be two separate songs spliced together.  I personally ranked it at #49.

49 Cinema (90125 – 1)

Appeared on 8 of 17 entries
Highest Ranking: 20 (DragonAttack, hefdaddy42)

Now THIS is a song that would have worked really well as an album opener.  It would have worked great as a lead into Owner of a Lonely Heart.  Instead it was used as the opener to side 2 of the album.  Given that it’s nothing but a 2-minute transitional piece, I was a little surprised it made the top 50.

48 City of Love (90125 – 2)

Appeared on 6 of 17 entries
Highest Ranking: 13 (HOF)

It baffles me that this song isn’t more highly regarded (although I wasn’t surprised given how it faired in the survivor a while ago).  The verses are really aggressive with a great vocal performance by Jon Anderson, and the harmony vocals on the prechorus and chorus are (as usual for Yes) top notch.  I had it at #16, and it’s my top-ranked song on 90125.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Let's GOO!!! (Haha)

72 - City Of Love

36 - Cinema
27 - Future Times/Rejoice

City Of Love is great, but it's overshadowed by the rest of the album, and I think one of things you cite - the heaviness of the verses - is the part I like least.   It plods in a way NOTHING ELSE on 90210 does. 

Cinema:  I LOVE that song.  Fun fact, when I was a senior in high school, I had the job of creating the entrance tape for my varsity hockey team.  We took the ice to "Cinema" then warmed up to "All Hell's Breaking Loose" by Kiss. It might be a singular thing, but stepping on to the ice to Cinema was an incredible experience for me.   Rumor is there's a longer version (NOT the "Don't Give In"/"Make It Easy" demo version from 90124) and I'd love to hear all of that someday.

Future Times/Rejoice:  I'm one of the few that LOVE Tomato (I just hate certain songs) and that's one of the reasons I do like it so much.   I love Jon's vocal on that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 10:50:04 AM by Stadler »

Offline romdrums

50. Future Times/Rejoice (NR). Tormato is just a weird album to me. It perplexes me that they followed the largely brilliant Going For The One with such a miss. I think I've only listened to this song once in the last 25 years, maybe twice, and it's just kinda there for me.

49. Cinema (33). Great little instrumental. I love Trevor's lead work on this, and the final part with the vocal "Oohs" really gets me. Plus, this is fun to play on drums! Wish it had a little more meat to it, but I think it works well as an intro into side 2 and the vocal overload that is "Leave It."

48. City of Love (52). Just missed my top 50, and probably should have made it in hindsight. One of the heaviest Yes songs, and a great example of how powerful the Rabin/Squire/White rhythm section was. Kinda wish they had the impetus to form a power trio side project and write a balls out rock record. Anderson does some great vocal work on this song as well.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Mladen

Here we go!  :tup

I'm not the biggest fan of 90125, but City of love is one of the tracks I enjoy. It's fairly heavy and the chorus is catchy. However, it wasn't enough to crack my top 50.

Cinema is one of those songs that I was never too crazy about. It's fine, but not particularly memorable.

And then, that opening track on Tormato is kind of a dud. They've had such a stretch of amazing album openers, and I can only imagine what it was like putting on Tormato back in the day and hearing... that.

So yeah, I didn't rank any of these.  ;D

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
I didn't rank of these either :) I do like Cinema, though
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Cinema is so tasty for me, I really appreciate that one.

The other two don't do much for me, so I didn't rank either of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DTA

I did not rank any of these, though City of Love is great. I like this sort of heavy, slow groove and wish they would've tapped into that more.

Cinema is a throwaway for me, though I would've liked to hear the initial proposed side-long epic that it was a part of.

Future Times/Rejoice is ok, but just feels kinda stupid. I don't know what it is - it feels infantile compared to stuff like Awaken and Turn of the Century one year before. I don't hate it, but it's never one I seek out to listen to.

Offline pg1067

I always felt that City was heavy without plodding.  That said, I think the 9012Live version kicks the studio version's ass.

Funnily enough, I hear Future Times/Rejoice more than I want because, when my nearly 20-year old iPod in my car glitches out, it reverts to that song for some reason.

Offline Dittomist

Future Times/ Rejoice- I had this at #30. It's a fun opener for such a quirky album. The first half of the song is so much better though.

Cinema- Didn't quite make the cut for me, but it's a cool song.

City of Love- This is one of the most rocking Yes songs ever, and I put in the #23 slot. It really should have been released as a single! For all you runners out there, I highly recommend putting it on your race playlist because it's as effective an energy gel.

Online HOF

Future Times/Rejoice - 32

- I like this song and Tormato well enough. It’s very much the type of music I picture when I think of Yes (probably because my older brother had this album growing up). It’s a bit on the silly side so not my favorite thing by them, but it’s fine!

Cinema - DNR

- I probably unfairly hold it against this song that it is a live recording in the midst of a studio masterpiece of unparalleled sound quality/design. It just always felt out of place and I always skip it. If I listened to it for its own sake I'd probably like it, but I can't remember how it goes! Only song from this album that I didn't rank.

City of Love - 13

- Not surprised I guess that I'm the highest on this one, but it's always felt very underrated. It hits hard as Yes goes, and I have just always loved the feel/groove/rhythm of it. Some really great heavy guitar work by Rabin, and kind of a Bonham drum groove with that huge drum sound. Love that chorus especially. Lyrics are pretty dark and maybe that's a bit off putting, but musically I think it is really great.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't create a list because, at most, I know a handful of Yes songs. I'll follow this list and post my thoughts as I listen to the songs.

Future Times/Rejoice - The melody and the vocals are cool but that shrill guitar tone is not for me. Wasn't a fan

Cinema - Not what I expected but a cool little tune.

City Of Love - Big fan of this song, gave it a couple spins already and will make one of my Spotify playliats. It's got a good groove and great vocals.

• DTF.org Member
Nothing from Tormato would have made my list. That album is just.....not good. The fact that it's sandwiched between 2 brilliant albums is kind of crazy.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online HOF

Nothing from Tormato would have made my list. That album is just.....not good. The fact that it's sandwiched between 2 brilliant albums is kind of crazy.

I think Tormato is a significantly better album than Going for the One.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

What did I ever do to you?   

:) :) :) :) :)

(I'm sure you know by now, but GFTO is my favorite record of all time by any band, and I was lucky enough to get to tell Mr. Anderson that.)

• DTF.org Member
There's a hot take!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online HOF

What did I ever do to you?   

:) :) :) :) :)

(I'm sure you know by now, but GFTO is my favorite record of all time by any band, and I was lucky enough to get to tell Mr. Anderson that.)

Ha! Yeah I know you and many other love it. I think every time I hear anyone talk about Yes they rave about GFTO being their favorite. Pretty sure I’ve heard both Steven Wilson and Greg Spawton (Big Big Train) say that recently (people who's musical opinions I respect - yours included!). To me there is one tremendous track on it and nothing else memorable. I think maybe I would have just had to have been there.

• DTF.org Member
I also have a hot take. Drama is the best Yes album. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Ha! Yeah I know you and many other love it. I think every time I hear anyone talk about Yes they rave about GFTO being their favorite. Pretty sure I’ve heard both Steven Wilson and Greg Spawton (Big Big Train) say that recently (people who's musical opinions I respect - yours included!). To me there is one tremendous track on it and nothing else memorable. I think maybe I would have just had to have been there.

We'll get there, I know, but the generally regarded "tremendous track" (and I talked with Jon about this; he claimed to have been listening to the orchestral parts days before I met him) isn't even the best song on the record; IMO it's a hot mess compared to the beautiful and almost perfectly composed "other" song on the record, with a similar theme.

Online HOF

I also have a hot take. Drama is the best Yes album. :corn

I do appreciate Drama, oddball album that it is and all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Number three on my Yes album ranking.  Fragile was #2.

Offline pg1067

Future Times/ Rejoice- I had this at #30. It's a fun opener for such a quirky album. The first half of the song is so much better though.

I always refresh myself on these songs before I post them.  There's such a clear cut off where the "Future Times" part ends, and they really would have been better off leaving it as a 4:05 song without the "Rejoice" section.

City of Love - 13

- Not surprised I guess that I'm the highest on this one, but it's always felt very underrated. It hits hard as Yes goes, and I have just always loved the feel/groove/rhythm of it. Some really great heavy guitar work by Rabin, and kind of a Bonham drum groove with that huge drum sound. Love that chorus especially. Lyrics are pretty dark and maybe that's a bit off putting, but musically I think it is really great.

It's one of those songs where the music and lyrics just connect so well!

the generally regarded "tremendous track" (and I talked with Jon about this; he claimed to have been listening to the orchestral parts days before I met him) isn't even the best song on the record; IMO it's a hot mess compared to the beautiful and almost perfectly composed "other" song on the record, with a similar theme.

A bit of hyperbole?

I've never done any in-depth reading about the circumstances that led to that album, but it's a very hit and miss album for me.  I had three songs in my top 20, and the other three didn't make my top 50.