Author Topic: If James Labrie left DT, who would you like to see fill his place as vocalist?  (Read 21876 times)

Offline fibreoptix

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline Chico

JBL leaving? ARE YOU TAKING THE FUCKING PISS?

He sticks those fingers in your ass.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
JBL leaving? ARE YOU TAKING THE FUCKING PISS?

Based on your use of colloquialisms I can deduce that you're...............german?

Oh oh, are you French?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chucke

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:30:49 PM by chucke »

Offline robk33

Russell Allen - Symphony X
Darroh Sudderth -  Fair to Midland

and for a one year tour prior to naming the official vocalist

Tarja Turunen - formerly of Nightwish

Offline Deadpool

• Formerly CountVoorhees
  • KrotchRaut Rules!

Offline nikostheater

I don't think that there is a singer anywhere capable of replacing JLB in Dream Theater.His voice is pretty much the signature of the band.
There are examples of bands replacingg vocalists and doing good or better (Black Sabbath comes to mind,Ozzy being replaces by Dio for example) but this stunt rarely works and i don't think DT is the kind of the band to mess with a winning formula like that.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
Pretty simple question, can't go into detail much further lol.

This makes me nervous.  What do you know/are planning?

Anything to do with this?

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=163486
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline PersianPimp076

Charlie Dominici

no, but seriously

Dave mustaine

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
JLB Clone/Evil Twin

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Didn't we just have a thread like this?  I'll post my top 5 again.

1.  Ray Alder
2.  Ray Alder
3.  Ray Alder
4.  Ray Alder
5.  Ray Alder
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline John94

If James LaBrie left Dream Theater, I'd want Dream Theater to retire.

Same here.  I cannot possibly imagine Dream Theater with another singer.

I agree. Drummers, keyboards, guitarists can come and go as they please but to me, James IS Dream Theater, he is the person telling us the "story." James can't be replaced in my eyes and I am extremely grateful he is still raaaaawking with DT.  :yarr

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Like many others here, I will be content if

JAMES. IS. THE. LAAAAAAAAAAST

singer Dream Theater ever has.

Offline jcmistat

Russell Allen but he would never leave SX to be with DT.

But I agree with the ones who say that without James I think DT should call it quits.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline 1neeto

I just can't imagine DT without James. I know that many make fun of his singing and his range is not tw greatest, but he is the "theater" in Dream Theater. He does a great job for someone that wasn't supposed to be able to sing anymore. Him out of DT would be like a Metallica without James Hetfield.

But if there was no James, then I would agree with the OP's choice of MJK. His amazing voice combined with his intricate lyric writing and phrasing would be a great asset to DT. But in reality that relationship would never work. Maynard is too weird and eccentric for the down to earth DT guys. Plus when it comes to lyrics it's his way or the highway, and I'm sure that would not sit right with JP.

As for Mikael Akerfeldt, I can't see him outside of Opeth, there would be a songwriting conflict that would not work.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline i am fabio

Somebody with a moody versatile tone...I'd say Roy Khan or Ray Alder in the Redemption Era.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Like many others here, I will be content if

JAMES. IS. THE. LAAAAAAAAAAST

singer Dream Theater ever has.

Agreed.  JLB is not my favorite member of the band, but he and JP are irrreplaceable.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
At this point I don't think any member of the band is replaceable. There not really many people in the world that can do what any of the members can do. James' style is very unique, Jordan is arguably the best keyboard player in the world, JP also has a wicked style for odd time signatures, MM is the worlds fastest drummer, JM is maybe the only replaceable one. JM is often long in the mix and no longer leads, he more-or-less follows along.

Offline Vajra

I don't see why you guys would want DT to quit if James left the band. There's plenty of great singers out there that can do the band justice, and the fact is, the band will be able to create the same great music that they always have. James is my favorite singer (along with a few others) but even with that being said, I'd still want DT to continue making music if he left the band. It would suck without him, but as long as the band finds a good singer that works with the music, and the band continues to make great stuff, I'll be happy.

Offline Adami

It's hard for me to take a band that changes members that much seriously.

It's hard to take Iced Earth seriously, Stratovarius, Kamelot, etc. If the band only has 1 member that needs to stay, then it's hard for me to care about that band unless it becomes a solo project. Hell it's hard to even take Pain of Salvation seriously anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gm5k

Do you guys really think JP would let DT die if JLB quit,etc?  I think that's underestimating JP in a lot of ways...

Surprised to see so many people in favor of DT ending if JLB left...and like I've said before, I'm a HUGE JLB fan.

Offline raygun47

Do you guys really think JP would let DT die if JLB quit,etc?  I think that's underestimating JP in a lot of ways...

Surprised to see so many people in favor of DT ending if JLB left...and like I've said before, I'm a HUGE JLB fan.

My personal belief was they wouldn't continue if any of the current members left...and that turned out wrong.  Especially considering the one who left and was replaced...my guess is that there would be a replacement.  I'm also a fan of James.  I'm a fan of the guy off-stage as well, as he was pretty cool to me and a friend post gig in Chicago (Rosemont). 

I'm not certain who would replace him, but oddly...and I hadn't thought about this before...the one person I COULD see several replacement options for was Mike.  Then John Myung, then when you get to John Petrucci and James...I draw a blank.  Who would be willing?  My guess is that in James' case it would be an unknown.  They'd go with someone basically unknown.  John Petrucci.  He might not be replaceable.

Offline Lionheart1827

Tommy Karevik from Seventh Wonder or Russell Allen. Although I'd hate to see them leave their respective bands.

Offline dongringo

.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline 1neeto

It's hard for me to take a band that changes members that much seriously.

It's hard to take Iced Earth seriously, Stratovarius, Kamelot, etc. If the band only has 1 member that needs to stay, then it's hard for me to care about that band unless it becomes a solo project. Hell it's hard to even take Pain of Salvation seriously anymore.

Opeth changes band members more often than they change guitar strings and they're one of my all time favorite bands and will always take them seriously. The loss of Martin Lopez was hard to take but they still kick ass.

Can't wait for their new album it should come in my mailbox tomorrow!

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes but as much as I love Opeth, it has always been as much about MA as PT has been about Steven Wilson.  And DT about JP.  Some members cannot be replaced.

Offline gm5k

Re: If James Labrie left DT, who would you like to see fill his place as vocalist?
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
John Petrucci.  He might not be replaceable.

Others will disagree, but IMO he's the only one that's irreplaceable.

Offline Adami

Re: If James Labrie left DT, who would you like to see fill his place as vocalist?
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »
See, to me a band isn't just 1 guy and a bunch of other people who can come and go without much of a difference being made.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
DT - JP = fail.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2011, 05:34:56 AM »
A DT without JLB... that would be a joke...  :lol

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2011, 05:44:01 AM »
JLB is the voice of DT.......here end of lesson !