Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 127792 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Playoff Time!!
« Reply #2310 on: January 12, 2020, 06:18:09 PM »
Looks like the refs have changed from Seahawks jerseys to Packers jerseys.  ::)
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2311 on: January 12, 2020, 06:54:11 PM »
You guys catch Spirit Of Radio going to the break after the Lockett TD?

Oh, and why not go for 2 and make it a 10 point deficit?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2312 on: January 12, 2020, 06:57:05 PM »
Someone in the NFL in a big position is a Rush fan.  Heartwarming. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2313 on: January 12, 2020, 06:59:27 PM »
I have GMF on right now, and they have a Rush book on the table in one of the shots.

They’ve also played Rush songs before commercial breaks at least once in each of the games this weekend.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2314 on: January 12, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
Well, defense screwed that up.

Good game though, knew it'd be a rough game.

Now for the Niners to beat the Packs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2315 on: January 12, 2020, 08:07:07 PM »
Packers just held on.

I think the Titans at Chiefs will be a good game.

I prefer the 49ers over the Packers, but I'll be pulling for either AFC team over either NFC team.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2316 on: January 12, 2020, 08:19:50 PM »
You know, if Carroll let Russell Wilson play 4 quarters the Seahawks probably win. Guy is just determined to run that prehistoric offense. And #17 for the Seahawks is a giant douche for dropping that pass. Oh well, go Packers.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2317 on: January 12, 2020, 08:40:56 PM »
The stadium also played Alice In Chains during the first quarter haha.

Yea D wasn't good enough.  I'm hoping for Pack vs. Titans.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: January 12, 2020, 08:46:42 PM »
Whatever SB matchup we ultimately get, it will easily be the least interesting one for me since XLIV (Saints/Colts) or maybe even XLI (Colts/Bears).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2319 on: January 12, 2020, 09:16:08 PM »
Ok, I only missed one of my predictions that round (Baltimore). Let's see how I do for the rest...

Niners over Packers (duh)

And this one I think will be a 'last possession' game, but Chefs over Titans

And for the SB, Niners over Chefs (great googly moogly)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2320 on: January 12, 2020, 09:29:08 PM »
We are going to get a rematch of SBI, and KC will win its first SB in 50 years.

Calling it now.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: January 12, 2020, 11:44:08 PM »
Pretty cool Jimmy Johnson moment at halftime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HPajoFbOJA&t
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2322 on: January 13, 2020, 12:18:07 AM »

I enjoyed that.  He was clearly moved, and the cut to Troy Aikman was powerful enough that I got choked up. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2323 on: January 13, 2020, 09:29:48 AM »
And here's hoping they don't.  Not a fan.  Don't like Reid, don't like Mahomes - that stupid smile when a flag goes down is getting old fast - and don't particularly care for Kelce.   

I like Romo a lot - one of my favorite announcers right now - but I'm probably turning the sound off after this commercial, because I'm just soooooo tired of Jim Nance fellating Mahomes.  The Texans have the ball, Watson is moving the offense, and he's yammering on about Mahomes.

On another note, what are the chances that Deshaun Watson ends up in New England if and when Tom decides he needs to sow oats elsewhere?

Man Stads I agree with you on almost everything, but Mahomes is the man. Not only does he throw the prettiest ball ever, he seems like a genuinely good person and leader. Why wouldn't he smile if he get's a flag. It's good for his team!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2324 on: January 13, 2020, 09:50:34 AM »
Patriots fans are literally the only people on earth who don’t like Mahomes.

Bill O’Brien HAS to be fired. And I know it will never happen, but Pete Carroll has to be fired too for always holding back his best player until he’s down 3 scores.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2325 on: January 13, 2020, 10:21:20 AM »
I love Mahomes!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2326 on: January 13, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »

Bill O’Brien HAS to be fired. And I know it will never happen, but Pete Carroll has to be fired too for always holding back his best player until he’s down 3 scores.

The Carroll/Wilson situation reminds of the Reeves/Elway one in Denver in the 80's.  Keeps the shackles on the stud QB for most of the game, but takes them off at the end when you have no other choice. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

As for Mahomes, some (see: SOME) Patriots fans over the years have hated ANY QB compared to TB12.  For years, it was Peyton Manning. Then he retired, and A. Rodgers was hyped as the best QB, so the hate came flying in for him.  And then last year the hate for Mahomes kicked in because of how awesome he is and how much (deserved) hype he got.  Heck, I am a Broncos fan and should hate everything about the KC Chiefs, but I can't hate Mahomes; he is just too fun to watch.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2327 on: January 13, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »
I haven't really seen that, but what do I know. With Manning there was a legitimate Colts-Patriots rivalry, so it only makes sense to take issue with Manning. Personally, once he got past his choking phases, I generally regarded Manning as the better QB. I never hated the guy outside of wanting him to lose. It really wasn't until the latter years, when Manning started to suck at the same time Brady was consistently taking over games that my calculus changed. I don't hate St. Rodgers. I was just annoyed that he was essentially designated the new Jesus before he actually did anything. And like you said, Mahomes is too much fun to watch for me to hate. It's just that, like Jackson, he needs to do this for a while before I'll really think all that highly of him. So far there's only been one Brett Favre.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2328 on: January 13, 2020, 11:24:12 AM »
This week:
Packers at 49ers
Titans at Chiefs
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2329 on: January 13, 2020, 11:58:05 AM »

I caught that live.  My first thought that it was pretty cheesy, but then I changed my mind after seeing how choked up JJ was (and yes, the cut to Aikman was very cool).  I heard they did something similar with Bill Cowher on whatever network he's on, but I didn't see it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2330 on: January 13, 2020, 12:00:11 PM »

The Carroll/Wilson situation reminds of the Reeves/Elway one in Denver in the 80's.  Keeps the shackles on the stud QB for most of the game, but takes them off at the end when you have no other choice. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

As for Mahomes, some (see: SOME) Patriots fans over the years have hated ANY QB compared to TB12.  For years, it was Peyton Manning. Then he retired, and A. Rodgers was hyped as the best QB, so the hate came flying in for him.  And then last year the hate for Mahomes kicked in because of how awesome he is and how much (deserved) hype he got.  Heck, I am a Broncos fan and should hate everything about the KC Chiefs, but I can't hate Mahomes; he is just too fun to watch.

Peyton and Brady was a head to head thing in their prime.I never hated him but loved to see him fail.  Just like other fans like to see Brady fail.  I get that.

Now Mahomes?  I have not heard one New Englander (where I live) hate on him.  We are scared of him.  Extreme talent.   Besides.  We hate other players on that team. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #2331 on: January 13, 2020, 12:14:28 PM »
Loooooooong-time Titans/Oilers die-hard here.  Been a fan ever since Thanksgiving Day 1988 (vs. Dallas), when I first saw the team on TV, led by (the incredible) Warren Moon and then-coach Jerry Glanville's "Red Gun" offense.  Prior to that day I had no favorite NFL team, and despite living in Southern California, it was Oiler (and later Titan) Blue from that day forward.

Though there have been some highlights, it has NOT been easy being a Titans fan over the years.  Lots of disappointments, lots of blown opportunities, lots of bad luck (Titans win 3 games in 2 years, yet Colts have ONE bad year with Peyton Manning hurt and get to draft Andrew Luck as his replacement... things like that have been unbelievably unjust/unfair).  Lots of mediocrity.  And some downright AWFUL years too.  And when the Titans HAVE been good (or even really good)... nobody cares.  Small market team, not flashy style, never on national TV, etc. (seriously, I NEVER get to see them live because I have to stream every game after-the-fact with GamePass), announcers literally not knowing the players' names (or how to pronounce them), pro-bowl snubs, no team gear in stores, etc.  So "my team" is a perennial afterthought- no one watches them and everyone is stunned whenever they do anything.  I literally only know one other fan- my younger brother (who chose them as his team too because I did way back when).

So...
I am loving this stretch.  Just enjoying each week for what it is.  No smack talk, no hype, no proclamations that the Titans will win it all, no chest-thumping, no counting any unhatched chickens, etc.  Not my style, and not the team's style.  I've been burned way too many times as a fan, and the team has blown their own foot off more times than I can count.

BUT- it also wouldn't surprise me if the Titans do go all the way.  The team is clearly capable of beating ANYONE, and has a very good track record in recent years of doing so (their losses are usually at the hands of bad/terrible teams).  They are literally built for a stretch run like this.  It is lots of fun to see the rest of fandom (and analysts, talking heads, etc.) who have spent the vast majority of my entire football-following life talking about anyone other than my team, suddenly have MY TEAM thrust in front of their eyeballs.  Not in a cocky way- just finally getting to claim my small share of the joy and excitement (and spotlight!) that "everyone else" (ok, except maybe Browns fans) have gotten to experience multiple times (and some of you an embarrassingly disproportionately high number of times) over the years.

So, enjoy the last 3 games, everyone.  4 really good teams left.  I honestly like my Titans against any of 'em.  But it's all gravy from here anyway.  I'm excited to see how it plays out, and tip my hat to whoever comes out on top.

Go Titans!

(PS- Derrick Henry is literally a man among boys, and I LOVE watching him do his thing.  Win or lose, this is special stuff.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2332 on: January 13, 2020, 12:15:19 PM »

Has NOTHING to do with "Patriots", or "TB12" or whatever.   There are plenty of QBs I like and of whom I sing the praises - Brees, Watson, Garoppolo, Mayfield (someday, potentially), Bridgewater, Manning (for his career, not now), Jones (someday, potentially), Trubiskey (someday, potentially), Rodgers, Hill, Wilson. 

This also applies to NON-QBs.   There are plenty of non-quarterbacks that get lauded as the "next LT", or the "next Emmett Smith", and when the hype and hyperbole settle back down - and guys like Belichick, Phillips, Spagnuolo, Crennel, Martindale have a crack at 'em - we realize they are one of many, many, many hundreds of good players that have played in the league.  Coaches, too:  Sean McVay (I'm sure there are some here that would put Sean Payton in that room as well).  Le'veon Bell got ahead of his skiis, wanted to be "paid", and found out that it takes a village.  That's not exactly Mahomes, but it's the same idea.   And the Nance's and Tessitore's of the world don't help that.   I get that they are tasked with building energy and excitement in the games they are broadcasting, but it's getting ridiculous at times. 

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2333 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:16 PM »
This week:
Packers at 49ers
Titans at Chiefs

Packers at 49ers
Titans at Chiefs

Just happy there are some different teams in the mix
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2334 on: January 13, 2020, 12:39:41 PM »
This week:
Packers at 49ers
Titans at Chiefs

The Joe Montana Super Bowl.  I'd watch that.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2335 on: January 13, 2020, 02:23:36 PM »
Here's a baffling statement about Aaron Rodgers:
In terms of statistics, ability and sheer ways he can, and often does, beat opponents, there is a reasonable case to be made that Rodgers is the greatest quarterback, or certainly among the greatest, to ever play in the NFL.

Source:  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/green-bay-aaron-rodgers-greatest-qb-last-shot-super-bowl-043859742.html

Rodgers, as "greatest quarterback . . . to ever play in the NFL?"  Really?  He's not even the best to play since the time he entered the league, let alone ignoring guys like Montana.  I don't think he can credibly be put in front of Brady, Payton Manning, or Brees.  He's arguably somewhere in the pool with guys like Eli, Big Ben, Favre, and Rivers (although I wouldn't object to placing him at the top of that list).  But greatest ever?  ???  As much as I like the Packers and Rodgers, and I respect his incredible abilities, I don't know how that writer could say that with a straight face.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2336 on: January 13, 2020, 02:30:18 PM »
In terms of statistics, ability and sheer ways he can, and often does, beat opponents, there is a reasonable case to be made that Rodgers is the greatest quarterback, or certainly among the greatest, to ever play in the NFL.

Source:  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/green-bay-aaron-rodgers-greatest-qb-last-shot-super-bowl-043859742.html

Rodgers, as "greatest quarterback . . . to ever play in the NFL?"  Really?  He's not even the best to play since the time he entered the league, let alone ignoring guys like Montana.  I don't think he can credibly be put in front of Brady, Payton Manning, or Brees.  He's arguably somewhere in the pool with guys like Eli, Big Ben, Favre, and Rivers (although I wouldn't object to placing him at the top of that list).  But greatest ever?  ???  As much as I like the Packers and Rodgers, and I respect his incredible abilities, I don't know how that writer could say that with a straight face.

Yeah....he's really good and has had some great moments but 'greatest ever' isn't even remotely close......especially since John Elway holds that title  :biggrin:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2337 on: January 13, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »
Rodgers....a great QB, and definitely the greatest Hail Mary QB of all time.  I'll stop there.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2338 on: January 13, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »
Loooooooong-time Titans/Oilers die-hard here.  Been a fan ever since Thanksgiving Day 1988 (vs. Dallas), when I first saw the team on TV, led by (the incredible) Warren Moon and then-coach Jerry Glanville's "Red Gun" offense.  Prior to that day I had no favorite NFL team, and despite living in Southern California, it was Oiler (and later Titan) Blue from that day forward.

Though there have been some highlights, it has NOT been easy being a Titans fan over the years.  Lots of disappointments, lots of blown opportunities, lots of bad luck (Titans win 3 games in 2 years, yet Colts have ONE bad year with Peyton Manning hurt and get to draft Andrew Luck as his replacement... things like that have been unbelievably unjust/unfair).  Lots of mediocrity.  And some downright AWFUL years too.  And when the Titans HAVE been good (or even really good)... nobody cares.  Small market team, not flashy style, never on national TV, etc. (seriously, I NEVER get to see them live because I have to stream every game after-the-fact with GamePass), announcers literally not knowing the players' names (or how to pronounce them), pro-bowl snubs, no team gear in stores, etc.  So "my team" is a perennial afterthought- no one watches them and everyone is stunned whenever they do anything.  I literally only know one other fan- my younger brother (who chose them as his team too because I did way back when).

So...
I am loving this stretch.  Just enjoying each week for what it is.  No smack talk, no hype, no proclamations that the Titans will win it all, no chest-thumping, no counting any unhatched chickens, etc.  Not my style, and not the team's style.  I've been burned way too many times as a fan, and the team has blown their own foot off more times than I can count.

BUT- it also wouldn't surprise me if the Titans do go all the way.  The team is clearly capable of beating ANYONE, and has a very good track record in recent years of doing so (their losses are usually at the hands of bad/terrible teams).  They are literally built for a stretch run like this.  It is lots of fun to see the rest of fandom (and analysts, talking heads, etc.) who have spent the vast majority of my entire football-following life talking about anyone other than my team, suddenly have MY TEAM thrust in front of their eyeballs.  Not in a cocky way- just finally getting to claim my small share of the joy and excitement (and spotlight!) that "everyone else" (ok, except maybe Browns fans) have gotten to experience multiple times (and some of you an embarrassingly disproportionately high number of times) over the years.

So, enjoy the last 3 games, everyone.  4 really good teams left.  I honestly like my Titans against any of 'em.  But it's all gravy from here anyway.  I'm excited to see how it plays out, and tip my hat to whoever comes out on top.

Go Titans!

(PS- Derrick Henry is literally a man among boys, and I LOVE watching him do his thing.  Win or lose, this is special stuff.)

Nice post! Glad to see a Titans here if only to mix it up a little. :tup :tup

I haven't really seen that, but what do I know. With Manning there was a legitimate Colts-Patriots rivalry, so it only makes sense to take issue with Manning. Personally, once he got past his choking phases, I generally regarded Manning as the better QB. I never hated the guy outside of wanting him to lose. It really wasn't until the latter years, when Manning started to suck at the same time Brady was consistently taking over games that my calculus changed. I don't hate St. Rodgers. I was just annoyed that he was essentially designated the new Jesus before he actually did anything. And like you said, Mahomes is too much fun to watch for me to hate. It's just that, like Jackson, he needs to do this for a while before I'll really think all that highly of him. So far there's only been one Brett Favre.

Rodgers had done plenty when he was "annointed" right after Peyton's retirement - 1 Super Bowl win, 1 Super Bowl MVP, 2 regular season MVP awards.  It just smacks of some fans getting pissy about anyone being compared to their beloved Tom.

Peyton and Brady was a head to head thing in their prime.I never hated him but loved to see him fail.  Just like other fans like to see Brady fail.  I get that.

Now Mahomes?  I have not heard one New Englander (where I live) hate on him.  We are scared of him.  Extreme talent.   Besides.  We hate other players on that team. :lol

And throw beer on them... :P :P

Has NOTHING to do with "Patriots", or "TB12" or whatever.   There are plenty of QBs I like and of whom I sing the praises - Brees, Watson, Garoppolo, Mayfield (someday, potentially), Bridgewater, Manning (for his career, not now), Jones (someday, potentially), Trubiskey (someday, potentially), Rodgers, Hill, Wilson. 

This also applies to NON-QBs.   There are plenty of non-quarterbacks that get lauded as the "next LT", or the "next Emmett Smith", and when the hype and hyperbole settle back down - and guys like Belichick, Phillips, Spagnuolo, Crennel, Martindale have a crack at 'em - we realize they are one of many, many, many hundreds of good players that have played in the league.  Coaches, too:  Sean McVay (I'm sure there are some here that would put Sean Payton in that room as well).  Le'veon Bell got ahead of his skiis, wanted to be "paid", and found out that it takes a village.  That's not exactly Mahomes, but it's the same idea.   And the Nance's and Tessitore's of the world don't help that.   I get that they are tasked with building energy and excitement in the games they are broadcasting, but it's getting ridiculous at times.

The media loves hyperbole for sure, but we've been over this before, and I see nothing wrong with enjoying greatness in the moment even if it turns out to be fleeting.  Heck, Tebow was a total flash in the pan, but I enjoyed the hell out of the latter half of the 2011 season.

I think he is certainly among the all-time greats.  He has won a Super Bowl, he was the MVP in that Super Bowl, he has won multiple regular season MVP awards, and has the stats to back up greatness talk (his TD to INT ratio is borderline ridiculous).  Eli and Ben have more Super Bowls wins than him, but they don't come close to Rodgers on the greatest ever scale, and neither does Rivers, IMO.  Note that Rodgers was one of the 12 honorable mentions on the NFL 100 thing, while those three were not, so the "experts" who came up with that list thought Rodgers was in the 11-22 range all-time.  Of course Namath making the honorable mentions is a joke, but still, Eli, Ben and Rivers were not among the 22 QB's listed, and for good reason.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2339 on: January 13, 2020, 03:31:48 PM »

Rodgers had done plenty when he was "annointed" right after Peyton's retirement - 1 Super Bowl win, 1 Super Bowl MVP, 2 regular season MVP awards.  It just smacks of some fans getting pissy about anyone being compared to their beloved Tom.
Rodgers was anointed the day Favre retired. I've been calling him St. Rodgers for that long based on all of the people who "knew" he was going to be great before he was even the starter. In retrospect the expectations were very well founded. He's lived up to the hype and then some, and while he certainly doesn't sound like my kind of guy (in fact he sounds like a real dick) I've got nothing but respect for him as a quarterback. More than Bosk, apparently.

And for the record, he's not my beloved Tom. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2340 on: January 13, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »
Although he will never be in the same league as Brady when all is said and done, I'm willing to call Rogers a modern great on the condition that Packers fans praise him while finally acknowledging that Favre was the most overrated quarterback in history.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2341 on: January 13, 2020, 04:41:00 PM »
Favre was the most overrated quarterback in history.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I about did a spit-take when I heard the NFL put him in the top 100 list.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2342 on: January 13, 2020, 06:07:25 PM »
Just bear with me on this post a little bit, and then give me some feedback please. I'm aggressively attacking the losing efforts of O'Brien and Carroll. The fact that those guys still have jobs after actively trying and succeeding to lose games yesterday tells me their GMs and owners don't know a lot about football. The fact that the majority of mainstream sports media and a large portion of less-knowledgeable fanbase aren't more up in arms about them tells me we still have a long way to go.

I'll start with Carroll. If you're a great coach, you adopt your game plan based on circumstances. The Seahawks lost all their running backs to injury, so what should the strategy be? Unleash the 2nd best QB in the league from the get-go, or pound a twice-retired guy you hired this week into the teeth of the defense for 1 yard at a time? Yes I know Schottenheimer calls plays. The thing is, Carroll is so frigging stubborn he refuses to change even after the Seahawks fall behind over and over again. NOW THE WORST, BY FAR: the punt late in the fourth quarter. His punt team, if they had any balls, should have mutinied and told him "screw that, let Russ make a play". Of course they never got the ball back. What was Carroll's brilliant strategy? His strategy was "hope" his shitty defense could prevent the opposing HOF QB and his all-world receiver (who had been torching them all game) wouldn't be able to make a first down to run out the clock. His lame excuse of course was that it was 4th and 11. Well, there are plenty of plays in the playbook for 2nd and 11 and 3rd and 11. Why can't you use them on 4th and 11? Just a gutless, pathetic display. I sure would have more faith in Wilson, Lockett and Metcalf making a play then in stopping Rodgers. After the game Carroll said he had no thought about going for it. WTH? You're trying to WIN, not prove your antiquated coaching style is legit. What a douche.

Now O'Brien. He has just a bad of a history as Carroll, and he also has an all-world QB at his disposal. In the first half, we saw him hesitate, panic, then waste a timeout and kick a chicken-shit field goal on 4th and 1 from the 13, already up 21 points. So he increased his lead from 3 possessions to, uh, 3 possessions. He said they 'didn't have a play ready". Well that's a fire-able offense right there. Then later in the half he punted again from KC's side of the field. By the way, Carroll's punt in the 4th quarter reduced their chance of winning the game from like 20% down to 5%. Again, these are the people you are paying huge amounts of money to make winning decisions for your team. If they refuse to move away from a chicken-shit cowardly prehistoric approach to the game then they need to be replaced. Their fan bases deserve better. I'm not even a fan of these teams but I understand their fans' pain because I have to live with Tomlin's crazy inconsistent decision making.

Oh and it's not just me. I could link to several sites excoriating these coaches. One example:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/1/13/21063245/exit-interview-seattle-seahawks-pete-carroll-russell-wilson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2343 on: January 13, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
Rodgers was anointed the day Favre retired. I've been calling him St. Rodgers for that long based on all of the people who "knew" he was going to be great before he was even the starter. In retrospect the expectations were very well founded. He's lived up to the hype and then some, and while he certainly doesn't sound like my kind of guy (in fact he sounds like a real dick) I've got nothing but respect for him as a quarterback. More than Bosk, apparently.

And for the record, he's not my beloved Tom.

I don't think there is any doubt that Rodgers is a major dick.

Favre was the most overrated quarterback in history.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I about did a spit-take when I heard the NFL put him in the top 100 list.

Favre at his best was so great that I suspect the voters overlooked the bad and focused on just the good.  I mean, did anyone other QB win 3 regular season MVP awards in a row?  I know he shared the last one with Barry Sanders, but that was pretty amazing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2344 on: January 13, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »
By the way, apologies to Patriots fans on this board. When I say “Patriots fans” I don’t mean you guys. You guys are knowledgeable and unbiased and level headed. I’m judging too much by the stuff I read on their forum.

I do have a serious question though: if during the past 20 years Belichick had one of either Brees, Manning, or Rodgers do you think he wins the same amount of Super Bowls, fewer, or more? Interesting question because Rodgers at least would have done a better job of eluding the Giants’ pass rush in 2007 and 2011 and making the 1 or 2 necessary plays to take the lead. All 3 were as good as Brady at throwing the ball, and Manning was just as good pre-snap. This isn’t to take anything away from Brady by the way, he played in those games and gave a superior effort most of the time. Just wondering because this is exactly the kind of question that would elicit crazy responses on the pats forum.