Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 127793 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Kroenke's Rams pummeled on their "home" field
« Reply #1820 on: December 09, 2019, 01:03:34 PM »
So, anyone think the 49ers go 14-2?  They are at home against the Falcons and Rams, and then up to Seattle for their final game.  If Seattle loses against either the Panthers or Cardinals, and the 49ers win the next two weeks, the week 17 game becomes irrelevant.

I'm not pissing on your question, because it's relevant and interesting, but I think for me, it's a trap ("It's a TRAP!").   I think the league is in an interesting place now. There are certainly "tiers" of teams - I roughly look at three tiers - but within that, there's a sort of parity in the league.  I think when you look at the top tier teams - SF, KC, NE, Baltimore, NO, Seattle, GB (though I'm not as high on GB as the rest of the group) - any one of those teams can win on any given week, especially in the playoffs.  I can't speak for any one else, but I didn't see Seattle phoning in that game last night.  Not in a million years.  They had every reason, every incentive, to play that game like it was the NFC Championship game, and yet they didn't.  Conversely, I don't think very many people saw yesterday afternoon's game being 23-16.   

That said, I don't see the Seahawks losing to both the Panthers and the Cardinals.  I think in a meaningful game, that week 17 match is going to be as good as any game we saw yesterday.   

I initially didn't see Seattle losing either.  But I heard an analyst on local radio last Friday who changed my mind.  He surprised the three radio hosts by picking the Rams this game in what he characterized as a "classic upset" game.  Within getting into the nitty gritty, his basic premise was that the Rams are healthier now than they have been most of the season, they were embarrassed by the Ravens 2 weeks ago when they were shorthanded, and they knew coming out of that game that the rest of the season was going to be "make or break" in terms of making the playoffs.  He felt that they coming back and utterly pasting the Cardinals last week showed that they were both capable and highly motivated.  That's the big picture.  He of course had lots of little supporting details as well.  I came away from it pretty convinced.  So I wasn't overly surprised by the result. 

I agree with you that Seattle isn't likely to lose both of their next 2.  But given the standings, they only have to lose one of those to make week 17 irrelevant (provided the 49ers beat the Falcons and Rams).  I agree with you that they are probably in that upper tier of teams.  But just barely.  They have talent.  But they are thin at quite a few positions.  And losing their RB didn't help. 

I can't decide how I feel about week 17 yet.  Part of me wants the game to mean something, and for the 49ers to go in there and get the win.  But in a season where they have suffered injuries in almost every game, another part of me wants to see them be able to rest the starters that week so they can ostensibly be a much healthier team come week 2 of the playoffs.  But it is what it is--we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.  Main thing is, as a fan, I'm still just over the moon that they are 11-2 and in control of the #1 seed this late in the year.  Given that their predicted record before the start of the season was as low as 6-10, depending on who you talked to, this season has FAR exceeded expectations, no matter what happens now. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:45:25 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1821 on: December 09, 2019, 01:30:34 PM »
And you should celebrate that, no question.  I'm a cynical guy in general, but that's across the board, not just San Francisco.  There are far more "2015 Carolina Panthers" and "Robert Griffin III" than there are "1973 Miami Dolphins" and "Peyton Manning".   You can substitute teams and players if you like, but you get the gist:  teams that had one season where they were clearly dominant and yet... it didn't really sustain itself.   

I think Baltimore and San Francisco have both done this right; they have strong coaches, good schemes, and good scheme players (that's not a knock; Lamar Jackson seems to be the real deal, but the SCHEME he is in certainly helps him).  I think Seattle has proven over the past five, seven years that they're always going to be in there.  NO, NE, the same way.  I THINK SF has as much a shot as the next team, maybe better, but I think there are teams out there that you cannot count out just on principle.   

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1822 on: December 09, 2019, 02:57:31 PM »
Not a good look for the Patriots today, reports are out of them taping the Bengals (!) and their fans harassing Mahomes’ girlfriend in the stands. Why would fans of a team with 6 Lombardis need to harass the significant other of the QB of a team who has 1?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: December 09, 2019, 03:03:32 PM »
Because they are drunk.  Didn't the pats also have KC equipment sent to NJ?  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1824 on: December 09, 2019, 03:14:52 PM »
Not a good look for the Patriots today, reports are out of them taping the Bengals (!) and their fans harassing Mahomes’ girlfriend in the stands. Why would fans of a team with 6 Lombardis need to harass the significant other of the QB of a team who has 1?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2019/12/09/patrick-mahomes-girlfriend-brittany-matthews-patriots-fans-harassed-her-chiefs/40787765/

(excerpt)

Update: Gillette security cane (sic) and got us said we have cameras everywhere and we have seen you getting harassed so we are gonna move you to a safe section!

Of course they do! :lol :lol :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: December 09, 2019, 03:18:26 PM »
that got a good LOL from me, luckily I wasn't drinking anything  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1826 on: December 09, 2019, 03:19:41 PM »
Lol. Kev, all stadiums have cameras for security.

Also don't lump a few assholes for a fanbase. Unless it's Philly those shit eaters. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: December 09, 2019, 03:23:57 PM »
So far here is Adam Schefter on the filming.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1828 on: December 09, 2019, 07:43:44 PM »

Have you ever been to a pro football game?!?

It's got nothing to do with the New England Patriots.  I've seen that kind of thing in Boston, New York, Philly, Charlotte, and Atlanta. It's meatheads being meatheads. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: December 09, 2019, 07:45:26 PM »
By the way, as I typed that, the Philly fans were getting on their own team.

Got to be happy for Eli Manning, though.  Class act.  Didn't whine, didn't complain, didn't cry, but when he got his chance, he's making the most of it.  Good touch, good field presence, even a little mobility for the old man.  The Gints do not look like a 2-10 team at all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: December 09, 2019, 07:47:27 PM »
Lamar Jackson is day-to-day with a quad injury.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: December 09, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »
By the way, as I typed that, the Philly fans were getting on their own team.

Got to be happy for Eli Manning, though.  Class act.  Didn't whine, didn't complain, didn't cry, but when he got his chance, he's making the most of it.  Good touch, good field presence, even a little mobility for the old man.  The Gints do not look like a 2-10 team at all.

Yea, I'm happy for Eli to have this right now.  However, I do wonder how much of this is the Eagles just being a really bad team right now.  Second half might be more interesting since Philly has a lot more on the line.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: December 10, 2019, 07:14:57 AM »
Them's the Giants for you, right there. 

VERY mixed emotions about watching Eli on the field after the game.   I know I'm being crazy sentimental for a player that there's not a lot of love for here (for the life of me I can't understand why) but watching him gracefully and classily seek out Wentz and Pederson, and in between spent quality time with easily 10 or 15 Eagles before going to the locker room... it was moving to see.  I think he knows the time is short (let him who hath understanding reckon... sorry, I digress) at least in New York.  I just hope the Giants treat him with the grace and class he has shown them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1833 on: December 10, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »

It's got nothing to do with the New England Patriots.  I've seen that kind of thing in Boston, New York, Philly, Charlotte, and Atlanta. It's meatheads being meatheads. 

There are idiot fans everywhere.  Honestly, the way a lot of 49er fans were behaving toward anyone in green at the 49ers/Packers game in Santa Clara a few weeks ago made me ashamed to be wearing a '9ers jersey.  I don't get what makes people think they have the right to be complete idiots to others based on what colors they are wearing or what team they like.

That said, I know a lot of 49ers fans traveled this last weekend, and I heard a few reports about how gracious and polite the fans in New Orleans were, so big :tup to the people of NOLA.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1834 on: December 10, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »

There are idiot fans everywhere.  Honestly, the way a lot of 49er fans were behaving toward anyone in green at the 49ers/Packers game in Santa Clara a few weeks ago made me ashamed to be wearing a '9ers jersey.  I don't get what makes people think they have the right to be complete idiots to others based on what colors they are wearing or what team they like.

That said, I know a lot of 49ers fans traveled this last weekend, and I heard a few reports about how gracious and polite the fans in New Orleans were, so big :tup to the people of NOLA.
My experience with a game in Foxborough was that the visiting fans were treated quite well. There was plenty of razzing but it was all good natured. Exactly as it should be. My hunch was that this was a couple of drunken louts and a whole lot of herd behavior. It happense. Honestly, it seems to me that the story should be how stadium officials handled the thing, and not that it happened in the first place. They noticed it without having to be informed and moved the two into a suite so they could enjoy the game. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't also looking to yank some PSLs, or at very least block those tickets for a game or two.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Patriots film crew on to Pittsburgh
« Reply #1835 on: December 10, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »
This is the sort of idea that is impossible to put adequately into words; it's often misconstrued as "victim blaming", and it's not.  I'm not implying anything, as I wasn't there, but as a general proposition, in my experience meathead behavior in New England/New York/Philly is that it has to be responded to correctly.  It IS largely good-natured - not always, but largely - and will stay that way if you accept it as such.   The people that get into trouble quickest seem to be those that don't see it for what it is and try to make it out to be more than it is.

I remember going to my first game at Fenway - we were in Boston to undergo some testing for his "new" arthritis - and like a dick - sue me, I was not quite ten at the time - I wore a Yankees jersey.  My dad got soaked by beer for most of the first couple of innings and endured a fair amount of verbal abuse.  I don't really know how he did it - again, I was ten, and he was pretty sick at that time - but somehow, by the end of the game, I remember him saying goodbye and shaking hands with the meatheads behind us and all was good. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1836 on: December 10, 2019, 11:59:53 AM »
I read on a PSU board that one of our fans smashed an opposing fans windsheild during a tailgate at one of the home games.  Makes me so mad that people give my team a bad rep because of some dumbass.  It's every major team who has these types of fans though, for the most part it's all good and fun (good natured jokes and whatnot are part of the sport of being a fan IMO) but it just sucks there's always one drunk dumbass who goes too far. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1837 on: December 10, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »
Here's something I don't get. Why is it illegal to film another team's sideline during a game? There are dozens of cameras filming. It's on national television. Over 60k people are watching. Coaches get access to all sorts of game footage, like the All 22 stuff we see on YT, which will necessarily include sidelines. During a practice or a workout I can totally see the problem. There can't be any expectation of privacy during a game, though. And do all visual representations count? Can you hire a courtroom sketch artist to crank out drawings of the sideline? What if a guy with binoculars just takes really detailed notes? What about hiring people to do descriptive audio like they do for movies?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1838 on: December 10, 2019, 12:25:52 PM »
Here's something I don't get. Why is it illegal to film another team's sideline during a game? There are dozens of cameras filming. It's on national television. Over 60k people are watching. Coaches get access to all sorts of game footage, like the All 22 stuff we see on YT, which will necessarily include sidelines. During a practice or a workout I can totally see the problem. There can't be any expectation of privacy during a game, though. And do all visual representations count? Can you hire a courtroom sketch artist to crank out drawings of the sideline? What if a guy with binoculars just takes really detailed notes? What about hiring people to do descriptive audio like they do for movies?

I don't have a good answer for those questions, but considering the reputation they have already, this is a really bad look for the Patriots organization as a whole.

Do I think that every team will do whatever it can to gain a competitive advantage, even if that means crossing the line between what's allowed and what's not? Absolutely. NFL history is loaded with examples of teams that have done it. 

"Other teams do stuff, too, but the focus is only on the Patriots because people are haters" seems to be the narrative some love to spin, but I don't think it's that simple.  They often seem to go past the line far more than most other teams. 

And, like it or not, stuff like this is why some will never call either Brady or Belichick the GOAT.  Aside from a tiny amount of irrational (legit) haters, most don't think either is great because of cheating, but it's hard to not wonder if spying or cheating or whatever you want to call it, had a hand in more than just a few of those Super Bowl titles (all of which were narrow wins, so you could argue that a little extra cheating made just enough different to affect the outcomes).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1839 on: December 10, 2019, 12:35:18 PM »

I don't have a good answer for those questions, but considering the reputation they have already, this is a really bad look for the Patriots organization as a whole.

Do I think that every team will do whatever it can to gain a competitive advantage, even if that means crossing the line between what's allowed and what's not? Absolutely. NFL history is loaded with examples of teams that have done it. 

For what it's worth, I suspect the NFL is going to review the video and determine that it's exactly what the Patriots organization says it is. Some documentary film crew shooting footage that nobody would have seen for quite a while and completely unrelated to the football side of things. It'll then levy ridiculous fines and sanctions against NE anyway. The general public made their minds up as soon as the story broke, for exactly the reasons you gave.

Personally, I'm just wondering why this is a thing in the first place.

"Other teams do stuff, too, but the focus is only on the Patriots because people are haters" seems to be the narrative some love to spin, but I don't think it's that simple.  They often seem to go past the line far more than most other teams. 
Yeah, not really. NE has Spygate and the normal number of PED suspensions. That's about it. Were it not for their success nobody would have paid any attention to the Spygate thing, and all other "controversies" stem from that.

And, like it or not, stuff like this is why some will never call either Brady or Belichick the GOAT.  Aside from a tiny amount of irrational (legit) haters, most don't think either is great because of cheating, but it's hard to not wonder if spying or cheating or whatever you want to call it, had a hand in more than just a few of those Super Bowl titles (all of which were narrow wins, so you could argue that a little extra cheating made just enough different to affect the outcomes).
The cloud might hang over Belichick. Not Brady, though. And the people who matter know that the spygate thing doesn't really factor into just how good he is. Hell, the "victims" of Spygate will be the first to tell you that.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: December 10, 2019, 12:56:31 PM »
Let's put some blame on Kraft how does these videos for the Patriots website.  Knowing the past of this team, you'd think they'd have strict rules on what to videotape in an opposing stadium.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1841 on: December 10, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »

Given that I understand I have a different view of "rules"*, I think this is all just describing interpretive behavior that exists in all facets of American life these days.   Mike Portnoy said it, therefore he MUST be bitter, regretting his decision, and busting LaBries's balls.   Trump MUST be guilty, because, well, Trump.   A big corporation filed a lawsuit?  Who are they trying to screw over now!?!  The Patriots won again?  They MUST be cheating! 

The facts are still the facts, at the end of the day.  The ball has to be snapped, thrown, and caught, the ball has to be snapped, handed off and ran, the ball has to be snapped, held and kicked.   No film changes that, no air pump changes that, no sideline spies change that.

* I think "rules" establish the lines at which there are consequences, that's all. If you are willing to endure the consequences, or if the consequences are less of a price than you're feeling you're gaining from the rule breaking, you're obligated to break them, with the only morals being those where someone gets hurt or injured. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1842 on: December 10, 2019, 01:12:19 PM »
The question no one seems to be asking is "Why Cincinnati?" If you're willing to gain an unfair advantage are the Bengals really where you play that card? Aside from sucking, they'd probably give their entire gameplan if you asked nicely. They don't event want to win at this point.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: December 10, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
Scott Van Pelt said that very thing last night after the game.   He embellished, of course, making it about Belichick ("Do you honestly believe that Bill Belichick didn't feel the need to tape the Houston Texans, the Baltimore Ravens, or the Kansas City Chiefs, but opted to tarnish his image with the one-win Cincinatti Bengals?" or something similar). 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1844 on: December 10, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »
And how exactly do we know those other teams weren’t being filmed in some way? Like the thread title on the Jets forum, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . .

If they get enough dirt I wonder if they would be so bold as to start stripping titles? As a fan of the team victimized by spygate, I would support that.  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1845 on: December 10, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »

The facts are still the facts, at the end of the day.  The ball has to be snapped, thrown, and caught, the ball has to be snapped, handed off and ran, the ball has to be snapped, held and kicked.   No film changes that, no air pump changes that, no sideline spies change that. 

That's a nice black and white way of looking at it, but we all know the details matter. Coaching matters. Preparation matters.

The question no one seems to be asking is "Why Cincinnati?" If you're willing to gain an unfair advantage are the Bengals really where you play that card? Aside from sucking, they'd probably give their entire gameplan if you asked nicely. They don't event want to win at this point.

Yep, that would be like John Petrucci going to Mike Stone for guitar lessons.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1846 on: December 10, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »
Wow, now THAT was a pretty deep cut.  :clap:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1847 on: December 10, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »
The question no one seems to be asking is "Why Cincinnati?"

I went to lunch with a friend today and he mentioned the new controversy surrounding the Pats (btw, he's not even a football fan).  I immediately said, yeah but why the Bengals?  The whole thing really doesn't make any sense.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: December 10, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: December 10, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »
People don't see that. They hate who is great.

I've been on the other side. I get it. 

I still want to cock walk though.  Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1850 on: December 10, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »
I think the Pats are ok.

I didn't realize Michael Hurley wrote for Your Team Cheats.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: December 10, 2019, 08:08:01 PM »
 :lol

You've never been on that site Tim?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1852 on: December 10, 2019, 08:08:48 PM »
That site is a Patriots fan's wet dream. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: December 10, 2019, 08:12:28 PM »
That site is a Patriots fan's wet dream. :lol :lol

That's cause your team cheated more.

Lololololol  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1854 on: December 10, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »
:lol

You've never been on that site Tim?

I've heard it referenced on the radio, but I've honestly never clicked on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol