Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 127828 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Overall product continues to deteriorate
« Reply #1225 on: October 28, 2019, 06:36:21 PM »
Don't worry, we'll still tell you all of our secrets.

Never tell what we whisper in bed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1226 on: October 28, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »
Oh, really?  Let me check on that for you...
-Kyle Juszczyk:  49ers starting fullback, whom they run their entire offense around.
-Mike McGlincey:  49ers starting OT
-Joe Staley:  49ers starting OT
-Ahkello Witherspoon:  49ers starting CB
-K'Waun Williams:  49ers starting CB

They also had Dee Ford, D.J. Jones, Raheem Mostert, George Kittle, Tevin Coleman, and Jalen Hurd miss time.  Just off the top my my head.  But even if we just stick to the ones that have been out most of the season thus far, we have half their offensive line, their Pro Bowl full back, and both corners.  I think they've had some "major players" out for significant time.
That's rough, but the Patriots have it worse. Best fullback in the league, LT and C, their two best receivers not named Julian, and the kicker. But yeah, either way, fuck the Saints. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1227 on: October 28, 2019, 06:49:16 PM »
Don't worry, we'll still tell you all of our secrets.

Never tell what we whisper in bed.

Um yeah....back to football.... :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1228 on: October 28, 2019, 06:49:36 PM »
Lol at Sporting News having the Saints at #4 in their power rankings. SF and NE have played insanely easy schedules and, as far as I know, haven't had any major players out for significant amounts of time. Also, GB's strength of schedule is weaker than the Saints', their only loss is to a 4-4 Eagles (at home) as opposed to the 5-3 Rams that the Saints' lone loss came against (on the road) plus that game involved Drew Brees going out with an injury and an "accidentally" whistled dead 83-yard fumble return for a TD by Cam Jordan. Meanwhile, the Packers got all they could handle from a Mahomes-less, Matt Moore-led Chiefs team and were given the most lopsidedly beneficial officiating this side of last season's NFC CG in the Lions game. Meanwhile, the Saints' D has become ferocious allowing just 13.3 ppg the last 3 games (15 of which were in garbage time at the Bears while running the clock out following a 36-10 lead), 7 fewer on the season than the Packers, and the offense has scored just 20 fewer points than GB's despite only having Brees for 8.5 quarters of actual game time of the 32 they've played this season. Also, two straight games with Alvin Kamara out with an injury and Latavius Murray is straight killin it with back-to-back 100-yard games and 86 yards receiving the last two games.

I just can't see how any rational person could think the Saints are any lower than #2 and even if they were #2 it'd be an unenviable task to explain why anyone else is actually better.

Here are these four teams' respective SOS figures.

SF 16-35 (.314)
NE 14-42 (.250)
GB 30-29-1 (.508)

NO 32-28-1 (.533)
Tony Dungy called them the best team in football last night.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1229 on: October 28, 2019, 07:03:36 PM »
-Kyle Juszczyk:  49ers starting fullback, whom they run their entire offense around.

They also had Dee Ford, D.J. Jones, Raheem Mostert, George Kittle, Tevin Coleman, and Jalen Hurd miss time.  Just off the top my my head.  But even if we just stick to the ones that have been out most of the season thus far, we have half their offensive line, their Pro Bowl full back, and both corners.  I think they've had some "major players" out for significant time.
That's rough, but the Patriots have it worse. Best fullback in the league, LT and C, their two best receivers not named Julian, and the kicker. But yeah, either way, fuck the Saints.

Lol. You'd think a Pats fan wouldn't have an axe to grind with a team they only play once every four years.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1230 on: October 28, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
Speaking of NE, Pittsburgh is making Miami look like their division colleagues tonight.   This football game is brutal to watch.  I may go back to Ridiculousness. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1231 on: October 28, 2019, 07:18:40 PM »
Speaking of NE, Pittsburgh is making Miami look like their division colleagues tonight.   This football game is brutal to watch.  I may go back to Ridiculousness.

You’ll recall a few days ago I advised everyone to put everything they owned on Miami to cover against Mike Tomlin. I’ve never gambled in my life, but were any of you smart enough to take that easy money?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1232 on: October 28, 2019, 09:09:57 PM »
Oh geez Fitzmagic doing his best to blow this. Good thing I don’t bet.  :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1233 on: October 28, 2019, 09:18:27 PM »
Oh geez Fitzmagic doing his best to blow this. Good thing I don’t bet.  :lol

I do have to give Tomlin credit for something. The team is playing good defense and running the ball effectively. It's not pretty, but it works. It could be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes. It wouldn't surprise me to see them lose a lot more games, or be in contention for a wildcard. They're one of those teams that you don't really know what kind of result that you'll get in the long run.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1234 on: October 28, 2019, 09:33:08 PM »
Well I needn’t have worried. Even coming off a bye, at home, against a winless team, there was no way a Mike Tomlin led team would cover a spread that big. I’m sure some folks made some easy money betting on Miami.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1235 on: October 29, 2019, 07:44:38 AM »
Lol you called me out of line a few pages back for having a back and forth with dublagent in which zero name-calling occurred and no legit swearing took place yet you jump in and get snarky with me when I was comparing teams and not referring to any members. Nice hypocrisy.

Funny how whenever someone has to be corrected for acting like an idiot, the fallback is "oh hypocrisy!"  The common thread in both posts is you coming in here and acting like an idiot.  Either grow up or post somewhere else.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1236 on: October 29, 2019, 08:54:38 AM »

No dispute from me.  But I haven't been following the Pats' season closely enough to have the details, so I figured I'd just stick with what I know.  Either way, the point we are both responding to was provably false. 

But as for the bigger point about who the "best" team in the NFC is, I think it's honestly a toss-up.  I have no problem with rankings that put any of SF, NO, or GB at the top.  Pit any of those teams against any of the others, and I have a hard time saying who could come out on top.  GB feels like maybe they are a step behind the other two.  But I have a very tough time betting against Rodgers when he's hot.  And he's definitely playing hot right now.  With those teams looking like the favorites, it is going to be an interesting second half of a season.  Looking at the schedules, NO and GB have pretty soft schedules, while the '9ers have a pretty tough stretch with Seattle, GB, NO, and Baltimore all in the back half.  That could prove to be the equalizer. 

For the '9ers, I think the key game for them on the schedule is the GB game.  They struggled in the rain against the Redskins.  I think they'd struggle against the Packers on the frozen tundra come playoff time.  They need that tiebreaker over the Packers to keep any potential playoff matchup against them on the west coast.  And I'm not underrating the Saints.  But if I had to pick a team for the '9ers to play on the road in the playoffs, I would rather have them playing inside a dome in New Orleans than outside in Green Bay.  Of course, it's a moot point if they stay ahead of both teams.  But again, with the schedules the way they are on the back half, I couldn't tell you how they will finish by the end of the season.  I fully expect those teams to be the top 3.  But as far as actual seeding, I have no clue who the "better" team is right now.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:15:36 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1237 on: October 29, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »
The GB at SF and SF at NO games will obviously go a long way in deciding the top 3 seeds in the NFC, if we can assume those three teams keep this up and end up as the top 3.  Gun to my head, I think the Saints are the best of the three right now, but I always have trouble trusting their defense in the playoffs, and they seem to find ways to have crushing playoff losses, so just because I think they might be the best of the three doesn't mean I think they will be the NFC representative in the Super Bowl.  There is still a lot of ball to be played.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1238 on: October 29, 2019, 09:38:42 AM »
Yeah, I hear you.  I don't hate the chances any of those 3 have.

Now the AFC, that's a different story altogether...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: October 29, 2019, 11:40:47 AM »
Cowherd, Steven A. & Kellerman all say the Pats are 3rd in all their rankings.  Lolololol. They rank like it's college.

There's a good chance they will lose and if that happens then you can drop them dummies.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: October 29, 2019, 11:49:43 AM »
Cowherd, Steven A. & Kellerman all say the Pats are 3rd in all their rankings.  Lolololol. They rank like it's college.

There's a good chance they will lose and if that happens then you can drop them dummies.

strength of schedule knocks them to 3?  :lol like what happened to Alabama this week? what a joke those guys are

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1241 on: October 29, 2019, 11:54:40 AM »
I have no issue with someone making a list and taking SOS in consideration.

The Pats' schedule so far has been downright shameful.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1242 on: October 29, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »
I definitely think strength of schedule can be a real, credible factor to weigh in.  But once you've racked up 7 or 8 wins or more, I think it has much less significance.  I can't see strength of schedule being enough to take the Pats out of the #1 spot right now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: October 29, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »
If that's the case then they wouldn't have been #1 in their poles with the SOS.

It was their lackluster win against the Browns.   Lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: October 29, 2019, 12:01:18 PM »
They don't pass the eye test though?  They haven't consistently been the best team in the NFL for 2 decades?  It's not college ball where teams don't play each other and talent gaps are huge so you have to consider SOS, anyone who doesn't think right now the Pats are the best team in the NFL can't be taken seriously. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: October 29, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
Well in their defense you want controversy because it draws people in to watch and argue.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1246 on: October 29, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
They don't pass the eye test though?  They haven't consistently been the best team in the NFL for 2 decades?  It's not college ball where teams don't play each other and talent gaps are huge so you have to consider SOS, anyone who doesn't think right now the Pats are the best team in the NFL can't be taken seriously. 

I would have to agree.

Well in their defense you want controversy because it draws people in to watch and argue.

But it's only controversial because it is such a dumb opinion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: October 29, 2019, 12:09:40 PM »
Right bosk1 but it draws us in to berate them.  I'm guilty. 

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1248 on: October 29, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »
Lol you called me out of line a few pages back for having a back and forth with dublagent in which zero name-calling occurred and no legit swearing took place yet you jump in and get snarky with me when I was comparing teams and not referring to any members. Nice hypocrisy.

Funny how whenever someone has to be corrected for acting like an idiot, the fallback is "oh hypocrisy!"  The common thread in both posts is you coming in here and acting like an idiot.  Either grow up or post somewhere else.

I criticized a website that has nothing to do with DTF, I didn't come at any members. Based on the way you felt it necessary to get smug with that boo hoo nonsense, it seems like you took it personally cuz your team was involved. After accusing me of baiting someone else recently, you're looking pretty damn hypocritical if benign criticisms of an organization you have no real world ties to makes you do the same thing you griped at me about. Take a step back and look in the mirror some time.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:29:52 PM by black_biff_stadler »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1249 on: October 30, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »

I criticized a website that has nothing to do with DTF, I didn't come at any members. Based on the way you felt it necessary to get smug with that boo hoo nonsense, it seems like you took it personally cuz your team was involved. After accusing me of baiting someone else recently, you're looking pretty damn hypocritical if benign criticisms of an organization you have no real world ties to makes you do the same thing you griped at me about. Take a step back and look in the mirror some time.

Wrong on all counts.  Keeping a careful count through the years, I can tell you exactly the number of times I have come in here and thrown a tantrum and acted like a complete dick over a sports team I like:  zero.  But my behavior here isn't the issue.  Yours is.  And if you want to continue to double down on your childish behavior, you can do so in the Yahoo Sports comments section or somewhere else, not here.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1250 on: October 30, 2019, 01:10:55 PM »
By all means, point to where I acted in a manner noticeably worse than the person with whom I was debating. You're very clearly the only one doubling down since you already showed up to this thread and got rude with me cuz I criticized the niners, not any person, but specifically a few NFL teams but you clearly took it personally. Then, after you clearly showed a lack of maturity and tact, YOU doubled down by thinly veiling your attempts to straight up call me an idiot and a dick. If someone had pulled that with you they'd already be on a temp ban at the very least.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1251 on: October 30, 2019, 01:25:00 PM »
If you insulted the '9ers, I don't really care.  None of them are family and they aren't giving me a paycheck.  You aren't being shown the door for that.  You are being shown the door for your conduct in this thread after being told to cool it when you went after someone else.  You wanna pick fights with me for being told you are out of line?  I don't have time for that.  Bye.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:31:15 PM by bosk1 »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1252 on: October 30, 2019, 08:53:22 PM »

Wrong on all counts.  Keeping a careful count through the years, I can tell you exactly the number of times I have come in here and thrown a tantrum and acted like a complete dick over a sports team I like:  zero.  But my behavior here isn't the issue.  Yours is.  And if you want to continue to double down on your childish behavior, you can do so in the Yahoo Sports comments section or somewhere else, not here.

Really?  You really wanna go there?  You and I had a few exchanges a few years back when I cared about the NFL.  Look, I haven't followed this thread at all, so as an unbiased observer - simply reading over the last 2 pages - you're the one that deserves the flag Bosk, not Josh.  YOU were the first to quip ("Oh, boo hoo") and then insult / name call ("acting like and idiot"), and would warn or ban anyone for that kind of commentary.  See rule #3 of this forum - or are you exempt from following the rules you enforce on everyone else?

I'm on team Josh over this one.  I've told you over PM that I'm terrible at letting bull-shit slide, and this is bull-shit as I see it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1253 on: October 30, 2019, 08:56:50 PM »
Yeah I'm not seeing any solid wrongdoing on Josh's part either....

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: October 31, 2019, 01:11:07 AM »
Going back a bit on Lamar Jackson.  He was the first in the SB era with over 200+ passing and 150+ rushing in a game.  He was the first ever with two straight 100+ yards rushing and a TD in two straight games.
<snip>
I can see this team making the Super Bowl.  I can also see them going 9-7 in this fickle week to week league.

I hope you take this in the spirit intended - objective football discussion - and not petty pissing on your parade, but enjoy him while you can.  History shows that's not a winning combination.  He's most often compared to Michael Vick, who, while an amazing athlete (I mean, once in a generation athlete) has zero Super Bowl wins to his credit, and will be a footnote in NFL history, for off the field tom-foolery.   He's often compared to Colin Kaepernick, who, while an amazing athlete, has zero Super Bowl wins to his credit, and will be a footnote in NFL history, for off the field shenanigans.  Other names that come up often:  Cam Newton, who, while a very good athlete, has zero Super Bowl wins to his credit, and will likely be a footnote in NFL history, for off the field balderdash.  The only one that gets mentioned in this conversation that defies this trend is Russell Wilson, and his "history" is not the same, in that he will rush when he has to, but recognizes that he doesn't have to more often than not (his season high is something like 850 yards, and his average per season is under 500). 

I can see the Ravens making a dent in the playoffs, but if they are going to rely on one guy for that kind of production to be the difference, they aren't getting past the Patriots, and they might not get past the Bills (though the other side of the ball may change that).  Even if "ANY GIVEN SUNDAY", they will still likely have to get by the Rams or the Saints, and I just don't see Wade Phillips getting beat by one guy like that (see Super Bowl 50).

Sorry, I'm impressed with Lamar Jackson as an athlete, not so much as a quarterback.

I'll agree with all of that, with a caveat or two.  Kaepernick gets the 49ers into the SB in '11 if their back up returner doesn't screw them over twice against the Giants.  The following year, in their last drive against the Ravens (which shouldn't have mattered had the officials not swallowed their whistles on the previous Ravens drive)  he wins the SB for the if Jim Harbaugh doesn't have him pass those last four plays.  And they lost a tough one the next year against Seattle. 

If you reach a SB, you're still the champ of sixteen teams.  Not bad.   

Trent Dilfer won a SB with throws on crossing patterns that were at the ankles and a yard behind the receivers on numerous occasions.  Lamar has eliminated those lapses this year ;)   He's worked hard, grown over the past year, and I hope the improvements continue.  He has the weapons this year (if they can get/stay healthy).  I enjoy watching the style I grew up with while watching Michigan and Central Michigan beat teams with option, ball control offense to chew up 6-8 minutes of the clock on each possession. 

How long that plays out......well, I'd love 'W' this Sunday.  After that........
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1255 on: October 31, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »

Really?  You really wanna go there?  You and I had a few exchanges a few years back when I cared about the NFL.  Look, I haven't followed this thread at all, so as an unbiased observer - simply reading over the last 2 pages - you're the one that deserves the flag Bosk, not Josh.  YOU were the first to quip ("Oh, boo hoo") and then insult / name call ("acting like and idiot"), and would warn or ban anyone for that kind of commentary.  See rule #3 of this forum - or are you exempt from following the rules you enforce on everyone else?

I'm on team Josh over this one.  I've told you over PM that I'm terrible at letting bull-shit slide, and this is bull-shit as I see it.

Thank you for your opinion.  And apparently, we need a more general reminder of forum rules and decorum.  And as it clearly states right up front in the forum rules, and as you well know as someone who has been here a long time, if you disagree with a mod decision, you may PM a mod about it--NOT further derail the thread by posting about the mod decision in the thread.  If you have an issue, handle it properly, or you can join "team Josh" elsewhere.  That's all I'll say about that.  Now let's please get the thread back on topic.  Thanks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1256 on: October 31, 2019, 08:30:53 AM »
Kaepernick gets the 49ers into the SB in '11 if their back up returner doesn't screw them over twice against the Giants.

Alex Smith--NOT Colin Kaepernick. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: October 31, 2019, 09:06:42 AM »

Thank you for your opinion.  And apparently, we need a more general reminder of forum rules and decorum.  And as it clearly states right up front in the forum rules, and as you well know as someone who has been here a long time, if you disagree with a mod decision, you may PM a mod about it--NOT further derail the thread by posting about the mod decision in the thread.  If you have an issue, handle it properly, or you can join "team Josh" elsewhere.  That's all I'll say about that.  Now let's please get the thread back on topic.  Thanks.

All I'm suggesting is that you hold yourself accountable to the same standards as you insist others to follow ... "handle it properly".  Leaders lead, and you're ultimate leader at DTF.  To your very point above, maybe if you'd taken it to PM with Josh, things wouldn't have been terminated via a ban.  Surely that's not something that can't be said in public - who mods the Mod??   :rollin (tongue FIRMLY planted in cheek in case it's not clear).

With that, I'll gracefully exit as I have nothing to contribute to the NFL conversation.  Just had to say offer my thoughts since you felt the need to silence Josh.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1258 on: October 31, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
just here to offer my agreement and support to the above thoughts
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: October 31, 2019, 09:48:52 AM »
Wow... first time I've had someone offer me their thoughts and prayers for my well-being.   :lol :lol