Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 126189 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. bracing for epic Redskins/Dolphins game in Week 6
« Reply #910 on: October 07, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »
Was Mahomes hurt?  Sorry, I fully admit I'm not on the Patrick Mahomes Fellatio Squad (yet) but that last quarter was not impressive at all.  I know, I know, it's one quarter (that's all I watched), and you can't ignore the last 21 games, but I think that showed what I already knew: that's still an Andy Reid team.  REALLY good at some things, not good enough at others. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #911 on: October 07, 2019, 10:30:10 AM »

The AFC is clearly down to Chiefs/Pats, but it would take you 8 NFC teams before you got to Baltimore?

Yes.  The Ravens are an average at best team.  They beat the Dolphins, Cardinals and Steelers (with their 3rd string QB).  BFD.  Let me know when they beat a good team.

I'll take all over these teams over Baltimore right now:

New England
Kansas City
Seattle
New Orleans
Green Bay
Philly
LA Rams
San Fran.
Dallas
Houston
Minnesota
Chicago
Carolina

And maybe Buffalo and Detroit.  And possibly Cleveland depending on what they do tomorrow night.

I like this.  But I am currently very cautious about my optimism surrounding this team.  I think the Bucs are better than people thought, so I don't take that win lightly.  And what they had to overcome to get the win against the Steelers says a lot of good things about this team as well.  But I still think they are largely untested.  How they play tonight against the Browns and next week against the Rams will say a lot.  If they win both of those, I think they are in the upper tier of NFC teams, alongside (in no particular order) the Saints, Packers, and Seahawks.  If they go 1-1, I would tentatively put them low in the top half of the NFC.  I guess we'll know in about a week or so.

I do like that, as of this moment, they have the second best record in the league, just behind the Pats.  But being realistic, even if they do win the next 2 and get to 5-0, they still have a long way to go before being anywhere near the same caliber is New England.

EDIT:  Looking at their schedule, they are easily set up to be the most overhyped team in the NFL by mid-season if they do manage to beat the Browns and Rams.  Their next 3 games are against the Redskins, Panthers, and Cards.  They could easily be 8-0 by the time that run is over.  The problem is, their schedule is very backloaded, so even if they manage to get to 7-1 or 8-0, I think they will likely have a losing or even record in the last 8.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:48:42 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #912 on: October 07, 2019, 10:35:27 AM »
Christian McCaffrey was a BEAST yesterday.  The Panthers aren't getting much press, but he is putting up yards from scrimmage numbers that haven't been seen since Jim Brown.  If he keeps this up, he will be in the MVP mix by the end of the season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #913 on: October 07, 2019, 10:39:02 AM »
Well, people are already wanting to crown him MVP, so I don't know about them/him not getting much press.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #914 on: October 07, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »
Christian McCaffrey was a BEAST yesterday.  The Panthers aren't getting much press, but he is putting up yards from scrimmage numbers that haven't been seen since Jim Brown.  If he keeps this up, he will be in the MVP mix by the end of the season.

Not the prototypical back that would garner the MVP accolades which makes it even a better story.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #915 on: October 08, 2019, 07:40:29 AM »
OK, I know it's still early.  But I'm starting to feel like the '9ers have something.  That was far from a perfect game.  But it was an impressive win.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #916 on: October 08, 2019, 08:04:33 AM »
OK, I know it's still early.  But I'm starting to feel like the '9ers have something.  That was far from a perfect game.  But it was an impressive win.

The RB's had a great game. They torched the Browns' D.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #917 on: October 08, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »
For sure.  The only concerns I saw last night:

1.  Their new long snapper needs some more reps.  In a close game, you need those FGs. 

2.  Even aside from the missed FG's, they definitely left some points on the field that they should have had.  Mind you, I'm not complaining about not having enough points in a game they won 31-3.  I'm just saying that they need to tighten up and execute on plays where the opportunity is there for the taking, and not do things like drop passes or Jimmy G miss open receivers.  I just want to see a bit more polish. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #918 on: October 08, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »
There were some bad drops. Late in the game he hit that one guy in perfect stride for what should've been a TD.

I forgot about the FGs. What a mess. :lol

I'm rooting for the 9'ers as I'd like to see Jimmy G succeed there. They just need to keep building and improving.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #919 on: October 08, 2019, 08:44:43 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping that as they keep playing together with this core, they will keep building.  They certainly have the pieces in place to do that. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #920 on: October 08, 2019, 08:46:45 AM »
King, TAC, Bosk... might as well join the group discussing the leagues unbeaten teams. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #921 on: October 08, 2019, 08:49:07 AM »
Yeah, just two left..

The Pats have played literally the easiest schedule so far. I mean, they have played nobody, save for the Bills, who have really improved under McDermott. But even then...it's Buffalo.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: October 08, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »
Been here before.  I want to see how we play in December.  That's normally an indication except for last year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #923 on: October 09, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
I'm not sold on the 9ers until they play a good team.  Just like I wasn't sold on Dallas when they played shitty teams the first 3 weeks and everybody thought they were good.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #924 on: October 09, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »
I'm not sold on the 9ers until they play a good team.  Just like I wasn't sold on Dallas when they played shitty teams the first 3 weeks and everybody thought they were good.  :lol

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  But I'm feeling a lot more sold on their defense, at least.  And their run game.  I'm not sold on them as a complete team.  But I think I have seen enough to feel like the praise those to pieces are getting is legitimate.  I'm curious to see how they perform against the Rams this week.  And I'm very curious to see how they perform with Juszczyk now out 4-6 weeks.  He is SO key to what they do well on offense. 

What's funny to me in seeing all kinds of stories about that game and what it supposedly "means" is that it would appear the a lot of folks around the NFL had that Monday night game penciled in as the expected coronation of Mayfield and the Browns as the next big thing, and instead it served as the coronation for the 49ers defense as one of the most feared in the league right now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #925 on: October 09, 2019, 07:19:08 PM »
How good the 49ers are still remains to be seen of course, but 4-0 is 4-0, and they are in good position to make a run for a playoff spot. Their four games vs the Rams and Seahawks will tell us a lot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: October 10, 2019, 06:27:42 AM »
Nerf dual, WTF?? :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRquDYJITpc

That is GLORIOUS!!

Chase Winovich looks like that dude that stands around in his underwear in Times Square.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: October 10, 2019, 12:37:42 PM »
Tonight should be a pretty good beat down by the Pats.  My Giants are very very banged up.  Not that I would have given them much chance if they were healthy, but I'd be more hopefuly for a good game if they were.  Now, I'm guessing 35-7 type of game.  Pats D is too good and our defense is swiss cheese. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: October 10, 2019, 05:54:07 PM »
I'll apologize in person.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: October 10, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »
I take that back.  To quote Tim, "Our offense blows."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #932 on: October 10, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »
Jared Stidham no longer has the only TD pass against the Pats this year. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: October 10, 2019, 07:56:38 PM »
 :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: October 10, 2019, 08:08:43 PM »
 :lol at least its been worth watching.  My friends are so excited, but I just see the Pats offense really struggling and sloppy the first half while the Giants just look overall terrible.  Brady doesn't lose at home with the lead at half and they don't lose to rookie QBs.  It'll take a miracle to come back the second half.  I'm glad this has at least been entertaining though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: October 11, 2019, 08:23:54 AM »
Tonight should be a pretty good beat down by the Pats.  My Giants are very very banged up.  Not that I would have given them much chance if they were healthy, but I'd be more hopefuly for a good game if they were.  Now, I'm guessing 35-7 type of game.  Pats D is too good and our defense is swiss cheese.

The maddening thing about being both a Pats fan and a Giants fan.  That was a better game for the Giants than it had any right to be, and that was not the game that Bill wanted his club to turn in on ANY Sunday, and  yet... look at the actual score and your predicted score. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: October 11, 2019, 08:26:41 AM »
That 7 points was thanks to a Brady fumble, I was pretty spot on and it was only a sloppy first half by NE's offense that gave it a closeness to start.  The second half played out exactly as expected.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #937 on: October 11, 2019, 08:34:45 AM »

The maddening thing about being both a Pats fan and a Giants fan.  That was a better game for the Giants than it had any right to be, and that was not the game that Bill wanted his club to turn in on ANY Sunday, and  yet... look at the actual score and your predicted score.
That was the sort of game NE occasionally loses. They're not strangers to playing to the level of their opponent, and this was the sort of game they might lose on a bizarre kick return or untimely pick six. The fact that theyr'e winning even the sloppy games thanks to D is encouraging to me.  My hunch is that when we finally see them play a quality team we'll see good Patriots football. Until then we see them beating ugly teams ugly, and probably dropping one or two along the way. I woudln't rule out an upset by NYJ.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #938 on: October 11, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »
That was the sort of game NE occasionally loses. They're not strangers to playing to the level of their opponent, and this was the sort of game they might lose on a bizarre kick return or untimely pick six. 

Yeah, that's how it seemed to be shaping up.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #939 on: October 11, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
Funny that in a copy cat league such as the NFL, no other team tries to copy the Pats.  There should be a new paradigm shift called "Copy Pats".  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #940 on: October 11, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
Funny that in a copy cat league such as the NFL, no other team tries to copy the Pats.  There should be a new paradigm shift called "Copy Pats".  :lol
That's an interesting point. Much of what they do is repeatable by other teams. You can't run out and draft another TB12, and you're unlikely to find a better game manager than Bill, but everything else is doable.

Plan around what you have rather than hire for what you want.
Bring in football players rather than exceptional athletes.
Focus on value rather than star power.
Don't tolerate asshats.
Hire from within to maintain culture. 
Don't be afraid to break with convention.
Find uses for great players who've lost a step.
Don't gamble with high value picks.

It really doesn't seem like there are any other teams in the league that can or will do these things. I suspect the biggest hurdle is getting to a point where you can begin. You can bring in a Darrel Revis or a Randy Moss when you're offering a solid bet for a ring and a second chance. Cleveland doesn't have that to offer. You can hire excellent coaches from within when you've already got excellent coaching but not before. A new, young coach who loses a game after a 4th and 2 isn't likely to get many more chances, so he's less likely to be unconventional. But, somebody like Pete Carroll or Andy Reid should be able to pull it off.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: October 11, 2019, 01:00:11 PM »
There's one other thing: have an owner that is tolerant of the ramp up to that plateau.   When you have asshat owners that measure their teams success on "jersey sales", you tend to get teams like the Browns and the Cowboys. 

In my view there are only a handful of owners that are capable of letting that kind of plan fully form.   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #942 on: October 11, 2019, 01:15:24 PM »
There's one other thing: have an owner that is tolerant of the ramp up to that plateau.   When you have asshat owners that measure their teams success on "jersey sales", you tend to get teams like the Browns and the Cowboys. 

In my view there are only a handful of owners that are capable of letting that kind of plan fully form.
It's funny you mention Dallas because one of the few coaches I can think of that seemed to do what NE does was Jimmy Johnson.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #943 on: October 11, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
Exactly.  Jimmy Johnson created a culture that was conducive to winning no matter what it took.  Too bad Jerry Jones' ego was threatened by the superior football mind of his head coach.
It's also interesting that BB and JJ have been close friends for a long time.  They truly are two of a kind.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #944 on: October 11, 2019, 03:32:05 PM »
Exactly.  Jimmy Johnson created a culture that was conducive to winning no matter what it took.  Too bad Jerry Jones' ego was threatened by the superior football mind of his head coach.
It's also interesting that BB and JJ have been close friends for a long time.  They truly are two of a kind.
Wasn't aware that they were close friends, but it certainly doesn't surprise me.

They have some commonalities and they had some differences. Clearly they both created a winning attitude. They're both willing to think outside the box and utilize the talent they have. (Converting Haley to DE certainly comes to mind.) They both make it very clear from the get-go that if your'e a problem you're gone, particularly if you're a fumbler. (I still think Jimmy kept a sacrificial jackass on the roster each year just to be able to scare the bejeezus out of the rest of the team.) And I think it says a lot that as soon as Jimmy was replaced by a player's coach the whole thing collapsed. At the same time I see differences in style. Has Bill ever been one for screaming, profanity filled tirades on the flights home?* Jimmy's were legendary to the point that even Buddy Rich would be appalled. I'm not sure Bill would have tolerated some of the antics, either. Even those coming from 88. My hunch is that if somebody, even Tom Brady, stabs a teammate in the throat he's going to be gone sooner rather than later.

That said, it's impossible to know how much of this is on Jimmy vs Jerry.

*Serious question. Does anybody know?
E.F. Benson