Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 95534 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #420 on: September 24, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »
Sounds horrible, Grap.

:lol

Added the link. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #421 on: September 24, 2018, 01:14:30 PM »
Gee thanks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #422 on: September 24, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
One listen through Tales From The Twilight World.

All I can say is  :metal :metal :metal

WOW, what an amazing album.

Compositionally, it's s huge step up from their first two albums. The only song I didn't care for was Tommyknockers. I hated that chorus. But everything else was incredible. Some really crazy drumming.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: September 24, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
Compositionally, it's s huge step up from their first two albums.

Agreed, for me, this is where BG starts hitting their stride and making consistent really good albums.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #424 on: September 24, 2018, 02:56:35 PM »
Compositionally, it's s huge step up from their first two albums.

Agreed, for me, this is where BG starts hitting their stride and making consistent really good albums.

+1 to this. Twilight World is amazing and the band really stepped up a notch with that one.

Tim, I'd really love to hear your thoughts on the song 'Ashes to Ashes' when you get to Somewhere Far Beyond. I think that was the second BG song I ever heard and it's still one of my favorite metal songs of all time. If you liked Twilight World you should love that album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #425 on: September 24, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
Tim, I'd really love to hear your thoughts on the song 'Ashes to Ashes' when you get to Somewhere Far Beyond. I think that was the second BG song I ever heard and it's still one of my favorite metal songs of all time. If you liked Twilight World you should love that album.

For sure! Going to spin Twilight World for the rest of the night. I'll be on SFB tomorrow. Going with at least 3 listens before moving on.

I love the Weird Dreams instrumental. Very cool.

So far my favorite songs are:

Majesty
Guardian Of The Blind
Wizard's Crown
Battalions Of Fear

Banish From Sanctuary
Damned For All Time
Hall Of The King
Fast To Madness

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: September 24, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »
There's one track you may have missed from Battalions and that's the bonus instrumental track Gandalf's Rebirth, if you're curious - it's only 2:15 and just a fun little speed metal instrumental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIEiqbIFbu4

But yeah, keep rockin' Twilight. Damn good stuff. So happy you're enjoying them so far.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #427 on: September 24, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »
There's one track you may have missed from Battalions and that's the bonus instrumental track Gandalf's Rebirth, if you're curious - it's only 2:15 and just a fun little speed metal instrumental.

I have it. It's on my copy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: September 24, 2018, 03:16:22 PM »

I have it. It's on my copy.

Well look at you being one step ahead!  :biggrin:  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2018, 07:55:50 PM »
Been through Tales From The Twilight World 4 times tonight. Awesome album. I feel like it's overall more consistent than the first two, though I love Battalions.

Favorite songs are Traveler In Time and Lost In The Twilight Hall, which might be the best song I've heard from them so far. That and Majesty are my two favorites so far.

I like Lord Of The Rings. It's neat.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #430 on: September 24, 2018, 07:57:02 PM »
Tales is an awesome record.  I saw Blind Guardian in 2016, and they opened with The Ninth Wave, from the newest album.  Cool, great, epic song, I'm just taking it in, watching Hansi sing for the first time ever, after being a fan for 18 years at that time.  Then Hansi gives his "Welcome to the show....and Welcome....to Dying!" intro and I went ballistic.   :metal

Offline Art

« Reply #431 on: September 25, 2018, 06:50:16 AM »
Tales is just  :metal :metal :metal

Thomen  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: September 25, 2018, 07:29:40 AM »
Lost in the Twilight Hall is also probably my favorite of theirs from the first 3 albums.  Song is just  :metal :metal and it's really good on Tokyo Tales.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #433 on: September 25, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
Tales from the Twilight World is, in my opinion, one of the biggest jumps in quality from album to album ever by a band. Especially considering it is only one year after Follow the Blind and features the exact same band members, of whom all are performing significantly better (on top of the overall better songwriting and overall production).

And the songs of Tales are ace live. It is before Hansi goes into overdrive with his vocals, making pretty much all of the songs fit Hansi's voice without notable compromise throughout his career thus far (on top of the two albums prior).

And yes, the drumming is great, Thomen is actually one of my favourite drummers. Especially his work on Nightfall in Middle Earth. I like Fredrick live, but his studiowork doesn't hold a candle to that of Thomen.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #434 on: September 25, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
The biggest thing about Tales is that it was the start of their trademark sound. The roots were there in the early albums, but the BG we all know and love today was born with that album. Battalions and Follow are two good albums by one of the many german speed / heavy metal bands. Tales from the Twilight World is a BLIND GUARDIAN album and no one else could have done it at the time.

....and to think that the next one was even better!!!

..........and to think that the further next one was EVEN better!!!

:metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #435 on: September 25, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
I'll get into it in more detail tomorrow, but I must say that Somewhere Far Beyond is fucking incredible. If I stopped right now, I would be so thrilled. This band f'n rocks. I'm amazed. Incredible that they are also so young during this time. This is masterful writing and playing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: September 25, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
I'll get into it in more detail tomorrow, but I must say that Somewhere Far Beyond is fucking incredible. If I stopped right now, I would be so thrilled. This band f'n rocks. I'm amazed. Incredible that they are also so young during this time. This is masterful writing and playing.

I'm so happy. :2metal:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: September 25, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
Dang, high praise indeed in this thread. Made it through their debut. That style of speed metal isn't generally my thing, but I can hear the foundations being laid for great things. I look forward to listening to more.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #438 on: September 26, 2018, 01:03:30 AM »
I gave A Night At The Opera a listen today for the first time in a few years, sounds great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #439 on: September 26, 2018, 06:01:03 AM »
WHEN THE LIFECLOCK STRIKES YOU WILL OBEY  :metal :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: September 26, 2018, 06:06:59 AM »
WHEN THE LIFECLOCK STRIKES YOU WILL OBEY  :metal :metal

LIKE A CANDLE LIGHT THAT FADES

BANG YOUR FUCKING HEADS

:jamaritard:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2018, 07:05:32 AM »

It is a sublime album indeed!

I wonder, have you ever checked out Demons & Wizards? (Since you also like Iced Earth). 

I gave A Night At The Opera a listen today for the first time in a few years, sounds great.

I have to be in a specific mood to enjoy this one. It is gloriously over the top and probably the most epic power metal album ever, everything is just so huge. The thousand Hansi's singing, Thomens insane drumming, the consistent wall of guitar melodies. But sometimes it is just too much for me when taken as a whole, despite me loving almost each song individually.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #442 on: September 26, 2018, 07:08:46 AM »
I love and can digest easily ANATO. It's Beyond the Red Mirror that makes it look, in comparison, a standard power metal 4/4 album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: September 26, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »
I wonder, have you ever checked out Demons & Wizards? (Since you also like Iced Earth). 

Ive been a BG fan for awhile now and heard of D&W but it wasnt until just last week that I finally gave them a listen and really enjoying it.  I've just been listening on youtube (both albums are on there full) but I need to get both so I can listen offline.  Sounds pretty much like BG.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: September 26, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »
Crimson King is up there with the best of both bands. That song is going to destroy ProgPower next year and my body is ready.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #445 on: September 26, 2018, 08:28:08 AM »

It is a sublime album indeed!

Yes, in fact I have the first album. Been ages since I've heard it. There was always something not agreeable to me with Hansi's voice. I don't remember the first thing about it. At least 15 years since I pulled it out. I'll go back to it after my Blind Guardian run.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #446 on: September 26, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
So, to update on Somewhere Far Beyond, I think I actually like this more that TFTTW. This album is incredible.

Favorite songs are ..I love all of them. The Bard Songs are probably the weakest, but I seriously love every other song. Time What Is Time, the title track, Ashes To Ashes. Very impressive album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: September 26, 2018, 03:33:42 PM »
In the Forest > The Hobbit. Not really keen on the latter, but ITF is a classic ballad. All 3 times I've seen them live the crowd pretty much carries the entire thing and it's just magical, one of the coolest moments of any band's set for sure. Definitely comes across better in a live setting.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #448 on: September 26, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »
I gotta say I’m looking forward to that guy ( ;) )’s reaction to Imaginations from the Other Side. Their best imo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2018, 07:49:58 AM »
Title track is probably my favorite from SFB, but yea...

I gotta say I’m looking forward to that guy ( ;) )’s reaction to Imaginations from the Other Side. Their best imo.

This

Offline Grappler

« Reply #450 on: September 27, 2018, 08:02:53 AM »
In the Forest > The Hobbit. Not really keen on the latter, but ITF is a classic ballad. All 3 times I've seen them live the crowd pretty much carries the entire thing and it's just magical, one of the coolest moments of any band's set for sure. Definitely comes across better in a live setting.

To echo this comment, look for any live version of The Bard's Song.  This one gives me goosebumps since the crowd is mixed so high and you can hear how they overpower the band.  Depending on how strong the crowd's singing is, Hansi will sometimes just stand back and let them carry the majority of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-RfBfoI4CU

When I saw Blind Guardian in 2016 and they started this song, I took my earplugs out so I could experience the full volume of the crowd around me.  It was incredible.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #451 on: September 27, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »
The Bard's Song (In the Forest) is indeed a magical moment live.

Every time is like the first time. I'm always moved and overwhelmed. Awesome experience.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: September 27, 2018, 08:10:53 AM »
My friends and I always put our arms around our shoulders and sing the song together. Brotherhood of metal  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #453 on: September 28, 2018, 06:20:15 PM »
Tides of War is out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ4trSNuaE0.

I think it is a very cool track, especially instrumentally. The guitar work sounds really Nightfall in Middle Earthy (which makes sense, offcourse). Chorus is okay, but I love the rest of the song. For Doom, I thought the overall vocal melodies and chorus gave me strong Nightfall in Middle Earth vibes. For this song, it is especially the intrumental aspects that evoke that feeling.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #454 on: September 28, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
Wow I never even knew about this song, thanks for posting the link.
I even checked my BG Traveller's box set and it not on anything there.
This song is too good to be not available on some sort of official album.