Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646208 times)

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6860 on: May 07, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »
Prediction: Jaime kills Cersei by pushing her out a window or some other high place. I have a feeling he will fall with her as well. The hound and the Mountain will fight. The Hound will win but be severely hurt. Arya will put him out of his misery at his request.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6861 on: May 07, 2019, 12:32:02 PM »
So texting with Kev and now seeing it online.....there's a theory that Sansa basically gave Cersi a heads up that Dany was heading back to Dragonstone....tipping her off so Euron could get the drop on her. Being that there were no northern armies with Dany it'd be a good way to take her out. And, that Sansa is the one who has sent Arya to Kingslanding to kill Cersi.....since we didn't get a real 'goodbye' scene between the two.

Could be plausible.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6862 on: May 07, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »
So texting with Kev and now seeing it online.....there's a theory that Sansa basically gave Cersi a heads up that Dany was heading back to Dragonstone....tipping her off so Euron could get the drop on her. Being that there were no northern armies with Dany it'd be a good way to take her out. And, that Sansa is the one who has sent Arya to Kingslanding to kill Cersi.....since we didn't get a real 'goodbye' scene between the two.

Could be plausible.

Could be, but let's also remember that we're dealing with authors that gave us "Arya essentially jumps out of nowhere" and "Dany kinda forgot the Iron Fleet" (actual quotes). Sansa doing a secret power play to off both the bitch queens (as she surely sees them) could indeed be awesome, but feels too clever and has not been hinted in the least, so the reveal would be out of nowhere.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6863 on: May 07, 2019, 12:48:02 PM »

Could be plausible.

Could be, but let's also remember that we're dealing with authors that gave us "Arya essentially jumps out of nowhere" and "Dany kinda forgot the Iron Fleet" (actual quotes). Sansa doing a secret power play to off both the bitch queens (as she surely sees them) could indeed be awesome, but feels too clever and has not been hinted in the least, so the reveal would be out of nowhere.

But Sansa is the smartest person Arya ever met!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6864 on: May 07, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
I think I read, or listened, to a theory about Jaime going to King's Landing because he does indeed love Cersei and everything he said to Brienne being true, but he sees her lying (again) about his baby with it being Euron's and that's what pushes him to kill Cersei, maybe even stab her in the back next to the iron throne and becoming the queenslayer in the process, but this time everyone knows he is justified and is therfore redeemed publicly this time. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6865 on: May 07, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
In addition to Sansa, I could see Bronn having seen how depleted the North was, and then gotten word back to the South, speeding up the process of starting the war. The quicker someone wins, the sooner he gets paid, and that is all he is about.

Regarding the pace, I really don't think it is moving that much faster so much that we are seeing characters more often.  The early seasons had so many characters, and there were literally episodes where Danny or Jon Snow or Tyrion were only in 1 or 2 scenes.  Now, we see them in most of the episode, because most of the remaining characters either came together in one place (the North) or are scattered about in the South or elsewhere.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6866 on: May 07, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »
Prediction: Jaime kills Cersei by pushing her out a window or some other high place. I have a feeling he will fall with her as well. The hound and the Mountain will fight. The Hound will win but be severely hurt. Arya will put him out of his misery at his request.

I like all of this, but only if The Hound is mortally wounded. I think Cersei dying from a fall would be awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6867 on: May 07, 2019, 01:58:29 PM »

Could be plausible.

Not sure about this, but it's possible I suppose. Another possibility is Sansa and Arya plotting to take out Dany. Arya seemed like she had a specific purpose in mind when she snuck off, with no plan to return to Winterfell. And while we're presumably supposed to assume she's after Cersei (and maybe she is also), Dany also has green eyes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6868 on: May 07, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »

I like all of this, but only if The Hound is mortally wounded. I think Cersei dying from a fall would be awesome.

I like Arya killing the Hound too. It seems they are friends and he's not really on the list anymore, but her doing that would still mean the list was valid but also goes back to her leaving him for dead and also ending putting him down like a dog.  I like it, a lot.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6869 on: May 07, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »

I like Arya killing the Hound too. It seems they are friends and he's not really on the list anymore, but her doing that would still mean the list was valid but also goes back to her leaving him for dead and also ending putting him down like a dog.  I like it, a lot.

And...they just 'joked' about it as they left Winterfell. Seems like it'd be a fitting end for Clegane....to have probably the only person he's ever loved put him out of his misery.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6870 on: May 07, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »

And...they just 'joked' about it as they left Winterfell. Seems like it'd be a fitting end for Clegane....to have probably the only person he's ever loved put him out of his misery.

Yup, that last episode had a few lines that could have been foreshadowing, especially the hints about Starks going to Kings landing don't come back.  I wonder which, if any, are true or that I didn't even notice but would pick up on a rewatch of the season.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6871 on: May 07, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »
I think that would be perfect. And it would be the one killing that Arya maybe doesn't actually want to do, given how they've been treating each other lately. How awful/dramatic would that be.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6872 on: May 07, 2019, 02:19:28 PM »
I think that would be perfect. And it would be the one killing that Arya maybe doesn't actually want to do, given how they've been treating each other lately. How awful/dramatic would that be.

Maybe it would be her last one, before she becomes Gendry's lady.  Like a realization that a life of death isn't what she wants after having to put down the Hound.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6873 on: May 07, 2019, 02:34:17 PM »
I'm actually more interested to find out if Jaqen H'ghar will wind up being part of Arya's story/ending. It seems to me the Temple of Black and White would come down heavy on someone with their training "giving the gift" for personal reasons.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6874 on: May 07, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
I definitely don't think Arya is going to kill Cersie; I think she has a different target (possibly Daenerys).

I think Cersei dying from a fall would be awesome.

Nah, she deserves a much slower death.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6875 on: May 07, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »
I definitely don't think Arya is going to kill Cersie; I think she has a different target (possibly Daenerys).

I think Cersei dying from a fall would be awesome.

Nah, she deserves a much slower death.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

So a fall down a really long stair case?  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6876 on: May 07, 2019, 03:17:47 PM »
What if in the end Jon really gets the Iron Throne? Sansa would never leave the North, maybe when Cersei goes down and when Dany goes off the edge and Jon or someone has to end her, there's no one left but him.

It would be dramatic irony if, after 8 years of a battle for the throne, the one who gets it is looking somber and miserable while sitting on it. The happy ending many wanted... but not by the new King.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6877 on: May 07, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't want anyone to get the throne?

One of the messages I personally see in this show is that the system is broken and is horrible. To have the show end with the system just continuing on as usual would be a bit of a let down, unless they do it in a Lars Von Trier, everyone sucks kind of way, which I don't think the show would do well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6878 on: May 07, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »
Well, if only the entire system would be wiped out by an existential menace pumped up since the prologue of the first episode of the first season which is also the first scene in the first book.

::)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6879 on: May 07, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »

One of the messages I personally see in this show is that the system is broken and is horrible. To have the show end with the system just continuing on as usual would be a bit of a let down, unless they do it in a Lars Von Trier, everyone sucks kind of way, which I don't think the show would do well.
Agreed on all counts.

Not to mention an ending that bleak would feel too much after 8 seasons of build up and character development.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6880 on: May 07, 2019, 03:27:06 PM »
Well, I just found out David Benioff wrote the screenplay for X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which might explain some things. Woof...

I hope the Throne doesn't even exist and/or that nobody gets it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6881 on: May 07, 2019, 03:43:40 PM »
What if in the end Jon really gets the Iron Throne? Sansa would never leave the North, maybe when Cersei goes down and when Dany goes off the edge and Jon or someone has to end her, there's no one left but him.

It would be dramatic irony if, after 8 years of a battle for the throne, the one who gets it is looking somber and miserable while sitting on it. The happy ending many wanted... but not by the new King.

This seems likely and would fulfill the vision of the red keep burnt down and covered in snow and also the bittersweet ending GRRM is talking about, sure Jon on the throne is kind of a happy ending but is it really when it cost everything for something you didn't even want?

As for how I want it to end, I just want to be satisfied and I think Jon or Dany on it would do that, but also, no one on it would work too.  I think some of the far fetched ideas like Bran or Bronn being on it would be too far out of left field.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6882 on: May 07, 2019, 04:16:49 PM »
Something I just realized. A major missed opportunity for an Easter egg.

They had a whole hall of faces when Arya was training to be batman. Yet NONE of those faces were of Nic Cage.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6883 on: May 07, 2019, 06:11:57 PM »
My friend said the ending has been leaked, not interested in it, but surprised it made it this long.

He did say he is REALLY interested in watching the last two episodes after reading it

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6884 on: May 07, 2019, 06:19:16 PM »
If I get this ending spoiled for me I am going to fill someone's day with fire and blood.  :biggrin:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6885 on: May 07, 2019, 09:06:06 PM »
What kind of leverage does Bron have on Jaime and Tyrion? Did I miss something? Like, as soon as Bron left that room I would've have him caught and imprisoned. Plenty of capable hands to take care of him right there. Bron seems to just have casually walked into Winterfell, threaten them, and walk away while he waits for them to get his prize. Sure, the three have a history, but he threatened their lives, shot an arrow next to Jaime and punched Tyrion as well. Bron is just a single dude on his own it seems.

Yeah, but I doubt it. Honestly, not a whole lot of this and last season are in line with the former messages of this show.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6886 on: May 08, 2019, 01:19:06 AM »
Yeah, Bronn's power play seems a bit weird. Maybe he didn't really mean it - mean it, but he had to show a tough face to not be waved away as their buddy who whines for a castle but in the end does always what he's told.

But let's see the possible outcomes:

Cersei wins: Tyrion showing up at the gates is already proof that Bronn didn't kill at least him, and Jaimie eventually showing up would mean a 0% success for Bronn.

Dany wins: Jaimie / Tyrion say "Look, this asshole threatened us and was about to kill us for Cersei, he can't be trusted anymore, lock him away in a dungeon forever".

He's really counting on the "Lannister always pay their debts" thing. And on dragons. Sorry, dragon.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6887 on: May 08, 2019, 02:06:36 AM »
Dany also has green eyes.

I thought Dany had violet eyes. Perhaps Emilia Clarke just forgot to put her contact lenses in again...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6888 on: May 08, 2019, 02:07:20 AM »
Personally, I was a wee bit disappointed with this episode. It feels like they are in a mad rush to try to wrap everything up in the remaining time.

When Tyrion was standing before Cersei at the gates of King's Landing, I thought for half a second that she was going to kill him right there and then. Certainly, in earlier seasons we couldn't have ruled out a shock like that, but now it feels that all the main characters are safe until the final episode.

I like Bronn, but I think he's overstayed his welcome, for what is really a minor character. How did he manage to sneak into and out of Winterfell with that massive crossbow?  :lol

I know what the Hound's unfinished business is, but what is Arya's? To kill Cersei? It might play out better to have her betrayed by one of her own, ie Jaimie

It will be interesting to see how things are wrapped up, and if the majority of viewers will be satisfied.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6889 on: May 08, 2019, 02:48:51 AM »
I like Bronn, but I think he's overstayed his welcome, for what is really a minor character. How did he manage to sneak into and out of Winterfell with that massive crossbow?  :lol

*shrug*

"I'm bro with the Lannisters brothers, Cersei's a bitch so I deserted her, I want to join them, have you see a dwarf that talks a lot and a dude with a golden hand?"

Something like that I assume.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6890 on: May 08, 2019, 04:41:24 AM »
They kinda just... killed it with these two eps. I can definitely see Dany sinking into rage after she sacrificed so much helped save the world and no one gave her thanks and if she was rejected by Westeros because she is the Mad King's daughter... in the books. Where having an unearned reputation is a recurring theme. Most famously with Jaime, who is despised for kingslaying when actually it was the right thing to do. But here they're playing it completely straight and they want us to believe that Jon would be a much better king because he doesn't want it? We already had that king, his name was Robert Baratheon.

Just a fucking mess. I don't even cheer for Dany, I was never into KHALEESIIIIIIIII. It's clear that her story can't end on the Iron Throne, for so many reasons, as much as she would rule at doing it. She can even be a tragic character, going down in history as a Mad Queen when we know all she wanted was a free folk to rule justly and to break the wheel of power. But the show wants us to think she's actually crazy for saying conquering just one city where a literal terrorist (who already killed thousands of civillians!!!!) resides over life and death is preferable over starving the populace with a siege like the Westerosi lords are used to. Sorry, but those aren't even 21st century morals, those are 22nd century morals we're judging her by.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:51:20 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6891 on: May 08, 2019, 04:53:28 AM »
My problem with the fears of those around her that she could "go mad" is, well, the mad part - In World War II the USA nuked two japanese cities, Japan surrended, and that was it. They didn't nuke Tokio out of spite. They didn't use the nuke in the cold war. They used a terrible weapon for a perceived greater good, and that was it.

As I said previously, let's say Dany targets specifically the Red Keep and burns down Cersei and all her allies. Some civilians die, maybe scores upon scores, maybe hundreds, maybe even a thousand. Too bad. But she gets the throne, she declares herself queen, and then she would just rule. What does Varys fear? that she finds out she likes it? that she goes "Well, I killed some people as collateral damage, I might as well burn people like my father and impose unjust taxes and have everyone's riches taken away to built lifesize statues of me and my dragons all along Westeros"?

Hell, not even Cersei is doing any of that, sure she uses human shields but she passes it up cunningly as a protective move, why would Dany using the equivalent of a nuclear bombing would mean she'd use nukes every time, in every circumstance?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6892 on: May 08, 2019, 05:13:42 AM »
My problem with the fears of those around her that she could "go mad" is, well, the mad part - In World War II the USA nuked two japanese cities, Japan surrended, and that was it. They didn't nuke Tokio out of spite. They didn't use the nuke in the cold war. They used a terrible weapon for a perceived greater good, and that was it.

As I said previously, let's say Dany targets specifically the Red Keep and burns down Cersei and all her allies. Some civilians die, maybe scores upon scores, maybe hundreds, maybe even a thousand. Too bad. But she gets the throne, she declares herself queen, and then she would just rule. What does Varys fear? that she finds out she likes it? that she goes "Well, I killed some people as collateral damage, I might as well burn people like my father and impose unjust taxes and have everyone's riches taken away to built lifesize statues of me and my dragons all along Westeros"?

Hell, not even Cersei is doing any of that, sure she uses human shields but she passes it up cunningly as a protective move, why would Dany using the equivalent of a nuclear bombing would mean she'd use nukes every time, in every circumstance?
In the books, I can buy that - ADWD ends with her realizing that dragons plant no trees, she did have some questionable decisions (Quentyn) and presumably she will use her dragons at some point in Westeros in order to fight book Euron and [redacted, character that appears in the book but not in the show]. So to speak, she is already going slightly mad in season 6, not season 8, in the books.

In the show, pretty much all the burning she did was to free slaves and punish the Tarly traitors, and she would have let them take the black instead anyway. She listens dutifully to Tyrion (she is much better at taking council than Jon), goes up with her dragons and armies to fight the war for mankind, loses half her army, proposes that they should win the easiest and most morally justifiable war ever by torching one city, but suddenly her advisors aren't the unscrupulous son of noted hardass Tywin Lannister and a dude who used to cut off children's tongues and raise them to be his spies, they're now winners of the Nobel peace prize for 2025. But if they articulated it a little better, I could still swallow it... this way it's just, "yeah we have a good conqueror with dragons and armies on our hands, but isn't it great how Jon is also a Targ but really doesn't wanna rule at all?"

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6893 on: May 08, 2019, 08:06:25 AM »
I'd imagine the Red Keep is surrounded by the huge crossbows.  I actually wouldn't think it's even safe to bring the dragon near it without taking down their defenses. I actually think a siege would make more sense except I'm not sure how that works if Euron has the seas so Dany can't even surround the city. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6894 on: May 08, 2019, 08:14:00 AM »
Daydreaming here:

The Golden Company is out there somehow, they will attack the combined forces of Dany and the North. They could and they SHOULD carry around a scorpion to fend off the dragon.

Daario could arrive as a suprise reinforcement, and maybe, if it's not too much to beg, not at the very last second (seriously. Enough with people arriving at the last moment, ever, in any movie) - they could be the skilled elite soldiers who attack the Golden Company and aim for the scorpion. Once the scorpion is destroyed or rendered ineffective.... what Missandei suggested? Dracarys. The Golden Company is toast.

Also, Daario and Grey Worm already sneeked into Yunkai and opened its gates - have them sneak into King's Landing at night, and create mayhem on the defense lines. Then Drogon arrives and burns the other ballistas.

Seriously, it would be cool if Dany and Grey Worm were so pissed that they would talk between each other and decide "Screw Tyion and Varys, we do it my way, and we avenge Missandei. How do you plan to take out the scorpions?", with an actual soldier and commander having an actual battle plan.

But I'm afraid none of this would justify Dany going full crazy, so it won't happen.