Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646199 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3395 on: April 25, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »
I have no idea what the end with the red lady was so will wait and see.

I think she took off the necklace, which seemed to preserve her in some younger state, so she can finally die. I think the twist is that everyone sees her as the savior but she has finally decided to let herself die. It would play into the hopeless frustration that the world of GOT is known for.

Hmmmmmmmm

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3396 on: April 25, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »

I think she took off the necklace, which seemed to preserve her in some younger state, so she can finally die. I think the twist is that everyone sees her as the savior but she has finally decided to let herself die. It would play into the hopeless frustration that the world of GOT is known for.

Why do you think she went to bed to die?  I took that as just a glimpse into her life alone and that she had been glamoring herself the entire time.  Unless you think she is dying to give her life to Jon?  Why is this in small font?
I'm also not sure why it's such small font, but there you go. The necklace doesn't preserve a person, it presents an illusion. Though from what I remember in season 5 they didn't use that with Mance Rayder (unless that's still to come) so it's a bit out of the blue. DoC's post makes that a bit confusing, but I kinda get the feeling they're just making shit up at this point.

Anyway, alright episode overall, some good stuff, but the Dorne stuff just gets worse and worse. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3397 on: April 25, 2016, 01:35:46 PM »
(Also I might be misremembering but I think Mel did take off her necklace in either S3 or S4. But I might be wrong on that one, so not really complaining here.)

Hmmmmmmmm

Yeah, that scene is what I was talking about.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3398 on: April 25, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »
Every show screws up. It happens.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3399 on: April 25, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
There's also speculation that it might be the potion bottles on the table she had which might be hiding her age. That along with the necklace could be putting up that illusion. I dunno, not going to make assumptions until the next few episodes or if they actually explain it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3400 on: April 25, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »

Yeah, don't get me started on how all the Sand Snakes were standing and watching the ships with Jaime, Trystane and Myrcella departing from Dorne in S5E10, Ellaria doing her dramatic handkerchief throw and all of them leaving the pier... only to end up on the same ship with Trystane.

There's also speculation that it might be the potion bottles on the table she had which might be hiding her age. That along with the necklace could be putting up that illusion. I dunno, not going to make assumptions until the next few episodes or if they actually explain it.

You're right, could be it. I just don't have a lot of faith in the show at this point, but we'll see.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3401 on: April 25, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »

This is what I was thinking, the necklace is just part of it somehow.  I'm holding off on "how this exactly works" because I'm not sure that we've seen the last of it or all of how it works.  The potions were hinted at before for being useful so they could definitely play a role.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3402 on: April 25, 2016, 02:12:35 PM »

Yeah, don't get me started on how all the Sand Snakes were standing and watching the ships with Jaime, Trystane and Myrcella departing from Dorne in S5E10, Ellaria doing her dramatic handkerchief throw and all of them leaving the pier... only to end up on the same ship with Trystane.

You're right, could be it. I just don't have a lot of faith in the show at this point, but we'll see.

I was under the impression that Trystane's boat docked back at Dorne.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #3403 on: April 25, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
I was really expecting something more with Jon Snow than what we saw, but then it would have been to obvious and predictable to have him come back in Episode 1. It was kind of clichéd how Brienne turned up at exactly the right moment, but at least we knew she was in the area already, so it made sense plot-wise. I prefered that to just having Sansa go back to Winterfell with the guards. Tyrion's scene was not really that special, it seemed like the main point was just to set up the scenery and remind viewers of the political situation in Meereen. Jorah and Daario were ok I guess, but again just a set up. Dany's scene was pretty much exactly what I thought would happen. I don't really like what they are doing to Jaime's character, but I'm interested to see where they're going with it. At least his change back to old Jaime seems believable, seeing what has happened to him. My favourite part where definitely the wall scenes, some interesting developments there. I'm really curious about what happened to Melisandre now. Dorne was slightly less ridiculous than last season, but I still hope they cut that part as short as possible given how they've been handling it.

So overall, it was a nice season opener but I do hope it gets better as the season continues.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3404 on: April 25, 2016, 02:58:57 PM »
Funny thing about the picture of Melisandre bathing - that's exactly what I was thinking about when I saw her without necklage, and I just was sure that she was bathing wearing it, and now here I find this picture of her not wearing it. I assume the writers thought our minds were deceived same as mine, "She must have wore it all the time"  ;D

Didn't think about the sand snakes being on the dock and then on the boat with Trystan, that's such a massive error! also decapitating the whole Dorne storyline with that coup was kinda meh.

For the rest the episode was good, the problem is that when you stick 48 cliffhangers in the previous season finale, you have to "waste" an episode resolving them.

And... for being massive super masters of total secrecy and deceit, to the point that they can switch faces, why o why the blonde girl started a fight with blind Arya in the middle of the damn street? I can totally understand training to fight when blind, but why doing it in plain view of everyone???
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3405 on: April 25, 2016, 03:07:33 PM »
Potential and plausible explanation of the necklace/bathing thing from a year ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2a7go9/spoliers_acok_regarding_melisandres_ruby_necklace/cisasro

Interesting.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3406 on: April 25, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »
Potential and plausible explanation of the necklace/bathing thing from a year ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2a7go9/spoliers_acok_regarding_melisandres_ruby_necklace/cisasro

Interesting.

Awesome find.  Works for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3407 on: April 25, 2016, 03:18:05 PM »
Interesting theory  :tup

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3408 on: April 26, 2016, 12:15:04 AM »
Since when has Jamie turned back into "old Jamie". He has always been the same person, we've just learned more about him. The experiences of S2-3 probably made some difference, but he's still the same guy at he was before all that at heart. I don't know what you expect him to do differently.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3409 on: April 26, 2016, 02:25:51 AM »
Yeah, great first episode! I did have some trouble with Brienne turning up 'right in time' to save Sansa and Theon (I guess he's earned his name back) but I had even more trouble with Pod being with her. Where has he been hiding all season 5? Yeah, the Dorne stuff....  :\ But overall...good stuff!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3410 on: April 26, 2016, 04:21:08 AM »
Pod was with Brienne in every one of her scenes in season 5. Him being there is not weird.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3411 on: April 26, 2016, 04:49:00 AM »
Pod was with Brienne in every one of her scenes in season 5. Him being there is not weird.
Yeah exactly, not sure what's weird about that.

I also don't have a problem with Brienne arriving at just the right time. She was right in that area, and actively trying to find Sansa. The timing is very convenient, sure, but that's just for dramatic effect, to build some tension.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3412 on: April 26, 2016, 05:08:29 AM »

Why do you think she went to bed to die?  I took that as just a glimpse into her life alone and that she had been glamoring herself the entire time.  Unless you think she is dying to give her life to Jon?  Why is this in small font?

Because the show had just aired and I wasn't sure who hadn't seen it yet (seems OK now). Seeing that picture now I can see where I'm probably not correct but honestly I just expect misery at every instance where it seems like something is hopeful due to how the show/universe works. I didn't know if that necklace was keeping her younger looking and alive or if she's eternal and just ages like a normal person so I was opting for the former.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3413 on: April 26, 2016, 05:45:43 AM »
Yeah, great first episode! I did have some trouble with Brienne turning up 'right in time' to save Sansa and Theon (I guess he's earned his name back) but I had even more trouble with Pod being with her. Where has he been hiding all season 5? Yeah, the Dorne stuff....  :\ But overall...good stuff!

When wasn't Pod with Brienne in season 5?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3414 on: April 26, 2016, 06:51:35 AM »
I think it's funny that so many people are trying to nitpick every little thing on the show because they don't want to admit how awesome this show it.  ;)

As far as the "errors" of the episode I think it's 100% plausible that Brienne was following the hounds after the battle which would logically lead her to Sansa. I already mentioned that I thought Trystane's docked back at Dorne which the sandsnakes then boarded and killed him. While not an error, I think it would have been more "emotional" for Jamie to kill Trystane. The necklace theory above makes sense.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3415 on: April 26, 2016, 07:10:34 AM »
Hell, I was the first to tell people this show is awesome during the first four seasons - I was willing to forgive a lot of flaws back then, because I felt the show writers cared about it and about making a faithful adaptation. Season 5 butchered this feeling completely.

I'll address the plot points arguments when I get home,  but honestly, with posts like this one

I think it's funny that so many people are trying to nitpick every little thing on the show because they don't want to admit how awesome this show it.  ;)

directed at me I think this is the last episode I'm going to bother with this.

It's funny how some people who like the show don't want to admit it's possible for some fans to dislike it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3416 on: April 26, 2016, 07:39:16 AM »
I don't have a problem with people who dislike the show, no one is supposed to be all over it. I think what kaos is saying is that the nitpicking is, well, very picky. I think a case could be made of any and all coincidences on the show. 'Tyrion just had to be in the Inn that Catelynn Stark was..', 'Bronn just had to volunteer for Tyrion's trial by combat..', 'Drogon just happened to show up at the right time..' I think all these could be worthy nitpicking candidates, I personally don't examine these plot point conveniences that closely as literally everything could be a problem.

With this first episode, I've read criticism online for pretty much every single scene, from complaining about the short length of the episode to the writers falling into TV trope land...etc.. I'm just glad I'm enjoying the hell out of this show.

And don't get me wrong there are some very valid criticisms on each episode, I think I just tend to not let most or any of the issues bother me.
 Ever since I stopped watching trailers, interviews, TV spots, reading online discussions, raising my own expectations, I find myself enjoying movies and shows a ton more than I used to.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:53:27 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3417 on: April 26, 2016, 07:41:58 AM »
I'm just glad I'm enjoying the hell out of this show.

Me too.  I think there is lots of room for fair negative criticism of the show, but some of the criticism is just nitpicking for nitpicking sake and I'm not directing that at anyone here specifically.  It happens with everything, but since GoT is so popular, you see it a bit more often.  And it often comes from book readers too, and I think we will see more of that now that this is all in the hands of the show writers. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3418 on: April 26, 2016, 09:06:59 AM »
Nothing wrong per se with the "nitpicking."  When a show goes to the great lengths that GoT does to be very detailed, they should be held accountable when something falls through the cracks.  Of course, many times they turn out not to be problems at all, in the long run.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3419 on: April 26, 2016, 09:47:07 AM »
Yeah, hey, I'm back home and I pretty much got over it. Guess it was the end of a working day that riled me up a bit. Sorry about that. I've read the reddit theory though, I don't really buy it myself since I'm kind of biased in a bad way about the show now, but it's certainly an interesting theory.

I want to rest instead of typing up the huge post again, so I'll just address these two points and peacefully walk away to GMD.

Since when has Jamie turned back into "old Jamie". He has always been the same person, we've just learned more about him. The experiences of S2-3 probably made some difference, but he's still the same guy at he was before all that at heart. I don't know what you expect him to do differently.

Well, yes, I guess I'll have to admit that was expected from show version of Jaime, which is kind of far and away from book version of Jaime at this point. I, for one, miss his character progression from the books, especially in the AFFC, where he tried to balance and juggle his loyalty to the family, his twisted sense of honor and morality and actually starts to show some smallest seeds of a probable redemption arc. Hell, show-Jaime is still all over the moon for Cersei it seems.

I don't have a problem with people who dislike the show, no one is supposed to be all over it. I think what kaos is saying is that the nitpicking is, well, very picky. I think a case could be made of any and all coincidences on the show. 'Tyrion just had to be in the Inn that Catelynn Stark was..', 'Bronn just had to volunteer for Tyrion's trial by combat..', 'Drogon just happened to show up at the right time..' I think all these could be worthy nitpicking candidates, I personally don't examine these plot point conveniences that closely as literally everything could be a problem.

I guess the problem with plot conveniences is that if you're doing that in a moderate amount, it's alright, but if you're putting them in every now and then, it stretches credibility of the plot big time. And I know the "moderate" amount is a subjective thing - someone could be bothered by only a few of them happening across all the story, and some people will be fine with dozens of these. And for me, personally, plot conveniences regarding Brienne are already past that moderate amount. First she encounters Sansa in a random tavern, then she finds Arya and the Hound (okay this wasn't that bad - even though the guards at the gates turning them away without even raising an eyebrow and considering the consequences was bad), then she magically finds Stannis alone in the woods after the battle, then she arrives just in time to save Sansa and Theon... I mean, you probably can explain them all plausibly with some stretches, but that's just over the top in terms of plot convenience to me. It's like Catelyn would've met Tyrion in the tavern and take him captive, then found Jaime in the next tavern and take him captive, and then found Tywin Lannister strolling in the woods and whatever.

(Also, I know you were just providing it as an example, but Bronn volunteering for Tyrion made a lot of sense.)

In fact, I think I might've enjoyed the show more if I was just a casual fan, not very familiar with the books (as in, read them once), fan theories and the whole ASOIAF universe. Or maybe not. No way to know it now!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3420 on: April 26, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »
The problem with plot conveniances is that it's hard to avoid them if you need to speed up the story and give it a bit more energy. Frankly, the source material at this point drags on so damn slowly. I'm not saying it's the only way to speed things up, but I can see why they go for it as it creates some excitement and tension. GoT doesn't use them any more than most comparable shows.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:00:48 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3421 on: April 26, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »
I'm not saying that there haven't been a bit many conveniances in Brienne's story line, but I really think this recent one isn't one of them. If one of the Bolton men had been just about to kill either Sansa or Theon, like sword raised above his head, then it'd be "just the right time". But that wasn't the case at all. They were just being captured. "Just the right time" in this case isn't really a single moment of convenient arrival. She could have found them 10 minutes later and it would still be a good time. And considering she was in the area, I don't really get what all the fuss is about.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3422 on: April 26, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »
Just watched the season 2 episode 1 scene with Melisandre and Stannis' maester.  Where he tries to poison her, but when she drinks the poisoned wine, she is fine, but if you watch closely... the red stone in her necklace is clearly pulsing brightly.  I read about that so I had to watch it for myself since I never picked up on that in the show.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3423 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:54 AM »
Just watched the season 2 episode 1 scene with Melisandre and Stannis' maester.  Where he tries to poison her, but when she drinks the poisoned wine, she is fine, but if you watch closely... the red stone in her necklace is clearly pulsing brightly.  I read about that so I had to watch it for myself since I never picked up on that in the show.

Yeah, I remember that one and I think it was in the books too.

I'm not saying that there haven't been a bit many conveniances in Brienne's story line, but I really think this recent one isn't one of them. If one of the Bolton men had been just about to kill either Sansa or Theon, like sword raised above his head, then it'd be "just the right time". But that wasn't the case at all. They were just being captured. "Just the right time" in this case isn't really a single moment of convenient arrival. She could have found them 10 minutes later and it would still be a good time. And considering she was in the area, I don't really get what all the fuss is about.

Well, I think that the moment when the guards started dragging Sansa with them was as hopeless and as perfect moment for the help to arrive as it gets, in terms of a TV-show.

In fact I probably would've been fine if it happened 10 minutes later. It wouldn't look as contrived as it did. To each his own I guess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3424 on: April 26, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »

Well, I think that the moment when the guards started dragging Sansa with them was as hopeless and as perfect moment for the help to arrive as it gets, in terms of a TV-show.

In fact I probably would've been fine if it happened 10 minutes later. It wouldn't look as contrived as it did. To each his own I guess.

It's just about creating drama and a moment of excitement.  It's used all throughout entertainment. 

And yea, the pulsing red stone is in the books (I recall it catching Jon's eyes often) but never noticed it in the TV show or even thought to pay attention to it until now.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3425 on: April 26, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »
Going back to the last episode, one of my favorite moment was when Ramsey gave that impassioned tribute about Myranda and ended with the quip of saving her good meat  for the dogs. :eek ???  Classic Ramsey.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3426 on: April 26, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »
Going back to the last episode, one of my favorite moment was when Ramsey gave that impassioned tribute about Myranda and ended with the quip of saving her good meat  for the dogs. :eek ???  Classic Ramsey.

:lol   that was great and fit that character perfectly. Any other response wouldn't have done.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3427 on: April 26, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »

:lol   that was great and fit that character perfectly. Any other response wouldn't have done.

Agreed, he really does love his dogs  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3428 on: April 26, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »

Speaking of going to that season, I was slightly disappointed that they didn't include Patchface, only because I was curious to see how they would have cast him and how true to the book the character would have acted. It's not a major loss, obviously. He's just one of those characters that I was curious about because of the theories behind his prophecies. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3429 on: April 26, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »

Speaking of going to that season, I was slightly disappointed that they didn't include Patchface, only because I was curious to see how they would have cast him and how true to the book the character would have acted. It's not a major loss, obviously. He's just one of those characters that I was curious about because of the theories behind his prophecies.

True, but the show mostly kept all of the prophecies out although we saw Cersei talk a bit about those last episode