Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646222 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2135 on: March 19, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
I'm a bit bummed that they went through the monster of a book that is AFFC/ADWD in just one season. I had hoped that it would take 2, and that The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring would make 3 seasons. But that was just me really really wanting to have 9 seasons. But right now it seems like TWoW and ADoS will only get a season each, and that it'll only be 7 total.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2136 on: March 19, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »
I'm a bit bummed that they went through the monster of a book that is AFFC/ADWD in just one season. I had hoped that it would take 2, and that The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring would make 3 seasons. But that was just me really really wanting to have 9 seasons. But right now it seems like TWoW and ADoS will only get a season each, and that it'll only be 7 total.

You read that AFFC/ADWD is just going to be one season?   That seems like a lot of material to shove into 10 episodes.  Also, he will NEVER catch up with the TV show at that rate. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2137 on: March 19, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »

You read that AFFC/ADWD is just going to be one season?   That seems like a lot of material to shove into 10 episodes.  Also, he will NEVER catch up with the TV show at that rate.

I think those two will come out to 1.5 seasons.  The problem is that they incorporated some storylines into season 3 and season 4 and now season 5 will be based on the bulk of those books.  It also appears a big part of those books will be cut out (or not included until next season).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2138 on: March 19, 2015, 07:18:36 PM »

I think those two will come out to 1.5 seasons.  The problem is that they incorporated some storylines into season 3 and season 4 and now season 5 will be based on the bulk of those books.  It also appears a big part of those books will be cut out (or not included until next season).

I'm hoping they trim down the Greyjoy chapters from book 4.  Those were so boring in my opinion, 

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2139 on: March 19, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
I remember reading that one of the reasons they jumped forward was that several major characters would have been completely absent for a whole season.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2140 on: March 20, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »
Recent interview with an HBO executive said that he would prefer 10 seasons, but that the producers seem to feel that 7 or 8 would be appropriate, and they would be allowed to dictate that.

He also shot down a rumor (promulgated, in part, by Martin) that the finale should be done as a theatrical film.  He said that would be unfair to the HBO subscribers (and he's right).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2141 on: March 20, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
I don't see the need for a film. Just get to RT+LS=JS

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: March 20, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
I remember reading that one of the reasons they jumped forward was that several major characters would have been completely absent for a whole season.

Well apparently that is happening this season with a character .... Bran and Hodor

I'm hoping they trim down the Greyjoy chapters from book 4.  Those were so boring in my opinion, 

That is one of the large storylines I was referring too, and I actually found the greyjoys to be one of the better parts of books 4 and 5, but no one has any idea how they will play out in the end so leaving it out of the show may not be a big loss

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2143 on: March 20, 2015, 09:06:07 AM »
I much preferred Arya and where she wound up in Book 4. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2144 on: March 20, 2015, 09:50:14 AM »
Without getting into details and spoilers, I do think a lot of the new characters and stories that Martin introduced in books 4 and 5 are primarily to richen the battle for power going on in Westeros and across the sea. I really don't think all those plotlines are necessarily "going anywhere", and so am content if some are scrapped entirely (as long as D&D know for a fact they're not going anywhere, otherwise it might not make any sense!).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: March 20, 2015, 12:27:32 PM »
Without getting into details and spoilers, I do think a lot of the new characters and stories that Martin introduced in books 4 and 5 are primarily to richen the battle for power going on in Westeros and across the sea. I really don't think all those plotlines are necessarily "going anywhere", and so am content if some are scrapped entirely (as long as D&D know for a fact they're not going anywhere, otherwise it might not make any sense!).

Agreed.  We just don't know as readers if they go anywhere since those storylines were new in the last books and most didnt come to any conclusion.  As far as we all know, D&D do know how it all plays out so if they say they can be cut, then they etiher dont play a large part in the overall story or other characters can take their roles in the show, which theyve already done in the past and we will see in this season with at least one character that I know of for a fact.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2146 on: March 21, 2015, 02:54:51 AM »
He also shot down a rumor (promulgated, in part, by Martin) that the finale should be done as a theatrical film.  He said that would be unfair to the HBO subscribers (and he's right).

This makes me sad. I would absolutely love for the final episode to be a movie, and I have been hoping for years that they'd do it like that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2147 on: March 21, 2015, 03:50:08 AM »

This makes me sad. I would absolutely love for the final episode to be a movie, and I have been hoping for years that they'd do it like that.
Why?  What could they do in a 2-hour movie that they can't do in a 10-hour season?

And he's right, that would be fucked up for subscribers to have to pay extra to see the finale.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2148 on: March 21, 2015, 04:23:27 AM »
More like what they could do with a 2 hour movie what they wouldn't in a final 1 hour episode. So there would be more time. The budget would sky-rocket. I know GoT already has like the biggest budget on TV, but a movie-budget would definetely help for a final epic mega-episode. There would most likely be zero limitations. And finishing off the series with a proper theater experience would be epic. They might show the final episode in theaters anyways, but there is always the risk that it will only get the US treatment, and we others are left out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2149 on: March 21, 2015, 04:58:59 AM »
I don't see anything preventing them from doing on TV what they could do in a theater, other than the size of the screen.

There won't be a budget problem.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2150 on: March 21, 2015, 05:15:14 AM »
There won't be a budget problem.
Yeah, seriously.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2151 on: March 24, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »
Urgh, season 5 needs a new poster asap. The one everyone is using at the moment is so rubbish.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2152 on: April 09, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »
I watched the first 8 episodes of GOT and was pretty bored. What's wrong with me?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2153 on: April 09, 2015, 08:59:32 AM »
No idea, maybe you were expecting more frequent fantasy sword-action?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2154 on: April 09, 2015, 09:24:53 AM »
I watched the first 8 episodes of GOT and was pretty bored. What's wrong with me?

What  disappointed you about it?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: April 09, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »
Pay more attention?  Theres a lot of dialogue and if you dont pay attention a lot goes over your head and a lot of things from season 1 come back up in later seasons and if you didnt pay attention you miss out on so much! 

Reality is the show isnt for everyone, but that doesnt mean it isnt the best show on TV (or maybe the history of TV IMO).

Edit, I should add that maybe watch one more episode  :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2156 on: April 09, 2015, 09:54:16 AM »
I wouldn't say I was dissapointed, I just wasn't really feeling it. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool show. Lots a blood, cool sets, neat scenery, etc.. But it just wasn't grabbing me. Shame too, I really wanted to get into it.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: April 09, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »
For me, the show really picked up going into Season 2. Season 1 is mostly an introduction into the world and it's many characters, with all the more interesting plots developing from that foundation. Ratings have increased substantially season to season, so it only gets better from where you're at now.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2158 on: April 09, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
I wouldn't say I was dissapointed, I just wasn't really feeling it. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool show. Lots a blood, cool sets, neat scenery, etc.. But it just wasn't grabbing me. Shame too, I really wanted to get into it.

The coolest part of the 1st season was at the end of the last episode.  I don't want to say why because you might decide to finish off the season.  Then again, you might not be as obsessed with these creatures as much as I am.    :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: April 09, 2015, 12:02:35 PM »

The coolest part of the 1st season was at the end of the last episode.  I don't want to say why because you might decide to finish off the season.  Then again, you might not be as obsessed with these creatures as much as I am.    :lol

That may be the coolest part, but the climax is definitely episode 9 so Chino should definitely just finish out the season if you already made it 8 episodes deep and then decide if you want to continue.

For me, the show really picked up going into Season 2. Season 1 is mostly an introduction into the world and it's many characters, with all the more interesting plots developing from that foundation. Ratings have increased substantially season to season, so it only gets better from where you're at now.

I felt this was the case for me too.  I didn't read the books until after season 2 and that was the season that turned me from a fan into a diehard.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2160 on: April 10, 2015, 10:45:37 PM »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2161 on: April 10, 2015, 11:59:53 PM »
That is one disgusting kid.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2162 on: April 11, 2015, 06:15:56 AM »
I hate that fucking kid.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2163 on: April 11, 2015, 09:04:34 AM »
But he just wants to see things fly!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: April 11, 2015, 10:15:49 AM »
 :lol I'm really interested in seeing where his story goes this season along with Littlefinger and Sansa, can't wait for Sunday!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2165 on: April 11, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
So, all kidding aside...  Who is going to wind up on the iron throne at the end?    Any speculation and why that person?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2166 on: April 11, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
The way this series is going, Tommen is probably gonna end up skewered on it....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2167 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »
I'm so pumped right now. Finally S5 and also finally GTAV.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2168 on: April 11, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »
So, all kidding aside...  Who is going to wind up on the iron throne at the end?    Any speculation and why that person?

Possible Spoiler!!!

There's a theory circulating on the internet that Jon Snow is really the son of the mad king's son and Ned Stark's sister. He is Ice. Daenerys is Fire. A Song of Ice and Fire...

They like to "keep it in the family" so to speak. Jon sits on the Iron Throne with Daenerys as his queen.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2169 on: April 11, 2015, 12:13:21 PM »
I have one theory about the future of the iron throne, but I don't know how many are considering the details I'm thinking of specifically, so I will keep it to myself until proven right or wrong.