Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646196 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1750 on: May 20, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »
How could you not have faith in episode 9?  Its historically the most insane episode of the season.

Yeah I know, but at first I only thought this episode 9 would only be the Magnar and Ygritte and that gang's attack on the wall, and I didn't think that would be enough for the "big battle" they've promised us in previews and stuff. But then when I got to the chapter where Mance first reaches the wall I understood that that's probably going to be the big thing. That should be really epic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1751 on: May 20, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »
How could you not have faith in episode 9?  Its historically the most insane episode of the season.

Yeah I know, but at first I only thought this episode 9 would only be the Magnar and Ygritte and that gang's attack on the wall, and I didn't think that would be enough for the "big battle" they've promised us in previews and stuff. But then when I got to the chapter where Mance first reaches the wall I understood that that's probably going to be the big thing. That should be really epic.

Actually, the producers said there wouldn't be a signature "Episode 9" moment, that the episodes would be more consistent this season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1752 on: May 20, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »

Actually, the producers said there wouldn't be a signature "Episode 9" moment, that the episodes would be more consistent this season.

Even a TV spoiler:

I am pretty sure episode 9 is entirely at the wall and will be the battle against the wildlings from both sides of the wall, to me thats a pretty signature "Episode 9" moment, just like in season 2 it as entirely at Kings Landing for the Battle at Blackwater Bay.  Then again, I havent seen the episode so maybe it wont be, but from what I read, I can sleep comfortably knowing this episode 9 will be amazing

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1753 on: May 20, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »
Hey guys, wanna see something incredible? From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_(season_4)#Ratings

Those numbers on the Y-axis are viewers in the millions. Red is season 1, green is season 2, blue is season 3, and purple is season 4. This hype-train just ain't slowin' down.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1754 on: May 20, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
I used that to try and convince my fiance to watch the show.  She refuses to watch it (from what I believe is all of the nudity) but I told her yesterday, "What show can claim thier fourth season ratings continue to grow?" Im sure there are some examples, but its amazing that a show on a pay channel can grow like that every season, especially a show that you cant really just start watching out of no where.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1755 on: May 22, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »
And because this is a premium channel, although obviously Nielsen can't count the pirated views, I'm sure those add at least another million to the total count. Or people like myself, who use their parents' premium account to access it from elsewhere (what copyright calls time-shifting).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1756 on: May 22, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »
If piracy of an episode within 24 hours was added and the rest of the world included, it would probably tripple the numbers.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1757 on: May 22, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
If piracy of an episode within 24 hours was added and the rest of the world included, it would probably tripple the numbers.

Which boggles my mind why HBO doesn't to sell a stream on their website or something.  I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for each episode.  They make it SOOO HARD for non TV viewers and non-HBO subscribers to watch their programming....

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1758 on: May 22, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »
I think it has something to do with the FCC classifying it as a "cable company."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1759 on: May 22, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »

Which boggles my mind why HBO doesn't to sell a stream on their website or something.  I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for each episode.  They make it SOOO HARD for non TV viewers and non-HBO subscribers to watch their programming....
We basically have that in the UK. It airs on Sky Atlantic here, and I subsribe to NowTV which is basically Sky's online platform with digital versions of 10 channels and loads of catch up. That's how I watch GoT, among other shows.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: May 22, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »
I have found other means in the past... but I travel a lot now so i subscribe to HBO now and make use of HBOGO.  I like it a lot.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1761 on: May 23, 2014, 04:56:15 AM »

They are probably afraid that something like that would lead to a reduction in their subscriber base.  I have HBO, but honestly it's mostly for their shows and HBO GO.  I hardly ever just tune in to one of the HBO channels, but I can, because I'm a subscriber.

If I had a way to watch their shows only, at a cheaper rate than my subscription, I would take it.  And so would a lot of their other customers, I would wager.  Which would be bad business.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1762 on: May 23, 2014, 05:00:19 AM »
I end up downloading the episodes even though I have HBOGO. For some reason it just doesn't stream very well. I hope they can improve the software.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: May 23, 2014, 01:38:23 PM »
I end up downloading the episodes even though I have HBOGO. For some reason it just doesn't stream very well. I hope they can improve the software.

The only time I've ever had issues with the streaming are when this show is immediately available.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1764 on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:04 AM »

The only time I've ever had issues with the streaming are when this show is immediately available.
Yeah, and I've never understood that.  The thing I don't understand is why are so many HBO subscribers trying to watch it on a tablet or phone when they could just watch it on their TV?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1765 on: May 24, 2014, 05:06:51 AM »
It's a copyright law thing, actually (the streaming issue). I can't remember the text of the actual code provision, but it has something to do with a transmission not being an infringement only if there's a delay from the copyright owner's actual broadcast.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1766 on: May 24, 2014, 06:06:08 AM »
Its her parent's cable account. We chip in a little bit (something like ~5 a month) and they let us use their HBOGO.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1767 on: May 24, 2014, 06:28:19 AM »
Its her parent's cable account. We chip in a little bit (something like ~5 a month) and they let us use their HBOGO.
On an individual basis like yours, that's understandable.  But there were all kinds of problems with people watching this season's first episode on debut night on HBOGO, and I was just thinking, why are that many people watching a debut episode on HBOGO instead of just tuning in to HBO itself?  Then there wouldn't be this traffic problem.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1768 on: May 24, 2014, 06:44:34 AM »
Yeah I'm not sure. I've also read that D&D dont care so much about piracy. They later had to go back and take that back (obviously).

Maybe lots of people weren't home?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: May 24, 2014, 09:43:51 AM »
I know for me I travel for work a lot so I have to watch it on hbogo if im away. Theres no reason to watch it on stream when I am home and I dont know why anyone would do that.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1770 on: May 25, 2014, 09:55:34 PM »
Started this show 2 weeks ago and already caught up. It's pretty amazing. Already one of my favorite shows.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1771 on: May 25, 2014, 09:59:09 PM »
Started this show 3 days ago and already caught up. It's pretty amazing. Already one of my favourite shows.

FTFM.  Brilliant. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1772 on: May 25, 2014, 10:58:52 PM »
Holy shit dude!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1773 on: May 26, 2014, 05:44:10 AM »
Holy shit dude!

Wait, did the episode show last night?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1774 on: May 26, 2014, 05:51:02 AM »
No, next week.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1775 on: May 26, 2014, 07:42:01 AM »
That was in response to sneakyblueberry watching 37 episodes in 3 days.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1776 on: May 26, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »
That was in response to sneakyblueberry watching 37 episodes in 3 days.

Thank God my wife is into it.  After several attempts to get her into Breaking Bad, I'm glad this stuck.  It might be all the floppy weens I dunno. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: June 01, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »
This f'n show. My mind is blown.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1778 on: June 01, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
Yeah that was an awesome episode. Arya's laugh was hysterical.

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1779 on: June 01, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »
Well, that went as I expected. Saw it coming but it still - damn!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1780 on: June 01, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »
Well, that went as I expected. Saw it coming but it still - damn!

Yeah, you could definitely sense it coming.....Wow! If Oberyn had only just killed the guy...

I suspect that the mountain dies from his wounds...I mean, there's no way they're killing off Tyrion.

Yeah that was an awesome episode. Arya's laugh was hysterical.

Arya's laugh was great  :lol

Are Sansa and Little Finger gonna be the new power couple? She's workin' it now....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: June 01, 2014, 10:22:21 PM »
This is the first time this show has ever "disappointed" me in the sense of, couldn't they just let Oberyn get the 'revenge' he deserved? I mean, I'm assuming and guessing the mountain is going to die anyway which will allow some sort of loophole law for Tyrion to live...but man, can't one character just catch a friggin' break? You gotta pop the guys head like a zit? Man....

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1782 on: June 01, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
I see what you did there!

I suspect that the mountain dies from his wounds...I mean, there's no way they're killing off Tyrion.
He's already been sentenced, the Mountain living or dying has no bearing on that. Also, after 3 seasons of the show, haven't we learned that there should never be a "there's no way this or that is dying" talk. :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: June 01, 2014, 10:29:18 PM »
I see what you did there!

He's already been sentenced, the Mountain living or dying has no bearing on that. Also, after 3 seasons of the show, haven't we learned that there should never be a "there's no way this or that is dying" talk. :lol

Point taken. I guess I should say, if Tyrion dies...we riot.... :lol

But it'd be silly to me to kill off the single character that kind of holds the whole show together. He steals every scene he's in....anyway. I guess I could hope.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1784 on: June 01, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »
Holy shit I don't know how to feel
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing