Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 220923 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1190 on: July 23, 2012, 11:06:41 PM »
I think at some point during writing this movie Christopher Nolan should have wikied "nuclear fusion" and found out that the first hydrogen bomb was tested 60 years ago.

And? The reactor was nothing like a normal nuclear power plant nor can a normal nuclear reactor be easily turned into a bomb, which was the whole issue with the movie one. Not really sure what the problem is.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1191 on: July 23, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
I think at some point during writing this movie Christopher Nolan should have wikied "nuclear fusion" and found out that the first hydrogen bomb was tested 60 years ago.

And? The reactor was nothing like a normal nuclear power plant nor can a normal nuclear reactor be easily turned into a bomb, which was the whole issue with the movie one. Not really sure what the problem is.

Batman was all "this technology is so risky... someone could turn the power of nuclear fusion into a weapon!!!", ignoring that that particular ship sailed a long time ago.  Might as well have been worrying about Wayne Corporation's lumber operations in case someone sharpened a piece of wood.

And it's waaaaaaay easier to build a fusion bomb than a fusion reactor.  Any Western country can build the former; we're 15-20 years at least away from the latter.

I have a lot of problems with this movie, I just chose this to gripe about.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1192 on: July 23, 2012, 11:37:10 PM »
Didn't read the thread, just posting my thoughts, so if these have already been brought up, well, stfu.  :biggrin:

TDKR was good, better than BB but not as good as TDK.  It was a good movie but not a great movie.  I felt that, for all its length, it was a bit undercooked in some areas, however, that is not to say that it ever felt all that long to me, just that some aspects were a little... rugged.  The performances were all good, with Hathaway, JGL and Bale bringing the most.  Micheal Caine was Micheal Caine, reliable and good.  Hardy was good as Bane, but the Bane character didn't do much for me.  As much as I'd hate to compare him to the Joker, well, he was no Joker.  He didn't have the presence to carry the movie through its faults the way both Ledger and the character of the Joker did with TDK. 

I really, really hate being 'that guy' who is endlessly comparing against Ledger but I think my feelings have less to do with Hardy's portrayal (which was good) and more to do with the writing.  Bane and The Joker are different villains, but they're similar in the way the plots revolve around them

The sewer fight, however, is easily the best filmed fight scene in the trilogy.  Not that it really had much in the way of competition, but it was well done and it really showcased Bane's strength and brutality. 

I also wasn't a fan of the 'League of Shadows Wants to Destroy Gotham 2: Electric Boogaloo' storyline.  It didn't work for me in Batman Begins and it didn't do much for me the second time around.  I thought Bane's Revolution had the potential to be much more interesting but whatever.

The Talia twist totally got me, though it really shouldn't have.  In retrospect, it's fucking obvious but well-done on Nolan for doing it convincingly and not hamfistedly like some directors.  The only bad thing I can say about that is that, for me, it cheapened Bane's character and there wasn't much to cheapen anyways.  I also didn't totally buy her motivation, but that's nitpicking.

There's some social commentary going on, but I don't think it really says all that much.

Some people and critics have complained about the first act but I loved it, probably more than the last part of the movie.  Seeing a physically and spiritually broken Bruce Wayne 8 years after TDK was fantastic and Bale really did well on that part.  Him getting re acclimated to the life of being both Batman and Bruce Wayne especially once Batman finally shows up after the Stock Market scene.  Pretty epic that.  I do wish there had been a bit more with Daggett, but the movie's long enough and he's only a tertiary character really.

I liked Blake taking up the mantle at the end.  That was a neat scene and I'd be really interested in a possible continuation with JGL under the cowl (as Nightwing maybe?) in some sequels.

The atom/neutron/fusion bomb plot macguffin thing wasn't as stupid as the microwave emitter from Begins but it was pretty dumb.  Only one guy knows how to disarm it and he can turn the reactor into a bomb in like 5 minutes?  The Nolan Plot Convenience Factor is high in this one.  It's only there to drive the plot to a dramatic, time-sensitive conclusion, but if you think about it too hard, then it just sounds idiotic.  Like all the masterful planning and timing and plot-conveniences the Joker would've required for most of his plans in TDK to go off.  The opening, villain intro in TDKR is ripe with this as well though, unfortunately, TDKR doesn't have a Joker character to keep you from looking at the flaws too hard.

I can't believe people are actually complaining about how Bruce got back into Gotham near the end.  What the hell?  He's the fucking Batman.  Talk about small potatoes.

So that's it.  A good movie, but not flawless and certainly not better than The Dark Knight.  I do hope it gets better on subsequent viewings rather than worse (like Batman Begins) and I want to watch it again just to see what I missed and how my opinion changes.  I enjoyed The Avengers more than this, but they're two really different movies so it's kinda pointless to compare them, but whatever.  That's what the internet is for.

tldr

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: July 23, 2012, 11:38:19 PM »
I also saw it tonight.

What happened to Bane? Did he die, or did he just kinda fuck off?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #1194 on: July 23, 2012, 11:48:25 PM »
To me its safe to say he died from the shot. Talia also dies from the crash too.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1195 on: July 23, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »
Well he got hit by the Batcycle's gun thing, which fucking wrecked the pile of cars at the tunnel, so yeah I assume he died.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1196 on: July 23, 2012, 11:53:47 PM »
...Oh.

I guess I wasn't paying attention. :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1197 on: July 24, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
God damn fuckshit people, if you're going to talk about spoilers all willy nilly, at least make sure the thread title reflects that tiny fact, pleasefuck.

Shit. I mean, I assumed as much and I'm careful but eyes wander, man. THEY FUCKING WANDER.

Okay so I'm not really that upset but someone else might be so just fuck.

I really wish my friends weren't little shittwats and didn't bail cause I wanted to see this really bad tonight. Tomorrow. Alone or with friends, I will jack off to this movie inside of an IMAX with a smile on my face.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: July 24, 2012, 12:12:29 AM »
I'll never understand why people enter these threads and then complain about spoilers. The movie has been out for several days; major plot points are bound to be discussed. If you've haven't seen it yet, is it really that hard to stay out of the thread?

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #1199 on: July 24, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »
I'd advise anyone that hasn't seen the movie to avoid the thread until they have.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1200 on: July 24, 2012, 12:41:25 AM »
Hm... well alrighty then. Is it really that hard to take a few seconds to move your little fingers and type "spoilers" and then click enter/return a few times? That actually makes it sound like a lot of work but it toats is so not. Or you could save yourself the longterm pain of having to do that and just PM the OP/MOD and ask to change it to reflect the changes. But yeah, fuckin' humans and courtesy and stuff.

FINE I'LL TOATS GET OUT OF HERE TILL I SEE IT YOU STUPID CLICK. OH THE POPULARS. OHHHHHHH.

:laugh: :police: :azn: :huh: :'(

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online TJPNET

« Reply #1201 on: July 24, 2012, 01:08:21 AM »
*snip*

I pretty much agree with every word you said, with some notable exceptions. First, I enjoyed Begins more than TDKR. Secondly, I was not impressed with Anne Hathaway/Catwoman. Perhaps Hathaway performed her character splendidly with what she was given, but there really wasn't much depth to work with; or perhaps her acting was as flat as it seems to be in every movie she's in, and made Selina Kyle/Catwoman suffer. I'm not really sure which is true. Lastly, I saw the Talia al Ghul coming the second that I read about Marion Colliard being cast for the role of Miranda Tate. I think Colliard is a fantastic actress, but I think her role was severely underwritten. She was a minor character until the very end, and then her role as a major character lasted all of five minutes.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1202 on: July 24, 2012, 05:30:28 AM »

I think the point was it being the first fusion power plant, and I don't think Bruce necessarily meant it could be turned into a bomb as in it's never happened before. I think that line was just skating off the previous installment's 'terrorism' theme.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1203 on: July 24, 2012, 05:39:54 AM »
I'll never understand why people enter these threads and then complain about spoilers. The movie has been out for several days; major plot points are bound to be discussed. If you've haven't seen it yet, is it really that hard to stay out of the thread?

Agreed.  Tio... dude, you're not an idiot.  To expect every post to have "spoiler" actually typed is silly.  Assume that any and all comments made after the opening Saturday of a big movie will be spoiler laden.  If I went back to the Marvel thread during the Avengers release, would all of your posts say "spoiler"?

Not our fault you haven't seen it yet.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Batman 3
« Reply #1204 on: July 24, 2012, 05:44:49 AM »

Well, I think it's better than The Dark Knight. I like The Dark Knight, but it's bloated, and the Two Face story-line was underdeveloped (not that I really want to see more of Eckhart in the role).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Most of the scenes in TDK where Ledger isn't on screen, my mind starts to wonder, like going to Honk Kong for instance. Now that's 20 minutes of the film they could have cut if batman just caught him at the airport before he left or something.  and I just can not take Eric Roberts seriously as a mob boss. 

But I did like Eckhart as dent, but wasn't feeling him as two-face. Not aggressive enough. I always thought the animated series really nailed the two-face story line.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:51:08 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1205 on: July 24, 2012, 07:27:35 AM »

I think the point was it being the first fusion power plant, and I don't think Bruce necessarily meant it could be turned into a bomb as in it's never happened before. I think that line was just skating off the previous installment's 'terrorism' theme.

His explicit concerns with revealing it to the public was that the technology could be weaponized. 

I just think that as a MacGuffin, something could've been chosen that wasn't so silly and contrived.  Fuel cells decaying?  For a reactor which probably uses some stable isotope of hydrogen (while being "radioactive")?  It was even sillier than a weapon that evaporates all water (except water in people, plants, animals, buildings, etc.). 

It could've just been some nuke Bane picked out of some poorly defended military base in Russia because he's a mercenary/terrorist.  But nope, Nolan also had to jam in some parable about clean energy, its intentions remaining completely opaque, by the way.  The moral of the story is that clean energy is dangerous?  Or doesn't make money?  I dunno. 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1206 on: July 24, 2012, 07:30:36 AM »
People (thread OP), how about changing the title of the thread to The Dark Knight Rises (SPOLERS)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1207 on: July 24, 2012, 07:31:20 AM »
His explicit concerns with revealing it to the public was that the technology could be weaponized. 

I just think that as a MacGuffin, something could've been chosen that wasn't so silly and contrived.  Fuel cells decaying?  For a reactor which probably uses some stable isotope of hydrogen (while being "radioactive")?  It was even sillier than a weapon that evaporates all water (except water in people, plants, animals, buildings, etc.). 

It could've just been some nuke Bane picked out of some poorly defended military base in Russia because he's a mercenary/terrorist.  But nope, Nolan also had to jam in some parable about clean energy, its intentions remaining completely opaque, by the way.  The moral of the story is that clean energy is dangerous?  Or doesn't make money?  I dunno.

You couldn't just do a nuke from Russia.  You needed the Wayne Enterprises subplot so Talia Al Ghul could be involved.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1208 on: July 24, 2012, 07:54:57 AM »

You couldn't just do a nuke from Russia.  You needed the Wayne Enterprises subplot so Talia Al Ghul could be involved.

The movie had way too many subplots and minor characters.  It would've been fine if she'd been cleared out.  And even if she was in the movie, there are lots of ways to integrate her into the plot without big contrivances.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1209 on: July 24, 2012, 07:59:23 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks Nolan goes out of his way to try to make his movies excessively confusing? The Prestige plot line was incredibly convoluted IMO, and TDKR was also much more confusing than necessary.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: July 24, 2012, 08:00:56 AM »
I don't think he does. TDKR wasn't confusing at all. And people say Inception is way more complicated than it actually is.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1211 on: July 24, 2012, 08:06:58 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks Nolan goes out of his way to try to make his movies excessively confusing? The Prestige plot line was incredibly convoluted IMO, and TDKR was also much more confusing than necessary.

I don't think it's necessarily deliberate (as in Nolan wasn't setting out to make a tough-to-follow movie), but TDKR had way too many moving parts for its run-time.  Combine that with his panache for papering over plot holes and transitions with action scenes, and things can get confused.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1212 on: July 24, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »
I don't think he does. TDKR wasn't confusing at all. And people say Inception is way more complicated than it actually is.

I didn't have any problem whatsoever with Inception, or any of his other movies for that matter (besides The Prestige), but there was something about this one that was quite confusing.

I think GP nailed it on the head

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1213 on: July 24, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »
That's the reason I0m eagerly expecting my second watch of the whole thing.

It was the same way with TDK, though. I don't know what are people gripping about.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: July 24, 2012, 08:13:56 AM »
People (thread OP), how about changing the title of the thread to The Dark Knight Rises (SPOLERS)

It should be obvious. If it would help, sure, go for it. I really don't see why it's necessary though.

Beginning Friday, I didn't click on this thread until last night after I got home from the theater. Common sense.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: July 24, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »
I didn't have any problem whatsoever with Inception, or any of his other movies for that matter (besides The Prestige), but there was something about this one that was quite confusing.

I think GP nailed it on the head

Well it is true that there were a lot of new characters in the first act. It took a while to set them apart in my mind.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1216 on: July 24, 2012, 08:43:27 AM »

It should be obvious. If it would help, sure, go for it. I really don't see why it's necessary though.

Beginning Friday, I didn't click on this thread until last night after I got home from the theater. Common sense.

Because there are several people (me included) that came here to just build expectancy, hopefully with the help of "SPOLER ALERT!" posts. I got a couple of things spoiled, though; Never underestimate people  :lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: July 24, 2012, 08:44:07 AM »
SPOILER

The Dark Knight rises.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1218 on: July 24, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »
I just read all of your complaints and really can't believe how much you guys are overreacting. It's like, you want to hold TDK to such a pedestal that you have to find some reason, any reason, to hate TDKR. No matter what happens, nothing must be better than TDK!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: July 24, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »
I agree. Everyone is saying that Bane isn't as good as a villain as the Joker. Of course that's true. The Joker and Dent was the whole point of that movie. That's not the case with TDKR. This movie focuses on Batman and Bruce Wayne. It's not going to have as strong as a villain because it's not supposed to.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1220 on: July 24, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
I just read all of your complaints and really can't believe how much you guys are overreacting. It's like, you want to hold TDK to such a pedestal that you have to find some reason, any reason, to hate TDKR. No matter what happens, nothing must be better than TDK!

I agree. Everyone is saying that Bane isn't as good as a villain as the Joker. Of course that's true. The Joker and Dent was the whole point of that movie. That's not the case with TDKR. This movie focuses on Batman and Bruce Wayne. It's not going to have as strong as a villain because it's not supposed to.

I'm not looking to bash TDKR just for the sake of TDK. In my opinion, they were both really good movies, I just happened to enjoy TDK a bit more. Bane, btw, was a great villain.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1221 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »

I wish it did.  But it really doesn't.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: July 24, 2012, 09:33:13 AM »
It doesn't?  ???

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1223 on: July 24, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »
There's a ton of minor characters and subplots.  I think most of them should have been cleared away to focus on Bruce Wayne.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1224 on: July 24, 2012, 10:09:22 AM »
I thought there was the perfect amount of focus on Bruce Wayne/Batman.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges