Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 220925 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1050 on: July 19, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »
Too much school work, seeing it Tuesday.

I know this thread will be filled with spoilers by Sunday, but can we possibly keep them in small text or something for a little while till most people get a chance to see the movie?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1051 on: July 20, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »
I had to wait as well, sadly..because I was apparently too late. For the first time in years (since I bought tickets for my ex to see the first Harry Potter movie), literally every single theater within my area was completely sold out. I checked both online and went to a few outside, drive-in theaters and even a hidden little old-school cinema place that doesn't even have online tickets (GASPS) and every fucking place was sold out. That's unheard of around here; even for the Avengers and Spider Man midnight releases, the theaters weren't even full (though Avengers was close). So whatever press this movie is getting, I don't think people give a shit, everyone seems to want to see it. This movie is gonna blowing up big time, holmes.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1052 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:38 AM »
Awesome. Just awesome.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1053 on: July 20, 2012, 02:11:19 AM »
So there are series of movies called "Trilogies", right? It entails three movies that are connected, with similar story/character arcs.

There are trilogies that start out great, then have movie just as great or better, and then completely bomb in the third film (i.e. The Godfather, Sam Raimi's Spider-man)

Then there are trilogies that end nicely (i.e. the original Star Wars, Toy Story)

The Dark Knight trilogy is a complete, masterful trilogy that contains superb material that sets the bar ridiculously high for not the superhero/comic book genre, but in cinema in general.

Congratulations, Mr. Nolan. You have developed one of the greatest trilogies of all time. And goddamn you for ending it on amazing note.

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #1054 on: July 20, 2012, 02:51:58 AM »
My body was not ready

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: July 20, 2012, 02:59:52 AM »
That's awful.

I just got back myself. My group of friends dressed up. I might post a picture. I'm not good at talking about movies right away, so I'll just say that it was really good. I liked it.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1057 on: July 20, 2012, 03:15:21 AM »
Nine out of ten.  I think The Dark Knight is a better movie, but that takes nothing away from this one.

The ending might be the most important moment in movie history.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1058 on: July 20, 2012, 03:38:20 AM »
Best movie I've ever seen, and I say that knowing there are countless other movies I completely love, it's just a masterpiece.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: July 20, 2012, 04:04:05 AM »
Nine out of ten.  I think The Dark Knight is a better movie, but that takes nothing away from this one.

It was easily my favorite movie in the trilogy, but you'll have to explain that second comment :P

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1061 on: July 20, 2012, 04:33:33 AM »
Sweet mother of god that was awesome, especially in a marathon like that. I can't compare it to The Dark Knight yet, I'll have to see it again. But still, it was amazing. The last half hour was mindfuckingly good.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1062 on: July 20, 2012, 05:23:23 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1063 on: July 20, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »
I would see this movie but tickets are a lot now and not worth it imo. I will buy the DVD though
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1064 on: July 20, 2012, 12:30:41 PM »
I loved it, a lot. But there is no way this can be held up to the The Dark Knight. That movie just has so much more going on with it. The characters felt a lot more dense in TDK, especially The Joker. Don't get me wrong, Bane was fucking awesome (especially as played by Tom Hardy), but I couldn't help but feel that his character was underdeveloped and he felt more like a walking plot device instead of an overly important character.

And the on going themes in TDK felt more important. TDKR feels more like "Just the conclusion" since it really is just a story about redemption (and I suppose the whole rising above your challenges to overcome great feats).

I kind knew from the initial announcement of a 3rd Batman movie to be in the series that it would be this way. A great film but not of the same caliber as its predecessor.

8/10
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1065 on: July 20, 2012, 12:45:59 PM »
I felt the pay off at the end was a tad underwhelming. However, the build was great. And Bane was amazing.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #1066 on: July 20, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
It was very very good.  I don't think it's as good as TDK but it's very close.  It was an excellent way to conclude the trilogy.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1067 on: July 20, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »
I loved it, a lot. But there is no way this can be held up to the The Dark Knight. That movie just has so much more going on with it. The characters felt a lot more dense in TDK, especially The Joker. Don't get me wrong, Bane was fucking awesome (especially as played by Tom Hardy), but I couldn't help but feel that his character was underdeveloped and he felt more like a walking plot device instead of an overly important character.

And the on going themes in TDK felt more important. TDKR feels more like "Just the conclusion" since it really is just a story about redemption (and I suppose the whole rising above your challenges to overcome great feats).

I kind knew from the initial announcement of a 3rd Batman movie to be in the series that it would be this way. A great film but not of the same caliber as its predecessor.

8/10

The joker made TDK, he's one of my favorite villains, this version,of the joker. He plays with your mind and that is sinister.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: July 20, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
The Joker and Bane are also complete polar opposites in terms of the type of villians they are. Simply put, The Joker can be seen as a representation of chaos. He has no plan, he just makes everything fall into place as events play out. He has no order.

Bane on the other hand is extremely calculated, and precise and has one mission to complete. And I like the way he was portrayed in TDKR. But again, still less interesting than actually watching chaos unfold right in front of our eyes.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1069 on: July 20, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »
The critics seemed to either love ot or hate it with no in between.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: July 20, 2012, 01:07:31 PM »
Critics aren't paid to have moderate opinions.

Online Adami

« Reply #1071 on: July 20, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
Critics aren't paid to have moderate opinions.

"Everyone either loved us or hated us.....or they thought we were okay"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1072 on: July 20, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
Seeing it tonight, blog review next week.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1073 on: July 20, 2012, 01:56:22 PM »
Apparently, Nolan thought of the ending first and created the story to build up to it.  This is how all films ideally should be made.  Nolan is a smart guy.
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #1074 on: July 20, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »
Apparently, Nolan thought of the ending first and created the story to build up to it.  This is how all films ideally should be made.  Nolan is a smart guy.

That's kind of how I write my stories too. I come up with the first line and the ending first then fill in the blanks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1075 on: July 20, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »
While I think The Dark Knight was a better individual movie than Rises, Rises did the job of tying together this trilogy of movies in spectacular fashion, calling back to the previous two movies amazingly, presenting SO many references to the comics without duplicating them perfectly, and just wrapping things up in fantastic style. One critic, who seems to couch everything in terms of 9/11-they made some HILARIOUS connections to the last Harry Potter movie and 9/11-got all caught up in how grisly the fights between Bane and Batman were.

As they were SUPPOSED to be that way, I hardly see the point in mentioning it.

I'm not gonna make the knee jerk comparison to Avengers, because the two movies do totally different things as comic book movies, but Dark Knight Rises is really, really fucking good.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #1076 on: July 20, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
Got my tickets for 2PM Saturday...first 2 marathon-style tonight...  :corn

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: July 20, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »

I'm not gonna make the knee jerk comparison to Avengers, because the two movies do totally different things as comic book movies, but Dark Knight Rises is really, really fucking good.

I will.  I think the Avengers is a better summer action flick, but TDKR is a better "film".

I really liked how they didn't call Selina Kyle "Catwoman".  Her flip up goggles that doubled as cat ears was a brilliant subtle touch.  Bane was a beast, but I felt they could have expanded on him a bit more.  I'd give it 3.5/4 stars.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: July 20, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
I really liked how they didn't call Selina Kyle "Catwoman".  Her flip up goggles that doubled as cat ears was a brilliant subtle touch.

I love that too. Nolan has been doing really well with things like that, like Two-Face.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1079 on: July 20, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
Just got back from Rises and I loved it. Its definitely my favorite of the Nolan trilogy. 

I know I'm probably the only person in the world that is gonna say this, but I don't really like The Dark Knight. Sure, whenever Heath Ledger has a scene its fantastic, but whenever he's off screen I start losing interest. So I went into Rises not sure what to expect, but I was so happy by the end.

Absolutely loved the ending and I seriously got choked up during it. I actually got choked up at a couple different parts. and I absolutely loved Catwoman in this movie.

Just two questions (spoilers, I guess)

1. Why did Bane need Bruce's fingerprints in the first place.

2. How did Bruce get back to Gotham, wasn't he broke and all the bridges were out and he was on the other side of the world?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:21:56 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1080 on: July 20, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »
SPOILERS

Just two questions (spoilers, I guess)

1. Why did Bane need Bruce's fingerprints in the first place.

2. How did Bruce get back to Gotham, wasn't he broke and all the bridges were out and he was on the other side of the world?

1.  So he could make the stock trade that ruined Wayne and his company financially.  This set the stage for Marion Cotillard to take over the company.

2.  Doing Batman ninja things.  I dunno.
Over and over again

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1081 on: July 20, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »
After the 4-year wait I finally saw this bitch at midnight last night and all I gotta say is that I wasn't disappointed in the slightest! I think It's the greatest batman movie ever made. Amazing close to the trilogy as well.......Nolan strikes again!!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1082 on: July 20, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »
SPOILERS

Yeah, I just assumed it's because he's the goddamned batman. I mean, it wasn't a berlin wall situation or anything, it was only the bridges that were really guarded. I don't have a very hard time believing that he found some way onto the island.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1083 on: July 20, 2012, 04:30:27 PM »
SPOILERS

Yeah, I just assumed it's because he's the goddamned batman. I mean, it wasn't a berlin wall situation or anything, it was only the bridges that were really guarded. I don't have a very hard time believing that he found some way onto the island.

Yeah, I think I like it better being ambiguous anyway. Makes him more of a badass Ninja.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1084 on: July 20, 2012, 04:42:39 PM »
SPOILERS

It was easily my favorite movie in the trilogy, but you'll have to explain that second comment :P

Bruce Wayne quits being Batman.  For real.  He's actually happy at the end of the movie.  Batman isn't a hero.  It's Bruce Wayne's rage.  Bruce Wayne conquers the ultimate demon and becomes happy.  The fact we look at Batman as a good thing reveals how our demons corrupt our brains to protect themselves.

How does Batman overcome this demon?  I need to see the movie again to see if I can find out.  When you see Batman as he flies over the water, he's either accepting that he's going to die or finally realizing in that moment that he can live.  Not sure which yet.  Why did he make this decision.  If we can understand this, can we better understand ourselves?
Over and over again