Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 219260 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #805 on: November 21, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
Some new info on the The Dark Knight Rises!
(Source: Article in Empire I believe)

Quote from: Christopher Nolan
"It's really all about finishing Batman and Bruce Wayne's story. We left him in a very precarious place. Perhaps surprisingly for some people, our story picks up quite a bit later, eight years after The Dark Knight. So he's an older Bruce Wayne; he's not in a great state.

About Bane:
"What our IMAX prologue is aiming at showing is that Bane's a very different kind of villain than Batman has faced before in our films," Nolan continues, "He's a great sort of movie monster, but with an incredible brain, and that was a side of him that hadn't been tapped before. Because the stories from the comics are very epic and very evocative - very much in the way that Bruce Wayne's origin story is epic and evocative. We were looking to really parallel that with our choice of villain. So he is a worthy adversary."

Quote from: Empire
basically the first six, seven minutes of the film. It's the introduction to Bane and a taste of the rest of the film. With Bane we are looking to give Batman a physical challenge that he hasn't had before."

About the villains/story:
The world of Batman, indeed the world of all graphic novels, deals with archetypes," he says, "And there's a very real sense in which The Joker is an extreme and an absolute and Batman is an extreme and an absolute. So when you're looking to continue the story - in this case finish Bruce Wayne and Batman's story, as we see it - then you certainly don't want a watered-down version of a character you've already done. You want a different archetype. What Bane represents in the comics is the ultimate physical villain.

About Bane:
Quote from: Tom Hardy
He's brutal. Brutal. He's a big dude who's incredibly clinical, in the fact that he has a result-based and oriented fighting style. It's not about fighting. It's about carnage. The style is heavy-handed, heavy-footed, it's nasty. Anything from small-joint manipulation to crushing skulls, crushing rib cages, stamping on shins and knees and necks and collarbones and snapping heads off and tearing his fists through chests, ripping out spinal columns. He is a terrorist in mentality as well as brutal action.

About Bane's mask and the origins:
Quote from: Lindy Hemming
He was injured early in his story. He's suffering from pain and he needs gas to survive. He cannot survive the pain without the mask. The pipes from the mask go back along his jawline and feed into the thing at the back where there are two canisters of what ever it is... the anesthetic."

About Batman being out in daylight:
Quote from: Empire
The Dark Knight Rises is also notably the first of Nolan's Batman films to show is main character operating in daylight. A bold decision; after all, this is hardly the Adam West TV show. "We felt to some degree we'd earned the right to do that with the character," explains Nolan.

I am excite! :caffeine:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #806 on: November 21, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »
I cannot wait for this movie.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #807 on: November 21, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
@ The comment about Batman in daylight and the Adam West show: However the film ends up in theaters, however well they pull off the seriousness of such a scene, when it comes out on DVD I'm still going to overdub it with the classic TV show. :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: November 21, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »
:caffeine:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #809 on: November 21, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »
July 20th is too far!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #811 on: November 21, 2011, 03:16:20 PM »
Batman is not going to die. As much as Nolan likes to throw people for a loop, there's no way he'd be allowed to kill off the character.

The new info has me very excited. The eight years later part I find extremely fascinating. Eight years?! Can't wait to find out what Batman was up to for that whole time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #812 on: November 21, 2011, 03:23:37 PM »
The eight years later part I find extremely fascinating. Eight years?! Can't wait to find out what Batman was up to for that whole time.

I remember awhile back, you coming up with the (very awesome) idea of the Joker being reprised simply by Bruce/Batman visiting Arkham, passing a cell labeled "Joke" and hearing the infamous laugh inside the cell.  If Nolan wanted to, he could similarly tip the hat to tons of other Batman universe references by indirectly referring to other baddies Batman has had locked up during that 8-year period.  I'm thinking that 8-year gap allows Nolan a LOT of free rein to sprinkle in references like that to his heart's content that will really make the fans that are familiar with the Batman universe very happy without bogging the movie down in too many different storylines.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #813 on: November 21, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
The eight years later part I find extremely fascinating. Eight years?! Can't wait to find out what Batman was up to for that whole time.

I remember awhile back, you coming up with the (very awesome) idea of the Joker being reprised simply by Bruce/Batman visiting Arkham, passing a cell labeled "Joke" and hearing the infamous laugh inside the cell.  If Nolan wanted to, he could similarly tip the hat to tons of other Batman universe references by indirectly referring to other baddies Batman has had locked up during that 8-year period.  I'm thinking that 8-year gap allows Nolan a LOT of free rein to sprinkle in references like that to his heart's content that will really make the fans that are familiar with the Batman universe very happy without bogging the movie down in too many different storylines.

Do you mean throwing in the names of other official villains that he faced during the 8-year period?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #814 on: November 21, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »
Yes, or just other little subtle references/nuggets throughout the film.  Nolan can make reference to a lot of stuff having happened without actually have to show all that stuff. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #815 on: November 21, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
Honestly, it wouldn't upset me if Bats were to die in DKR, as that would just give us ample opportunity to reboot again and go a different direction. I'm also not sure if the execs at Warner would even care much. With all of the high class attention the last film got, you'd think they'd do for as dramatic of a film to garner as much academy consideration as possible.

Up until now, I had no idea so much time was supposed to pass (twice as much as has actually).

You know, when this is all said and done, I hope people will look back in 50 years upon this as the equivalency of the Dollars trilogy is terms of impact, execution and classic story-telling. I don't feel much attention to the other franchises of the last decade or so, so this point is important to me. To be able to share something this good with my grandchildren means a lot. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:18:52 PM by MykeHavoc »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #816 on: November 21, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
This movie is going to be so fucking awesome. I can not wait for July 20th!  :corn
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #817 on: November 21, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
Honestly, it wouldn't upset me if Bats were to die in DKR, as that would just give us ample opportunity to reboot again and go a different direction. I'm also not sure if the execs at Warner would even care much. With all of the high class attention the last film got, you'd think they'd do for as dramatic of a film to garner as much academy consideration as possible.

Up until now, I had no idea so much time was supposed to pass (twice as much as has actually).

You know, when this is all said and done, I hope people will look back in 50 years upon this as the equivalency of the Dollars trilogy is terms of impact, execution and classic story-telling. I don't feel much attention to the other franchises of the last decade or so, so this point is important to me. To be able to share something this good with my grandchildren means a lot.

Exactly why I don't think they should start over right away. Assuming this film is going to as amazing as everyone hopes (I personally feel it's going to be the best in the trilogy), then Nolan will have made the PERFECT trilogy, which is incredibly hard. I think they should wait around 8-10 years for a reboot, to give Nolan some respect for his brilliant work, and for the sake of a 'buffer zone'.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #818 on: November 21, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
Just stir in more ingredients to the pot, check out this short interview with Gary Oldman about the conclusion of Nolanverse Batman films?

https://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/713177/dark-knight-rises-will-have-a-conclusion.jhtml

This isn't the first time he has emphasized on the story and how good it is. I saw an interview earlier this year where he read the script and said "Chris Nolan outdid himself." Ill do some research and try to find it.

EDIT:

Found it

https://youtu.be/-uTFuyks9fE

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #819 on: November 22, 2011, 06:17:42 AM »
Does anyone think it's likely that Batman has been laying low for 8 years and hasn't been doing much? His intention seemed to be going into hiding to some degree after TDK. I doubt he had 8 years in mind, but I could see it. If he has been active during that 8 years, it opens up future movies by other directors for what happened during that 8 years. I think I'd rather have that than a complete reboot in a few years.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: November 22, 2011, 07:44:17 AM »
The problem is, they want to do a JLA movie.  Nolan's relatively realistic version of Batman really doesn't fit in that setting.  Unless plans fall apart we'll be seeing a reboot in fairly short order, and, I expect, it will be a more "superhero" version of Batman.

Offline rude boy

« Reply #821 on: November 22, 2011, 07:53:37 AM »
Does anyone think it's likely that Batman has been laying low for 8 years and hasn't been doing much? His intention seemed to be going into hiding to some degree after TDK.

this

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #822 on: November 22, 2011, 09:12:27 AM »
The problem is, they want to do a JLA movie.  Nolan's relatively realistic version of Batman really doesn't fit in that setting.  Unless plans fall apart we'll be seeing a reboot in fairly short order, and, I expect, it will be a more "superhero" version of Batman.

JLA?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: November 22, 2011, 09:34:06 AM »

JLA?

Justice League of America.  A DC superhero team.  The roster varies, but I assume a movie version will be based around a lineup similar to this one from the 90s: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, and, for some reason, Martian Manhunter.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #824 on: November 22, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
That is pretty much the original lineup from the late 50s/early 60s.  And has been the core of the lineup for most of the JLA's history.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #825 on: November 22, 2011, 09:37:25 AM »
Damnit.

I thought JLA stood for "Just Lesbian Action."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: November 22, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »
That is pretty much the original lineup from the late 50s/early 60s.  And has been the core of the lineup for most of the JLA's history.

Yep.  It's most of the big names from the DC Universe.  Plus, Martian Manhunter, whom I wouldn't be surprised to see omitted from a film version.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #827 on: November 22, 2011, 10:07:53 AM »
Is the plan regarding the Batman relaunch to lump it together with Green Lantern and The Man of Steel (coming next year)?
If so, don't they have to hurry up and make movies for some of the other JLA-heroes? :P

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #828 on: November 22, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »

DC need to take a page from Marvel's book and get with it. I can see that they had some potential tie-ins for later in Green Lantern (bringing in Amanda Waller), but they really better be planting more seeds and ironing out greater plans. My suggestion is tie Man of Steel into Green Lantern and then do a JLA film, introducing the other characters as well as a new Batman. Focus on the arrival of J'onn J'onzz bringing all the characters together to take on a big threat, like Darkseid. Then spin-off some of the new characters with their own origin films (Flash is a personal favorite, as well as the new Batman). Follow those up with a golden-era style Justice Society movie as an alternate world prequel to JLA. Then merge the two for an epic sequel based on Crisis on Infinite Earths. That would be my ten year plan.

DC have the greatest characters in comics and they're letting them go to waste.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: November 22, 2011, 01:44:45 PM »

DC need to take a page from Marvel's book and get with it. I can see that they had some potential tie-ins for later in Green Lantern (bringing in Amanda Waller), but they really better be planting more seeds and ironing out greater plans. My suggestion is tie Man of Steel into Green Lantern and then do a JLA film, introducing the other characters as well as a new Batman. Focus on the arrival of J'onn J'onzz bringing all the characters together to take on a big threat, like Darkseid. Then spin-off some of the new characters with their own origin films (Flash is a personal favorite, as well as the new Batman). Follow those up with a golden-era style Justice Society movie as an alternate world prequel to JLA. Then merge the two for an epic sequel based on Crisis on Infinite Earths. That would be my ten year plan.

DC have the greatest characters in comics and they're letting them go to waste.

Well, Marvel had an easier time of it, because those films were all under Marvel Studios, and things were planned out, with actor contracts, etc. lined up to include Avengers.  DC had different contracts with different people.  I think they're starting to get that mess sorted out, and part of "sorting it out" is rebooting Batman and Superman with the new plan in place.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #830 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »
DC is owned by Warner Bros. and all related DC comic (and Vertigo) adaptations are released exclusively under Warner, so there is no issue with contracts or licenses. They didn't have a game plan. They've had four years to at least try to imitate Marvel's layout but haven't even tried. They need an Avi Arad-type as an overseeing force to see things smoothly come together.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #831 on: November 22, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »
Didn't Warner already come out and said that after TDKR, Batman is getting rebooted?

I faintly remember reading that.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #832 on: November 22, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
Didn't Warner already come out and said that after TDKR, Batman is getting rebooted?

I faintly remember reading that.

Yeah, more or less. I'm betting they're banking on being able to keep either/or/both Nolan And Bale involved. Depending on whether Bats does die or not, perhaps they could just continue, much as Val Kilmer took over for Keaton, but was still in the same continuity.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: November 23, 2011, 12:17:38 PM »
DC is owned by Warner Bros. and all related DC comic (and Vertigo) adaptations are released exclusively under Warner, so there is no issue with contracts or licenses. They didn't have a game plan. They've had four years to at least try to imitate Marvel's layout but haven't even tried. They need an Avi Arad-type as an overseeing force to see things smoothly come together.

Bale isn't under contract to do any JLA movies.  That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.  When Batman Begins and Superman Returns were greenlit, there was no thought given to doing a crossover of the characters.  (There was talk later of using Bale and Routh in a Superman/Batman movie, but that fizzled.)  Rebooting the characters into a shared continuity takes time. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #834 on: November 23, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »
I recall reading that Bale would only do more Batman movies if Nolan was involved, but don't remember where I read that.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: November 23, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »

Yeah, it was essentially if Batman had to go into Arkham, to pay homage to Heath Ledger without re-casting the Joker role, he could walk by the cell and have a vocal clip of the Joker laughing at Batman with the Joker silhouetted way back in the cell, through the small window and bars on the door.

Just a touch I thought would be appropriate. 
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: November 23, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »
Does anyone think it's likely that Batman has been laying low for 8 years and hasn't been doing much? His intention seemed to be going into hiding to some degree after TDK. I doubt he had 8 years in mind, but I could see it.

I think that is exactly what it is and what is implied in the Empire magazine comments. The preview clip with Gordon in the hospital bed seems to support that as well. Paraphrasing, Gordon said that "we were in this together, and then you were gone. The Batman needs to come back."

To me, that combined with the Empire magazine info, seems to indicate Batman has been gone all that time.

I find that to be a very different approach which opens up all sorts of questions and possibilities. At first blush, I didn't like it, but thinking about it more, if Batman is timid, out of shape a bit, and fights Bane, loses, but is seen defending Gotham by the Gotham people, and then comes back and ultimately defeats Bane, he'll be the "hero Gotham deserves."

But to be frank, I think there is a lot to this story. A LOT more. The Ra's Al Ghul thing WILL be revisited. I'd bet almost anything on it. The story is coming full circle.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: November 24, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »
How it should've ended: The Dark Knight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seBpXt8_6xs

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: November 24, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »
 :rollin :rollin
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: December 09, 2011, 07:22:27 AM »
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.