Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 354117 times)

Offline LKap13

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4165 on: October 08, 2021, 05:26:55 AM »
Based on the snippets and the alien this is pretty much exactly what I've been envisioning. Extremely promising. Just need to get to Oct 22!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4166 on: October 08, 2021, 08:00:32 AM »
I got an email last night that my AVFTTOTW artbook set is being delayed to December.

So I've got THAT going for me...
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4167 on: October 08, 2021, 08:03:26 AM »
I got an email last night that my AVFTTOTW artbook set is being delayed to December.

So I've got THAT going for me...

Ooh no!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4168 on: October 08, 2021, 08:10:31 AM »
it is very strange that for no one the best is the suite…

???

I think they mean that no one has said the epic is their favourite song yet. (don't remember if anyone's said that yet either)

Oh.  Well, only two people have said what their favorite is.  So, I guess it is literally true that "no one" has said that song is their favorite.  But out of such a small sample size, that doesn't really say anything.  :lol

I recall after Octavarium came out, after the first couple of listens, I wouldn't have called the title track my favorite, it was probably TROAE or Panic Attack. Epics need more time to sink in.

Exactly.  Certainly not everybody reacts that way, but a significant portion of us do.  DT music is dense and complex, and there is a LOT of it.  It takes time to digest and appreciate a 20+ minute song.  No matter how "straightforward" it might be by DT standards, I won't have internalized it enough to rank it after just a few listens. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4169 on: October 08, 2021, 08:30:08 AM »
Just received the album THROUGH OFFICIAL CHANNELS (don't ban me!!!), and I'm going through my first listen. Two songs before the end I can already say this is Mangini's finest hour with DT, guys!!!!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4170 on: October 08, 2021, 08:35:00 AM »
Just received the album THROUGH OFFICIAL CHANNELS (don't ban me!!!), and I'm going through my first listen. Two songs before the end I can already say this is Mangini's finest hour with DT, guys!!!!
which btw, I'm happy to read your review of (of course innit)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4171 on: October 08, 2021, 08:37:32 AM »

Liking it more than DoT? Let us know your initial impressions

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4172 on: October 08, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »
which btw, I'm happy to read your review of (of course innit)

My initial reaction is...well you see, I have a pair of Asics that I keep in my mom's house. It's the shoes I wore in my best marathon ever - I finished it in 03h56min. Whenever I go back there I put these shoes on and go for a run. They're comfortable, reliable, they deliver in a GREAT WAY, and bring back a lot of memories. And to me, the signs of wear and tear do not matter one bit. I compare this album to that pair of shoes.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4173 on: October 08, 2021, 08:51:31 AM »
Good to know, Rodrigo! If I feel this way about the album (and I'm pretty confident about that), I will be totally happy!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4174 on: October 08, 2021, 08:52:34 AM »
:panicattack:  Rodrigo said the album smells bad and is falling apart at the seams!!!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4175 on: October 08, 2021, 08:58:56 AM »
:panicattack:  Rodrigo said the album smells bad and is falling apart at the seams!!!

LOOOOOOL NO!!!!

I like it. Just finished my first listen, and this album is a great addition to their discography. The legacy lives on! I felt a bit underwhelmed by a few moments on it, but overall, these songs are going to sound amazing live. I liked everything except for Invisible Monsters and the fact that A View from the Top of the World lacks the sense of completion and grandiose that Octavarium or Illumination Theory give me at the end.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4176 on: October 08, 2021, 09:05:27 AM »
This album may end being the "...oh yeah that album exists. I forgot about that one. " of their discog like When Dream and Day or Falling Into Infinity.

Not awesome. Not terrible. Just another DT album.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4177 on: October 08, 2021, 09:15:39 AM »
This album may end being the "...oh yeah that album exists. I forgot about that one. " of their discog like When Dream and Day or Falling Into Infinity.

Not that I really care what people are saying about the album in advance, but that's actually what I took from Rodrigo's post about his running shoes (which I think was probably unintentional). I understand the attraction of an old pair of shoes but they're still just that. I'd like the album to grab my attention, chew me up and spit me out. Something that needs taming. Unrealistic to expect that after all these years, I know.

Only two weeks to go.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4178 on: October 08, 2021, 09:15:59 AM »

Haha the most troll comment ever.  I wouldn’t take the bait people.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4179 on: October 08, 2021, 09:18:02 AM »
Based on Rodrigo’s review of Senjutsu, we can safely say that if he loves the DT, it’s going to blow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4180 on: October 08, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »

LOOOOOOL NO!!!!

I like it. Just finished my first listen, and this album is a great addition to their discography. The legacy lives on! I felt a bit underwhelmed by a few moments on it, but overall, these songs are going to sound amazing live. I liked everything except for Invisible Monsters and the fact that A View from the Top of the World lacks the sense of completion and grandiose that Octavarium or Illumination Theory give me at the end.
I'm pretty cofindent about it too. I listened to this song many times and... so it's OK. I think it will end at the bottom DT songs to me unfortunately. But I guess it's also a good sign that you think it's the worst from the album.

Offline rab7

« Reply #4181 on: October 08, 2021, 09:22:59 AM »

Not that I really care what people are saying about the album in advance, but that's actually what I took from Rodrigo's post about his running shoes (which I think was probably unintentional). I understand the attraction of an old pair of shoes but they're still just that. I'd like the album to grab my attention, chew me up and spit me out. Something that needs taming. Unrealistic to expect that after all these years, I know.

Only two weeks to go.

If he had said "the album chewed me up and spat me out", someone would say "see I understand what you meant, but from that I got that the music will just leave me feeling wet and cold"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4182 on: October 08, 2021, 09:25:01 AM »

I wouldn't be as drastic as Kotowboy. I like my old pair of running shoes, and I look forward to running with them every now and then! I'm on my second listen, and I must say the mix is way better than DOT, and the album is just as consistent. Speaking of running, this one and DOT are great albums to run to.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4183 on: October 08, 2021, 09:26:44 AM »
Based on Rodrigo’s review of Senjutsu, we can safely say that if he loves the DT, it’s going to blow.

Are you saying you want a piece of me??? You got iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt!!!!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4184 on: October 08, 2021, 09:30:23 AM »
I also wouldn't include FII in the category of "oh yea that album exists".    There is so much controversy and varying opinions around FII.   The album sounds very distinct as well.   

Many people love it, many people hate it but most agree that Trial of Tears is a classic. 

I think the "oh yeah that album exists" albums would be the self titled, SC and BC&SL IMO. 

But that phrase is also up for interpretation.

I now realize I took some of the bait as well  :rollin but at least not as it pertains to the new album.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4185 on: October 08, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »

I wouldn't be as drastic as Kotowboy. I like my old pair of running shoes, and I look forward to running with them every now and then! I'm on my second listen, and I must say the mix is way better than DOT, and the album is just as consistent. Speaking of running, this one and DOT are great albums to run to.

By the way, on behalf of your knees, I think the cushioning of your beloved running shoes has already gone to space! ;D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4186 on: October 08, 2021, 09:41:55 AM »

By the way, on behalf of your knees, I think the cushioning of your beloved running shoes has already gone to space! ;D

Maybe...but they bring back so many cool memories!!!!

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4187 on: October 08, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »
I PREDICT this album is going to be excellent. More melodic and satisfying than recent releases

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4188 on: October 08, 2021, 10:32:26 AM »

Looking forward to your review.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4189 on: October 08, 2021, 11:01:32 AM »
All the songs here are VERY melodic, even the heay beginning of Awaken the MAster. And although there are cool solos throughout, this album feels a lot more like a team effort, relying on the strength of the songs as opposed to jaw-dropping solos.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4190 on: October 08, 2021, 11:03:16 AM »

Agree on the Mangini part.

I also think the album is sonically superior to anything they have done in the MM era.

Instant favs:
Answering the Call
Sleeping Giant
AWFTTOTW

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4191 on: October 08, 2021, 11:04:22 AM »

:rollin

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #4192 on: October 08, 2021, 11:12:05 AM »

I liked the snippets I heard, and the singles have fun moments. But this is my fear too; I don't love many DT albums to begin with, and D/T I always forget it exists, despite me being a huge Mangini era fan.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4193 on: October 08, 2021, 11:14:49 AM »
The brazilian reviewer from Roadie Crew magazine, Daniel Dutra, described Transcending Time like something very 80's AOR (and called it wonderful masterpiece). I thought it very interesting... from the top of my head I can only remember DT making something like this with Innocence Faded.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4194 on: October 08, 2021, 11:25:16 AM »
All the songs here are VERY melodic, even the heay beginning of Awaken the MAster. And although there are cool solos throughout, this album feels a lot more like a team effort, relying on the strength of the songs as opposed to jaw-dropping solos.

Okay confirmed!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4195 on: October 08, 2021, 12:12:07 PM »
The brazilian reviewer from Roadie Crew magazine, Daniel Dutra, described Transcending Time like something very 80's AOR (and called it wonderful masterpiece). I thought it very interesting... from the top of my head I can only remember DT making something like this with Innocence Faded.

Looking Glass too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4196 on: October 08, 2021, 12:29:38 PM »

Innocence Faded is what Transcending Time reminded me of when I heard the snippets before they were taken down.

For me, I am getting a feeling based off The Alien, Invisible Monster, and the snippets similar to how I feel with Systematic Chaos. It's a feeling I haven't felt since then, and I have felt with all the albums before. Although, each album since SC do have moments individually, but have not reached it as a whole.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4197 on: October 08, 2021, 12:44:46 PM »

Looking Glass too.
True, how I could forget it? I really love The Looking Glass - my second fave from DT12!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4198 on: October 08, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »
Well if Transcending Time reminds some of IF then I hope they do a better job because IF leaves me wanting more. Kind of like PBT leaves some listeners like allllllmmmmmmmoooooosssssstttttt - an epic but not quite.

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #4199 on: October 08, 2021, 02:02:55 PM »
Well if Transcending Time reminds some of IF then

else.