Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353041 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #2625 on: August 02, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »
Maybe it’s just because I’m on my phone, but I still can’t tell any difference and I’ve been staring at them for five minutes.

Me too...and I'm on a desktop.

To paraphrase Joey Tribbiani:  Looks exactly the same to me!

It’s mainly the bird is bigger and more clear.
The waterfall is clearer and more detailed.
The dusty looking fog at the bottom of the waterfall and across the bottom on the other side has been removed.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2626 on: August 02, 2021, 10:56:01 AM »
Album art Patch Notes:
- Increased camera FOV slightly
- Fog (mist?) at the bottom removed to prevent an exploit
- Waterfall VFX improved (droplets now visible)
- Bird has been buffed, now slightly larger
- Color balance is slightly more blueish
- Album text is slightly less bold (anti-accessibility feature)

Oh, I like this! :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2627 on: August 02, 2021, 12:59:31 PM »
As someone critical of the artwork originally, this is much better.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2628 on: August 02, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »
Every addition to the Dream Theater catalogue is special in it's own way, and I have no doubt that this one will measure up to the expectations the guys set for themselves.

The album art is pleasant to look at, especially after the polishing work. Unmistakably DT. Now to wait for a song to release :)
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2629 on: August 02, 2021, 01:11:13 PM »
One of the things I was pondering on doing as hints for the song titles were movie posters, so I’d do the alien, ghostbusters, hollow man, jack and the beanstalk, back to the future, dracula, and Everest….

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2630 on: August 02, 2021, 01:56:40 PM »
interesting to see the spider left the building again. I’m curious what’s the deal with it, ‘cause they have a picture framed at their official website were the spider is still on the boot.

The album art, the epic… but especially the tracknames got me hooked on this album ‘preflop’.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2631 on: August 02, 2021, 01:59:21 PM »
I was made aware that the Cover image that we were given actual wasn't the final one - there was a more polished version available:

Notice the dust and waterfall changes, the bird changes, and the shadows on the boots...

God, this is so much better. The conflicting perspective in the buildings still bothers me, but this one looks more like a coherent image. If this is the one that gets officially released, I retract most of my complaints.  :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2632 on: August 02, 2021, 02:09:57 PM »
One of the things I was pondering on doing as hints for the song titles were movie posters, so I’d do the alien, ghostbusters, hollow man, jack and the beanstalk, back to the future, dracula, and Everest….
I don't know if anyone praised it before, but I think the way the pre-announcement of the album was made was much more inclusive, compared to the treasure hunt of the previous album that really was only for DT fans computer geeks. Heck, there was even an emoji guessing, something I play a lot with my 7-year-old son! So, thanks for that, noxon, really nice!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2633 on: August 02, 2021, 02:11:48 PM »
Patiently (NOT!) awaiting song release. Will listen only once, but still dying to hear :metal

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2634 on: August 02, 2021, 02:31:31 PM »
I don't know if anyone praised it before, but I think the way the pre-announcement of the album was made was much more inclusive, compared to the treasure hunt of the previous album that really was only for DT fans computer geeks. Heck, there was even an emoji guessing, something I play a lot with my 7-year-old son! So, thanks for that, noxon, really nice!

Yes, Thank you Noxon.  I am not even close to a computer nerd and really enjoyed this one.  :smiley:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2635 on: August 02, 2021, 02:47:38 PM »

What did the original one look like? I went back to the original post for the album cover on Page 64 of this thread and both images look completely identical.

DT Socials and Website:

Press Release (And actual Final Version):

While I can definitely see the cleaner version, the first pic that came out on page 64 of this thread had the better version, so that’s what I’ve been looking at the whole time if that’s worth anything. And yep, still think it’s a ripping cover  :metal

Bah! 

It's still as obvious as the nose on your face that that kind of plant life can't grow in a stream bed, it needs deep, well-draining soil, and that granite schist doesn't exist at those elevations since it erodes much faster than the materials it's placed on top of (by glaciers, if anyone care).  Just plain sick and tired of these lazy album covers.

(Just kidding friends; I actually dig that cover a lot. I have no idea if it's the actual cover or just something mooted by fan(s), but it's still cool.)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2636 on: August 02, 2021, 02:50:32 PM »
it's the real cover, and it's actually a real place too:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2637 on: August 02, 2021, 03:32:40 PM »
The top of the world is Mt. Everest.  That doesn't look like Mt. Everest.  Maybe a more appropriate title would be "A Big Rock Stuck Between a Bigger Rock and a Hard Place"

I saw a picture of that rock formation a long time ago and thought it was cool.  Never in a million years would I have thought that DT would use the same picture, photoshop the shit out of it and use it for an album cover.

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: August 02, 2021, 03:36:53 PM »
" A View To A Kill " featuring Kevin " Roger " Moore.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2639 on: August 02, 2021, 03:38:02 PM »
edit: nevermind, it's a close-up photo

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: August 02, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »
To hide the watermark :p

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2641 on: August 02, 2021, 03:40:44 PM »
now I see... ;)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2642 on: August 02, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »
" A View To A Kill " featuring Kevin " Roger " Moore.
Call me James, darling, it's five days to Ravenskill.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2643 on: August 02, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »
interesting to see the spider left the building again.

Thank god. I hate those fuc#3rs so much.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2644 on: August 02, 2021, 05:33:52 PM »
I was made aware that the Cover image that we were given actual wasn't the final one - there was a more polished version available:

Notice the dust and waterfall changes, the bird changes, and the shadows on the boots...
Very nice!  A much cleaner look.   :tup

Noxon - Will we have the high resolution version available?  We've had previous covers with 3000 X 3000 pixels.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2645 on: August 03, 2021, 02:43:28 AM »
The hype intensifies, from Mike's facebook page (in a comment when asked about cymbal placement):

Wait till you hear the new album. Use good headphones because you know I've put in some "stuff" that has always gone several decibels way too low under the radar in the final mixes. This one... you'll like.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2646 on: August 03, 2021, 04:10:45 AM »
Want another hype guys and spoiler alert? JM did an interview with Metalzone where he was asked which songs were (would be) the hardest for him to play live. He chose 5 among which AVFTTOTW : in the middle section or somewhere close, there is a ... . Love it!

B.Lee

Sorry, guys, don't know how to hide a spoiler...xD. I'll try : [spoiler]crap[/spoiler] Nope, doesn't work...lol
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #2647 on: August 03, 2021, 04:15:17 AM »
I predict the first single will be released next Friday (13th August). Why do I think this? Yes’ single “The Ice Bridge” was released on the 23rd July, their album is due 1st October.. 3 weeks before Dream Theater, add the 3 weeks and we get next Friday. Will I be wrong? Probably but it’s fun to speculate I suppose…

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #2648 on: August 03, 2021, 04:40:49 AM »
I predict the first single will be released next Friday (13th August). Why do I think this? Yes’ single “The Ice Bridge” was released on the 23rd July, their album is due 1st October.. 3 weeks before Dream Theater, add the 3 weeks and we get next Friday. Will I be wrong? Probably but it’s fun to speculate I suppose…
And I still think it will be released this Friday. Why? Because UA was released on December 7th, 2018 and D/T was released on February 22nd, 2019. Assuming the first single would be released August 6th and the album is released October 22nd, then it's the same pattern. Makes sense so far?

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2649 on: August 03, 2021, 05:23:25 AM »
I like the cover and look forward to hear the album. Can't wait to hear a first single to get an idea of what we can expect! I loved Distance over Time, so I have a good feeling about this album.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2650 on: August 03, 2021, 06:02:39 AM »
And I still think it will be released this Friday. Why? Because UA was released on December 7th, 2018 and D/T was released on February 22nd, 2019. Assuming the first single would be released August 6th and the album is released October 22nd, then it's the same pattern. Makes sense so far?

I dunno when the first single will be released, but... If it's the 6th, then that's great for me because that's only three days from now. If it's the 13th, then that's great for me because it will be releasing on my birthday. Yeah, a bit of silly logic, but I'm just excited that it should be coming out very soon either way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2651 on: August 03, 2021, 06:07:00 AM »
Want another hype guys and spoiler alert? JM did an interview with Metalzone where he was asked which songs were (would be) the hardest for him to play live. He chose 5 among which AVFTTOTW : in the middle section or somewhere close, there is a ... . Love it!

B.Lee

Sorry, guys, don't know how to hide a spoiler...xD. I'll try : [spoiler]crap[/spoiler] Nope, doesn't work...lol

do it like this

[ size=1pt ]  here be dragons      [ /size ]

here be dragons

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #2652 on: August 03, 2021, 06:39:29 AM »
I like the cover and look forward to hear the album. Can't wait to hear a first single to get an idea of what we can expect! I loved Distance over Time, so I have a good feeling about this album.
And I like the cover too and I hated D/T, so I have a good feeling about A View too. The excitement continues to build.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2653 on: August 03, 2021, 07:46:40 AM »

B.Lee

do it like this

here be dragons

Thanx, Mr Kotow! Ok, so, [ size=1pt ]snip[ /size ]. Me like it! Holy F***, cannot make it work!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2654 on: August 03, 2021, 07:57:01 AM »
do it like this

here be dragons

Thanx, Mr Kotow! Ok, so, [ size=1pt ]snip[ /size ]. Me like it! Holy F***, cannot make it work!

B.Lee

Remove the spaces between the brackets and the text. So for example, it would be [/size] for the end of the text you want to mark as spoilers.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2655 on: August 03, 2021, 10:01:58 AM »
do it like this

here be dragons

B.Lee

Remove the spaces between the brackets and the text. So for example, it would be [/size] for the end of the text you want to mark as spoilers.

Thanx. Imma try : so, towards the middle of the song AVFTTOTW, there is a Mozart-like section.. Me like it!

B.Lee

PS : it works! Thanx a lot, guys!

Online faizoff

« Reply #2656 on: August 03, 2021, 10:27:08 AM »
Man finally some news about the new DT album. So many things happened when I was out on vacation. Did I miss a preorder page being up? or those haven't been out yet right? I don't find anything on the official site.

After an album with short concise songs, I'm ready for an all out epic album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #2657 on: August 03, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »
Man finally some news about the new DT album. So many things happened when I was out on vacation. Did I miss a preorder page being up? or those haven't been out yet right? I don't find anything on the official site.

After an album with short concise songs, I'm ready for an all out epic album.
no pre order link page yet no, sorry. Nowadays they are live in conjunction with the first single (which I hope will be this Friday)

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #2658 on: August 03, 2021, 10:38:38 AM »
Selfishly, I really hope they hold out as long as possible with the single!

I really want to try and listen to it only once or twice before the album and having music out so early will make that so much harder  :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2659 on: August 03, 2021, 10:54:13 AM »
The real question is, "What kind of a deluxe collector's edition will they be releasing and how long after the general release will we actually get it?"  :censored