Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 114850 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Final Round Results Pt. 4!)
« Reply #4060 on: September 12, 2023, 09:09:46 PM »
I think this was the crowning achievement of the entire roulette.  :)  I definitely wanted you to discover his vocals while listening to the song vs reading about it first, so I'm glad it worked out that way.  There might or might not be others you're missing based on your rym - I'm pretty sure you've heard both The Ocean tracks for example even though one of the albums is just on a wishlist.  What about Long Distance Calling?  I was really tempted to send that one but I thought there was a greater chance you'd have heard it before.

Yeah, probably.  It didn't take more than a few seconds for me to go "wait, is that...?  Yes, yes it is."  :) 

The Ocean was borderline being banned by the philosophy of my original ban list, since Mesozoic | Cenozoic was a near 4.5 star album for me, and I know "Jurassic | Cretaceous" quite well.  I even prematurely put The Ocean on my "artists that excited me" RYM list due to that, partially because they're one of the relatively few sludge metal bands I've taken a liking to.  Of course, I've heard a few other albums of theirs, but don't really know any of them well, and Luke sent them in an earlier round.  I've listened to "Devonian: Nascent", but don't know it as well, so maybe you could have slipped it through.  Same deal with "The Nearing Grave" - heard it, don't know it terribly well.

Offline Lethean

Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Final Round Results Pt. 4!)
« Reply #4061 on: September 12, 2023, 09:15:26 PM »
I think this was the crowning achievement of the entire roulette.  :)  I definitely wanted you to discover his vocals while listening to the song vs reading about it first, so I'm glad it worked out that way.  There might or might not be others you're missing based on your rym - I'm pretty sure you've heard both The Ocean tracks for example even though one of the albums is just on a wishlist.  What about Long Distance Calling?  I was really tempted to send that one but I thought there was a greater chance you'd have heard it before.

Yeah, probably.  It didn't take more than a few seconds for me to go "wait, is that...?  Yes, yes it is."  :) 
:biggrin:

The Ocean was borderline being banned by the philosophy of my original ban list, since Mesozoic | Cenozoic was a near 4.5 star album for me, and I know "Jurassic | Cretaceous" quite well.  I even prematurely put The Ocean on my "artists that excited me" RYM list due to that, partially because they're one of the relatively few sludge metal bands I've taken a liking to.  Of course, I've heard a few other albums of theirs, but don't really know any of them well, and Luke sent them in an earlier round.  I've listened to "Devonian: Nascent", but don't know it as well, so maybe you could have slipped it through.  Same deal with "The Nearing Grave" - heard it, don't know it terribly well.
I like Devonian: Nascent better of the two, so I definitely recommend giving it more of a listen.  And The Nearing Grave - it's so so so good.  I should send you the concept album I sent TAC a while back. :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4062 on: September 12, 2023, 11:35:49 PM »
Didn't quite crack the top 3, but still a solid finish - glad you liked it!

This was one epic roulette.

Great job, Litho.  This was fun.

Still is :P
Nah all the important stuff is finished now, NEXT PLEASE

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4063 on: September 13, 2023, 07:32:53 AM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4064 on: September 13, 2023, 07:33:10 AM »
3rd Place

SoundscapeMN - "SoundscapeMN's MPAR (Modern progressive Art Rock) Sampler aka allmediareviews-core mix"

1:  The Family Crest - "Beneath the Brine"
2:  Fjokra - "Infinite Loops"
3:  Jeff Buckley - "Last Goodbye"
4:  Oceansize - "Unfamiliar"
5:  Kimbra - "Cameo Lover"
6:  Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears - "The Purple Rocket"
7:  Kiss Kiss - "Through the Day"
8:  Cloud Cult - "Sleepwalker"
9:  The River Empires - "Three Tigers"
10:  Bend Sinister - "Quest For Love"

Early Impressions - "This has one of the best "Christmas songs" I've ever heard." - "This has some of the most fascinating instrumental parts of the round, though some of the vocals are kind of odd."

Favorite - Kimbra - "Cameo Lover"
Least Favorite - The Family Crest - "Beneath the Brine"

Final Summary:

It's fascinating how this broad style, older progressive rock, and the indie rock scene (a la Tomi's EP) often have such creative songwriting and instrumentation, but I suppose sometimes it's a bit too much creativity vocally for my palate.  But also like Tomi's EP, but even more so, the strong material overpowers the weaker, with half of the songs having much appeal to me in a variety of ways. 

Details:

So I don't know if it hit you which song my impression refers to, but it's Kimbra's "Cameo Lover".  It's hidden a bit in the verse, but it has some tambourine accents, that bell patch, and once the chorus hits the reverb widens a fair amount, the tambourine becomes more prominent on the half-time backbeat, then constant on the normal second half of the chorus, and there's that Motown-styled snare on every beat propulsion, all with these icy high piano stab ornaments.  I love this song, and even though lyrically it has nothing to do with Christmas, it's going on my "I wish stores would play this instead of the same old tired and worn-out tunes they always do" list for that time of the year.  It puts me in the mood for that time of the year. 

Even the less Christmas-y details on it are radiant, like the pizzicato strings in the first half of the first chorus, the backing harmony vocals in the second verse that scoop into the notes from right below them, the horn arrangement in the chorus with the alternation between punctuations and volume swells, or the interaction of the clean guitar and piano in the bridge.  This was definitely the risk of the round, and apparently you almost didn't send it.  The one album I'd heard from her prior to the roulette disappointed me, but I'd heard a few other scattered songs that were auspicious enough that I still wanted to give her other music a shot.  So this one really paid off. 

A lot of the rest of the songs I suppose are somewhere in the ballpark of the alt-prog scene, which I know you've talked about at various points, here, on Rate Your Music and on your Youtube channel.  There are a lot of branches of it, and historically I've tended to go more for the Tool and/or Porcupine Tree-esque versions of it.  I'm much less familiar with other facets of it, some of which I suppose derive from The Mars Volta, and probably some other artists depending upon how you slice it up.  I often find a lot of artists in this musical orbit fascinating instrumentally, but the vocal styles are often less to my taste.  But I want to dig further into them to find ones that connect with me more. 

The strength of "Beneath the Brine" from The Family Crest is the cello and string arrangements individually, as well as the choral integration.  The vocals aren't particularly vexing, but are a bit out of my wheelhouse though.  But somehow the different elements don't fully congeal for me.  It's interesting that you just mentioned The Dear Hunter as a reference here, as in my initial notes for this track I had one that there's a slight instrumental clash reminiscent of "A Night On the Town".  Generally I do often like a lot of heavily-layered music, but sometimes the individual components seem to fight each other a bit much, which is what seems to have happened here. 

Fjokra's "Infinite Loops" is a similar story, though with a different mixture of elements.  A lot of the synth work is quite splendid, particularly the pads in the verses and the piano and sparkling textures around 3:05.  It also has a vivacious energy with the bass lines and doubling of them with guitar riffs in the choruses.  The vocals don't do as much for me though, that sort of talk-singing style is one that often doesn't work that well for me. 

Then we get to Jeff Buckley, who I already talked about a bit in the writeup for Puppies' EP.  He is clearly a talent that I've been ignoring for far too long.  You'd think Katatonia covering "Nightmares By the Sea" from him would have turned me onto him earlier, but for whatever reason it didn't happen.  He's really fantastic at what he does though, and I'm going to have to explore more of his music.  That central bass-driven riff at 0:36 is quite intoxicating especially, as well as that piquant doubled riff at 2:34.  Apparently you and Puppies must have subconsciously collaborated on your EPs with each other, because then we have a different song from Oceansize, making you the only two participants to share two separate artists in your EPs.  Fortunately, they're one that increasingly appeals to me, so I'll certainly be looking into them more.  Those kind of gamelan/King Crimson-ish ping-ponging clean guitars at 3:15 are especially tantalizing.  And their vocals are fine. 

Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears' "The Purple Rocket" took a bit of time to wrap my head around.  The transitions between the surf/Beach Boys-esque parts and the fusion-esque unison bits seemed a little jarring for awhile, but they're kind of fun, and with some dazzling bass lines.  It's actually somewhat like a more coherent version of Mr. Bungle's "The Air-Conditioned Nightmare" from a few rounds ago, though I'm not particularly crazy about the vocals here either.  That also goes for Kiss Kiss' "Through the Day", where the vocals aren't really up my alley, but the crazy string riffs and bursts of dissonance are rather intriguing. 

Cloud Cult's "Sleepwalker" has my favorite instrumental moment of the whole EP, with what sounds like a tongue drum similar to one I have, mixed with glockenspiel.  The writing there is quite enrapturing.  The heavier guitars that come in later with the grinding synth augmentation are potent as well.  But again, I'm not sure what to do with the vocals, lol.  They're not really overtly offputting per se, I just find myself wishing they were different.  They're a bit better later on when they're more aggressive and layered.  The vocal cadence of that "I know you're on it" line keeps reminding me of Steely Dan's "Peg" with the "I know I love you better" line. 

"Three Tigers" from The River Empires might be my second favorite song here, pretty much everything works on this tune.  A fun rhythmic groove, lively bass lines, piano, organ, and even the vocals work this time.  The interplay in the a cappella section is particularly ravishing.  Apparently this is a Dear Hunter-affiliated band - I'm not sure I realized he did production for other bands, though I suppose it makes more sense in retrospect.  Then we close with Bend Sinister's "Quest For Love".  This might have the strongest duality of what I like and dislike.  The instrumentation is superb with all of the guitar, organ, synth, and bass soloing and unisons, but what bugs me about it?  You guessed it, the vocals.  The more they remind me of The Mars Volta or Coheed & Cambria the more likely they are to vex me. 

Score: 24.5/30

Final Cumulative Score:  8 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 8.5 + 8.75 + 7 + 8 + 8 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.75 + 7.25 + 7.75 + 24.5 = 130.75

Final Overall Thoughts:

You were one of the other few people I recalled from the forum a decade and a half or so ago, though I believe our tastes were further apart then.  I think some combination of your posts and lists here, on RYM and your Youtube videos convinced me that you were much more versed in some areas of music I wanted to get more into, kind of a more eclectic mix of things in a similar way to HOF.  Convincing you to join even though you're not a roulette regular has proven to be a great decision.  Prog metal of sorts has been such a home base historically that when I've branched out in various other genres I've often neglected to pay attention to the less-metallic artists under the prog umbrella.  I guess it often felt too obvious, but meant I missed out on a great many artists. 

So I have a ton to check out more music from, from Pepe Deluxé to Kevin Gilbert to Timbre to Greg Herriges to Eldren to the Barock Project, or even somewhat less connected artists like Ours and The Warning, or In Vain.  I'm still nervous about The Dear Hunter, but they're such a favorite of some people that I'll certainly have to give them more chances as well.  I was kind of astonished that you were leading the roulette for a good chunk of it in the middle, I was not expecting us to have quite that many things in common musically.  Some strong performances from a couple others in the second half eroded and overcame your lead eventually, but it's still clear that there's more overlap than I anticipated, and even a number of artists that you didn't send but I've noticed you discussing more than most did well, like Dirt Poor Robins and The Rein of Kindo. 

---
2nd Place

Evermind - "Le Roi Est Mort, Vive La Reine!"

1:  Mono Inc. - "Nemesis"
2:  Diablo Swing Orchestra - "Kevlar Sweethearts"
3:  The Foreshadowing - "The Wandering"
4:  Diablo Swing Orchestra - "Justice For Saint Mary"
5:  Winona Oak - "SHE"
6:  Genus Ordinis Dei - "The Flemish Obituary"
7:  J2 - "Stay Alive"
8:  Röyksopp - "Running To the Sea" - with Susanne Sundfør
9:  Aviators - "Requiem For the King"

Early Impressions - "This might be the best batch of songs, but with the least comprehensible flow." - "Here we have more bands and songs that I probably should know well enough to ban, but I don't."

Favorite - Röyksopp - "Running To the Sea"
Least Favorite - Genus Ordinis Dei - "The Flemish Obituary"

Final Summary:

This EP is all over the place stylistically, but, so is my taste, and this touches on many different musical elements I like. 

Details:

The first couple paragraphs coming up here are triggered by your structure making me consciously aware of flow more than most other EPs, though I'm going to generalize a bit so that I can have people refer back to this if questions arise about my thought process on incorporating flow in these EPs.  So when I knew that I wanted to have an EP round in this roulette I realized that they're a bit of an eagerly-anticipated tradition by some of the roulette regulars.  But I was less sure of how exactly I wanted to handle the execution of them, and part of why I put off laying down too many specific rules until towards the end of the roulette.  I think some people are definitely more album-oriented listeners than I am.  While I listen to them a decent amount, it's just as often for the sake of convenience.  I probably have less of a defined sense of how an album should flow than other participants probably do, particularly ones like ariich who weigh flow as an entire third of an EP's score. 

I did want people to put some thought into it and see what resulted from it, but ultimately what I've settled on is mostly using it as a ceiling raiser for participant's scores rather than a floor lowerer.  I've noticed as I wrote the writeups that I mostly stuck to my usual method of commenting primarily on artists and songs, and had to keep occasionally reminding myself to think about the transitions between everything as well.  Still, there's relatively little commentary on that compared to everything else, so I've factored it in mostly when it was conspicuous or particularly exemplary.  My primary goal was still to receive the best possible set of songs, and I didn't want people fussing too much over not including songs just because they didn't fit an ideal perfectly-flowing EP. 

Now, more specifically onto your EP, this actually felt more targeted to me than many of the other EPs, enjoyable as some of them are.  I'm not entirely sure how much of it is you managing to start figuring out my tastes towards the end of the roulette (though the more average scores for Thrice and Dire Straits might belie that) vs. us just having a decent overlap of musical taste, but I guess it doesn't particularly matter for the moment.  Diablo Swing Orchestra, The Foreshadowing, and Röyksopp were all artists I've heard more music from beforehand, the others were much less familiar. 

I've heard most of The Foreshadowing's output and have told myself I needed to listen to them more, but it hasn't seemed to happen enough yet, though that may start changing now with you nudging me in that direction.  The clean guitar swells, flowing melodic leads, octave doubled vocals - it's such a comfortable feeling sound, that I suspect they're in the Soen category of bands I should be a bigger fan of, but needed some external prompting to realize.  That melancholic, slightly dramatic bass/baritone vocal is right in the sweet spot for my tastes.  Diablo Swing Orchestra is a band I've heard at least an album from and a few scattered songs from, and have been intrigued by, but just never got around to spending much time with them. 

And then I'm familiar with Röyksopp's collaborations with Kate Havnevik, and had heard the Susanne Sundfør tunes she'd guested on with them once or twice, but since she's a relatively newer artist to me I hadn't really gotten that acquainted with them yet.  So you caught me in the right place in the cycle there.  The other artists are all new to me (other than a cursory listen to the J2 track you sent recently in another roulette), but seem promising. 

Mono Inc.'s "Nemesis" is right in my wheelhouse.  The moody vibe, the acoustic fingerpicking, great lead vocals, the choral backing vocals, the piano accents, even the melodica soloing is unexpectedly delightful.  It would fit well on Green Carnation's The Acoustic Verses.  Both Diablo Swing Orchestra tracks are quite enjoyable, I don't seem to remember the string arrangements being as prominent on what I had previously heard from them, but they work quite well.  I remembered them having horns, which are a gratifying inclusion, as well as the bass lines and acoustic guitar work.  "Justice For Saint Mary" was especially quite a ride, I sensed something bigger was coming, and it definitely paid off, almost too much.  The dubstep elements at the end kind of took me out of it at first, though I've gotten used to them now.  The way they build up towards the conclusion is quite breathtaking though, with the acoustic hits panning back and forth, the deep pizzicato strings, the horn swells, it's a great application of compositional panache. 

Winona Oak's "SHE" is just the perfect sort of darker pop song I like, that was certainly an excellent choice.  J2's "Stay Alive" is a much more cinematic version of that, and another fantastic song.  Röyksopp's "Running To the Sea" is also quite straightforward, and the steady four-on-the-floor drive seems like a format that much of DTF shies away from, but with the right vocalist and melodies, I can't resist them, and that's exactly what we have here. 

Aviators' "Requiem For the King" is a brilliant marriage of elements, I love how seamlessly the acoustic guitars and harp-like textures fit with the glitchy and industrial-ish percussion.  Swinging back to the hardest song to evaluate, Genus Ordinis Dei's "The Flemish Obituary", I'm still not entirely sure what to make of it.  The overall darker vibe is nice, with the contrast between the choral vocals, pipe organ, piano, and the heavier riffing.  It's pleasant enough when I'm listening to it, but for whatever reason none of it really sticks with me melodically afterwards.  And the harsh vocals are kind of unusual, though I don't mind them per se.  I see that Lacuna Coil's drummer was a member for awhile, and Cristina guests on a different track, so I will have to check that one out though. 

Score:  26.5/30

Final Cumulative Score:  7.75 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8.25 + 8 + 8.5 + 8 + 9 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 8.75 + 26.5 = 132

Final Overall Thoughts:

Well, you've probably been the most serendipitous contestant of the roulette.  You were understandably away from the forum for awhile for half the time I'd rejoined before starting this roulette, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect from your submissions.  They tended to either significantly boost my interest in an artist I'd heard a bit from before, like Soen, Thrice, Kalandra, and Peter Heppner - or be alluring music from artists I knew very little about, like Black Peaks, Marketa Irglova, Árstíðir, Skein, Hypno5e, Amadeus Awad's Eon, Evan Carson, or So Hideous.  You started out in the middle, slowly worked your way up the standings, seemed to be slipping towards the end, and then pulled this surprise upset second place finish over Soundscape at the last minute with two extremely strong last rounds.  It's been nine months, so you can finally take that well-needed and deserved vacation now.  :-p

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4065 on: September 13, 2023, 07:33:22 AM »
1st Place

Nachtmerrie - "The Dark Path To Aurora Borealis"

1:  Blut aus Nord - "Tales of the Old Dreamer"
2:  Terzij de Horde - "A Robe of Words"
3:  Psychonaut - "Violate Consensus Reality" - with Stefanie Mannaerts and Colin H. Van Eeckhout
4:  Maer - "Sister"
5:  Toundra - "Strelka"
6:  Cult of Luna - "In Awe Of"

Early Impressions - "This is still lacking melodically in spots, but there's more in other sections, and enough cool stuff going on that it might work." - "A lot of this is in a style or two of music adjacent to one I love, but which I tend to neglect exploring, so this is useful as a foothold to look into these artists further."

Favorite - Psychonaut - "Violate Consensus Reality"
Least Favorite - Toundra - "Strelka"

Final Summary:

This grew over time to become of the stronger EPs, which while still not being as melodic in spots as I'd like, isn't as much of an issue over a whole EP as in a single song round.  It also has intoxicating styles I want to explore more, bolstered by the single best song of the entire roulette ("Violate Consensus Reality"), which was enough to fend off would-be challengers for the crown. 

Details:

I was a bit apprehensive at first when listening to this EP.  The first two tracks hearken back to some of the issues I had with Amenra much earlier in the roulette.  But as the EP progressed and plays of it started stacking up, my opinion evolved.  Blut aus Nord's "Tales of the Old Dreamer" is quite an unusual piece of music.  It's bereft of most of what I look for melodically, but it has such an entrancing atmosphere to it that has kept growing on me, and now I think it's a perfect song to set the mood.  I've never heard anything quite like it before, and wonder how similar their other music is to it.  Rate Your Music calls it "atmospheric black metal", but it's nothing like anything else I've heard in that genre, with all of these eerie, otherworldly swirls of guitars floating around.  It seems perfect for a film adaptation of an H.P. Lovecraft novel. 

Then Terzij de Horde's "A Robe of Words" is back to the Amenra conundrum.  I love that sort of massive low-end guitar sound and it excels on that front.  I don't find it particularly memorable though outside of the sheer immensity of the sound.  I don't think it would score particularly well by itself in a round, but as part of an EP, it actually works, just to bask in the weight of the sound for five minutes. 

Then something truly special happens.  I don't know how long you've been saving this up for, but Psychonaut's "Violate Consensus Reality" is the coup de grâce that prevented Evermind from overtaking both you and Soundscape in these final two rounds.  It is the single best song of the entire roulette.  I'd probably have given it a 9.5 in a single song round (9.75 and 10.0 being reserved only for longstanding favorite songs I've had much more time to absorb).  And speaking of Amenra again, Colin's guest appearance here gives them a partial redemption I suppose.  But this song really has almost everything.  The moody opening, the guest appearance of Stefanie from Brutus, a lush, immersive, increasingly weightier and crushing sound as it goes along, some killer riffs, a good contrast of vocal types, some delectable accents in the drumming and cymbal work, and some simple but effective moments for the bass to stand out.  The slowly building tension for when the guitars drop an octave and it explodes at 4:10 is delicious, rapturous, and oh so satisfying. 

It actually reminds me a lot of a few tracks from the Thou/Emma Ruth Rundle collaborations.  My pet term for that sound is "dream sludge", with a perfect balance of heaviness, atmosphere, ethereality, and melody.  And what this song and some others you've sent has made me realize is that there is a lot in the realms of atmospheric sludge metal and post-metal that I haven't spent nearly enough time exploring.  Doom metal in general has gradually become one of my favorite styles in the past decade or so.  But while I like some acts here and there, I'm not as much drawn to the sort of doom that is more typically associated with it, like more traditional doom, stoner metal and such.  I prefer a bit more focus on ambiance and texture than just primarily on riffing.  So what I've been finding is that some of these more atmospheric sludge and post-oriented bands have more of what I've been looking for.  I used to think all of it sounded more like Neurosis, who I've never really gotten to click - what I've heard of their sound overly focuses on the more abrasive and uglier aspects.  But a song like "Violate Consensus Reality" perfectly calibrates them. 

You originally tried to send Cellar Darling's "The Spell", which would have been a perfect addition to this EP.  Oddly enough, while they were technically softly banned even at the beginning of the roulette, I wasn't overly familiar with anything of theirs until earlier this year.  I had a heavier binge on them in-between rounds a number of months ago, which is what made have to disqualify "The Spell", since it's my favorite song of theirs.  But on the positive side, that binge has given me a greater fondness for Anna Murphy's work, so Maer's "Sister" is still quite a good substitute.  I've especially been relishing the sound of the hurdy gurdy this year, so it makes for a resplendent companion in this EP.  I've liked what I've heard of iamthemorning so far as well, so Mariana being part of this collaboration is promising for future material from them as well.  It also has guest playing from members of Ne Obliviscaris and Agent Fresco, so there's a bit of a second chance for them partially fulfilled as well. 

Toundra's "Strelka" is closer to the side of post rock/metal that I don't mind, but don't tend to actively seek out.  It's enjoyable as background music, but just doesn't have quite enough going on melodically to keep my attention, or even the enigmatic verve that "Tales of the Old Dreamer" has.  But somewhat like "A Robe of Words", it's less of a deal-breaker in the context of a whole EP like this than it would be on its own. 

Then we have Cult of Luna's "In Awe Of".  By the standards of my far too long ban list, they probably should have been on it and could be considered an oversight.  But what this roulette has shown me time and time again is that there are tons of bands that I like a certain amount, but probably should be a much bigger fan of.  I saw them live awhile back with Katatonia, TesseracT, and Intronaut, I've heard and enjoyed a few of their albums, and have a couple of particular tracks I return to more frequently, but they aren't really part of my inner circles of favorites like they could potentially be.  And this song moves them a bit closer towards that.  They don't have quite the full force in any one area that some of the other artists here do, but they touch on many of them.  This song just has a great atmosphere to cap things off, with some tasty drumming, and enjoyable synthesizer and effected guitar lines. 

Score:  26/30

Final Cumulative Score:  8.25 + 9 + 6.75 + 9 + 7.75 + 8 + 8 + 8.75 + 8.25 + 9.25 + 8 + 8.25 + 7.5 + 26 = 132.75

Final Overall Thoughts:

Well, I wonder if you're going down in roulette history now.  I guess Bolsters will have to check, but has anyone else ever won the first roulette they ever participated in?  Other than the first few years of them here when everyone was new to them, there certainly can't be too many, I'd imagine.  I had noticed before this roulette that we seemed to have a number of artists in common in various threads that aren't really DTF staples.  I figured it could be a risk asking you to join if those turned out to be anomalies, but it has really paid off.  Whether it's increasing my interest in artists I'd heard a bit from like Brutus, Karnivool, Clouds, Mastodon, Golden Earring, or MESTIS, or artists I'd heard next to nothing from like Cobra the Impaler, Jo Quail (other than the ERR guest appearances), Kosheen, or Svalbard (other than an interview), you've consistently sent a disproportionally high amount of the best music of the roulette, which is why you've won.  Besides your overall score, you've sent the best vocalist and one of my already new favorite artists of the roulette (Caro Emerald), the best heavy guitar tones (Rannoch), and now the best song with "Violate Consensus Reality".  If that's not justification for winning, I don't know what is.  Thank you so much for all the music. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4066 on: September 13, 2023, 07:33:34 AM »
Round 14 Scores:

Evermind  ...................................................  26.5
Lethean  ....................................................  26.25
Nachtmerrie  .............................................  26
Vmadera00  .............................................  25.5
senecadawg2  .........................................  25.5
ariich  ...................................................  25
SoundscapeMN  ....................................  24.5
soupytwist  .........................................  24.5
TAC  .................................................  24
twosuitsluke  ....................................  23.75
Tomislav95  ....................................  23.5
HOF  ............................................  23.25
Buddyhunter1  ............................  23
Sacul  ......................................  22.5
Puppies_On_Acid  ....................  22
Stadler  .................................  22
Crow  ..................................  19

---
Round 14 Top Songs:

1:  Psychonaut - "Violate Consensus Reality"
2:  Kimbra - "Cameo Lover"
3:  Cigarettes After Sex - "K."
4:  The Skints - "Live East Die Young"
5:  Arion - "At the Break of Dawn"

Honorable Mentions:

Against All Logic - "This Old House Is All I Have"
Aviators - "Requiem For the King"
Blut aus Nord - "Tales of the Old Dreamer"
Disillusion - "The Liberation"
J2 - "Stay Alive"
Jeff Buckley - "Grace"/"Last Goodbye"
Leprous - "Distant Bells"
Maer - "Sister"
Midlake - "Young Bride"
Modest Mouse - "The Cold Part"
Mono Inc. - "Nemesis"
Phantom Spell - "Blood Becomes Sand"
Röyksopp - "Running To the Sea"
Sailors With Wax Wings - "If I Should Cast Off This Tattered Coat"
SIAMÉS - "The Wolf"
The Expendables - "Sacrifice"/"Down Down Down"
The Movement - "Take Me To the Ocean"
The River Empires - "Three Tigers"
Tim Bowness & Giancarlo Erra - "Beautiful Songs You Should Know"
Xanthochroid - "To Lost and Ancient Gardens"
Winona Oak - "SHE"

---

Final Cumulative Standings (after 14 rounds):

1:  Nachtmerrie ----------------------  132.75
2:  Evermind --------------------------- 132
3:  SoundscapeMN  --------------------  130.75
4:  ariich  --------------------------------  130.5
5:  Lethean  ------------------------------  129.75
6:  TAC  ------------------------------------  129.5
7:  soupytwist  ------------------------------  127.5
8:  HOF  --------------------------------------  126.25
9:  Vmadera00  -------------------------------  123.75
10:  Buddyhunter1  ----------------------------  123.5
11:  senecadawg2  ---------------------------  122.75
12:  Tomislav95  ----------------------------  120.75
13:  Stadler  -------------------------------  120
14:  twosuitsluke  ------------------------  119.5
15:  Puppies_On_Acid  ------------------  119.5
16:  Sacul  ------------------------------  118
17:  Crow  -----------------------------  112.25
18:  Elite  ------------------------------ 88.5 (DNF)
19:  romdrums  ---------------------  14.25 (DNF)

---

Round Score Breakdown:

ariich:
  7.75 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 8 + 8 + 9 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 7.75 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 8.75 + 25 = 130.5

Buddyhunter1:  7.5 + 6.5 + 7.75 + 7 + 8 + 7 + 7 + 7.75 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.5 + 23 = 123.5

Crow:  6 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 7 + 5 + 7 + 9.25 + 7.75 + 7 + 8.5 + 7.75 + 6.75 + 19 = 112.25

Elite:  6.5 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 8.5 + 7.25 + 6.75 + 8 + 7 + 7.25 + 8.25 + 6.75 + 8 + ? + ? = 88.5 + ? + ?

Evermind:  7.75 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8.25 + 8 + 8.5 + 8 + 9 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 8.75 + 26.5 = 132

HOF:  9 + 9 + 6.5 + 7.25 + 8.5 + 7 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 8 + 9 + 8.75 + 6.75 + 7.75 + 23.25 = 126.25

Lethean:  7.75 + 8.25 + 7.5 + 7 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 8 + 8.75 + 8 + 8 + 8.25 + 26.25 = 129.75

Nachtmerrie:  8.25 + 9 + 6.75 + 9 + 7.75 + 8 + 8 + 8.75 + 8.25 + 9.25 + 8 + 8.25 + 7.5 + 26 = 132.75

Puppies_On_Acid:  8 + 7 + 6.75 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 8 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.5 + 8.5 + 22 = 119.5

romdrums:  7.25 + 7 + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x = 14.25

Sacul:  7.25 + 8.75 + 6 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 6.75 + 8.25 + 9 + 7 + 4.75 + 8 + 8.25 + 6.5 + 22.5 = 118

senecadawg2:  8 + 7 + 8.5 + 6.75 + 8.25 + 8 + 8 + 7.25 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 7.25 + 5.75 + 8.25 + 25.5 = 122.75

SoundscapeMN:  8 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 8.5 + 8.75 + 7 + 8 + 8 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.75 + 7.25 + 7.75 + 24.5 = 130.75

soupytwist:  6.5 + 6.75 + 9 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8 + 7.5 + 7.25 + 8.25 + 24.5 = 127.5

Stadler:  8.5 + 7.5 + 7 + 7 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 6.75 + 7.5 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 22 = 120

TAC:  8.25 + 8.25 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 7.25 + 7.5 + 9 + 8.5 + 9 + 7.25 + 8 + 8.25 + 8 + 24 = 129.5

Tomislav95:  7 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 7 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8 + 7 + 7 + 6.25 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 23.5 = 120.75

twosuitsluke:  7.5 + 8.25 + 5.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7 + 7.75 + 7 + 7.25 + 7 + 6.75 + 8.5 + 7.5 + 23.75 = 119.5

Vmadera00:  7.25 + 7.75 + 8 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 8.75 + 7 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.75 + 8.25 + 25.5 = 123.75

---

Well, I suppose that just about wraps it all up.  This roulette has turned out a bit differently than I envisioned it would, but I'm quite happy with it.  I've received music I like from everyone involved, and have many months/years ahead of me to explore more of it.  I'm glad everyone has (mostly :-p) had the patience to keep up with everything and put up with my occasional technological challenges, drawn-out pace, and other various quirks.  Thanks to everyone for participating!

I have a variety of meta, technical and philosophical post-roulette thoughts to get out later, I'll probably occasionally give some updates on various things I check out over the coming weeks/months, and maybe a little later some discussion of related or tangential future plans, but I don't want to steer away from the results just yet, you've earned them. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 08:29:43 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (We Crown a Champion!)
« Reply #4067 on: September 13, 2023, 08:07:58 AM »
Congrats Nachtmerrie!

Litho, Based on your writeup about Blut aus Nord, I think you may have fun falling down that rabbit hole. There really isn't another band quite like them. While their core sound has always been rooted in black metal they tend to go through phases of experimentation with other genres, like Dungeon Synth, Dark Ambient, Industrial, Avant-garde, Doom, Post-Metal, and Prog Metal. Easily one of the more interesting bands in the Black Metal arena and one of my favorites.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4068 on: September 13, 2023, 08:15:06 AM »
Congrats Nach.

Evermind made a huge leap there at the end. Wow.

I thought Soundscape was taking this the whole time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4069 on: September 13, 2023, 08:16:11 AM »
Man, did I finish strong in this one! I'll take the second place for sure. Great roulette, kinda felt like one of those DTF Championship roulettes. Thanks for having me and congrats Nachtmerrie!

Litho, if I run my v3 roulette, I expect you to participate :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4070 on: September 13, 2023, 08:21:29 AM »
Evermind made a huge leap there at the end. Wow.

I thought Soundscape was taking this the whole time.

So did I for awhile, that was an impressive holding of the middle of the roulette (rounds 3-9 + 11) by Soundscape.  HOF had a hare's sprint of an opening two rounds too.  At that point I didn't know everyone's tastes and personalities that well, so I wondered if he might win it.

And interestingly, after first listens, I thought Evermind might leapfrog both Soundscape and Nachtmerrie.  There were several days between finishing my first listen to Ruslan's and then getting to second plays where I seriously contemplated whether he was going to take it all.  I liked "Violate Consensus Reality" right away, but its emergence as a colossal juggernaut of a song and "Tales of the Old Dreamer" and "Sister" growing on me more held Ruslan off. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 08:33:31 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4071 on: September 13, 2023, 08:22:30 AM »
Litho, if I run my v3 roulette, I expect you to participate :P

Well, I certainly will, though you disliking half of my mystery songs doesn't bode well for me.   :D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4072 on: September 13, 2023, 08:25:00 AM »
I really liked Hallatar though! :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4073 on: September 13, 2023, 08:36:15 AM »
I really liked Hallatar though! :)

So one out of 17 mystery songs, that's probably good enough for next to last place.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4074 on: September 13, 2023, 08:38:23 AM »
I can't say I loved many of them either. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4075 on: September 13, 2023, 08:38:49 AM »
Ooh 2nd place for the EP (with lots of Einar).  That's even better than I thought.  :)

Glad to sneak into the top 5 at the last minute.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4076 on: September 13, 2023, 08:40:39 AM »
My EP was high risk/high reward, and it ultimately sunk me. But I was married to the concept.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4077 on: September 13, 2023, 08:59:10 AM »
I've really struggled with my EP. Been swapping songs in and out for half a year basically. I'm still unhappy with it and half-heartedly submitted it after delaying for a week.

Ended up having the best EP :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #4078 on: September 13, 2023, 09:00:57 AM »
Congrats to Nachtmerrie on an impressive roulette debut.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4079 on: September 13, 2023, 09:32:03 AM »
Wow! Congrats Nachtmerrie!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4080 on: September 13, 2023, 09:39:10 AM »
congrats ariichNachtmerrie

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4081 on: September 13, 2023, 09:39:22 AM »
Huge congrats Nachtmerrie, that’s a hell of an achievement!

Thanks for running this gargantuan effort Lizzo, it was a real experience and an impressive undertaking for a first roulette. Your taste has been questionable at times but your write ups have been consistently comprehensive. Maybe one day I’ll find the time to sit and read back through them all, as well as listen to all the EPs.

Nice surprise to see Live East Die Young rank in your top 5 songs of the EP round.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4082 on: September 13, 2023, 10:20:16 AM »
Just got around to checking out The Expendables and yes, they are very much up my street. Very Sublime/Mad Caddies.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #4083 on: September 13, 2023, 01:08:17 PM »
Wow! Winning as a rookie. Things can only go downhill from this point on. I guess I have to stop at my peak to keep my 100% score :D

Thanks Litho for inviting me. It had fun selecting the music and reading your detailed reviews.
Seems I did pretty well with the artist from the Netherlands and Belgium. Really glad you love that Psychonaut song. You´re way better in describing what you´re hearing but you were right. We have quite some overlap in genres that come together in bands like Psychonaut, Cult of Luna and Brutus among other.

Thanks all, for the congrats. Above all this roulette made me humble seeing  the sheer amount of good music I haven´t even heard of. There a lot of good music to discover compared to the time we have to listen to it.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 01:15:26 PM by Nachtmerrie »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4084 on: September 13, 2023, 01:13:28 PM »
Above all this roulette made me humble seeing  the sheer amount of good music I haven´t even heard of. There a lot of good music to discover compared to the time we have to listen to it.

No truer words spoken my friend! It’s what always brings me back to DTF. It’s a perfect combo of a really good community, diverse music tastes and like minded thirsty music nerds. Love to you all  :heart

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #4085 on: September 13, 2023, 01:14:21 PM »
Congrats Nachtmerrie!

Litho, Based on your writeup about Blut aus Nord, I think you may have fun falling down that rabbit hole. There really isn't another band quite like them. While their core sound has always been rooted in black metal they tend to go through phases of experimentation with other genres, like Dungeon Synth, Dark Ambient, Industrial, Avant-garde, Doom, Post-Metal, and Prog Metal. Easily one of the more interesting bands in the Black Metal arena and one of my favorites.

I second that. I few of there albums might be called ´atmospheric even progressive black´ but others like Deus Salutis Meae are more like icecold blackened, disssonant chaos. Unique band.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4086 on: September 13, 2023, 02:50:06 PM »
Congrats Nach! Thanks for running this Litho, and for actually finishing it ;D

All of this is tempting me to run another roulette, now that I'm kind of slowly getting back into my music habits (not always :lol). Let me think about it.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4087 on: September 13, 2023, 03:08:49 PM »
Seems I did pretty well with the artist from the Netherlands and Belgium.

Yeah, I've known for quite some time that I have a weakness for Dutch artists (Swedish too for that matter), and while there are a few Belgian ones I liked before, you've definitely highlighted a number more.  It seems that perhaps there's more commonality there than with France or Germany, from the relatively limited amount I've heard. 

All of this is tempting me to run another roulette, now that I'm kind of slowly getting back into my music habits (not always :lol). Let me think about it.

I have tons of stuff for it.  I'll just assume I'm anchoring last place, and any place above that is a bonus, like in Crow's.  :)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4088 on: September 13, 2023, 07:30:23 PM »
Wow! Winning as a rookie. Things can only go downhill from this point on. I guess I have to stop at my peak to keep my 100% score :D

Thanks Litho for inviting me. It had fun selecting the music and reading your detailed reviews.
Seems I did pretty well with the artist from the Netherlands and Belgium. Really glad you love that Psychonaut song. You´re way better in describing what you´re hearing but you were right. We have quite some overlap in genres that come together in bands like Psychonaut, Cult of Luna and Brutus among other.

Thanks all, for the congrats. Above all this roulette made me humble seeing  the sheer amount of good music I haven´t even heard of. There a lot of good music to discover compared to the time we have to listen to it.
If I ever do run another roulette (still need to finish my last one that's been on hiatus for almost a year....), I'd love to have you join. Your music tastes seem very close to mine. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4089 on: September 13, 2023, 07:45:42 PM »
The intransitivity of music taste never ceases to amaze me. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4090 on: September 13, 2023, 07:46:59 PM »
Intransitivity?  Lithostadlersphere?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4091 on: September 13, 2023, 07:51:03 PM »
Person A's music taste is similar to person B's.  Person C's music taste is similar to person B's.  Yet person C's taste is not so similar to person A's. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4092 on: September 13, 2023, 07:53:47 PM »
Person A's music taste is similar to person B's.  Person C's music taste is similar to person B's.  Yet person C's taste is not so similar to person A's.

Gotcha.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4093 on: September 13, 2023, 10:47:30 PM »
Hey, this was a lot of fun. Glad you enjoyed Cameo Lover as much as you do.

I had another reply written out but lost it, but I wanted to mention, how the Sing Sing version of that tune is maybe even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaTEySLiLmc

The Christmas thing, I can sort of hear in spirit. The whole "Open Up Your Heart" and uplifting/inspiring nature of it. I have a huge amount of nostalgia for that tune as I often think of when it came out 2011 and my then girlfriend enjoying it, and that time kind of how things were simpler and the whole "honeymoon" period in a relationship, etc. The rhythmic chanting just gets me everytime. Kimbra said she would sing like a drummer might play a fill. She does that kind of thing on a few other tunes, namely from that debut album "Vows" of hers (Two Way Street I am thinking of especially).

As for the rest of my EP, I chose tunes that I enjoyed a lot but also thought you would enjoy and were often 1 of, if not the most accessible.

You do seem to be sensitive on vocals, which many are including myself (1 reason I don't like Tame Impala or say Radiohead or some others like Circa Survive or The Flaming Lips). I do think sometimes they can grow on you, etc.

The Dear Hunter, they may always be sort of overrated to you, I don't know. Or maybe you just haven't heard the song or album that they totally blew you away. I do think their influence on many smaller/obscure bands is apparent, sometimes for the better.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. It was a lot of fun doing this. I didn't know if you would be into a lot of the stuff I champion, but as it turned out you were. I mean the alt-prog/progressive art rock stuff is somewhat diverse and there is a lot of it out there. And maybe you wouldn't have been into it 10 or 15 years ago. But like you said, so much of the stuff on a Dream Theater fans site is naturally going to be about Prog Metal, which makes sense and I'm one who loves a lot of that stuff as well. But, I've talked about this issue I've had for so many years with being into a style of music for so long. I have felt for the last 20 years at least, in wanting to find other kinds of music to enjoy you know. The art rock stuff sort of did that, although even with that, it's still has a certain recipe in some ways. I guess I have tried to take a buffet sort of approach. Looking for the creme of the crop. Some exceptions I suppose with long time favorites. Kevin Gilbert of course.

But, I do hope you find some of those bands/artists worth diving deeper into like Pepe Deluxe and Dirt Poor Robins (or The Reign of Kindo), which was kind of the point of this (and most) roulettes anyway of course.

I'm not sure if/when I will end up participating in another 1 of these. The 1 I have signed up for on the Stickied topic for my wife, I honestly have no idea when I will do. In fact given my wife's habits, I may just end up doing 1 for myself instead. But that may be awhile down the road per time. I'm kind of trying to get through stuff on my YouTube channel right now (Vinyl A-Z right now, and then an Albums of the Year series), so my time to use to run a Roulette as well may not be available for many weeks.

Unsure, but I'll see.

Hats off to Nachtmerrie and others.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4094 on: September 14, 2023, 12:20:20 PM »
I had another reply written out but lost it, but I wanted to mention, how the Sing Sing version of that tune is maybe even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaTEySLiLmc

I watched that one during the round.  It's always cool to see a well-captured live performance of a song I love, but it doesn't hold up to the original for me.  While I like some of the vocal ad libs she does, the production is less lush, the live backing vocals are not as good as her own on the album (particularly the ones in the second verse), it's missing the horns, and the pianist is playing an octave or two down from the record, which the unique upper-register timbral characteristics of it were one of the many details I loved about the studio version.  I see that there are other performances from that session though, so once I familiarize myself with those originals I'll watch the Sing Sing versions and maybe some of those will fare better. 

You do seem to be sensitive on vocals, which many are including myself (1 reason I don't like Tame Impala or say Radiohead or some others like Circa Survive or The Flaming Lips). I do think sometimes they can grow on you, etc.

Yeah, vocals are certainly one of my most common sticking points.  And there's just not enough time in a round for things to grow very much on you other than by sheer brute force.  Sometimes it takes multiple albums over a period of years to shift your opinion on things that bugged you at first. 

The Dear Hunter, they may always be sort of overrated to you, I don't know. Or maybe you just haven't heard the song or album that they totally blew you away.

Well, I now have two songs of theirs as footholds, "Battesimo Del Fuoco" from years ago, and I can now add "Waves" from your submission.  If two can connect with me there are probably more I'll find whenever I eventually get to some more full albums. 

But, I've talked about this issue I've had for so many years with being into a style of music for so long. I have felt for the last 20 years at least, in wanting to find other kinds of music to enjoy you know. The art rock stuff sort of did that, although even with that, it's still has a certain recipe in some ways. I guess I have tried to take a buffet sort of approach. Looking for the creme of the crop.  But, I do hope you find some of those bands/artists worth diving deeper into like Pepe Deluxe and Dirt Poor Robins (or The Reign of Kindo), which was kind of the point of this (and most) roulettes anyway of course.

Yeah, one of my favorite things about music exploration is finding a particular niche or two and gradually digging deeper into it over time.  And then finding people who are experienced in niches that you were more in the dark on, but have lots of buried treasures that they know how to find.  I don't know if I'd have given a chance to artists like those on my own, at least not nearly as quickly. 

I'm not sure if/when I will end up participating in another 1 of these. The 1 I have signed up for on the Stickied topic for my wife, I honestly have no idea when I will do. In fact given my wife's habits, I may just end up doing 1 for myself instead. But that may be awhile down the road per time.

Unsure, but I'll see.

Well, if/when either happen I'm definitely up for it.  I'm skeptical the results will work as well in the opposite direction (either trying to figure out what you or she would like but haven't heard yet, or just sending some of my other pet favorites), but it's worth a shot. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 12:27:59 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »