Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 114816 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Puppies_On_Acid:  Enslaved -> The Cult:  v
This seems right, since Enslaved is about 1000 times better than The Cult.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Big oof.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
:lol Niiiiiice.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Puppies_On_Acid:  Enslaved -> The Cult:  v
This seems right, since Enslaved is about 1000 times better than The Cult.

In terms of suckage, sure.  :) :) :)

Sorry, I love The Cult.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I just noticed; there are some HOT takes in that comparison:

Paramore -> Dire Straits:  v
Borknagar -> Ultravox:  v
Mastodon -> Golden Earring:  =?
Enslaved -> The Cult:  v
Mastodon -> Steely Dan:  v
Thrice -> Dire Straits:  v
Yeah Yeah Yeahs -> Electric Light Orchestra:  v

I'll have to see the songs, but on their face, none of those make sense in the Newtonian universe.  :) :) :) :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I'll have to see the songs, but on their face, none of those make sense in the Newtonian universe.  :) :) :) :)
Well, yeah, but this is the Stadler Round so you would think that. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
When we getting scores Litho? Feeling so good about this I’d even except 1 trillion points.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

This is the round where I try and pass the fogey taste test and fail miserably. 

When we getting scores Litho?

Whenever it is, it won't be soon enough for TAC.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If it was Ariich's 5 y/o, we'd have them already. ;D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
This is the round where I try and pass the fogey taste test and fail miserably. 
I did a whole roulette of it and I think I just about scraped a pass. Lower scores on average than my more open roulettes, but I made a lot of great discoveries.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
my experience with my latest roulette has told me that i need to make every round the weird round next time  :corn
litho add an emergency weird round to this roulette it'll be fun  :P

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
my experience with my latest roulette has told me that i need to make every round the weird round next time  :corn
litho add an emergency weird round to this roulette it'll be fun  :P

If I could guarantee receiving more Katzenjammers and Dreamgraves and Arcturuses and fewer Lizard Wizards, pAper chAses, dreamcrushers, Butthole Surfers and NOFXs, sure, but nah, I think I'm good.  :p
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 06:17:11 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I meant to post these last night, but it totally slipped my mind. 

Remember we still have round 13 to get through first, but I want to get this out now to give you time to finalize (or start!) your work on these, because even trying to resist TAC's pressure to get me to rush, the final round will be upon us before everyone is ready.  :)

Final Round 14 EP Guidelines:

*Up to 45 minutes

*No minimum time length, but quality + quantity is generally going to beat out just quality

*At least 3 different artists, no maximum limit

*No more than 15:00 from any one artist

*The ban on artists sent in earlier rounds is lifted for this round, except for entries that scored 8.25 or higher (they're indicated with a "*" at the bottom of post #13 in this thread, which is linked at the bottom of the soft ban list). 

*Unlike earlier rounds, I will be factoring flow into the score

*Scores will be out of 30, so it will be the equivalent of three rounds of scoring in one.  I'm not specifying how much of that will be devoted to flow, because since I haven't done this type of round before I'll only get a true sense of what I'm looking for as I listen through all the entries.  But song quality is still a higher priority than flow, so a random collection of great songs would likely still beat out a collection of merely good songs with perfect flow. 

*The submission format is the same as normal, if they are available, send both Youtube and Spotify links for the songs.  But if it includes audio files not on streaming services, splices of songs for flow or other purposes, and/or is combined into a single audio file I will make that my primary listening for your entry for the round.  If you do include an edited single file, please include timestamps of where any track splits are. 

*Themes, narratives, stories, artwork and such are not required and won't directly be factored into the score, but if you think any of it will enhance my experience or your own by all means go for it

*Make it obvious what the title of the EP will be

*"The TAC rule: Banned list rules remain the same with one exception, known through the ages as the TAC rule: So that you can plan your EP ahead of time, if an artist you plan to use in your EP is used by someone else in an earlier regular round, you can PM me (after hangman is revealed but BEFORE first impressions are posted) and tell me that you plan to use that artist in your EP. However, once impressions are posted, you will be locked in to using that artist in your EP with at least a full song (i.e. not just a short intro/interlude), although you can choose whichever song(s) you like, including any sent already." (this rule is copied from ariich's current roulette)

Online twosuitsluke

Yes, let me continue to work on my EP.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
You mean I need to find 3 more artists you never heard of? That's too much work :)

I'll start planning for it soon.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online HOF

I totally forgot there was another free for all round before the EP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I totally forgot there was another free for all round before the EP.
This roulette is pretty epic. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
We still have many rounds to go to get back to round 404, whereupon I have eliminated all of you and crowned the conspicuously MIA Kade with the Kip Winger Trophy. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
We still have many rounds to go to get back to round 404, whereupon I have eliminated all of you and crowned the conspicuously MIA Kade with the Kip Winger Trophy.

If it's truly for the Kip Winger Trophy, Kade would not be MIA and my absence would not be conspicuous.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i think we can make it to a full year, at the rate we're going. i wanna believe, anyways :corn

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Very close to finishing the results, I'm oddly more excited than usual about these.   :corn   I won't have quite enough time to put the finishing touches on them tonight, so expect them tomorrow evening. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Very close to finishing the results, I'm oddly more excited than usual about these.   :corn   

Not according to the comparisons. :corn

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Well, it doesn't entirely revolve around the musical experience of it, although that came out better and better over time and I don't want to ruin anything yet. 

Online twosuitsluke

I predict I will be in the top three scores of the round, but remain in the bottom three of the overall standings.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Maybe you should use your Nostradamusian powers and predict the winner of round 13 and snipe their submission right out from under them.   :justjen

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I pulled in some special guest judges specially for this round...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
So this has turned out to be a pretty good round.  Not one of the best, and with a bit lower peaks, but better than I anticipated given that my general listening preferences are still generally more modern. 

---

senecadawg2 - Bob Dylan - "One Too Many Mornings", "Visions of Johanna", "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)"

Early Impression - "I can't say I didn't warn you.  :-)"

Final Summary:

He is a great songwriter in generating the raw material for other artists to sculpt, but his own versions lack instrumental zest and feature his voice and harmonica playing, neither of which his brand of have much appeal for me. 

Details:

It's been pretty much impossible to avoid Dylan's music in popular culture.  I've heard various hits of his over the years, and as I told you via PM, I've tended to find his voice to be grating.  But of course part of the thrill of these roulettes is that sometimes my preconceived notions can be shattered.  But here, sadly they've been mostly confirmed.  I think that short of a paradigm shift in how I approach listening (which does happen from time to time), he's unlikely to resonate with me in the near future. 

When I look at why people seem to like him, it's often the stream of consciousness poetry and storytelling nature of his lyrics, and how he addresses various social issues, which are mostly extracurricular elements to the music, as important as they are to him and to his fans.  None of those have ever really been a priority in music listening for me.  I did read through the lyrics to each of these songs to see if it would spark anything, and they do seem well-constructed, and if you're the type to dig in and analyze the meaning of them, I see the appeal in that regard, but it's almost never one of my modalities of music consumption. 

So what we're left with is his voice, which I don't really enjoy the timbre of at any point, but is more tolerable in some moments than others.  The worst spots are this frequent cadence he employs where he slides down from one note to another and then into oblivion.  I've heard many parodies of it over the years, and they're all accurate.  With vocal-driven folky music the delivery of the singing is often the most important thing, so there's only so much that can be salvaged from that point.  They say opposites attract, so it's fitting that his former girlfriend Joan Baez has a polar opposite voice to his for me from an earlier round. 

And then we have the instrumental accompaniment, which is generally relatively bare-bones and without much atmosphere.  A lot of simple acoustic guitar chordal strumming, some dry and unadorned thin and plinky electric lead guitar leads with sloppy bluesy bends, some organ that's generally too low in the mix to help much, light drumming, and oh, his harmonica playing.  Yeah.  That's the other key thing about him I'm not just not into.  That lazy cowboy chordal style of harmonica playing just doesn't do anything for me.  Generally the harmonica playing I like is either a more finessed bluesy style with bends, often overdriven with a bullet mic, or the precise and nimble style of Stevie Wonder or say John Popper of Blues Traveler.  Or heck, even in this very round, the playing in Talk Talk's "Living In Another World", which is somewhere in-between but leaning towards the former.  Bob's playing isn't really any of those though. 

So ultimately Dylan for me is a great songwriter, and I have great respect for him due to that, because I've heard countless tunes of his come alive with other artists under their voices and arrangements, but Bob's own music just isn't something that excites me, and more often bugs me.  He's such a central figure to music history that I don't consider the time spent listening and researching wasted though.  I already had learned a bit about him in researching Baez in round 8, and more here, so it's at least useful from a historical standpoint. 

Score:  5.75/10

---

HOF - The Blue Nile - "A Walk Across the Rooftops", "Over the Hillside", "Regret", "The Wires Are Down"

Early Impression - "I don't understand how this is both fairly layered and yet also quite minimalistic, and yet, it is."

Final Summary:

While the vocals might work better on other songs, these just don't have quite enough instrumentally or melodically to them to stand out. 

Details:

My final feeling is that the minimalistic nature of their music is just a bit too dominant for me.  It's a little too sparse in the arrangements, and without quite enough lushness or notable moments to compete with everything else in the round.  Some of the bass playing is rather interesting, particularly on "A Walk Across the Rooftops".  The vocals are better than some slightly better-scoring artists in this round, so I could see the potential for the right song to connect, but regrettably these aren't quite working for me.  There's nothing particularly wrong with this group, they're just a bit lacking in pizzazz, and not quite atmospheric and enveloping enough to be the sort of moody and relaxing music I like, so it's kind of caught in a challenging middle ground. 

"A Walk" with the bass playing and a few more dramatic vocal crescendos, and some of the frequency modulation synthesis bell-like synth tones on "The Wires Are Down" are what stand out the most.  Most of the vocal melodies are just a bit too sleepy and blend into the background too much. 

Score:  6.75/10

---

soupytwist - Electric Light Orchestra - "10538 Overture", "Mr. Blue Sky", "The Diary of Horace Wimp", "Shine a Little Love"

Early Impression - "I'm not instantly sold on any of these songs in particular, but there's definitely a creativity to the arrangements that I'm hoping will reveal itself through additional plays."

Final Summary:

We're back a bit too far on the lighter side of music that doesn't always hit right for me, and the vocals often aren't really my thing, though it is fairly well-orchestrated with the variety of instrumentation. 

Details:

Here we have another group that I'm sure I've heard various songs from, but if pressed probably could have only come up with "Evil Woman" prior to this round off the top of my head.  I knew I'd heard the title of "Mr. Blue Sky" before, and it was one of a number of examples in this round of "oh, that song", where I'd definitely heard it various times over the years, but never really paid much attention to it.  "10538 Overture" didn't sound familiar at all by title, but had a similar feeling of déjà vu when hearing it, but again, it's a song I've heard as background noise in some other context. 

And interestingly, they kind of represent the two opposite sides of this submission.  Unfortunately, most of "Mr. Blue Sky" is the kind of whimsical tune that just doesn't do much for me.  It has this lightweight, bouncy feel to it that fails to captivate me.  The vocal delivery doesn't help, it seems to have this affected nasal approach that I can't get into.  The changeup at 3:43 is a bit more interesting though. 

"The Diary of Horace Gimp" has a similar uptempo rollicking feel to it, but has a bit more interesting set of chord progressions, particularly the descending one in the chorus, which it shares with "10538 Overture", which is the most interesting song of the batch for me.  It's pretty straightforward structurally, but has that delicious contrast of starting with a major chord, but cycling through more complex ones in the progression and various other sections of the song, which provides an endless cycle of interest.  The jury is still out on the heavy use of vocoder in a couple of these tracks.  On one hand, it provides a certain retrofuturistic variety to the sound palette, but it's at times used with a bit too much levity for my taste. 

I'm not inherently opposed to disco, but "Shine a Little Light" just seems too much like a lot of Bee Gees songs that don't really connect with me, albeit perhaps a tad better with a bit more rock guitar gallop and leads and some of the synth textures, in addition to the more typical octave bass lines and funky clean guitar comping. 

Score:  7.25/10

---

SoundscapeMN - Michael Nesmith - "Wax Minute", "Capsule", "Circle Sky", "Hello Lady", "Listen To the Band"

Early Impression - "Even in a round with exclusively 30+ year old music, this still somehow feels dated, but we'll see if it grows on me."

Final Summary:

I may have found the exact midpoint of the roulette, music that I can neither find anything I particularly love nor dislike.  I'm flummoxed. 

Details:

This was by far the hardest set of songs for me to wrap my head around, and for me to assemble my thoughts regarding, and I'm not even sure I've quite done that.  It grew on me a bit over the last few days, but this might be the ceiling for it, and I'm not entirely sure why.  My mother was a bit of a fan of the Monkees, so I've heard their big hits, but I don't think she ever really explored their deeper cuts or Michael's solo career, so it seems I've escaped hearing these tunes as far as I can tell, or it's been so long that I can't remember them.  In retrospect with more listening time under my belt, they don't feel quite as dated relative to everything else in the round as they initially seemed, and it might have been more a consequence of the wildly different mixing and production styles on each song. 

Other than that lack of consistency (which the variety of can sometimes be a strength), I can't really find anything wrong with these songs per se, they just don't especially connect with me.  There are different vibes to each song, and a variety of instrumentation, which helps a bit, but I just can't find any particular high or low points.  They're just all...fine?  And now I'm sounding like Crow...  I dunno, these songs have given me worse writer's block than anything else in the roulette so far.  I have my notes about instrumentation as I noticed it from my initial listens, but it feels perfunctory to go over it.  Apparently he plays a 12-string electric a lot, which is a sound I often like, though I don't hear much of it here. 

Update:  I had put off writing this entry 'til last because the first time through I was just drawing a blank, and did the same when editing it, hoping inspiration might strike later, though it didn't.  It could be a function of being tired by then as well.  A revisiting after knocking out 1,000 details of administrative Whac-A-Mole and a couple things finally stand out a smidge more. 

"Wax Minute" probably has the only melody that I could really remember after listening.  I'm generally not a big pedal steel fan, though the solo on it does have an interesting chromatic descending doubled run at the end of it that was a bit unexpected.  And conceptually I love Hammond organ solos, though the one on that track feels a bit random.  "Capsule" has a kind of cool bass line, and an interesting groove, although it becomes a bit overly repetitive and static - it feels more like a song for dancing than for listening.  It does have a bit of saxophone though, which helps a tad, though not really quite enough to move the needle.  "Circle Sky" is just starting to bloom a bit, with some interesting basslines, the chromatic riff break, and the vocal melody is starting to stand out just slightly. 

This could be a case of maybe a different song will connect more later, as at least his voice is more interesting than some other entries in this range.  I'm probably more likely to check out other music from him later on than most similarly-scoring entries, and at this point in the roulette you've probably earned the benefit of the doubt anyway. 

---

Evermind - Dire Straits - "Private Investigations", "Love Over Gold", "Brothers In Arms"

Early Impression - "This is a quite different side of this artist than I've heard before, and the playing is very good, though I worry that there's not nearly enough to latch onto melodically to make it memorable enough."

Final Summary:

I didn't realize that their sound had these mellower dimensions, but unfortunately it's a bit stripped-back for my tastes, and while I adore Mark's guitar playing - his voice...not so much. 

Details:

So the exposure to Dire Straits that I've had is more from some of their more straightforward tunes like "Sultans of Swing" and "Money For Nothing".  My father was a bit of a fan of theirs, so I heard some of those a lot, though he didn't seem to dig very deep into their catalog.  Like previous rounds with Mastodon and Coheed and Cambria, getting a double dose of them has certainly broadened my perception of their capabilities.  When you mentioned that "Telegraph Road" was your favorite song of theirs but didn't work with the submission, I made a note to give it a single listen on the side later, and then of course once Tomi sent it, it was clear it would be getting a lot more listening than that. 

This is definitely a more subdued, minimalistic batch of songs from them than some of the hits I know better.  Obviously there are many exceptions in both directions, but on the side of maximalism/minimalism, I'm definitely slant in general a bit more towards the former, which makes songs like these a bit more of a struggle.  It puts more stress on each particular element to be stellar, especially the vocals. 

And I'm just not crazy about Mark's voice.  It's perhaps a bit better than some of the talk-singing he does like on "Sultans of Swing", but it's a bit bland and still doesn't really appeal to me.  I've really enjoyed a few of his guest appearances with some other artists as a guitarist and backing vocalist, but when his vocals are more front and center they just don't work as well.  It's interesting that I saw a number of comparisons between him and Bob Dylan, and while his voice isn't that vexing, I can see a few similarities at times (including a milder version of that descending and sliding cadence rolloff) and maybe that's why they don't really connect with me in a lead role. 

The music video for "Private Investigations" is rather illustrative of my challenge with their music.  It makes it more obvious to me that some of these more sparse songs don't quite have enough going on by themselves, with a sprinkling of piano, chromatic percussion, organ and such.  It works in the video context as background music for underscoring and punctuating a film scene, when there is more going on visually in the frame, but removed from the visual backdrop, there isn't quite enough to latch onto.  The dashes of fretless bass are probably the most conspicuous thing going, or the three-way guitar/piano/chromatic percussion duel in "Love Over Gold".  I'm glad to see that Omar Hakim is drumming on Brothers In Arms, since he's one of my favorite players, but that track doesn't really give him any room to shine. 

So while there is not really enough going on in the rest of the arrangements for the instrumentation to hold my interest enough, by far the best feature is Mark's guitar playing, as I suspected and hoped it would be.  He really has a masterful sense of touch and nuance, with a seemingly limitless well of expression and fantastic phrasing.  The volume swells, when to pluck the strings a bit harder or more softly, and his tone in general - it's truly a masterpiece in a more generally subdued style of playing here.  I know him mostly as an electric player, and was aware he's also done some acoustic work, but the nylon-string guitar explorations in "Private Investigations" are a nice touch. 

---

Tomislav95 - Dire Straits - "Telegraph Road"

Early Impression - "The guitar playing is excellent, but the vocals probably hold it back, and I'm not sure there's quite enough payoff."

Final Summary:

Much of what applies to the other collection of songs also applies here, and while this is a superior tune with more substance, it still doesn't quite have enough oomph or memorability to catapult it higher. 

Details:

So quite a lot of what I have to say about them in general is already in Evermind's writeup, so I suppose you'll have to read that as well.  This song does build to more intensity in a few spots, particular the ending, which helps a bit.  And everything I like about his guitar playing there and elsewhere is also in full effect here.  But while this does actually go somewhere by the end, it just doesn't feel like it pays off quite enough for me.  I mildly to moderately enjoy it in the moment while I'm actively listening to it, but it just doesn't stick with me afterwards. 

And honestly that's probably more of the struggle of his voice being the focal point.  I could see this song working better with a more dynamic vocalist with a more appealing timbre.  It's not nettling like some vocalists in earlier rounds have been for me, but it just lacks sufficient flavor.  Also, while his guitar playing is magnificent for slower-paced songs, and works fine for shorter numbers like "Sultans of Swing", I'm not sure it has quite enough firepower here to properly cap off a 14:00+ track.  It's perhaps a tad restrained on gain and speed to elevate it.  This is probably the prog metal fan in me speaking, and I wouldn't want that all the time, but he's holding back a bit too much to make this truly epic. 

It's good, but it's not quite great, at least for me.  Although, I must admit that final listens did push this song up ever so slightly, so maybe reduce the intensity of whatever feeling is conveyed with the rest of the writeup by like 5-10%. 

Score:  7.5/10

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Stadler - Duran Duran - "The Wild Boys", "Hungry Like the Wolf", "Lonely In Your Nightmare", "Rio"

Early Impression - "This is not really connecting with me yet melodically, but these are some killer bass lines."

Final Summary:

There's quite a lot to like here instrumentally, particularly in the bass department and various other flourishes here and there, though I don't fully connect with the vocals and the songwriting. 

Details:

"Hungry Like the Wolf" was a title I immediately recognized, but I couldn't recall quite how it went.  Brief skimming of it led me to realize it's another of those songs that I "know", but don't know.  And it further strengthens the notion that songs I recognize but haven't really spent any significant time listening to on my own can tend to have a lot of obscured details that are completely lost in more public contexts.  In the case of "Hungry", it's all the little synth details, like the phased pads or the bubbly and percussive sequenced synthesizer parts that run throughout the song.  There are some similar textures in other songs, such as in "Rio", that are nice but aren't quite as captivating.  "Wild Boys" and "Hungry" also have some cool electronic percussion throughout.  And then "Rio" further has some really piquant tom work in the intro, though I don't recall it returning later in the song. 

The biggest surprise throughout the songs was how great the bass playing was, with a variety of interesting lines, some slap playing, a bit of fretless and such.  I also like the sustained guitar countermelody that goes throughout the choruses of "Rio".  That song additionally has a saxophone solo, which is a spotlight I'll rarely turn down.  The combination of those makes "Rio" the most interesting song from an instrumental perspective. 

On the other side, I'm a bit less enthused about the vocals.  They're alright, but don't particularly boost the songs.  "Wild Boys" really is the only one with vocal melodies that stuck with me, and is the best song of the lot on that front. 

---

Puppies_On_Acid - The Cult - "She Sells Sanctuary", "Sun King", "Fire Woman", "Love Removal Machine"

Early Impression - "It's all your favorite classic rock bands rolled into one!  This might be a bit too straightforward for me, though a few songs do have some more intriguing properties."

Final Summary:

Too much of this feels like a lot of standard older rock radio fodder, which I mildly like but don't frequently find thrilling enough, but some of the ornamental guitar textures in spots make it stand out a bit from those types of acts. 

Details:

Here we have another band that I've sampled a bit from but never really invested any serious time into.  I've definitely listened to a later album, and I feel like I gave Sonic Temple a spin at some point, but if I do I made no record of it nor do I have any recollection about it.  Other than that cover, which is pretty legendary. 

My listening experience with them this round has been a bit of a roller coaster.  The chorused guitars and acoustics early in "She Sells Sanctuary", and the bass intro and wet sustained guitar melodies in the "Sun King" intro were auspicious, as those are all types of sounds I generally like.  But then by "Love Removal Machine" it was really starting to feel like generic hard rock.  That song in particular feels like a pastiche of the main riff of the Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" with a more AC/DC feel in the guitar tone and drumming, and then the "baby, baby, baby" bit, which is so obviously a Robert Plant-ism, that I was starting to sour on them.  That's all the sort of stock classic rock that I don't hate, but never feel the need to listen to on my own because I've mostly had my fill of it from overexposure culturally for the last few decades. 

Although I will say that in a round with mostly lighter music, the rock/metal fan in me nevertheless feels a certain amount of comfort here, as these are some pretty solid guitar tones, energetic tunes, and some of the textural variation I mentioned particularly from the first couple songs, or the 12-string guitar work in "Fire Woman" helps put this at a level above say, KISS from last round.  And even the most plain song, "Love Removal", at least has that tempo change near the end to add some verve.  Finally, the vocals are competent enough, though I don't find them particularly dazzling, so that's an element that holds it back a bit as well. 

---

Crow - 10cc - "I'm Not In Love"

Early Impression - "So I thought I knew this song, but I didn't actually know it, because it has some lusher details than I realized."

Final Summary:

This is a fairly simple and pleasant song without a whole lot going on instrumentally to note, except that those backing vocals are so ahead of their time and dreamy that it doesn't really matter. 

Details:

So I kind of already gave my first thought process on this song early in the round, how it was really the track that convinced me that even some of these other tunes that I was lightly familiar with might be worth revisiting here, where I'm listening with headphones and paying much more close attention than I would be in public settings.  And the main reason for that is that while I could instantly hear some of the later melodies in my head just from the intro, I don't think I've ever really heard those lush backing vocals that effectively form a dynamic pad for much of the song.  It's fairly rare to hear anything that ethereal in this era before more modern production techniques started emerging. 

Reading a bit on the making of the song was rather fascinating.  It's a similar but possibly more elaborate version of how the synth intro to Foreigner's "Waiting For a Girl Like You" was created, which is one of my all-time favorite intros, so it seems to be a quite successful studio technique. 

And I think this extended version of the song is one that probably never plays on terrestrial radio, but gives a bit more spaciousness for the song to breathe in.  It's quite a nice selection with indelible melodies and a comfy phased Rhodes piano underneath.  But of course, it's just one song, which makes it more challenging to compete with some of the later entries.  Some blurbs were characterizing them as "the British Steely Dan", which piques my curiosity, so I will probably have to check out some of their other material post-roulette. 

And interestingly, both this song and ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky" are on the Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix compilations.  Reading what "10cc" is theorized to be a reference to, and well, Star-Lord picking them makes more sense, lol. 

Score:  7.75/10

---

Vmadera00 - Steely Dan - "Deacon Blues", "Kid Charlemagne", "Bodhisattva"

Early Impression - "There's stylistic appeal to this merging of genres on paper, and I do like it in practice, but I can't quite put my finger on why I don't love it."

Final Summary:

Certainly one of the most musically interesting entries of the round, the arrangements and instrumental inflections here are quite alluring, though like several earlier entries, the vocals are the weaker point. 

Details:

So coming off of 10cc, and speaking of ribald references, I learned a bit about Williams S. Burroughs back some time ago when I was educating myself on industrial music, but I have not read or seen Naked Lunch, and did not know the origin of Steely Dan's name either until this round, lol. 

This is another group that I'm probably a bit more familiar with than most other artists in this round.  I've always wanted to do a deeper dive on them but could never seem to summon the motivation, so as with a number of previous submissions, sometimes I apparently need that extra push.  Late in elementary school I discovered the local smooth jazz station for a period of time, which set me up for the "real" stuff later on, and there were a number of their songs that the DJs seemed to include on their playlists, and my vague recollection is that they would play a few other cuts even more often ("Hey Nineteen" and "Do It Again" come to mind, and "Reelin' In the Years" more on classic rock radio), occasionally spin the first two selections here, though my memory from a few decades ago is a bit foggy at this point. 

And the latter two tracks are occasionally discussed in guitar circles (particularly Carlton's solo on "Kid Charlemagne"), so I know I've given them an additional listen from that perspective.  Not to mention I have one album of theirs on vinyl and two on CD, all of which I've heard but am not overly familiar with. 

Obviously I like a lot of jazz, and I also enjoy a decent amount of pop rock, but too frequently in my listening they're completely separate categories.  For whatever reason I've tended to look more into metal that has jazz influences, most of which are a bit too subtle.  So Steely Dan tries to merge pop rock with jazz, which has an intriguing intellectual appeal, but I've never quite been able to get them to click.  I'm still not sure it has happened in this round either, but I'm definitely a few steps closer to it than I was before. 

This is kind of becoming something of a theme this round, but instrumentally, this is easily one of the most compelling entries.  I still feel like there are many layers to unravel in these songs, but generally the instrumentation is quite good, with an endless litany of intriguing entrancing chord work and progressions.  The horn parts are excellent, as well as the saxophone and guitar solos, or the clavinet in "Kid Charlemagne".  The 2-part guitar harmony in the intro of "Bodhisattva" becoming 3-part in later cycles is also a treat, or the guitar/synth duel later on in it.  Bernard Purdie's drumming is a bit understated, but there are some nice grooves, and savory fills on "Deacon Blues". 

I start feeling like a broken record, but I think I'm pickier about vocals than anything else, and that is the primary culprit for why I didn't take to them enough earlier, and while I can certainly see myself getting into them more now, may still hold them back from ever becoming an absolute favorite band.  They're not bad by any means, I've heard actually irritating vocals in other rounds (or even in this one), but they're just a bit weak, and they have a knack for writing melodies that never stick in my head when I'm done listening.  I can see why Steely Dan is a musician's delight, and they certainly appeal to that side of me, but my penchant for earworms precludes them quite rising to the top. 

Score:  7.75/10

---

Buddyhunter1 - Comus - "The Herald", "Song To Comus"

Early Impression - "This is way more melodic than I remember it being, and with an appealing variety of superb instrumentation, but some of these vocals...um..."

Final Summary:

The array of instrumentation is outstanding, but the male vocalist on "Song To Comus" makes some of the experience a bit bizarre. 

Details:

They were one of those cult favorite bands earlier in my explorations that I kept hearing everyone rave about.  I especially remember reading that Mikael Åkerfeldt was a huge fan of theirs.  I am almost positive I listened to this album back at that time to see what the hype was over.  The experience of hearing them in this round seems to belie that idea though, as they are quite different from whatever my imprinted memory of them was.  In particular, I seem to recall them being much more dissonant and avant-garde in their melodic sensibilities, which really isn't the case.  Much of this is just beautiful music that sounds way ahead of its time, and I can definitely hear why Mikael was inspired by them, with the intricacy of the acoustic guitar work. 

I might just not listen to or participate in enough avant-garde music discussion, but it seems without doing further research that they may have also been an inspiration to bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor in how they rub objects near the bridge pickup on higher strings to produce these more warbly astral sounds.  Much of the other instrumentation is fantastic as well, with the violin work, flute and oboe musings, sizzling percussion and such.  It might get a bit abstract in moments of "The Herald", but it's generally not an issue.  I especially love the violin/flute harmony in 3:00 on "Song To Comus".  Honestly these two songs might have my favorite instrumentation of the entire round. 

But then we are on to the matter of vocals.  Bobbie's are pretty great, with a more ethereal delivery.  But the male ones are well, kind of distracting.  He sounds like a demented forest goblin or gnome, and it makes those moments feel like it's some 70s fantasy B-movie characters breaking out into a musical.  The predilection for repeating certain words at the end of some phrases like they're creating their own echo box is also really odd. 

It's entirely possible that in the many years since I first heard this that I subconsciously rearranged my memory of the strangeness of the vocals to apply to the whole sound of the band.  I feel like I should ding the score more for those vocals given how frequently that happens in general in this roulette, but the 12:00+ song doesn't have them, and there are various instrumental parts even in "Song To Comus", much of which is enrapturing enough that it makes me care a bit less about vocal quibbles.  Earlier in my midway evaluations I had this scoring a bit lower, but I suppose also that additional plays made me enjoy the instrumentation even more and I grew begrudgingly a bit more accustomed to the stranger vocals. 

Score:  8/10

---

Elite - Jeff Beck - "Beck's Bolero", "Freeway Jam", "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", "Scatterbrain"

Early Impression - "There's a pretty high floor to this sound, but often a relatively lower ceiling, so we'll see how it goes."

Final Summary:

One of the artists I was a bit more familiar with beforehand gets a slight boost with some superb playing. 

Details:

And now we have another of the artists in this round that I was already more familiar with, though I've never really gotten over the hump in considering him a favorite.  I own a couple albums of his and have heard a couple others, and watched a variety of clips of his over the years, including the whole '09 Ronnie Scott's gig.  The two songs of his that really stood out prior to this round were his cover of Stevie Wonder/Syreeta's "'Cause We've Ended As Lovers" (which Dann Huff also has a stellar version of on Youtube)" and "Starcycle", which the Derek Sherinian cover of made me rediscover the original as well.  And even of songs in the round, I was more familiar with Charles Mingus's original of "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", or again the Sherinian rendition, which sort of makes it another cover of a cover. 

Arguably one of the single most influential discoveries for me was Joe Satriani, which led me directly to Dream Theater, but I would also hear often that Jeff Beck was really the first one to make a career out of instrumental rock guitar, so Jeff has long been in my radar, but I've never spent as much time with his work as I'd like to.  So this is certainly helpful in that respect. 

It is fascinating that we have Jeff and Mark Knopfler in the same round.  Both are in ways kind of similar guitarists, who grew to eschew using picks in favor of the greater nuance of their picking fingers directly manipulating the strings, for quite an array of tones and a wide panoply of expression.  Jeff's tone doesn't seem to be as consistently good as Mark's, it's at times a bit jagged or brittle, but there is also more power to it, with the fusiony vibe, and more noticeable live in later shows, his dexterity with the whammy bar is quite distinctive.  The ring modulator on portions of "Goodbye Pork" is also an arrest effect. 

It seems something went wrong in the original recording of "Beck's Bolero", as every version I could find, remastered or otherwise, has this weird and erratic cutting out in the stereo spectrum throughout, that was quite vexing on early listens, though I became somewhat used to it after additional plays.  The other three are quite fine though, and are thoroughly enjoyable tunes.  Really the only issue is hinted at in my impression, that this style is quite comfortable for me, but the improvisational nature of it means while I tend to love listening to it in the moment for all of the twists and turns and explorations, it's also lighter on melody, which makes me not recall it as well later on and it's harder to rise to absolute favorite levels for me.  But it's enough to do pretty well here. 

---

Lethean - Crimson Glory - "Painted Skies", "In Dark Places", "Burning Bridges"

Early Impression - "In a normal round I'm not sure this would score quite as high, but it might have a better shot here since it reminds me of a couple other contemporary and later bands I like."

Final Summary:

This is a fascinating peek into the underexplored origins of prog metal for me, with strong instrumentation and a classic vibe working fairly well, though I suppose the vocals could be a bit better. 

Details:

So in my past explorations of the genesis of prog metal, I think I've probably overlooked them more than most others.  I'm pretty sure I've heard at least a song or two at some point, but I'm not sure I ever got around to a full album.  So this has been one of the most pleasant surprises of this round.  The overall feel of the music to me feels quite a lot like Iced Earth, with the half-step downtuning, the layered acoustic guitar arpeggiations, and the classic darker metal vibe. 

But then they have quite spellbinding lead playing, which I was not really anticipating at all.  And the vocals are kind of like a lesser version of Geoff Tate, though still competent enough.  I suppose that's more or less a fairly typical prog/power vocal template, which they were probably part of the inspiration for later bands.  It's not quite my preferred vocal style, and someone more to my taste could propel them even higher (I suppose like Barlow), but here at least it gets the job done. 

There's also maybe a hint of Sanctuary, early Stratovarius, and King Diamond in their sound as well in terms of music they remind me of.  Additionally, the higher-pitched tom fills are a delicious ornamentation - I can never get enough of those. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
TAC - Lucifer's Friend - "Everybody's Clown", "Spanish Galleon"

Early Impression - "One of the songs is not really what I was expecting from this artist, but maybe that will work in its favor?"

Final Summary:

The first song is fairly good on its own, but it definitely gets a lift from the variegated instrumental brilliance of the second song, from a group that I didn't realize had the ability to go in proggier/fusion-esque directions. 

Details:

Well, having investigated the beginnings of prog metal a bit both with Crimson Glory this round and prog hard rock last round with Alice Cooper, now we get closer to the origins of metal itself.  I've had a number of spates of looking into late 60s/early 70s bands to attempt to trace the development of hard rock into heavy metal, and I remember Lucifer's Friend coming up often in those discussions, so I had at least listened to a track or two from them, but I'm not sure I ever got to a full album. 

"Everybody's Clown" is pretty much exactly what I expected, a high-powered driving rocker for the era, not too dissimilar from many other similar acts at the time, though the Hammond organ makes it a bit more special.  Not quite spectacular, but pretty solid.  John Lawton in his aggressive moments actually sounds a tad like a precursor to Chris Cornell, who I like, but if I recall correctly wasn't a favorite of yours. 

"Spanish Galleon" was quite serendipitous though.  I had no idea they had this proggy/fusiony side to them.  Ironically their drummer for a brief period of time later on was Curt Cress, the drummer of Passport, that I sent in your roulette.  There's just so much ensorcelling stuff going on in this track, with the excellent drumming (I especially like how the ride sounds later on, such as at 10:04), the active bass lines, the horns, saxophone solo, synth solo, etc.  3:14 really reminds me of either another vocalist or another song which I can't quite put my finger on, because I can't imagine this song having had radio play in the US at any point. 

Score:  8.25/10

---

Sacul - Talk Talk - "Renee", "Living In Another World", "Eden"

Early Impression - "Even with 20 minutes of music I'm still not quite sure what this band actually sounds like, but there are certainly many cool moments, especially in the middle track."

Final Summary:

"Living In Another World" really sells this submission, but the other two cuts have grown on me a fair amount as well in spite of their relative minimalism, so with this being one of the artists I'd heard the least of coming in, it has turned out splendidly. 

Details:

At the time of posting comparisons this was at a soft 8.0, and I was going to tell you that red arrows don't meant entries can't have the same score.  But in the last few days "Eden" has grown on me a bit more, so the whole submission has nowhere to go but up. 

I'm not sure I've ever consciously listened to anything from them before, but have heard their name countless times over the years, so it's been a treat to actually hear what they sound like finally.  [Edit:  Strike the first half of that, I know I listened one time to their original of "It's My Life" to compare it to the No Doubt rendition, which I'm much more familiar with.]  And the impression is still kind of accurate - these songs all sound quite different, though I've gotten familiar enough with them and read enough to be able to extrapolate a bit more now than I could at the start of the round.  I know their last two albums are generally considered part of the origin point for first-wave post-rock - I guess out of curiosity I'll have to give those a listen at some point. 

"Living in Another World" immediately impressed me.  Someone described it as the musical version of an Escher illusion, which is an entrancing way to think about it.  It does feel like the kind of song that could go on for a half-hour and somehow not feel boring.  I think my favorite example of this beforehand was Depeche Mode's "Behind the Wheel", which is a more compact distillation of the idea, based on sharing a D pedal-tone throughout the chord progression, whereas Talk Talk goes about it in a more broad way with the cyclical nature of its structure. 

But my favorite moment on "Living In" is when Steve Winwood's guest organ work brings about the first key shift, which is rather euphoric.  The harmonica soloing is a delight as well though, and is a more appealing use of it than the more traditional folk style.  Plus, there's all the various percussion augmentations which add spice to it.  Incidentally, I serendipitously discovered that one of my favorite artists, Lights, has done a great cover of this tune that I somehow was not aware of, in a more subdued style, ironically closer to the feel of the other two cuts here, though much more electronic and modernized. 

Mark Hollis' voice is quite enigmatic.  I wasn't sure what to make of it at first - it's rather singular.  But I think it's grown on me over the round, and while I'm not positive I'd love it in every context, it works quite well for the first two songs in particular. 

Then there are other nuances like the fretless bass playing, bits of muted trumpet, the synth pad at 1:34 in "Renee" and such.  "Eden" might be a tad on the minimalistic side for me, but even it has its moments.  Which are moments that I've come to enjoy a bit more and found more of in the last few days.  I don't want to totally trash talk the other roulettes, since my format has its disadvantages too, but taking a bit longer for more research, more listens, and more time for songs like these to breathe benefits this sort of submission more.  If I had to cram it in under a week I still would have loved "Living In Another World", but the other two probably wouldn't have had time to blossom and this would have stayed as a sub-8.0 submission. 

So yeah, at the time of comparisons this entry as a whole was inferior to Kate Bush last round (though "Living In Another World" was individually better), but now I prefer this submission as a total package to "Snowflake", though that piece does still slightly edge out the other two Talk Talk songs. 

---

ariich - Ultravox - "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes", "Cut and Run", "Man of Two Worlds", "Serenade"

Early Impression - "This has possibly the coolest synth sounds of the round, and a vocal memorability that some other entries lack."

Final Summary:

This does what most other entries this round can't quite do, which is to have both engrossing instrumentation and memorable songwriting. 

Details:

I can't recall now if I knew it by title, but I did recognize "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" upon hearing it as a song I know I've heard before at a few points.  And it was the immediate standout, with such an infectious chorus.  The vocals aren't quite my favorite style, but are noticeably more tuneful than most lower scoring entries.  I also love the chorused guitar and the short solo as well - it's a bit Alex Lifeson-lite. 

"Man of Two Worlds" is more subtle, but really grew on me over the round, and I've taken to the more somber moodiness of it quite a bit as well, to the point that I'm not sure which I prefer now.  "Man of" also has a groovy and propulsive bassline.  Plus, the guest vocal is a joy as well - in fact, the whole song sounds a bit like The Cure's "Let's Go To Bed" mixed with Rush's "Time Stands Still". 

The other two songs are also fairly good, though not quite at the same level, with each bringing to bear a slightly different set of elements.  "Cut and Run" has a really fat bass synth sound, that striking high-range icy synth pad, and a hint of piano.  "Serenade" has even more piano motifs, and some clever arrangements of the different components. 

I keep lampshading this, but somehow your submissions continue to bring out a lot of my shortest and clunkiest writing, but it's great music, so we both still win. 

---

Nachtmerrie - Golden Earring - "Bombay", "She Flies On Strange Wings", "Mission Impossible"

Early Impression - "Maybe I should have expected it, but I was surprised by how cool the bass playing was."

Final Summary:

I've been meaning to spend more time with this band, and based on these songs, it should be well worth it, with such a variety of enchanting elements that it's hard to boil them down to just a sentence. 

Details:

So as I mentioned earlier in the round, I know "Twilight Zone" fairly well, and I definitely recognized "Radar Love" when I sampled it again, though I don't know it as well, but as far as I can tell these three songs are new to me.  But I'm glad I've heard them.  I've been wanting to explore their music more, and I think I listened to an album a few years back and then got sidetracked, so this will definitely expedite that process now.  I also had temporarily forgotten that Barry Hay is on one of Ayreon's early tracks, so that had also piqued my interest. 

It's fascinating how different each of these tracks sound from each other, though you can certainly tell that it's the same band.  "She Flies On Strange Wings" is my favorite of the batch, though the other two are excellent as well.  The middle section of "She Flies" is kind of Pink Floydy, with a great synth bass and organ pad.  The saxophone bits earlier in the song are a tad short, but they are also welcome. 

"Bombay" has a number of really fascinating riffs, with the octave melody panned on either side, or the unusual harmony of the clean riff that comes right after.  1:46 with the percussive and effected tone and the percussion is also splendid.  "Mission Impossible" has a great groove to it and a rather catchy chorus.  The section at 3:13 is quite atmospheric and yet riveting - some of the swirling layers of leads remind me a bit of Trevor Rabin's work.  There is also some fabulous tom worked sprinkled throughout the song.  And of course, as the impression indicates, the basslines are another highlight throughout all of the songs.  One great example of the arrangement of it is on the lick at 1:42 in "Bombay", where the bass drops out at first to highlight the guitar line, but then the bass joins in for the last phrase of it. 

---

twosuitsluke - Carpenters - "We've Only Just Begun/(They Long To Be) Close To You", "Top of the World", "Superstar", "Rainy Days and Mondays", "Goodbye To Love"

Early Impression - "If you're trying to get to the bottom of the standings, this will not do.  Not at all."

Final Summary:

This fits very nicely into a missing piece of my taste, with a surprising amount of instrumental variety and sublime vocals. 

Details:

Well, you hit the jackpot on this one.  It's funny how sometimes artists are hiding in plain sight.  I've been aware of them for a long time, and I know I've heard various songs of theirs over the years, but "Superstar" is the only one of these which I instantly recognized.  And while I've definitely heard their version, I'm more familiar with it from hearing a multitude of other artists cover it over the years.  It's technically a Delaney & Bonnie tune, but the Carpenters made it much more popular.  And wow, their original and later versions from others don't do the Carpenters' version justice.  What sells these songs more than anything else is Karen's voice.  She's probably my second favorite vocalist of the whole roulette so far, with an incredibly pure and elegant tone.  Once I get more listening time in my top 25 vocalist list I submitted for Kev's thread last year is probably going to get shaken up some. 

I know my mother liked them to a certain extent - I remember on at least one occasion hearing her having a discussion with my aunt about Karen's tragic struggles with anorexia.  Her time of listening to them was probably before I was alive or conscious of music though.  But I'll need to look back through my parent's vinyl collection I inherited from them - it's entirely possible I have some LPs of theirs and don't even realize it. 

It probably also helps to a certain extent to know Karen is also an excellent drummer, which I was already aware of, but I refreshed my memory of it for this round.  Both she and Richard have jazz backgrounds, which is barely even hinted at in these songs, so I suppose I'm going to have to dig through their discography to see if it crops up anywhere.  The music is certainly way on the lightweight, fluffy and sappy side of what I like, but part of the point of the roulette is to fill in some of those gaps in my taste, and when the vocals are this good I don't mind at all.  Not all my music can be dark and/or heavy. 

I don't know if anyone else noticed what I was doing by splitting this up into two entries for hangman, because I couldn't resist doing that to yours two rounds in a row, since you had the highest song count both times if you count the first slash track as two separate songs that have been merged (which is actually the case).  I understand why with only 20 minutes of runtime you might have chosen for variety for this submission, but I listened to the full version of "(They Long To Be) Close To You" as well, and their compilation chopping off the ending of that song doesn't feel right, those are some stellar and exquisite vocal harmonies towards the end. 

But otherwise, not really knowing their other material, this seems to be a quite well-selected sampler of their music.  "Top of the World" offers a hint of country flavor, "Superstar" and "(They Long To Be) Close To You" has that Chicago-esque horn backing vibe, "Rainy Days and Mondays" brings in the saxophone and harmonica, and "Goodbye To Love" unfurls the cinematic chord progressions and a serendipitous dash of rock grit.  The first four/five songs don't seem to have a hard rock bone to be found, so while the guitar solo on "Goodbye" has kind of a harsh and brittle tone that in some other contexts I wouldn't love, here it's just refreshing for a change and caps things off well. 

These songs also make me realize how underused oboe is as a soloing instrument.  Comus had a very brief moment of it, but I'm not sure it has appeared anywhere else in the roulette, and yet it is the perfect timbre for some of those melodies to add some spice. 

Score: 

100 TRILLION PIKACHUS!!!

Oops, I mean,

Score:  8.5/10