Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 114842 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

I'm almost thinking of taking a bunch of names and drawing 2-3 of them out of a hat, lol.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Sent!

Like Puppies, I wish I had 20 minutes for this round.  :)

I've found myself wishing for just an extra 1 minute (16 total) pretty much every round, for some reason 15 minutes is a really awkward total - but I guess that's the fun of the roulette.

Well, it is...   depending on the band, of course, there are a TON of songs that fit in the 3:00 to 4:00 minute range, so unless you can find something good in a 2:00 zone, you've got a lot of dead space to fill.  That was my dilemma.   Three songs at 4:00, and that's a total of 12:00, leaving less than three minutes to fill. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent a PM.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

Sent!

I've found myself wishing for just an extra 1 minute (16 total) pretty much every round, for some reason 15 minutes is a really awkward total - but I guess that's the fun of the roulette.

Well, it is...   depending on the band, of course, there are a TON of songs that fit in the 3:00 to 4:00 minute range, so unless you can find something good in a 2:00 zone, you've got a lot of dead space to fill.  That was my dilemma.   Three songs at 4:00, and that's a total of 12:00, leaving less than three minutes to fill.

Mine was trying to get 3 songs in, but I settled for 2.  And I think I have 3 minutes left as well.

Sent!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Sent!

I've been pondering this off and on myself.  On one hand, there's never quite enough time, I'm always wishing I could somehow squeeze one more song in.  But anecdotally, in a minuscule sample size, without even really trying I've been doing pretty well at maximizing runtime in ariich's roulette with 20-minute blocks.  But in 425's, at 15-minute blocks, it did seem like I often had 2-3 minutes left, and not many bands have much to choose from in that range. 

I may try increasing the limits for rounds 12 and 13 to 20 minutes to see how that works. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
As it stands now at 15 minutes, you're getting one 12 minute song in Round 12.

And finalizing this round right now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I don't have any problem with 15 minutes, whatever you think gets the balance right. If I need to send fewer songs and have a few minutes spare, so be it - I'll still try and pick the best ones. It's just a bit of a shame when it would be nice to give a broader idea of an artist's style, but really not a big deal and already more than a lot of roulettes which just ask for a single song.

As host, I think 20 minutes is the sweet spot. I actually did 25 minutes for my fogey roulette, but I was confident I'd have fewer players and that some people (those less into older music) would send some shorter submissions, and indeed both those things happened. 20 minutes for me is perfect to get enough sense of what the artist is like and to allow players enough freedom to send what they want. It's still a LOT of music but thankfully manageable for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ok, I have sent my submission which includes the OG progressive metal song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

Hey how are Leprous and Riverside on the list when I've already sent them during this roulette?

(Though - Riverside should still be on the list since I sent an instrumental bonus track.)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
They didn't score 8.25 or higher, but I'm still quite interested in them, so I'm just hoping you didn't send the right songs.  :p

Normally bands sent in earlier rounds are banned for later ones, but for rounds 11 (the current one) and 14 (the EP), that rule is temporarily lifted for artists that scored 8.0 or lower. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 03:53:15 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Can you add the EP rules to the first post when you get a chance?

Oh, and I forgot about this.  As I've mentioned a number of times on occasion but it probably gets lost in a sea of posts if you only check the thread occasionally, I haven't completely finalized the rules yet, I've just given some broad guidelines and answered questions when prompted.  I think I'll finalize and post them after this round ends. 

I'm actually nervous about how to deal with the hangman part of the EP round, I may need to hunt for some other EP roulettes/rounds and see how it's handled. 

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I'm actually nervous about how to deal with the hangman part of the EP round, I may need to hunt for some other EP roulettes/rounds and see how it's handled.

You'll probably just want to split the EPs into a handful of batches, then once each batch is mostly completed move onto the next one.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Can you add the EP rules to the first post when you get a chance?

Oh, and I forgot about this.  As I've mentioned a number of times on occasion but it probably gets lost in a sea of posts if you only check the thread occasionally, I haven't completely finalized the rules yet, I've just given some broad guidelines and answered questions when prompted.  I think I'll finalize and post them after this round ends. 

My whole hangman process for v6 started here and went on for PAGES: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55161.msg2674975#msg2674975

:lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lethean

They didn't score 8.25 or higher, but I'm still quite interested in them, so I'm just hoping you didn't send the right songs.  :p

Normally bands sent in earlier rounds are banned for later ones, but for rounds 11 (the current one) and 14 (the EP), that rule is temporarily lifted for artists that scored 8.0 or lower.

*Sigh*

Forced Entry is a 5 star song. 10/10. 100/100.  I know it's stressful sometimes doing these roulettes so I'll excuse it as you being a little under the listening weather.... ;)

Offline Lethean

Lethean - Solefald - "Song Til Stormen", "Tittentattenteksti", "Vitets Vidd I Verdi"

Early Impression - "Two of these songs are kind of cool, but I feel like I'm observing a scuffle between two demons arguing over who gets to devour this poor sinner's kidneys first."

Final Summary:

One of the most unique submissions in a sea of unique submissions this round, this rises with two quite melodic and memorable pieces and a third "memorable" one in "Tittentattenteksti" which is memorable for stranger reasons. 

Details:

I've heard their band name mentioned many times over the years, but for some reason I had the impression they were some kind of folk metal band.  "Song Til Stormen" really isn't avant-garde at all, it's just a pretty and melodic warmup tune.  I like how in some of the vocal harmonies they will hold one note constant and shift the other notes around it, that's a rather unusual harmonizing technique.  "Vitets Vidd I Verdi" is a bit more experimental, but it's a really joyous combination of elements, with the horns, the organ arpeggios, the choir, and even the cowbell!  The ride bell work such as in the section at 0:31 is delicious as well.  The song does contain a shorter section of insanity more relevant to the middle song though. 

Now "Tittentattenteksti", I'm not quite sure about this one.  Instrumentally it's alright, perhaps a bit plain.  But wow are these vocals out of left field.  The melodic ones are fine, but the harsh?, (that's probably not quite the right word, but it'll have to do), vocals are so comical that I don't know whether to laugh or sit in bewilderment.  Some of it sounds like demented jazz scatting.  One of the songs from an earlier round in the roulette was "Demon Kitty Rag", which seems way more appropriate a title to this song than to that one.  Maybe that's what "Tittentattenteksti" means in Norwegian! 

Normally I don't care much about lyrics, but I just had to try and locate these to see what the heck was going on.  Finding them and Google translating them was hardly of any help.  Some were already in English, and some of it is probably gibberish.  What I could make out or read wasn't auspicious anyway, something about rats and butts - maybe I don't even want to know. 

My biggest complaint is that the guitar tone is kind of thin and ratty-sounding, which in weaker submissions would hold it back more, but so much else is so indelible that I can't ding it too much. 

Score: 8.25/10 + 0.5 avant-garde metal bonus = 8.75/10

---
Tittentattenteksti is a mix of English/gibberish - there are some plays on words and stuff like that, so kind of clever but I don't think you're missing much by not looking into it more.  There are two harsh vocalists - the guitar/bass player/lyricist of Solefald and also a guest female vocalist.  The other two songs are in Norwegian and from what I've read, it's this "high Norwegian" that's not really used for everyday speech and Google translate doesn't do too well with it.  Regardless of not getting a great handle on the lyrics, I love this album.  It's definitely off the wall, as is a lot of their stuff.  I enjoy other Solefald albums too, but none of them quite like this one.  I'm glad you sorta kinda enjoyed this submission. :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Tied for 4th in the round is a bit better than "sorta". 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
*Sigh*

They're available too, possibly to TAC's chagrin. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
*Sigh*

I kind of thought you'd dig them, honestly. It's not so much the score that was disappointing, it's the fact that I was a complete miss on the songs, after running through a ton of them. Those were the ones I picked because I thought they'd translate.

Offline Lethean

Never heard of Sigh.  TAC must not have sent them to me in my roulette...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Never heard of Sigh.  TAC must not have sent them to me in my roulette...

I had never sent them before, and probably won't send them again. :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
*Sigh*

I kind of thought you'd dig them, honestly. It's not so much the score that was disappointing, it's the fact that I was a complete miss on the songs, after running through a ton of them. Those were the ones I picked because I thought they'd translate.

It's possible with their production style they might always have a harder time hitting, and what songs connect often seems random from both our perspectives, and probably even more so when it's a more unusual or experimental sort of band. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Just woke up, sending in an hour or two.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

I think I found something I can send for the pre-90s round.  :) 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Think I might go for the record amount of songs sent in a single round. This may well break hangman  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Napalm Death isn't on the list...   :justjen

Though I have my suspicions about which one you're picking. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Think I might go for the record amount of songs sent in a single round. This may well break hangman  :lol
Was I right with my original guess then? :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Napalm Death isn't on the list...   :justjen

Though I have my suspicions about which one you're picking.

Yea, it’s not too hard. I’ll send my submissions in a bit. I ended up picking 10 songs that fit in the 15 minute limit, so not as many as I’d initially hoped. I was nearly able to send a song from each of their albums, but it went over 15 minutes so revised my list.

Was I right with my original guess then? :lol

:corn

Edit: sent
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 03:59:17 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline SoundscapeMN

sent.

I kept thinking about many of the artists I didn't send, I can always end up sending something from them in the EP round.

But damn, when your go-to songs are usually longer tunes (6+ minutes at least), it really kills the ability to choose them. I.e., 2nd, 3rd, 4th choices end up being picked instead mostly because of length.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Well, it should still be easier to pick than the more common one-song rule, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try the 20-minute ariich length in the next round and see how that goes. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

Round 10 was a surprise. Glad you enjoyed Svalbard.

Sent round 11.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Everyone in yet??

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Yeah, but today was too crazy to be able to run hangman.  Hopefully tomorrow afternoon/evening. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
You should be able to guess a number of these with no letters at all.  :)  One is split in half. 

??? : _____
    1: ___ ______
    2: _____ ______

??? : ________
    1: ____ ___ _______ ____

1: ___ _____ __ ___ ________
    2: ___ _______

??? : ____ ____
    1: _________

??? : _________
    1: ___ ______ __ ___ ________
    2: ___ ____ ____ _____

1: _____ ______
    2: ____ __ ____
    3: ____ ____ _ _____ ____

??? : _____ ______
    1: ____ __ _____
    2: ____ ___ ___ ______

1: ____ _____
    2: ___ ________ _____ __ _ _____ _______

??? : ____ ____ _____
    1: ____
    2: ____ ____
    3: _____ ____ ____
    4: ____

??? : _____ _______
    1: ____ __ ___
    2: __________
    3: _______ ____ ___

??? : ____
    1: _____ ____
    2: ____ ___
    3: ______ ______ __ ___ ______ ____
    4: _ _____ __ __ _________
    5: ______ ___ __________

??? : ______
    1: _______ __ ___ _____
    2: ________
    3: ____ ___ ___ _____

1: _____ ____
    2: _____ __ _______
    3: ___ ____ ______

1: ___
    2: ____ '__ ___ _____ '__
    3: _____
    4: ___ __ __ ____ '_ ____

1: ____ _____
    2: ____-_______ ___
    3: ____ _____
    4: ___ ____

??? : ___ ___ _____
    1: ___ __________
    2: _________

??? : __. ______
    1: ________
    2: ___ ___-___________ _________
    3: ___ ________

1: _________ ____ ___
    2: ____________ ____
    3: ___ ___ _ ______
    4: ___ __________ __ ______ ___ _____
    5: _**_ ___ ____

1: ____ ___

Guessed letters:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Luke sent NOFX :P

A
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1