Which version of Dune do you prefer

Dune - David Lynch
0 (0%)
Dune- The miniseries
1 (11.1%)
Dune- Denis Villeneuve
8 (88.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Dune (film versions)  (Read 12865 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Dune (film versions)
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2023, 03:17:52 AM »
Damn, that sucks.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2024, 01:45:27 PM »
The reviews for Part 2 are stellar. Have tickets for next week.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2024, 02:24:31 PM »
i voted for David Lynch in the poll. i enjoy DV but i did not like his Dune
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online faizoff

« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2024, 07:42:34 PM »
The reviews for Part 2 are stellar. Have tickets for next week.

Can't wait!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2024, 08:42:42 PM »
This is my most expected film of the year :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2024, 12:41:41 PM »
First movie was one of my favorites from the past decade, so super stoked to see the second.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2024, 03:10:06 PM »
i think for me i just don't really like Dune (the story, the book) so the idea of seeing 5+ hours of mostly brown desert movie doesn't appeal to me. i think i liked the Lynch one so much because of how many liberties Lynch took. and also it has colors other than black white and brown, lol

i hope everyone really enjoys Dune 2 tho! catching movies you're excited about in the theater is one of the best things ever <3
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2024, 02:19:05 PM »
Just rewatched part 1 last night to prepare.  That movie is even better than I remember. However I’m still pretty miffed that they omitted the dinner party with the emperor where Paul meets the emperor’s daughter. That’s a pretty damned important scene.  But that is my only complaint. Other than that, I think the story elements are portrayed perfectly.

I wonder if they even filmed it? It would have taken another 15-20 minutes of screen time maybe? And 3 hour epics are not uncommon. Just seems like a pretty big omission.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Realm

« Reply #148 on: February 29, 2024, 03:58:10 AM »
Just back from seeing Dune Part 2. Absolutely epic! See it on the biggest screen you can. There are some mindblowing scenes in this movie. A stunning spectacle.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #149 on: February 29, 2024, 05:37:48 AM »
I really wanted to re-watch Part 1 this week, but it's not on any streaming services in Canada anymore.  I could've swore it was on Netflix.   >:(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2024, 06:18:12 AM »
I really wanted to re-watch Part 1 this week, but it's not on any streaming services in Canada anymore.  I could've swore it was on Netflix.   >:(
It was on Netflix as of January (I cancelled Netflix then, so maybe it was removed). I saw it last Friday on MAX (HBO).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 06:27:56 AM by Lonk »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2024, 06:20:20 AM »
Got my tickets for 3pm tomorrow. Will probably do a re-watch of Pt 1 in the morning

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #152 on: February 29, 2024, 06:26:57 AM »
Couldn’t manage tickets until the 13th I think. But excited to see it! Couldn’t see the first one in theaters. Will probably rewatch it first.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #153 on: February 29, 2024, 06:46:51 AM »

I think it's leaving the Netflix US soon. I'm going to try and watch it tonight, catch a show maybe during the weekend.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2024, 03:24:52 PM »
It is one hell of a film! Together these films are up there in quality indeed. It is very consistent with the first film (which I rewatched last week on HBO Max) and builds upon that excellently, with matters escalating and this film having quicker pacing. Great visuals, soundtrack, and offcourse actors.

Mild spoiler: I wasn't familiar with the book, so did not know the plot. Not sure how I would describe the overall storyline and ending,  maybe bittersweet?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2024, 07:12:27 PM »
A mind blowing production on every front, I'm flabbergasted at how good that was.

It's been ages since I read the book, but I think the end was pretty faithful from what I remember. They'll have to do Dune Messiah now....

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2024, 07:28:46 PM »
That was intense

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2024, 08:07:38 PM »
That was intense

Seriously... Had to remind myself to breath at times.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2024, 03:33:04 AM »
"intense" was the exact word I said to Jingle.son as the credits rolled.  The for as amazing as the visuals and cinematography was, the audio work was just as amazing.  It's too bad the fights and battle sequences had to be cut pretty short, but I can understand why - more important to tell a complete story than to have Drax and Thanos go at it for a 5-minute fight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2024, 06:34:55 AM »
"intense" was the exact word I said to Jingle.son as the credits rolled.  The for as amazing as the visuals and cinematography was, the audio work was just as amazing.  It's too bad the fights and battle sequences had to be cut pretty short, but I can understand why - more important to tell a complete story than to have Drax and Thanos go at it for a 5-minute fight.
I leaned over to my SO at one point said "sip it Thanos" lol Yeah, for an almost 3 hour movie with so much dialogue, it feels like every second of the movie was necessary.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2024, 08:04:36 AM »
If I had any criticism of the film, it was with the one glaring deviation from the movie...  Having Alia not be born at all and not having her kill the Baron

Offline The Realm

« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2024, 04:38:05 PM »
If I had any criticism of the film, it was with the one glaring deviation from the movie...  Having Alia not be born at all and not having her kill the Baron

Not sure what the glaring omission is? There are a few changes from the book but none I would have called glaring. It worked pretty well for me.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2024, 06:30:05 AM »
Dune 2 was just amazing. Seeing it in IMAX was insane... I felt like I was riding the sandworm. Debating whether I should wait for Dune 3 or just go ahead and read Dune Messiah lol. If Dune 3 is anywhere near as good as even Dune 1, we're looking at one of the absolute best movie trilogies ever.

Also, as someone who knew nothing about Dune before seeing these movies, I find it really interesting and also kind of funny how much George Lucas was clearly inspired by Dune when he made Star Wars. I bet a lot of people will see Dune 2 and say it's a Star Wars ripoff, not knowing the novel predates Star Wars. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Polarbear

« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2024, 08:21:34 AM »
What a massive audiovisual assault to the senses! :omg:

It's rare that you feel exhausted (in a good way), after a movie. It's also rare that a 3- hour movie feels too short. I was left wanting more in the end. I like the David Lynch version, but this blows it out of the water. Can't wait to see this again!

Do yourself a favor and see this on the biggest screen you can find, with the best Dolby Atmos sound system around.

10/10

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2024, 08:30:10 AM »
We might go today. Let's see.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2024, 08:42:25 AM »

Not sure what the glaring omission is? There are a few changes from the book but none I would have called glaring. It worked pretty well for me.

There was one fairly mejor character that never made a physical appearance, which really surprised me.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was still a strong 14/10, I was just surprised at the route they took on that one.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2024, 03:04:48 PM »

There was one fairly mejor character that never made a physical appearance, which really surprised me.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was still a strong 14/10, I was just surprised at the route they took on that one.

Is that the major character which actually did make a physical appearance in the movie in a dream sequence?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2024, 03:44:10 PM »

Is that the major character which actually did make a physical appearance in the movie in a dream sequence?

Yeah, as a young adult. It's been 20 years since I read the book, but she played a pretty significant role if I remember, including killing a major character.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2024, 04:48:55 PM »

Yeah, as a young adult. It's been 20 years since I read the book, but she played a pretty significant role if I remember, including killing a major character.

Yes, that is correct. I personally liked the change as it felt more grounded but yes I guess that is a big change from the book. This character should have a large role in the next movie.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2024, 05:53:07 PM »

Yes, that is correct. I personally liked the change as it felt more grounded but yes I guess that is a big change from the book. This character should have a large role in the next movie.

I definitely would imagine, isn't there like a ten year gap between the two books?

I don't think the change detracted from it at all...I just kept waiting for it lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2024, 09:18:23 AM »
Dune seems to be crushing it at the box office. I think this is one of those rare examples where you have a genuinely great movie that is also being boosted by coming out at just the right time. People are tired of corporate cinematic universes and Dune stands in stark contrast to that. There's an artistic quality to Dune, kind of like Barbie and Oppenheimer, that audiences aren't getting much of lately. I hope the success of these movies inspires a higher quality of blockbuster filmmaking going forward, but who knows.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Polarbear

« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2024, 10:36:33 AM »
Dune seems to be crushing it at the box office. I think this is one of those rare examples where you have a genuinely great movie that is also being boosted by coming out at just the right time. People are tired of corporate cinematic universes and Dune stands in stark contrast to that. There's an artistic quality to Dune, kind of like Barbie and Oppenheimer, that audiences aren't getting much of lately. I hope the success of these movies inspires a higher quality of blockbuster filmmaking going forward, but who knows.

Agree with all of this!

Offline birchbark

« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2024, 12:12:32 AM »
I saw Dune 2 in IMAX on opening day and it absolutely blew my mind. I really enjoyed Part One, but Part Two might be one of my favorite movies ever. It is similar to how I view the LOTR movies, in that it is solid on every possible front: the music is great; there's not a single bad casting decision; good dialogue; the action scenes are intense; the special effects look good; I could go on lol.

Denis has got me thinking I need to go back and reread the book. I read it about 10 years ago and didn't really like it, but now I'm kind of craving the world of Dune.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2024, 03:08:00 PM »
Watched the first one for only the second time today to get ready for tomorrows theater trip. I honestly have not been this excited for a movie in years. Seems all the hype is warranted.

Never read the book nor watched that first movie,  but Dune 2 PC strategy game in the 90s was amazing. I never even knew it was based on a book, and it was one of the first games I ever played when we got a PC back then.

Online HOF

« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2024, 10:49:39 PM »
Just saw the first one tonight for the first time. I knew the general story going in, but I enjoyed it.

Timothee Chalomet looks a lot like a young Steve Hogarth.