Author Topic: The Tears for Fears Thread  (Read 20497 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Tears for Fears Thread
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2022, 07:07:36 PM »
It was gone. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2022, 07:12:37 PM »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2022, 08:02:54 AM »
CBS This Morning did a story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_SWNtFkEkY

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2022, 05:18:18 PM »
that was really sweet!  Although while I understand their promoting the new record it kind of irks me that every article or interview kind of erases Everybody Wants A Happy Ending,  that was the REAL reunion album but it feels like it never got as much promotion.    They jump from Curt leaving in 1991 to now but they say this is their first new album in 17 years leaving people to do the math.

Online HOF

« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2022, 07:39:49 PM »
that was really sweet!  Although while I understand their promoting the new record it kind of irks me that every article or interview kind of erases Everybody Wants A Happy Ending,  that was the REAL reunion album but it feels like it never got as much promotion.    They jump from Curt leaving in 1991 to now but they say this is their first new album in 17 years leaving people to do the math.

Truthfully, it’s been longer since Happy Ending (18 years) than the time between Happy Ending and Seeds of Love (15 years). So this does sort of feel like another reunion album even though they have technically been together all this time.

Having poked around YouTube a bit to find footage of Nick D’Virgilio performing with TFF, there were quite a few high profile TV performances in promotion of Happy Ending. Late Night, Good Morning America (I think?), several UK shows I’m not familiar with. I’m not sure why it didn’t get a little more traction, since it was a nice fit for it’s time musically I thought. But it may have been just a few years too early for some of the more recent nostalgia that’s helped older bands thrive again.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2022, 07:42:28 PM »
They had tours between those years. They just never recorded a new album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online HOF

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2022, 07:50:32 PM »
They had tours between those years. They just never recorded a new album.

Right, and they’ve recorded the odd song for compilations here and there. Still, I personally didn’t really think of them as an active band over the last 18 years.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2022, 08:09:44 PM »

Truthfully, it’s been longer since Happy Ending (18 years) than the time between Happy Ending and Seeds of Love (15 years). So this does sort of feel like another reunion album even though they have technically been together all this time.

Having poked around YouTube a bit to find footage of Nick D’Virgilio performing with TFF, there were quite a few high profile TV performances in promotion of Happy Ending. Late Night, Good Morning America (I think?), several UK shows I’m not familiar with. I’m not sure why it didn’t get a little more traction, since it was a nice fit for it’s time musically I thought. But it may have been just a few years too early for some of the more recent nostalgia that’s helped older bands thrive again.

Well observed.  For whatever reason the timing wasn't quite right.  I really like that record though, but it does seem like on that one they rekindled their partnership by going full Beatles and that can only take you so far.  This new one seems to come from a purer place, if that makes any sense

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2022, 02:23:50 PM »
Anyone listened to the new album? Any good?

Online HOF

« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2022, 02:30:33 PM »

Started on it last night. It’s a bit… bland? I don’t dislike it, but the arrangements are very straightforward and the music is very electronic, but it feels more like an imitation of their 80s style without the warmth or energy of those recordings. Just seems to be missing something.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2022, 02:56:49 PM »
I'm liking the new album a great deal! It's very moody and perfect for the times, and I'm happy to see that it's getting such glowing reviews.  Every song has something to offer, with my current favorites being "The Master Plan," "End of Night," and "No Small Thing."

Online HOF

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2022, 04:06:08 PM »

Started on it last night. It’s a bit… bland? I don’t dislike it, but the arrangements are very straightforward and the music is very electronic, but it feels more like an imitation of their 80s style without the warmth or energy of those recordings. Just seems to be missing something.

Just picked back up with Rivers of Mercy. Now that’s a really beautiful song, with a more lush arrangement that recalls Seeds of Love a bit.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2022, 06:25:45 PM »
it's kind of new agey, almost a little more than I'd prefer.

I am going to give it a little more time, however when hearing the title track last year, I suddenly  became really excited for this record. But I don't think there's another song like it on the album, nor a song I prefer to it, still, which ends up leaving me a little disappointed.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2022, 07:36:54 PM »
I was listening to the first track (no small thing )  on apple music through a dolby atmos system and there were some good surround effects, especially towards the end

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2022, 04:54:57 PM »
they've been doing a lot of promotion.  This performance of Break The Man for the Colbert show honestly sounds better than the album to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHqaESW8Ug

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2022, 05:51:51 PM »
Listened to the album. Thought it was just ok on first listen, hopefully it’s a grower.

Online HOF

« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2022, 05:54:59 PM »
Listened to the album. Thought it was just ok on first listen, hopefully it’s a grower.

After about three listens now, I’m glad to report that it has been a grower for me. Still think the back half is stronger than the first, but it’s all starting to click pretty well.

Online HOF

« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2022, 12:26:46 PM »
Haven’t watched this yet, but Everybody Wants to Rule the World gets the “What Makes This Song Greay?” treatment by Rick Beato:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2tw3R_eO4USSqogQY1EyTTC0TcBi96FirtKGfNOGk2nGpp3A0wBJs6s_c&v=6bU4R04fH4U&feature=youtu.be

Offline romdrums

« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2022, 12:56:48 PM »
Definitely a grower.  First listen was nice, but nothing really stuck with me.  On the second go around, there's more coming out. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2022, 07:14:01 PM »
It's definitely a grower. I enjoyed the heck out of the album more today than a couple of days ago.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2022, 04:27:07 PM »
It is indeed a grower. I like it a lot now. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2022, 07:16:35 PM »
I will be getting this later this week. I held off getting it right away as I did not want it always associated with a certain personal event, but I will be ready for it by this weekend.  :hat

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2022, 09:09:27 PM »
my current favorites being "End of Night"

I love that one. Great production.

Online HOF

« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2022, 09:47:24 PM »
Their performance of Everybody Wants to Rule the World on Colbert was really enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI2kJzIqUlo

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2022, 06:03:00 AM »
Finally got the new album and gave it a whirl.  Sounded good.  A few songs stood out, a few did not, but I have read that it is a grower, so I am sure future listens will reveal more layers.  :hat

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2022, 07:19:52 AM »
Listening to this atm. I only know their hits but this is working for me so far. Reminds me of both the later Manics and Minor Earth Major Sky / Lifelines era a-ha quite a lot.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: March 09, 2022, 07:24:01 AM »
The album is a grower for sure.  My fav song is "The Tipping Point," and I think it could've been a great opening track.  One little thing that bugs me though is how the guitar playing toward the and of "River of Mercy" is the same as the guitar in "Woman in Chains." 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online HOF

« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2022, 07:40:57 AM »
The album is a grower for sure.  My fav song is "The Tipping Point," and I think it could've been a great opening track.  One little thing that bugs me though is how the guitar playing toward the and of "River of Mercy" is the same as the guitar in "Woman in Chains."

I’m loving Rivers of Mercy, though I did spot that similar guitar part as well. Not sure it’s exactly the same, but there do feel to be a few call backs to earlier songs/styles throughout the album.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2022, 11:29:36 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2022, 05:45:38 PM »
After a bunch of listens, the new album is good.  Very good at times.  Uncanny how they managed to recapture their 80s sound so well on some of these songs.  While I loved the different direction of Everybody Loves a Happy Ending, which is fantastic, this one feels a lot more instantly familiar. Nothing wrong with that.  :hat :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2022, 05:52:58 PM »
The band just started their tour and it looks like they are playing most of the new album.  :tup :tup

See, that's how you do it.  The older bands who release a new album and then play one or two token new songs and then nothing else from the last 20-30 years, it's like, what is the point in even releasing new material if you have so little faith in it to where you don't play most of it? 

Offline frogprog

« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2022, 05:44:53 PM »
Thanks for that Rick Beato EWTRTW video! I truly love that song. I always  seem  to  include  it on my Playlist. To me, it's summery and bright and takes me right back to the 80s of my youth.  So cool that Rick loves it too and is able to break down all the cool things that are going on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #172 on: July 16, 2022, 05:55:14 AM »
Talk about bad luck. Curt Smith recently fractured his rib, and the band had to cancel the rest of their UK tour as a result.  How awful, considering how well this album and tour were apparently both doing.

Online HOF

« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2023, 10:21:15 PM »
So this acoustic guitar arrangement of Everybody Wants To Rule The World is tremendous:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aqx5AO4fxDU&pp=QAFIAQ%3D%3D

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2023, 10:31:49 PM »
just got tickets for this next leg of the tour they just announced.  I last saw them play in 2009, really stoked for this