Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 114900 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol. I: Variety & Reciprocity (R1 hangman)
« Reply #280 on: December 10, 2022, 01:38:32 PM »
Can't believe you haven't posted results yet  :neverusethis:

OK fuck it..

HOF sent Renaissance
Tomi sent Knight Area
Seneca sent Brothers of Metal
Puppies sent Liimatainen
Romdrums sent Galahad
Elite sent Barock Project
Ariich sent The Far Meadow
Soupytwist sent IQ
Soundscape sent Tamino
Sacul sent Gazpacho
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 02:06:15 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #281 on: December 10, 2022, 01:51:25 PM »
You can keep guessing entry senders if you want, and the identity of the Tamino song should be as easy as a Steph Curry free throw, but I'm probably posting early impressions tomorrow if I can, been out of the house a lot lately.  I'm actually well past the first listen, but more on that later.  Getting the impressions right is really its own art form that I don't think I'm that great at yet, but I'll just have to get them out there, and maybe get a better hang of them by later rounds. 
There's different ways to do it, but I just take a note of the first impression as I go through those first listens, and then sometimes go back and tweak the wording if there are a few where I want to say something similar (either conceptually, or different points but using similar language) to make it more fun. By the time I post them I'm inevitably well through my 2nd listen or sometimes even starting on my 3rd (depending on how much listening I can get in and how quickly hangman goes) but the first impressions stay as they were when I wrote them.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #282 on: December 10, 2022, 02:24:35 PM »
HOF sent Renaissance
Tomi sent Knight Area
Seneca sent Brothers of Metal
Puppies sent Liimatainen
Romdrums sent Galahad
Elite sent Barock Project
Ariich sent The Far Meadow
Soupytwist sent IQ
Soundscape sent Tamino

Except this one.  :)

Sacul sent Gazpacho

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #283 on: December 10, 2022, 02:29:41 PM »
I'll be honest, I only felt confident about that one and HOF. Did HOF send Tamino then?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #284 on: December 10, 2022, 02:36:51 PM »
You can keep guessing entry senders if you want, and the identity of the Tamino song should be as easy as a Steph Curry free throw, but I'm probably posting early impressions tomorrow if I can, been out of the house a lot lately.  I'm actually well past the first listen, but more on that later.  Getting the impressions right is really its own art form that I don't think I'm that great at yet, but I'll just have to get them out there, and maybe get a better hang of them by later rounds. 
There's different ways to do it, but I just take a note of the first impression as I go through those first listens, and then sometimes go back and tweak the wording if there are a few where I want to say something similar (either conceptually, or different points but using similar language) to make it more fun. By the time I post them I'm inevitably well through my 2nd listen or sometimes even starting on my 3rd (depending on how much listening I can get in and how quickly hangman goes) but the first impressions stay as they were when I wrote them.

Yes same here. My First Impression is a One listen impression. It's funny because, as Rich says, by the time I post them, I'm on multiple listens and they may no longer even be truly reflective about how I ultimately rank the song, good or bad.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #285 on: December 10, 2022, 08:06:53 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to do that, but on a number of them I just wasn't sure what my impression was.  A bunch were just, "hmm, I liked some elements, wasn't into other elements as much, I guess we'll see how things sort out on further listens".  A few are still going to come across like that anyway, but it would have been too many.  I don't know if it's just a skill I haven't developed, if my brain just isn't wired for those sort of initial concise observations, or it's just a consequence of theming the round and getting a decent number of similar-ish songs.  So I'm going to call them "early impressions", because some of them took a second or third listen to get an idea of what I think, though I'm going to try and still capture the initial feeling rather than anything that might have grown on me or that I noticed on later listens.  I might very well change my mind, but at the moment it feels like the impressions are harder to write than the full writeups, but I guess we'll see. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 09:00:25 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #286 on: December 10, 2022, 08:08:27 PM »
Early Impressions. Good. Let's have 'em!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #287 on: December 10, 2022, 08:11:48 PM »
Do you get audio alerts when I post or something?  I think you posted before I could even edit in a couple things.   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #288 on: December 10, 2022, 08:15:24 PM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #289 on: December 10, 2022, 08:45:25 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to do that, but on a number of them I just wasn't sure what my impression was.  A bunch were just, "hmm, I liked some elements, wasn't into other elements as much, I guess we'll see how things sort out on further listens".  A few are still going to come across like that anyway, but it would have been too many.  I don't know if it's just a skill I haven't developed, if my brain just isn't wired for those sort of initial concise observations, or it's just a consequence of theming the round and getting a decent number of similar-ish songs.  So I'm going to call them "early impressions", because some of them took a second or third listen to get an idea of what I think, though I going to try and still capture the initial feeling rather than anything that might have grown on me or that I noticed on later listens.  I might very well change my mind, but at the moment it feels like the impressions are harder to write than the full writeups, but I guess we'll see. 
Yeah for sure. First impressions don't need to all be evaluative though. I'll sometimes go with something descriptive, e.g. "this reminds me of..." or "this sounds like..." which can be used even if I've no idea what I think of it yet.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #290 on: December 10, 2022, 08:52:05 PM »
So this has answered a few questions I had about roulettes, but hadn't asked yet, or seen discussion of in any of the ones I skimmed.  Namely, is it ok to talk up your song in PMs, and is it ok to send videos of the songs.  It appears to be so, but I ignored all of that initially, purely going off the audio in my first three listens.  So here they are without any further ado. 

Early Impressions:

1:  This is a melding of a branch of prog I find intriguing, and another I don't know as well, but I'm not sure there's quite enough payoff for all of the buildup. 

2:  Not what I was expecting, but actually now I'm not sure what I was expecting.  You may have found some of the hacks into my taste though, because I'm really digging this, especially the heavy guitar tones. 

3:  You took a big risk, but it might pay off, this is more fun than I remembered. 

4:  A lot of really cool elements individually, but I'm not sure they all quite come together. 

5:  This feels like cheating, but like 425, I encourage cheating. 

6:  This might be the most impressive blending of some of the unique features of my two songs, but it also goes beyond them in other ways. 

7:  24 hours after listening, I couldn't remember a note of it.  After the second play, I had the chorus stuck in my head the next day.  Go figure. 

8:  I really want to just replay this one again and skip the rest of my listening for the night.  I love the enchanting vocals, and what tasty drum and cymbal tones. 

9:  A bold salvo, we'll see if it was worth it. 

10:  There is a lot of interest going on instrumentally, but I think the vocals are going to sink this one. 

11:  I was worried this might be the lowest scoring one of the round yet in the first minute or two, but it won me over by the end. 

12:  In a vacuum I should love this, especially with some of the more unique elements, but it's not standing out as much as I'd like it to. 

13:  I'm so glad you've brought this band back to my attention.  Sick bass tone, and what a vocalist. 

14:  The guitars really carry this one, but I'm not sure it'll be quite enough. 

15:  You've found a golden loophole.  Bravo! 

16:  I could see this band having other songs I would like more than this one. 

17:  Not quite what I thought they'd sound like.  An intoxicating cinematic and moody vibe, but I'm not sure I'm into the vocalist.

18:  What an inauspicious beginning, which turned out to be prophetic initially, because I couldn't remember a thing about it the next day.  Maybe it'll grow on me though. 

19:  Heavier than I expected, and with some cool synths, this seems promising.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #291 on: December 10, 2022, 08:57:02 PM »
So this has answered a few questions I had about roulettes, but hadn't asked yet, or seen discussion of in any of the ones I skimmed.  Namely, is it ok to talk up your song in PMs, and is it ok to send videos of the songs.  It appears to be so, but I ignored all of that initially, purely going off the audio in my first three listens.  So here they are without any further ado. 

I've done it before, but not always. If there's a certain part that stands out to me that makes it special, I may draw the attention of the host to it, namely a guitar solo, a vocal passage, or maybe the lyrics.

As a host, I generally encourage my players to tell me what they like about what they're sending.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: December 10, 2022, 08:59:50 PM »

6:  This might be the most impressive blending of some of the unique features of my two songs, but it also goes beyond them in other ways. 

I put some thought into what I sent as it relates to the songs you sent, so..

Is this one mine?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #293 on: December 10, 2022, 09:04:15 PM »

I put some thought into what I sent as it relates to the songs you sent, so..

Is this one mine?

Some of them I thought could be too obvious, but yep.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #294 on: December 10, 2022, 09:04:57 PM »
Oh good. I can go to bed now! :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
As a host, I generally encourage my players to tell me what they like about what they're sending.

It's definitely an interesting idea, although in some of my own submissions to 425 or Luke I wanted more of a tabula rasa effect and for them not to have any preconceived ideas about what the material would sound like.  Ideally I might have drawn their attention to particular things later on. 

I'll be honest, I only felt confident about that one and HOF. Did HOF send Tamino then?

Went back and noticed I hadn't addressed this.  Still nope.  It seems people kind of lose interest in previous parts of a roulette round once we're onto the next one, so I'm anticipating hangman guesses drying up, and at this point it's probably detective work for people for people to figure them out, or just lucky guesses.  I'll fill them out in a day or two with the correct senders once impression guesses start petering out.  Hopefully by then I'll be close to posting results.  Theoretically I might already have enough notes to do it, but eight of these are over 9:00, so I think I need a few more listens to really give them the respect they deserve. 

Barock Project is King

Also saw this nugget again.  Someone not in the roulette guessing someone also not in the roulette.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 10:01:32 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline HOF

Gonna guess 7 or 18. Best case, maybe 8 (at least I think the drum sound is pretty nice).

Offline SoundscapeMN

I have no idea which one is mine.

But I will say, the track I chose was the 3rd or 4th track I picked, after thinking that a couple of others would have made sense, but not as much.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Honestly I have no clue which one is mine, but I hope it’s the one where you couldn’t remember it nd then later had the chorus stuck in your head. (#7). It might also be 9/11/12 though.

Found out why I sent this song based on your songs yet? :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know, maybe 5 given that it has Russell Allen on it?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  It seems people kind of lose interest in previous parts of a roulette round once we're onto the next one, so I'm anticipating hangman guesses drying up, and at this point it's probably detective work for people for people to figure them out, or just lucky guesses.  I'll fill them out in a day or two with the correct senders once impression guesses start petering out.  Hopefully by then I'll be close to posting results.

Litho, when it comes to Hangman and First Impressions, I never let either go over 48 hours. Just keeps things moving and on schedule. I have been pretty good about keeping my one week per round schedule. 10 days at the absolute most but that's an extreme rarity..
As a host, you just have to read the room on when Hangman or Impressions peter out. Not every player even participates or guesses letters.

The only time I didn't include Who Sent What was during my Anonymous Roulette.

Offline twosuitsluke

Litho, has anyone guessed theirs right yet? Just to help narrow mine down.

I feel mine could be either...

4, 9, 10, 12 or 17?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Best case, maybe 8 (at least I think the drum sound is pretty nice).

Ding ding!

It might also be 9...though.

Found out why I sent this song based on your songs yet? :biggrin:

Yep.

Nope.  Other than the Egyptian theme and scales in "Amon-Ra", and because Tamino is part-Egyptian and incorporates elements of that culture and instrumentation into his music (though not so much on the track you sent).  Maybe that's all you meant, unless there's more to it? 

I don't know, maybe 5 given that it has Russell Allen on it?

No, but you're close. 

I feel mine could be either...12

There it is.  Worried?  :p

Offline twosuitsluke

Nah, you said it yourself, it's not standing out as much as you'd like it to. You want to love it, your body yearns for it...

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
17?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Nah, you said it yourself, it's not standing out as much as you'd like it to. You want to love it, your body yearns for it...

:lol

Offline HOF

Best case, maybe 8 (at least I think the drum sound is pretty nice).

Ding ding!

:coolio

Offline twosuitsluke

:lol

I've got his number  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Litho, can you update the Impressions with the correct guesses?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
10 steps ahead of you.  :p

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Early Impressions:

1:  This is a melding of a branch of prog I find intriguing, and another I don't know as well, but I'm not sure there's quite enough payoff for all of the buildup. 

2:  Nachtmerrie - Cobra the Impaler - "Scorched Earth" - Not what I was expecting, but actually now I'm not sure what I was expecting.  You may have found some of the hacks into my taste though, because I'm really digging this, especially the heavy guitar tones. 

3:  You took a big risk, but it might pay off, this is more fun than I remembered. 

4:  A lot of really cool elements individually, but I'm not sure they all quite come together. 

5:  This feels like cheating, but like 425, I encourage cheating. 

6:  TAC - Lost Domain - "In the Waiting Room of Death" - This might be the most impressive blending of some of the unique features of my two songs, but it also goes beyond them in other ways. 

7:  24 hours after listening, I couldn't remember a note of it.  After the second play, I had the chorus stuck in my head the next day.  Go figure. 

8:  HOF - The Far Meadow - "A Gentle Warrior" - I really want to just replay this one again and skip the rest of my listening for the night.  I love the enchanting vocals, and what tasty drum and cymbal tones. 

9:  Elite - Tamino - "Habibi" - A bold salvo, we'll see if it was worth it. 

10:  There is a lot of interest going on instrumentally, but I think the vocals are going to sink this one. 

11:  I was worried this might be the lowest scoring one of the round yet in the first minute or two, but it won me over by the end. 

12:  twosuitluke - Chthonic - "Supreme Pain For the Tyrant" - In a vacuum I should love this, especially with some of the more unique elements, but it's not standing out as much as I'd like it to. 

13:  I'm so glad you've brought this band back to my attention.  Sick bass tone, and what a vocalist. 

14:  The guitars really carry this one, but I'm not sure it'll be quite enough. 

15:  You've found a golden loophole.  Bravo! 

16:  Brothers of Metal - "Yggdrasil" - I could see this band having other songs I would like more than this one. 

17:  Sacul - Gazpacho - "I've Been Walking I" - Not quite what I thought they'd sound like.  An intoxicating cinematic and moody vibe, but I'm not sure I'm into the vocalist.

18:  What an inauspicious beginning, which turned out to be prophetic initially, because I couldn't remember a thing about it the next day.  Maybe it'll grow on me though. 

19:  Heavier than I expected, and with some cool synths, this seems promising.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 11:01:03 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
1?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Nope.