Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 577629 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #10535 on: April 19, 2024, 09:41:16 AM »
Look, not to argue, but... to argue, I don't think that's accurate.   For every pop star that is fleeting, there's an LA Guns that is riding on the one hit from back in '85 like it's a life preserver.  Quiet Riot.   Ratt.  Dokken.  They ARE the pop stars of rock/metal.   

And even those acts that WERE relevant for a time - Priest, Twisted Sister, Motley - you can't say they are still as relevant now.  Motley is a fucking joke, IMO.   I love Priest, and they just came out with one of the better albums of their career, but they aren't the pioneers they were in 79-84. 

My kid put a LITERAL powerpoint presentation together dissecting the music AND lyrics of Swift's 1989 (contrast: I used to have a book that I would write all the songs and writers and lyrics of my favorite acts - Ozzy, AC/DC, Kiss). 

Maybe I'm biased because I see one part of it, but while there's few people in my circle - a coupe of high school friends - that have my musical acumen or could take me in a music trivia event, that doesn't mean their fandom is lesser.   I see this music being as important to my kid as Iron Maiden is to me.  I see my stepson - who is as blue collar as they come - getting lost in the music he listens to now.   And sure, she isn't as big a fan of Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers now as she was then, and he's not as big a fan of Korn as he was, but I'm not as big a fan of Fastway or Queensryche as I was then. 

You're not going to tell me that there's not the same people at a Metallica show - there for the t-shirt and to hear "Enter Sandman" - as there are at a T-Swift show.

Music is music, and this notion that one genre has something over on another is as old as music itself, and as wrong as it ever was.

Coming off the Taylor Swift discussion. I feel it's appropriate to say here...The university I am attending is offering a Taylor Swift class for the upcoming fall semester.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10536 on: April 19, 2024, 05:42:36 PM »
Coming off the Taylor Swift discussion. I feel it's appropriate to say here...The university I am attending is offering a Taylor Swift class for the upcoming fall semester.

You must be joking?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #10537 on: April 19, 2024, 06:48:19 PM »
I don't think they are. What a shame
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10538 on: April 19, 2024, 06:54:39 PM »
Apparently Basket Weaving 101 must've been full.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10539 on: April 20, 2024, 09:42:50 AM »
You must be joking?

I am not. It's a class dissecting her songs and albums, relating it to how she impacted the economy, social media, among other things. It's an expansion of Stads kids' PowerPoint presentation on Swifts 1989 album.

Doesn't surprise me as there also was a TuPac class that did the same thing with his lyrics.

Also, I attended a presentation by Mariusz Kodak, who played with Trans-Siberian Orchestra as a violinist. It was on Progessive Metal and how it effects body movement. It was an amazing presentation, with song samples from Tesseract, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, and Dream Theater. This was extra credit for my Song Ethnography class.

Honestly, you can study music to discover a lot about a culture. And Taylor Swift is one that you can use to show a lot. An example is her impact on people and how as a pop artist, she can influence certain aspects of US culture. Which is using your soapbox and platform to project your opinions on matters of interest. Such as Bruce using his to say to the "Metal heads" that pop is inferior and won't stand the test of time, because it's mainly manufactured. But why does Taylor Swift have such an impact on people? That is one question you could ask and find out in the Taylor Swift class.  :lol

And also....DragonForce covered 'Wildest Dreams' in Power Metal style and the crowd loved it. Funny thing is my brothers kids went to that show just to see DragonForce, but also they don't really like Taylor Swift.  :lol

Believe me, if these pop songs were in a different style and genre, a lot of people would enjoy them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #10540 on: April 20, 2024, 03:28:46 PM »
Sounds interesting to me. Wouldn't choose it as a degree course, probably, but I could say that about a bunch of things.

There's nothing smart about music snobbery. Think your taste is better than that guy's over there? Guess what? He prefers his.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10541 on: April 20, 2024, 07:12:25 PM »
Honestly, you can study music to discover a lot about a culture.

Yes, totally fair.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10542 on: April 20, 2024, 07:20:03 PM »
I don't think they are. What a shame

Why is that a shame?  First, this isn't the first time this has been done.  My kid graduated college last year and took two popular music classes; one was on Queen and I forget the other one. It's about half of what Ben said - studying culture through the lens of popular music - but it's also the literature aspect as well.

I think this is an awesome way to introduce new concepts in a way that resonates with the students. I applaud it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10543 on: April 20, 2024, 07:25:34 PM »
When I was in high school, in one of my Religion classes I led a discussion on a couple of songs..
UFO- Just Another Suicide
Gary Moore Empty Rooms

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10544 on: April 20, 2024, 07:40:36 PM »
When I was in high school, in one of my Religion classes I led a discussion on a couple of songs..
Gary Moore Empty Rooms
One of my English classes at Uconn had us deliver the teacher a song and we had to write about that song (a series of essays).  It was awesome; I used "Ripples" by Genesis.

Never was able to shake the idea that he did that just as much to get a bunch of free cassette tapes.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10545 on: April 20, 2024, 07:44:56 PM »
One of my English classes at Uconn had us deliver the teacher a song and we had to write about that song (a series of essays).  It was awesome; I used "Ripples" by Genesis.

Never was able to shake the idea that he did that just as much to get a bunch of free cassette tapes.  ;)

I went to Bryant, but one of the classes I took, and aced, was Creative Writing. I wrote a couple of awesome stories.
But, we were talking about screenplays, and I brought in a copy of my all time favorite movie, River's Edge, and the teacher liked it so much, she played it for the class.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10546 on: April 21, 2024, 04:13:19 AM »
Gary Moore Empty Rooms

Empty Rooms, in religion class?  Why?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10547 on: April 21, 2024, 05:28:21 AM »

*biting my tongue**biting my tongue**biting my tongue*
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10548 on: April 21, 2024, 06:01:19 AM »

Fucking say it!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10549 on: April 21, 2024, 01:42:10 PM »

So, for the UFO song, that was in a classroom setting. We were talking about suicide I think.

Actually, I played the Gary Moore on a Retreat. We spent the day in the next building over and for my group that day, the teacher running it asked me to make a presentation...what love meant to me. I extrapolated the literal lyrics to something more general. The teacher liked it so much, when another group went on a different day, they asked me to present to that group.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10550 on: April 21, 2024, 02:51:13 PM »

Out with it!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10551 on: April 21, 2024, 02:52:05 PM »
So, for the UFO song, that was in a classroom setting. We were talking about suicide I think.

Actually, I played the Gary Moore on a Retreat. We spent the day in the next building over and for my group that day, the teacher running it asked me to make a presentation...what love meant to me. I extrapolated the literal lyrics to something more general. The teacher liked it so much, when another group went on a different day, they asked me to present to that group.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10552 on: April 21, 2024, 06:21:31 PM »
Man On The Edge from the Ed Hunter tour.

Man, this song can return anytime it wants to. I love how up front on the stage Adrian is for this song, and at about 2:52, Janick and Adrian have a moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRryIl8iAF0

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10553 on: April 21, 2024, 06:26:14 PM »
Bruce sounded really good on this one.  This is one I actually never really loved on the album but the Ed Hunter version rips.  I love Dave's long bend at the end of the solo here, cool shit.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10554 on: April 21, 2024, 09:04:45 PM »
I loved The Ed Hunter tour so much.  My first time seeing Maiden, with Bruce and Adrian back in the band.  They were on fire and ripping through every song, hit after hit after hit.  That ballroom was so hot, sweaty and packed with people.  Bruce was at his absolute best and sang the hell out of the Blaze songs. 

Audio only, and the audience noise dies down after a few songs.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj0u6xhHpFs

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10555 on: April 21, 2024, 09:12:26 PM »
Such a shame there was no official recording or video of that tour bar a few songs.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #10556 on: April 22, 2024, 09:27:43 AM »

And for the record, I’m not singling out Taylor Swift. I’ve never heard a single note of her music. There are brilliant pop writers and maybe she’s one of them.

That's me too and I'm extremely happy to keep it that way, but with one caveat: about 4 months ago amid the non-stop lovefest here I forced myself during a moment of weakness to click on a song to see of I could determine what all the hype was about. All I heard for the first 30 seconds was sex noises so I turned it off. High art right there  :lol. But then I had a brilliant idea: maybe James should incorporate those when he does his vocals for DT16 and maybe that will help them sell more records and tickets?  :P

Offline Grappler

« Reply #10557 on: April 22, 2024, 09:44:15 AM »
That's me too and I'm extremely happy to keep it that way, but with one caveat: about 4 months ago amid the non-stop lovefest here I forced myself during a moment of weakness to click on a song to see of I could determine what all the hype was about. All I heard for the first 30 seconds was sex noises so I turned it off. High art right there  :lol. But then I had a brilliant idea: maybe James should incorporate those when he does his vocals for DT16 and maybe that will help them sell more records and tickets?  :P

They're calling you back to your home....DT already did this on Home. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10558 on: April 22, 2024, 10:39:53 AM »

How you can possibly judge ANYTHING about a band/artist - other than simply whether you like it or not and honestly, probably not even that, but you be you - after 30 seconds is beyond me. What if the first 30 seconds are "Revolution 9"?  Beatles, really suck don't they?   ;) :) :)   Genesis; Duchess; wow their drummer must really blow if they have to use electronic drum machines, amirite?  :) :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10559 on: April 22, 2024, 03:18:34 PM »
I loved The Ed Hunter tour so much.  My first time seeing Maiden, with Bruce and Adrian back in the band.  They were on fire and ripping through every song, hit after hit after hit.  That ballroom was so hot, sweaty and packed with people.  Bruce was at his absolute best and sang the hell out of the Blaze songs. 

Audio only, and the audience noise dies down after a few songs.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj0u6xhHpFs

That sounds great!

We've talked before about how hot these shows were. I saw them a week before you in Boston and it was the hottest show I've ever been to.
Unfortunately it was one of the shows that Adrian missed. Still, seeing them in a theater was unbelievable.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10560 on: April 22, 2024, 03:39:39 PM »
The Ed Hunter tour was my second time seeing Maiden, and obviously first time with Bruce and Adrian. I could have written the rest of Grappler's post - the place was on fire, it was ultra packed, ultra loud, the band was firing on all cylinders and Bruce was a f'kin vocal god in everything. It's still one of the very best concerts I've ever seen after a quarter of a century of live shows.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10561 on: April 22, 2024, 03:41:49 PM »
It's one of my favorite shows as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10562 on: April 22, 2024, 05:23:12 PM »
The setlist was also one of Maiden's very best.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10563 on: April 22, 2024, 05:28:38 PM »

I totally agree.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #10564 on: April 22, 2024, 06:51:26 PM »

Definitely.  I bought the Hamburg 1999 bootleg VHS and played the hell out of it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TguoHe72n80

I think later tours had deep cuts that I preferred over some of the songs in 1999 (I'd take Die With Your Boots On over Killers any day), but really appreciate that they played a good mix of Dianno, Bruce and Blaze songs....and almost every single song is one of their big, hit songs.  Seeing Maiden in a 5,000 capacity ballroom was really special. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10565 on: April 22, 2024, 07:41:56 PM »
The further we get from Ed Hunter, the more special of a tour it is. You’ve got Maiden still mostly playing in medium sized theaters and no album with “only” eleven albums to pull from (versus 17). It’s a fantastic spread of the discography. I like the themed tours and think Maiden have handled their catalog as well as you possibly can with so many albums, but that was a one of a kind moment for them. Also still a few songs that haven’t been touched since that tour.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #10566 on: April 23, 2024, 10:23:56 AM »
Apparently a new Maiden album in 2026!
https://www.ironmaiden666.com.br/2024/04/bruce-dickinson-confirma-novo-disco-do-iron-maiden-para-2026.html?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3rqVvIwLLed-r7ugIUr_k5KR5ltgdNvOuR5Q0BTfZOEgDZgzunmBlEbdw_aem_Ac1U6EqG6xvMtDATXgM6KHBtrSEvHjzhSY9Pz1hGbTUWLXrXVZy44EqCR5R5abeyfQ5UiRT3bLT6uIAHGh3kGISc&m=1

"I'm going to be quite busy for the next 2 or 3 years. I have the comic to do, which is a considerable amount of work, as I write the script and every three months we have a new episode. Obviously, I'm on tour until the end of this year and next and already thinking about more solo tours. And there will also be a big Iron Maiden tour in 2026 and another album, meaning there will be no shortage of work."
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10567 on: April 23, 2024, 03:01:41 PM »
Apparently a new Maiden album in 2026!
https://www.ironmaiden666.com.br/2024/04/bruce-dickinson-confirma-novo-disco-do-iron-maiden-para-2026.html?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3rqVvIwLLed-r7ugIUr_k5KR5ltgdNvOuR5Q0BTfZOEgDZgzunmBlEbdw_aem_Ac1U6EqG6xvMtDATXgM6KHBtrSEvHjzhSY9Pz1hGbTUWLXrXVZy44EqCR5R5abeyfQ5UiRT3bLT6uIAHGh3kGISc&m=1

"I'm going to be quite busy for the next 2 or 3 years. I have the comic to do, which is a considerable amount of work, as I write the script and every three months we have a new episode. Obviously, I'm on tour until the end of this year and next and already thinking about more solo tours. And there will also be a big Iron Maiden tour in 2026 and another album, meaning there will be no shortage of work."

I'm in!!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10568 on: April 23, 2024, 03:06:02 PM »
Nicko will be 72 when they tour here in the fall. I'm honestly not banking on seeing them after this coming tour. I'm hopeful for sure, but I'm going into this one as likely the last time I see them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10569 on: April 23, 2024, 03:06:34 PM »
Nicko will be 72 when they tour here in the fall. I'm honestly not banking on seeing them after this coming tour. I'm hopeful for sure, but I'm going into this one as likely the last time I see them.

Are you going to Worcester?