Author Topic: NJ - Red bank - Count Basie/HMM March9, 2022  (Read 1548 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

NJ - Red bank - Count Basie/HMM March9, 2022
« on: March 09, 2022, 10:52:19 PM »
Awesome show by  the guys tonight in NJ. Only critique I'd have is that the new songs didn't seem to me to translate well to the stage, but small gripe. Had 7th row aisle seat on JP side and as always, was completely mesmerized by his skill level. Saw lots of familiar faces in the crowd as well. This was my 46th DT show since '92 (opening for Maiden) :metal and 9th with MM behind the kit. Hoping for a second leg with a completely different set list. :tup

Offline utopiarun

Re: NJ - Red bank - Count Basie/HMM March9, 2022
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 08:54:20 AM »
Hi, I was in the same row! Of course the skill level was off the charts, watching JP up close is always a treat, he is in another world! One thing I have to comment on, was the sheer volume of the show. Holy cow, why do they have to be so damn loud? I had to borrow ear plugs from my son and it was still deafening. Maybe in the middle of the venue you can hear everything better but to my ears JP was so loud that I had trouble hearing James when he was not shouting. They are consistently the loudest shows I see and I hate to complain as I love this band and the setlist was fantastic (Endless Sacrifice was great!!).

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 12:40:01 PM »
Yeah I brought ear protection because last tour the sound was just off the charts loud. It’s not comfortable and it certainly doesn’t sound “good.” Most of the DT concerts I’ve been to since 2005 have had great sound but these last two tours the sound level is just absurd. Everything is just a distorted mess. I remember when Arch Echo was on the sound was at a normal rock concert level and I was glad thinking “oh good, they turned the volume down a peg this tour.” The minute DT came on, the sound went right back up to crazy high level. I mean the band has to be aware of it because many other people have posted the same thing so it must be how they want the show to sound 🤷‍♂️

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 10:02:48 AM »
I remember when Arch Echo was on the sound was at a normal rock concert level and I was glad thinking “oh good, they turned the volume down a peg this tour.” The minute DT came on, the sound went right back up to crazy high level.

It was the opposite in Milwaukee. Arch Echo was loud. Dream Theater was perfect.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 12:10:30 PM »
I remember when Arch Echo was on the sound was at a normal rock concert level and I was glad thinking “oh good, they turned the volume down a peg this tour.” The minute DT came on, the sound went right back up to crazy high level.

It was the opposite in Milwaukee. Arch Echo was loud. Dream Theater was perfect.
Same in Seattle. Arch Echo (Ouch Echo) was way louder than DT, and their sound man loves those deep bass frequencies way too much.
DT was loud, but a good loud..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
Having never heard them before, I was pleasantly surprised with Arch Echo.  I think they have to figure out their look, though.  I'm all for the "jeans and t-shirt" thing.  They just look like 5 random guys who walked in off the street.  The fill-in drummer they had was pretty awesome.  It's not like he was filling in for some bar band playing the standard covers.  Their stuff was pretty intricate.  I found them to be pretty enjoyable.

This was my 4th time seeing DT with Mangini, 27th overall.  We were in the first row up top.  So, we had a great perspective of the stage.  I'm probably gonna get hammered for this.  But, I'm not a fan of the setlist at all.  I agree that a band should definitely play songs from the album they're supporting.  However, when they're only playing for about 2 hours and the new songs comprise almost half that time, I feel it's a little much.  I was thrilled to hear 6:00 again.  I can't remember the last time I'd seen that live.  And, I'm always thrilled to hear anything off SDoIT.  Awaken The Master might be the song I like most off the new album.  I thought it sounded great live.  And, if people haven't already said "F*ck this guy and his dumb opinions", this is definitely gonna get them saying that.  The weakest part of the show for me is the song AVFTTOTW.  The studio version of the song does nothing for me.  Seeing it live certainly didn't change my opinion.  I just find the song to be bloated and unnecessarily long.  Maybe I just need songs to be more concise as I get older.  And, normally, I can watch Mangini play anything.  During this song, I just didn't care.  I couldn't wait for TCoT.  It was a great closer and the band sounded awesome playing it.

Overall, the band was tight, though.  As everyone seems to be saying, James sounded great throughout the show. 

One question I have.  And, forgive me if it's been mentioned before.  I haven't done a lot of digging.  What's the iPad-looking thingy on the stand in front of JM.  It's obviously not a teleprompter.   He doesn't say a word all show.  And, I have a hard time imagining he needs the music in front of him after over 30 years.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 12:50:04 PM by cfmoran13 »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 10:36:39 PM »
The weakest part of the show for me is the song AVFTTOTW.  The studio version of the song does nothing for me.  Seeing it live certainly didn't change my opinion.  I just find the song to be bloated and unnecessarily long.

FINALLY someone had the nerve to say it! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 06:13:10 PM »
The weakest part of the show for me is the song AVFTTOTW.  The studio version of the song does nothing for me.  Seeing it live certainly didn't change my opinion.  I just find the song to be bloated and unnecessarily long.

FINALLY someone had the nerve to say it! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
And I have the nerve to say, I completely disagree. AVFTTOTW is a killer epic song and was a highlight of the show when I saw them on this tour..    :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 06:46:23 PM »
This was my 46th DT show since '92 (opening for Maiden) :metal

I was there!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 09:34:24 PM »
This was my 46th DT show since '92 (opening for Maiden) :metal

I was there!!!!!

Awesome :metal  I can't say i was there FOR  DT though, but obviously i LOVED what i saw and heard! :hefdaddy

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 05:20:34 AM »
And I have the nerve to say, I completely disagree. AVFTTOTW is a killer epic song and was a highlight of the show when I saw them on this tour..    :metal

Agreed! It's the high point of the album and was my favorite moment of the CT show. Especially the slow part in the middle.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 03:26:03 PM »

Agreed! It's the high point of the album and was my favorite moment of the CT show. Especially the slow part in the middle.

:tdwn :tdwn :tdwn

Online geeeemo

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 05:00:20 PM »

my favorite section of music in a very long time!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 03:52:32 AM »
my favorite section of music in a very long time!

Same. From the reactions here I assume it's a love it or hate it thing.  :huh: