Author Topic: Evermind's artsy/deranged v4 Roulette - Round 1 First Impressions  (Read 2252 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Evermind's artsy/deranged v4 Roulette - Round 1 First Impressions
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2024, 10:28:34 AM »
Oh that's actually her name?
Ah, yes. Rioghan Darcy (although that's a stage name as she's actually Finnish and her real name is Jenni Peramäki).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2024, 10:48:36 AM »
Alright!  LOL  Last one!

Strong start but quickly proceeded losing me as it got more and more uplifting and positive.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2024, 10:48:48 AM »
I guess the last one is mine :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2024, 11:31:24 AM »
I was one hundred percent sure there will be operatic vocals. Some clever songwriting there.

Maybe this one?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2024, 02:43:56 AM »
Beautiful but lacking dynamics?

Nope!

Alright!  LOL  Last one!

Strong start but quickly proceeded losing me as it got more and more uplifting and positive.

Nope :lol Scorpions have a track with the same name that I really like.

I guess the last one is mine :lol

Unfortunately (or fortunately) not.

Maybe this one?

Correct!

Round 1 First Impressions

Is this loss? Mick Moss? Wait no, is this the guy from Wolverine? Wait no. Do I know this guy? I don't remember anything about the song.

King - Mile Marker Zero: I agree with the message and the philosophy, but it's possible that Scorpions had a better take on this.

Is there a condensed three-minute version of this?

Lonk - Bonobo: All I can remember is that keyboard lick. I think there were vocals too.

wolfking - Sworn: Is this the metal version of the same keyboard lick? And then the song just ended.

Stadler - Alice In Chains: With this band name I was sure it'll be metal. I was promised nothing yet I feel misled.

There was chaos and I think a trumpet? This flew by.

Elite - Nat King Cole: 4 is for the amount of points you'll get with this song. 10 is for the amount of points you can get with a better song.

TAC - Celene: This is more like "wilt" than "blossom", my friend. Do you actually listen to this?

lonestar - Nemophila: Maybe I should do a mandatory female scream vocals round. I wonder what Stadler will send.

ariich - Rioghan: Are there two singers or should I definitely do that mandatory female scream vocals round?

Sacul - Peter Gabriel: For its runtime, felt like the song was beautiful but ultimately lacked dynamics.

LithoJazzoSphere - Draconian: I was one hundred percent sure there will be operatic vocals. Some clever songwriting there.

Full reveal this evening. If anyone wants to compile a Spotify playlist, that'd be cool.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 07:12:05 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2024, 06:23:47 AM »

With this band name I was sure it'll be metal. I was promised nothing yet I feel misled.

For its runtime, felt like the song was beautiful but ultimately lacked dynamics.

Me.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2024, 07:06:34 AM »
Hmnnn lacked dynamics?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2024, 07:11:05 AM »
Yes to both.

Keep in mind that was only the first listen, these are not set in stone.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2024, 07:16:08 AM »
That's fair, it's more subtle in dynamics imo, hope it's grown on you :corn

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2024, 09:31:43 AM »
Hmm, not quite sure if the first half is positive or negative.  Personally I like that they don't have them, lots of other vaguely similar bands do, and sometimes that works well, but I don't think it's necessary.  The flanger on the guitar and the Mellotron is a tip-off that they're a bit different though. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2024, 11:54:49 AM »
Hey Luke I watched the video of your song and apparently it wasn't a trumpet. :lol

I've got two clear favourites that are way ahead of the pack and I don't think that's likely to change. A lot of songs are growing on me too. Despair and frostbite themes are probably a lock at this point, but a few songs are still fighting for the blossom theme. Good round overall.

Round 1 First Impressions

Puppies - Rannoch: Is this loss? Mick Moss? Wait no, is this the guy from Wolverine? Wait no. Do I know this guy? I don't remember anything about the song.

King - Mile Marker Zero: I agree with the message and the philosophy, but it's possible that Scorpions had a better take on this.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Is there a condensed three-minute version of this?

Lonk - Bonobo: All I can remember is that keyboard lick. I think there were vocals too.

wolfking - Sworn: Is this the metal version of the same keyboard lick? And then the song just ended.

Stadler - Alice In Chains: With this band name I was sure it'll be metal. I was promised nothing yet I feel misled.

twosuitsluke: There was chaos and I think a trumpet? This flew by.

Elite - Nat King Cole: 4 is for the amount of points you'll get with this song. 10 is for the amount of points you can get with a better song.

TAC - Celene: This is more like "wilt" than "blossom", my friend. Do you actually listen to this?

lonestar - Nemophila: Maybe I should do a mandatory female scream vocals round. I wonder what Stadler will send.

ariich - Rioghan: Are there two singers or should I definitely do that mandatory female scream vocals round?

Sacul - Peter Gabriel: For its runtime, felt like the song was beautiful but ultimately lacked dynamics.

LithoJazzoSphere - Draconian: I was one hundred percent sure there will be operatic vocals. Some clever songwriting there.

jingle.boy - Jani Liimatainen: Strong start but quickly proceeded losing me as it got more and more uplifting and positive.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2024, 11:56:24 AM »
Hmm, not quite sure if the first half is positive or negative.  Personally I like that they don't have them, lots of other vaguely similar bands do, and sometimes that works well, but I don't think it's necessary.  The flanger on the guitar and the Mellotron is a tip-off that they're a bit different though.

I've no idea what a flanger is. As I said I play (well, more like dabble in) an unplugged acoustic guitar and I don't own a flanger. Or maybe I do and just don't know it. :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2024, 01:47:33 PM »
Hey Luke I watched the video of your song and apparently it wasn't a trumpet. :lol

Yea, this is what threw me. I ruled out the trumpet one straightaway :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2024, 04:39:47 PM »
Yea, this is what threw me. I ruled out the trumpet one straightaway :lol
It's the skin flute.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

Results soon right? You'll be going to bed before long!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Results soon right? You'll be going to bed before long!

I'm working on most of them right now but I think we'll have to push it to Monday as I'd like to give a few additional listens to the songs that I wasn't able to find the files for. I've been neglecting Mile Marker Zero and Every Hell, and I'd like to rectify that tomorrow at work. I could post results this evening but I feel that would be unfair, I'd like another spin or three for the remaining songs.

Online twosuitsluke

Definitely take your time if you need to give mine more listens :lol