Author Topic: How do you think god looks upon those that kill in his name.  (Read 4233 times)

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
Just wondering what do you think god looks at people who kill in his name. I personally am agnostic but if there is a god I honestly think he would condemn the actions. I suspect that alot of responces will be the same but then again i'd like to hear your guys's opinions.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: How do you think god looks upon those that kill in his name.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
I would think that it is even worse than merely just killing someone, since it is doing something evil and attributing it to him.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 05:17:49 PM »
Well according to biblical history, god ordered plenty of people to be killed himself, so I guess that going strictly by the bible he's pretty ok with that.  However, I recognize that putting it that way is mostly unfair since many Christians don't hold a definition of god so strictly to biblical events.  But back when I attended church they were telling our little Sunday group about how god told Joshua to kill every man, woman and child in Canaan, so I guess they (church) thought it was alright to kill in god's name. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »
Well according to biblical history, god ordered plenty of people to be killed himself, so I guess that going strictly by the bible he's pretty ok with that.  However, I recognize that putting it that way is mostly unfair since many Christians don't hold a definition of god so strictly to biblical events.  But back when I attended church they were telling our little Sunday group about how god told Joshua to kill every man, woman and child in Canaan, so I guess they (church) thought it was alright to kill in god's name. 

Uh I think the OP means those that kill in His name when He never said to do so. And I bet it has happened plenty of times.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 06:16:28 PM »

Uh I think the OP means those that kill in His name when He never said to do so. And I bet it has happened plenty of times.

Well I have a feeling that those who DO kill in it's name think that god did indeed tell them to do it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »
I bet they both did. ;)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »

I don't think he ever mentioned a condition of whether the killing was actually administered by god or not.  Whether god approved of killing at all, under his orders or not, is what I thought we were getting at. 

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »
i think it's a misinterpretation of what god and Jesus said that leads to killing.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »

I don't think he ever mentioned a condition of whether the killing was actually administered by god or not.  Whether god approved of killing at all, under his orders or not, is what I thought we were getting at. 

Surely if God exists and He tells people to kill in His name and they do it, they are not condemned for sin. But those that falsely say that God told them to kill and do it are full of sin because they lied and put God in the hotseat to top it off.

Because of that stark difference (with the obvious assumption of God and sin existing), I think it is very important to know what condition the killer was under, be it by man's lies or God's will.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »
Basically I mean killing sort of to please god in a way, (getting rid of nonbelievers or different thinkers). If god told them to do it and condemned them for it would be kinda stupid.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »
What is telling people to kill in his name?

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 08:59:32 PM »
What Jamesman said.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
So it would be OK?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »
What about someone killing because he thinks God said to.  God didnt say to, but the person is 100% convinced it is gods will?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »
@ the OP question: I guess way back when he kinda cared, but these days it doesn't seem to have any consequences if you do so.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »
I think God would be like Nathan Explosion when his fans kill in the name of Dethklok.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »
What about someone killing because he thinks God said to.  God didnt say to, but the person is 100% convinced it is gods will?
That person is mistaken. We could hypothesize fictional scenarios all day, but this seems fairly clear. And there seems to be an assumption in this thread that God was once an asshole but changed his mind sometime in last 2000 years - also a fictional scenario.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »
Curious what is your take on God hardening the Pharaohs heart?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 11:26:22 PM »
Also, good night see you all tomorrow!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 11:56:14 PM »
That person is mistaken. We could hypothesize fictional scenarios all day, but this seems fairly clear. And there seems to be an assumption in this thread that God was once an asshole but changed his mind sometime in last 2000 years - also a fictional scenario.

This brings up a good point. What if some schizo heard God speaking to him and told him to go kill his mother. Can he really be faulted for having a mental illness?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 02:29:10 AM »
Maybe God gave him that illness.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ehra

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »

This brings up a good point. What if some schizo heard God speaking to him and told him to go kill his mother. Can he really be faulted for having a mental illness?

I don't think it really matters what he imagines is telling him to kill his mother, be it God, Satan, or a leprechaun. He's mentally ill and isn't in a healthy state of mind due to no fault of his own.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 07:24:30 AM »

More that he used to be directly engaged with his subjects, but no longer is. I mean, the fact that you say "it is fairly clear" that the man was mistaken shows that you have zero expectations that God interacts directly with people like in the days of Abraham.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 08:55:39 PM »

More that he used to be directly engaged with his subjects, but no longer is. I mean, the fact that you say "it is fairly clear" that the man was mistaken shows that you have zero expectations that God interacts directly with people like in the days of Abraham.

rumborak
I had in mind the idea that God wouldn't command someone to wantonly slaughter other people, but your point is equally valid. Although, ancient Jews didn't understand God as a special spirit buddy to be regularly conversed with. They had a certain reverence for Him that would prohibit such a concept, and indeed it was only certain people that interacted with God throughout the OT.   

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »
Why would you think that God wouldn't command death? He does it a lot and does it himself. This line of thinking is not consisted.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
Why would you think that God wouldn't command death? He does it a lot and does it himself. This line of thinking is not consisted.
You're equivocating. There's a difference between commanding death and doing so unjustly. But I don't want to have the "God is such a dick" argument. Happy weekend, everyone.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
You're equivocating. There's a difference between commanding death and doing so unjustly. But I don't want to have the "God is such a dick" argument. Happy weekend, everyone.

I don't think I am. There are passages where he commands death and commits murder very unjustly.

Online Adami

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 09:59:45 PM »
I guess it would depend on your definition of just. I would imagine that if an ultimate creator of all things did in fact exist, then his simple desire would be by default the most justified thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 10:08:43 PM »
I guess it would depend on your definition of just. I would imagine that if an ultimate creator of all things did in fact exist, then his simple desire would be by default the most justified thing.

And that is what is called might makes right. I love how all morals are thrown out the window when the acts of God are in question.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »

And that is what is called might makes right. I love how all morals are thrown out the window when the acts of God are in question.
I don't think he's actually endorsing that argument, and I'm not either.

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 10:40:55 PM »

Of course I'm not, being agnostic and all, but I've heard others use it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
if you are merely pointing it out Adami, that is fair enough. A person whom is making the argument that God created the universe therefore he can do what he pleases with it. Is most certainly making either a master/slave argument or a might makes right. I see no alternatives.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, 10:45:23 PM »

Of course I'm not, being agnostic and all, but I've heard others use it.
Me too - it's irritating. Cracking a history book, even the Old Testament, is too much to ask of the typical believer.  :\

Offline monk

• Hello mirror so glad to see you my friend
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 06:48:44 PM »
Killing is Killing whether he sanctions it or not, David was stopped from building a temple for him because he was a man of war
I never really knew how bad it was until I heard Deep Space 5
i love how this evolved form dry humping to ass sex
My Site

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 09:32:54 AM »
It depends on what god you're talking about.  I'm sure every god out there has a different point of view.  Or, maybe you should ask the people who invented the gods.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White