Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 294544 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #525 on: August 01, 2015, 02:59:10 AM »
Got Paradise Lost by Milton in the mail yesterday. I'll read that before I start on Life of Pi or Revival. It's been on my to-read-list for far too long.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #526 on: August 01, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. Superb so far, absolutely incredible that this was written in 1953!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #527 on: August 01, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. Superb so far, absolutely incredible that this was written in 1953!
I hope it's better than 2001: Space Odyssey - that book bored me to tears  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #528 on: August 02, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »
Demian by Herman Hesse.
Great so far (as any Hesse's book I read).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #529 on: August 03, 2015, 08:33:52 AM »
Some light summer reading: Insurance for Dummies by Jack Hungelmann.  I'm starting to think about life insurance, disability insurance and umbrella insurance due to some expected changes in the next few years.  As of right now, there is no need for much of it, since neither my wife or I depend on the other's income.  But home purchase, etc. would change that..

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #530 on: August 03, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »
I've never read it, but always wanted to. 

SyFy is adapting it to a TV mini-series out later this year, starring Charles Dance.  Looking forward to that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #531 on: August 03, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
Weaveworld by Clive Barker.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #532 on: August 03, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
I've never read it, but always wanted to. 

SyFy is adapting it to a TV mini-series out later this year, starring Charles Dance.  Looking forward to that.
Oh fantastic, had no idea about that!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #533 on: August 05, 2015, 05:56:24 AM »
Finished Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell, awesome book. If you want to read a fantasy written with kick-ass witty old-school prose like a Jane Austen novel and awesome characters like a Dickens novel, check it out.

My next four books, though I don't know what order I'll read them, are One Hundred Years of Solitude, Blood Meridian, The Brothers Karamazov, and Winnie the Pooh.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #534 on: August 05, 2015, 08:13:01 AM »
My next four books, though I don't know what order I'll read them, are One Hundred Years of Solitude, Blood Meridian, The Brothers Karamazov, and Winnie the Pooh.
I've been meaning to read that one for a long time  :tup

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #535 on: August 05, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »
One Hundred Years of Solitude is an absolute must read for everyone! I had to read it for my high school Spanish class and I loved it!

Also, the first The Dark Tower movie has been slated for a 2017 release!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #536 on: August 05, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »
I heard great things about One Hundred Years of Solitude as well as horrible ones :P I still feel I should read some of Marquez's work.
Being a detective novel fan (especially Agatha Christie's books) I started with The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle. My first Sherlock novel, it's good although there's something about writing style I don't like that much.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #537 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:15 PM »
Yeah, Duma Key was pretty good. But I think it's one of those books that I will have to read again in the future so I can get everything. Reading Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis right now. Will hopefully be done that tonight or tomorrow. Then I will start reading Little Children by Tom Perrotta.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline adace

« Reply #538 on: August 10, 2015, 04:26:06 AM »
Started to read Armada by Ernest Cline but I put it down halfway through. I just couldn't connect with the story like I did with Ready Player One. It felt really cheesy (in a bad way), lacked the story depth that RPO has, and the pop culture references wore out their welcome pretty quickly.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #539 on: August 10, 2015, 06:40:06 AM »
I’m about 1/4 through 100 Years.

This shit is dense. It has one of the densest plots of any book I’ve read.  Considering it’s set in a tiny village in the swamp in the wilderness, there’s so much happening.

Pretty good so far.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #540 on: August 21, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »
I’m about 1/4 through 100 Years.

This shit is dense. It has one of the densest plots of any book I’ve read.  Considering it’s set in a tiny village in the swamp in the wilderness, there’s so much happening.

Pretty good so far.
Oh yes it is! And it's oh so good!

I read that in my last year of high school and took a test where one of the questions was to write the whole Buendía family tree. Colonel Aureliano Buendía was just the worst for that!

Started reading Andy Weir's The Martian and I'm absolutely loving it!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #541 on: August 21, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »
I’m now 3/4 in.

It never lets up. The plot density is unbelievable. The way character names and traits and events reoccur over the decades makes it really dizzying. Everything feels frayed and blurred at the edges, which I assume is the intended effect. Even without the magic going on, the story feels like a giant weird head rush.

I read that in my last year of high school and took a test where one of the questions was to write the whole Buendía family tree. Colonel Aureliano Buendía was just the worst for that!

Started reading Andy Weir's The Martian and I'm absolutely loving it!
The whole family tree? That’s insane. It’s so hard to keep up with who’s who at this point. Sometimes, I’ll try to remember two characters’ relation to each other, and normally, I can’t do it.

I’ve read so much praise for The Martian that I brought it right up my to-read list for a while. I’ll definitely get to it eventually.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #542 on: August 21, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »
I read the Martian right after it was released. Good book but I felt like the main characters comedic relief was too much and took away from the intensity. As soon as I read it I said it would make a hell of a movie, and then how many months later it was announced, so I hope they do good by it.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #543 on: August 22, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Before that it was Little Children by Tom Perrotta.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #544 on: August 24, 2015, 07:52:42 PM »
I've finished with The Martian and I loved the humor of the character! It was almost like a defense mechanism against depression. Anyway, amazing book! Cannot recommend it enough!

I think I'll continue with the space theme and read Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #545 on: August 26, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »
Just finished the wind through the keyhole by stephen king.

Overall I liked it but I had some issues on how the book was structured. I feel like the skin man story and the wind through the keyhole story should have been completely separate novellas. I was really getting interested in the Skin Man story when it switches over to TWTTKH story. It kinda felt like a 200 page interruption to me.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #546 on: August 26, 2015, 03:07:46 PM »
Been reading A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick. So far so good!

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #547 on: August 27, 2015, 01:17:17 PM »
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #548 on: August 29, 2015, 04:16:31 AM »
Been reading A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick. So far so good!
I just read Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep(Blade Runner) and I plan to read Scanner Darkly since I liked Dick's style.
Right now I'm reading Erich Kastner's Fabian. I read just few chapters so far but I thought I'd like it more.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #549 on: September 18, 2015, 06:46:18 AM »
Finished Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.

I will soon begin re-reading his other books and stories that are related to The Dark Tower, but first:

John Constantine, Hellblazer: Original Sins by Jamie Delano, John Ridgway, Alfredo Alcala, Rick Veitch, and Tom Mandrake
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #550 on: September 18, 2015, 08:00:39 AM »

I will soon begin re-reading his other books and stories that are related to The Dark Tower, but first:

John Constantine, Hellblazer: Original Sins by Jamie Delano, John Ridgway, Alfredo Alcala, Rick Veitch, and Tom Mandrake

I've done that two or three years ago, but it's almost every book King has written that's connected to The Dark Tower.

Currently reading: S. Johnathan Davis - 900 Minutes: cheap and cheesy zombie thriller but somehow entertaining. After that probably Tad Williams - Happy Hour In Hell
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #551 on: September 18, 2015, 08:04:34 AM »

I've done that two or three years ago, but it's almost every book King has written that's connected to The Dark Tower.
I will be selective with it.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #552 on: September 18, 2015, 09:01:15 AM »
Yeah, makes much more sense that way. I had a list of books that should be connected but sometimes it was no more than a name or the mention of a person and it didn't really enlighten me on the overall story.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online kaos2900

« Reply #553 on: September 18, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »

Interesting approach. I saved the Dark Tower for last and read every single thing King put starting with Carrie. Took about 5 years.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #554 on: September 18, 2015, 11:49:01 AM »
Well, I read the vast majority of his works at publication date.  This is all re-reading for me.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #555 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:10 PM »
So Hef, what's your opinion on the last parts of The Dark Tower? Specifically the battle and what happens inside of the tower.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #556 on: September 18, 2015, 11:50:17 PM »
I've read the Dark Tower, but you could spoiler shrink that sentence for the benefit of other folks.

Starting Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov tonight. Eek?

Offline adace

« Reply #557 on: September 19, 2015, 01:41:57 AM »
The Light Between Oceans was fantastic. Incredible story and atmosphere. Can't wait for the movie.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #558 on: September 19, 2015, 04:09:55 AM »
So Hef, what's your opinion on the last parts of The Dark Tower? Specifically the battle and what happens inside of the tower.
The first time I read it (at publication), I didn't care for it.

Upon re-reading it, I am OK with it.  It makes a weird kind of sense to me, and I am at peace. 

But I certainly understand how someone may be upset with it, because that's how I used to see it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #559 on: September 19, 2015, 05:05:29 AM »
I liked the ending of the Dark Tower, though I didn't care for the chapter in New York immediately before it. Felt a little too syrupy.

Also wasn't that much a fan of the solution to everything being a guy that's introduced three quarters into the last book, but oh well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!