Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 143575 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #2555 on: July 24, 2023, 06:15:46 AM »
Despite JP's brief moment of too much excitement (shred) in his solo :P :lol, I love Transcending Time and feel it is a top 2 song from this record along with Awaken the Master.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2556 on: July 24, 2023, 07:01:21 AM »
Despite JP's brief moment of too much excitement (shred) in his solo :P :lol, I love Transcending Time and feel it is a top 2 song from this record along with Awaken the Master.

TT is actually my favorite song on the record (though the title track is close).

Offline Kram

« Reply #2557 on: July 24, 2023, 12:20:04 PM »

TT is actually my favorite song on the record (though the title track is close).
It's my second to least favorite on the album (Invisible Monster) - but that doesn't mean it's bad or I don't like it, I just like the others better.  But I share Kev's opinion on the solo for sure.  That's one spot, IMO, he should've "reigned it in" a bit if you will..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 04:24:31 PM by Kram »

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2558 on: July 24, 2023, 06:00:48 PM »
I wonder if the reason why the TT solo is the way it is has to do with its predecessors: Barstool Warrior and Looking Glass are similar style songs but their solos are same tonality and 'safer' I guess. Maybe he wanted to try something new? I agree it sounds a bit out of place as does the shift to minor in general.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2559 on: July 24, 2023, 06:20:42 PM »
I like the randomness of the shredding part of that solo. It seems that he was having some fun in the studio. Either that or voicing some frustration through his guitar. Whatever way, it's awesome!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2560 on: July 24, 2023, 06:52:34 PM »

It's my second to least favorite on the album (Invisible Monster) - but that doesn't mean it's bad or I don't like it, I just like the others better.  But I share Kev's opinion on the solo for sure.  That's one spot, IMO, he should've "reigned it in" a bit if you will..

I chalk it up as one of their "we just can't help ourselves but to shred" moments.  They have a lot of those.  :lol :lol

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #2561 on: July 25, 2023, 08:51:14 AM »
In competition as my favorite DT DVD.
Same, if you mean its competitor is Score ✨

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2562 on: July 26, 2023, 07:50:14 PM »
I made a DT Live mix to fit on 1 CD for the car. I called it " 5 Live". I'm going to do a double Live CD mix next. I enjoy it, what can I say.

1) Lines In The Sand. (Chaos In Motion)
2) Scarred. (Chaos In Motion)
3) To Live Forever. (A Dramatic Tour Of Events)
4) The Count Of Tuscany. (A Dramatic Tour Of Events)
5) Illumination Theory. (Breaking The Fourth Wall)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2563 on: July 27, 2023, 07:55:48 AM »

Right. I mean, Live Scenes is awesome (that setlist!) and my original favorite but the production values are sorely lacking and James wasn't at his best (he nailed ACOS though). I also love Luna Park (another great setlist) but JP's guitar is too dominant in the mix.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: July 27, 2023, 08:42:40 AM »
I made a DT Live mix to fit on 1 CD for the car. I called it " 5 Live". I'm going to do a double Live CD mix next. I enjoy it, what can I say.

That's a pretty damn good playlist. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2565 on: July 27, 2023, 09:04:01 AM »
At one point I started a live DT project where I chose my favorite live version of every DT song to make a big playlist with them. I really hope to finish it at some point soon, but there's too many versions to check out :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #2566 on: July 27, 2023, 09:38:18 AM »

Right. I mean, Live Scenes is awesome (that setlist!) and my original favorite but the production values are sorely lacking and James wasn't at his best (he nailed ACOS though). I also love Luna Park (another great setlist) but JP's guitar is too dominant in the mix.
I would rank them Score, Breaking the Fourth Wall, and Luna Park, in that order.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2567 on: July 27, 2023, 09:48:00 AM »

This may be the only DT song where I almost ALWAYS skip the album version.  Live or nothing at all for me when it comes to Lines in the Sand. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2568 on: July 27, 2023, 10:30:56 AM »

This may be the only DT song where I almost ALWAYS skip the album version.  Live or nothing at all for me when it comes to Lines in the Sand.
See, I've never heard a live version that I like better than the original studio recording.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2569 on: July 27, 2023, 10:32:59 AM »
Budokan Hollow years has made the FII version unlistenable to me.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #2570 on: July 27, 2023, 10:40:57 AM »
To each there own, I'm well aware of that. But a common dislike here on DTF is the album lacking diversaty. And that I can't understand... There is so much in this album to enjoy and it covers the wide spectrum of Dream Theater definitely, I would say. There is heavy metal with Awaken the Master, there's that positive-vibe Transcending Time... The Alien and Invisible Monster are more easy to the ears, more mainstream-oriented and there is that absolute epic. Within this epic the ballad is hidden (cello-part) and Sleeping Giant is as complex as Dream Theater can be, due to it's build-up. There is that familiar Awake-sound, but stylistically total different.

The only two albums which could be point out as lack of diversaty are Train of Thought (heavy metal) and The Astonishing, which completely covers the other side of their spectrum. But A View is totally a classic in their discography, for me.

Agreed. It's become my second favorite of all time behind Images and Words. Transcending Time is my least favorite song on it but not to the point where I skip it. The title track is my favorite (I absolutely LOVE that cello part, it's brilliant), followed by Answering the Call, then Invisible Monster and The Alien (tied).  I've been kind of obsessed with this album again recently, it's just so great.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2571 on: July 27, 2023, 11:44:35 AM »
It's become my second favorite of all time behind Images and Words. Transcending Time is my least favorite song on it but not to the point where I skip it. The title track is my favorite (I absolutely LOVE that cello part, it's brilliant), followed by Answering the Call, then Invisible Monster and The Alien (tied).  I've been kind of obsessed with this album again recently, it's just so great.

A View is absolutely a favorite of mine, from the very first listen. But with Dream Theater I have many favorites. I've known the band for six years or so now and in these years, I've spend hours and hours on their discography. Falling Into Infinity is most likely my least favorite, but even that 's gorgious. I just can't spin a vinyl which starts with New Millennium and You Not Me. It's close to awful way to start a record.

Transcending Time is so uplifting that it influences my mood everytime. I can't help it, smiling while I'm driving my car or riding the bike. And there is not one song in their entire discography that comes even close... and still it's 'Dream Theater' all-over.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #2572 on: July 27, 2023, 12:10:55 PM »
Transcending Time is so uplifting that it influences my mood everytime. I can't help it, smiling while I'm driving my car or riding the bike. And there is not one song in their entire discography that comes even close... and still it's 'Dream Theater' all-over.

I can't disagree with you that it's very uplifting. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2573 on: July 27, 2023, 12:33:20 PM »

I can't disagree with you that it's very uplifting. Maybe it'll grow on me.

That song would've fit on I&W or Awake. I love it!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2574 on: July 31, 2023, 07:56:07 PM »

See, I've never heard a live version that I like better than the original studio recording.

Probably because live versions don’t have Pinnick is why many prefer them. Very polarizing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: August 01, 2023, 06:27:27 AM »

Probably because live versions don’t have Pinnick is why many prefer them. Very polarizing.

That's it for me. Pinnick ruins that song for me.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2576 on: August 01, 2023, 08:18:06 AM »

exactly, at least for me. 

Offline JLa

« Reply #2577 on: August 01, 2023, 01:39:10 PM »
I think my main gripe with A View... is that I don't like The Alien. At all. It's an insta-skip for me. The other tracks are quite good actually, but skipping the opener every time kind of ruins the mood.  :lol

Sleeping Giant and the title track are my favorites. All in all a solid effort, somewhere around 6-7/10?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2578 on: August 01, 2023, 01:54:25 PM »
I think my main gripe with A View... is that I don't like The Alien. At all. It's an insta-skip for me. The other tracks are quite good actually, but skipping the opener every time kind of ruins the mood.  :lol

I mean, I still like Train Of Thought and Awake.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JLa

« Reply #2579 on: August 01, 2023, 01:55:48 PM »

I mean, I still like Train Of Thought and Awake.
Hah! As I Am and 6:00 are both 10/10 tracks for me.  :biggrin:

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2580 on: August 01, 2023, 11:34:37 PM »
Pull Me Under is not that much of an opener as well... but Falling Into Infinity completes this genre. Only the real die-hards can keep the spirit groovin', after skipping both track #1 and #2.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2581 on: August 02, 2023, 12:33:13 AM »
I think my main gripe with A View... is that I don't like The Alien. At all. It's an insta-skip for me.
Wow, I love The Alien!  Pure high energy prog metal right out of the gate.  :metal
It must not be a very good song though because it won a grammy.  So mainstream!  😁
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:36:02 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2582 on: August 02, 2023, 03:16:35 AM »
I'm sure we all feel the same way about Better than You by Metallica :metal :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 06:32:33 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2583 on: August 03, 2023, 11:57:59 PM »
Pull Me Under is not that much of an opener as well... but Falling Into Infinity completes this genre. Only the real die-hards can keep the spirit groovin', after skipping both track #1 and #2.

I thought this said “Failing Into Infinity” which is funny but I love the album. My only gripe is there are too many ballads, good ballads, just one too many.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2584 on: September 19, 2023, 06:44:47 AM »
I have been listening to this album a lot over the past couple of days, and holy cow, it really does sound amazing. The quality of the recordings, the sound engineering, and the mix as well are generally just great.

One thought I did have though... Every once in a while, you'll hear some faint piano in the background or some other cool sound that's not nearly as loud as the guitars. Even though this album sounds great, I do wonder if it could've been unlocked further by letting more instruments shine in the mix from time to time. It makes sense that the guitars are usually front and center considering JP is the producer, but I'd personally love if the keyboards in particular were dialed up.

A good example of this is actually I Walk Beside You from almost 20 years ago (geez). The live recording of the song on Score features the piano a lot more prominently, which is why I prefer that version of the song. I feel like there would be some potential for that kind of thing here as well.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2585 on: September 20, 2023, 01:59:48 PM »
I was just listening to it in passing yesterday and it immediately jumps out how good this album sounds. I echo everything TheOutlawXanadu said, it's a great listening experience overall.
Going to have to re-listen to figure out the keyboards being hidden being referred to.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2586 on: September 20, 2023, 02:37:52 PM »
I was just listening to it in passing yesterday and it immediately jumps out how good this album sounds. I echo everything TheOutlawXanadu said, it's a great listening experience overall.
Going to have to re-listen to figure out the keyboards being hidden being referred to.

I'll echo both of you guys!

It's funny–I don't consider AVFTOTW a top-tier album, but I thoroughly enjoy listening to it, and have revisited it often over the past couple of years. In fact, it's probably gotten more repeated play than any other Mangini-era album (save ADTOE).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2587 on: September 20, 2023, 02:49:10 PM »

I love that; hearing things buried in the mix.  Sometimes I feel like they should be higher, but I sort of like the puzzle nature of it all.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2588 on: September 20, 2023, 06:09:43 PM »
This album keeps slipping further and further down my rankings. I really don’t care for it.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2589 on: September 21, 2023, 08:03:12 AM »
I’m kinda feeling that way too. Yes, it sounds great. It’s easy on the ears and makes for an enjoyable listen. And I listen to it quite often. But are the songs really as good as stuff they’ve done in the past? Well….not really. Not to me anyways. Really every album post-ADTOE kinda lacks character. There are exceptions. But there aren’t many.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?